Co-players of the Year in the SWD????

GMan

Are they serious??? What kind of criteria did they use to come up with that???

I'm sorry but the kid from Richlands, even though he is a decent player, doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Garland Green. Garland is head and shoulders above everyone else in the district and should be the one and only PLAYER OF THE YEAR in the SWD.

Seems to me the SWD needs to come up with a new way of determining the Player of the Year instead of it being a "popularity contest". This is the biggest farce I've ever seen or heard of...

5 to 1 says one of the "co-players of the year" doesn't even qualify for the State Tournament unless his whole team does...Garland, on the other hand, will do fine at States...

From the BDT...and he's not even the best "golfer" on his team either...I'm still shaking my head in disbelief...

Tornado strikes SWD tournament

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

GALAX, Va. — One accomplishment down. Garland Green wants even more.

Green fired a 6-under par 64 at the regular season-ending Southwest District Tournament on Monday at Blue Ridge Country Club, earning medalist honors and setting the Tazewell senior up for what he hopes is a good run over the next few weeks.

“It’s been a great year,” said Green, who shared the SWD player of the year honors with Richlands’ Taylor Lindsey. “I’m just hoping to get better for regions and state. I still have more to go.”

So does the Richlands golf team, which fired a team total of 304 to earn the district tournament title. They’ll join regular season champion Tazewell at the Region IV Tournament next Monday at Holston Hills Country Club in Marion, Va. Richlands shot a 304 to Graham’s 310.

The top two teams and the top six individuals not on those clubs will qualify for the Group AA golf tourney on Oct. 9-10 at Roanoke Country Club.

“Obviously Tazewell didn’t have much work to do so us, Graham and Carroll County had to fight for that final spot to get in the regions,” Richlands coach Matt Dixon said. “It was good to come out on top.”

Those teams will be joined in Marion by six individuals, including five from Graham, led by Hunter O’Neal, who paced the G-Men with a 76, J.D. Hunter (77), Chaz Cole (77), Matthew Morgan (80) and Dustin Hicks (80). Carroll County’s Clay Iroler (82) will also make the trip.

“We would have liked to have won, the last time we played here we shot a 305 so we missed (the lead) this time by six strokes, but the kids really hung in there,” Graham coach Ed Shaffrey said. “They didn’t play that well on the front nine, but they played extremely well on the back nine.

“We came back from a nine-stroke deficit to a couple of strokes and came in second. Having five individuals to go, that is quite an honor.”

Green, one of the top junior golfers in Virginia, shot a consistent 32 on both sides of the par 70, 6,104-yard course.

“I had seven birdies and one bogey, it was a good solid round,” Green said. “It’s a pretty hard course, I just kept hitting all my wedges in close and hitting all the putts.”

Richlands’ Dennis was closest to Green, shooting a 72. Lindsey added a 74, Connor McCall had a 77 and Nathan Ashworth tossed in an 81 to lead the Tornado to the tourney win.

“My three seniors really stepped up, Connor, Jonathan and Taylor, they played excellent and they really carried our team,” Dixon said. “We had our sophomore, Nathan Ashworth, come in with an 81 and that really helped us.

“We played real well under pressure situations so we’re real pleased.”

Lindsey wasn’t especially happy with his round. Unlike Green who couldn’t miss a putt, the Richlands’ senior said he couldn’t make one.

“I wasn’t too pleased with today’s play. I had a few bad holes on the back side,” said Lindsey, who shot a 36 followed by a 38. “It’s not that hard a course. It’s pretty straight and wide open, but I just couldn’t get any putts to fall.”

Still, Lindsey joined Green as a co-winner of the SWD player of the year award.

“I’m pleased with it,” Lindsey said. “I was kind of surprised at first having played with Garland since he’s such a good player.

“Taylor is a good kid, he’s one of the best kids I’ve ever coached,” added Dixon. “He’s calm, his demeanor is great on the golf course. You never know if he’s shooting 70 or 80, he always stays the same and he’s a fine player to coach.”

Next up is Marion. Richlands, Tazewell and Graham were part of a nine-hole match at Holston Hills two weeks ago, with the Tornado coming out on top.

“We played well the last time we went to Holston Hills in a nine-hole match,” Dixon said. “We actually won that tournament so we’re pretty excited about going back there. We’ll just have to see what happens.”

Southwest District Tournament

at Blue Ridge Country Club

Team, Individual Results

(team total=best four scores)

Richlands (304) — Jonathan Dennis 36-36=72, Taylor Lindsey 36-38=74, Connor McCall 38-39=77, Nathan Ashworth 41-40=81 (Ben Mulkey 46-42=88, Marcus Jesse 40-51=91).

Graham (310) — Hunter O’Neal 36-40=76, J.D. Hunter 41-36=77, Chaz Cole 42-35=77, Matthew Morgan 44-36=80 (Dustin Hicks 40-40=80), Chad Brady (51-49=100)

Tazewell (313) — Garland Green 32-32=64, Ryan Gillespie 40-40=80, Zach Cline 42-42=84, Drew Cecil 39-46=85 (James Maloyed 45-47=92; Chip Deskins 49-51=100)

Carroll County (339) — Clay Iroler 40-42=82, Tyler Worrell 44-39=83, Cristie Edwards 43-44=87; Erick Cox 45-42=87 (Chris Patton 42-45=87, Justin Edwards 51-46=97)

SWD Co-Players of Year: Garland Green, Taylor Lindsey

Top 6 (tie for 6th): Green 64, Dennis 72, Lindsey 74, O’Neal 76, Cole 77, Hunter 77, McCall 77

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_268233656.html?keyword=secondarystory

I saw the Lindsey kid play last fall, and he is not bad. A good high school golfer.

Garland on the other hand is a great golfer. Just check out the gap between him and everyone else in the District Tournament. He plays competitively with any amateur golfers anywhere.

I would love to see the voting on this one.

They have had the Players of The Year Planned out for a while.

Jared and Jeremy got it 2003 because they were seniors.

Connor got it in 2004 because he dominated everybody else, and there were not any good senior golfers.

Marshall got it in 2005 because he was a senior.

Garland and Taylor got it because they were seniors.

They waited until next year for JD because....he will be a senior.

Is anyone seeing a trend here?

They have had this planned out for a while, and I heard this directly from the coaches.

i agree, and not only in this particular sport. last year in volleyball, carroll county had an outside hitter that broke the school record for kills in a season (she ended up with 298, i believe), and she was outvoted for player of the year because all of the tazewell county schools stuck together and voted a girl from tazewell as player of the year.

i am originally from tazewell county, and believe me, i've got nothing against the area. but, carroll county volleyball is head and shoulders above the rest of the district--just come to a match. there's absolutely no way the tazewell girl was a better player than the girl from carroll.

things just get way too political when it comes time to hand out awards, and really, the athletes are the ones hurt by all this.

I agree with you completely.

I know in the golf situation, every coach was making sure his player got player of the year. It would not matter who had an awesome year or who played like crap, it was all about the politics.

buncha BS

I've seen the politics of these votes first hand and I don't think that its done right. If you don't vote for your own players you probably won't get votes due to someone not liking you as a coach or your school. The SWD is biased to some degree. Look at how they do basketball and football. How can you have 30 or 40 first team all district players. Pick 11 and move on. Basketball usually will have 1 from each of the 5 teams unless 1 team is absolutely terrible. It makes no sense.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but the kid from Richlands, even though he is a decent player, doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Garland Green. Garland is head and shoulders above everyone else in the district and should be the one and only PLAYER OF THE YEAR in the SWD.

Seems to me the SWD needs to come up with a new way of determining the Player of the Year instead of it being a "popularity contest". This is the biggest farce I've ever seen or heard of...

5 to 1 says one of the "co-players of the year" doesn't even qualify for the State Tournament unless his whole team does...Garland, on the other hand, will do fine at States...

[/ QUOTE ]

man i cant believe yall made me click on this to read about golf, lets keep this forum on sports

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

man i cant believe yall made me click on this to read about golf, lets keep this forum on sports

[/ QUOTE ]

That post displays your full level of arrogance and ignorance.

If you don't think golf is a sport, let’s go play and then see how you feel.

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Somone that makes a statement like that has either:

1.) Never even tried. (Thus showing real stupidity.)

2.) Got frustrated and quit, like a damn baby.

If you don't want to play golf that's your business. But don't belittle the 26 million+ Americans that do. Any questions?