Wow! Richlands to get Macado's? In the RR house?

BigD4VT

http://www.richlands-news-press.com/serv...path=!frontpage

As a local history buff I love the idea of turning the old N&W station house into a restaurant. It's one of the oldest buildings in town and I would hate to see it torn down... Especially after already losing the Mattie Williams and seeing a "for sale" sign on the White's building... But it seems like an awfully small property for a Macado's. What about parking?

[ QUOTE ]

http://www.richlands-news-press.com/serv...path=!frontpage

As a local history buff I love the idea of turning the old N&W station house into a restaurant. It's one of the oldest buildings in town and I would hate to see it torn down... Especially after already losing the Mattie Williams and seeing a "for sale" sign on the White's building... But it seems like an awfully small property for a Macado's. What about parking?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be way cool if this were to materialize, but I'm wondering if Rich Macher knows about this article. Having dealt with him before, I wouldn't get terribly excited about the prospect unless he actually purchases the property.

Also a bit odd for the IDA to be involved in this kind of deal. If there are incentives associated with it, that could backfire on that group in a big way.

If it happens or not, I'm very impressed with Brian Wright. I know he was hired part-time to salvage the Farmer's Market project but he has already done much more. Including actively pursuing an "Historic District" designation for the downtown area. That designation would hopefully ensure the few original building we have left will remain.

[ QUOTE ]

If it happens or not, I'm very impressed with Brian Wright. I know he was hired part-time to salvage the Farmer's Market project but he has already done much more. Including actively pursuing an "Historic District" designation for the downtown area. That designation would hopefully ensure the few original building we have left will remain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not familiar with Mr. Wright personally (at least I don't think I am), but he sounds like the just the kind of guy that Richlands needs. Hopefully he'll stick around for a while.

And I'll keep my fingers crossed on the Macado's thing. That really would be a tremendous boost.

Actuallly wouldn't the old Whites building server Macado's a little better,especially size wise. Thing that has always gotten me about the Town of Richlands is that when it comes the mixed drinks and alcohol they don't want it in the town.I for one dont see a difference when we have Jr's,the bar in the holiday inn express and j walters all serving beer and what not.

I don't mind the mixed drinks. No one is going to go in there and get loaded every night (unless they have a lot of cash to throw away) and it would open a lot of doors for the town.

The White's building would probably be too expensive for a Macodo's. Not only to purchase it but to restore it. I would like to see that building turned into an apartment building. Maybe with a restaurant, shops or offices on the ground floor.

The main reason is that mixed beverages can be sold in any facility developed by a regional IDA as long as one of the member communities allows mixed beverages. (The law was passed to allow a motel to be developed in Duffield in the 1980's.)

The other reason to involve the IDA is it can issue tax exempt bonds.

I think the mall would have to be revived before another resturant could survive down there. I'd rather see the mall and that entire area turned back to industrial like it was before the mall opened.

that whole end of town is sittin to waste... no one really goes to it much....shoneys dont even get alot of bussiness on that side of the road....the new mcdonalds is covered up now that it moved up the street..

I always say "i'll believe it when i see it" when it comes to seeing something come into Richlands.

Don't get too excited over this Macado's deal. They said they had been talking for 18 months about it. Do what? How long does it take to get a deal done?

Also, Macado's was supposed to open in Bristol and Johnson City and now they are not going into either city.

So until i see a sign down there that says "grand opening on so and so date" i won't believe it.

And why not locate at Claypool Hill? That area is growing at a much faster pace.

From what I understand, Macado's is a done deal. It will be coming to Richlands. I've also heard that Hardee's will be opening a place at Claypool Hill along with Texas Roadhouse grill. From what I understand, Hardee's owns Texas roadhouse and they will be built around the same time.

[ QUOTE ]

From what I understand, Macado's is a done deal. It will be coming to Richlands. I've also heard that Hardee's will be opening a place at Claypool Hill along with Texas Roadhouse grill. From what I understand, Hardee's owns Texas roadhouse and they will be built around the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the IDA is involved, I would imagine that Macado's probably will happen. Macher's thing is renovating old buildings in downtown settings. If he's getting some kind of incentive package that reduces his risk, I can't imagine any reason why he wouldn't pursue a Richlands shop.

I'm really curious about the role the IDA is playing in this deal. If they're just the mechanism that allows liquor by the drink to work, that's not a big deal. If there are actual incentives involved, that's another story entirely. It's more than a bit odd for an IDA to give incentives for restaurant development. And it's not the kind of precedent that the county ought to set, IMO. I've got to think that owners of current businesses like Vandy's and Cuz's are going to wonder what kind of help they're going to be entitled to receive.

• 1 month later...

BigD If I am not mistake wasn't the old RR house and property donated to the town on the grouds that they turn it into a RR museum? Thought I read something in the paper a few years back and wasn't it designated as "historical". Would it not be hard to remove that designation?

Actually, the railroad donated the house but not the land to the town. I don't know the details but I do know if the town tears the building down the land will revert back to Norfolk Southern. They asked the railroad a few years ago to donate the land so they could build a new library but were turned down. I think the owner of Macado's is trying to buy the land from the railroad and I assume the town would then donate the building to him.