Region IV Tournament - Fri./Sat.

bulldog4ever

Martinsville Middle School - 4:00 Fri./9:00 Sat.

GOOD LUCK Tazewell Wrestlers!!!!

Cody Wilson, Luke Allison, Tyler Crouse, Shane Wilson, Yatrick Patel, Cody Parnell, Cody Grady, Danny Shrader,James Hewitt, Eric McDaniel, Luis Asbury, and David Bowling

From Tricities.com

The storyline from the Region IV wrestling tournament offered more suspense than usual, yet the conclusion was familiar.

The Grundy Golden Wave won its 25th straight championship Saturday at Martinsville Middle School.

Fans were buzzing after Friday’s quarterfinal session as Highlands District champion Abingdon built a six-point lead.

"I knew Abingdon was happy with that lead and wanting to build on it. Our job was to snatch that lead away," Grundy coach Travis Fiser said.

Three Grundy Wave wrestlers won in the championship flight, as Grundy compiled 214.50 points. Abingdon followed with 186 points, with Martinsville (178.50) and Marion (134) next in line.

Grundy won by a 100-point margin last season over Magna Vista, then finished 15th in the Group AA state tournament. A dozen wrestlers returned from that team, including three juniors who placed at state.

Fiser, who earned 2007 Region IV coach of the year honors, said he wasn’t worried that his youthful squad would lose their regional supremacy.

"Every tournament we’ve been in has been close,’ Fiser said. "I thought we should have had a couple more state qualifiers. We did get eight and all our guys wrestled hard.

"It’s a tough region, but I think we can build some momentum for state."

Eight Abingdon wrestlers qualified for next week’s state tournament in Salem.

"I’m glad to have that many qualifiers, but there were a couple of things that could have turned out better," said AHS coach Clayton Scott, who relies on just two seniors. "Once Grundy got the lead, it never let up.

"I guess we are closing the gap in a sense. Grundy does have a tough middle school team and they are still going to be a force."

Devon Puriefoy led Abingdon with his second regional title, winning a 5-3 decision over Evan Simmons of Richlands. Puriefoy is the younger brother of P.J. Puriefoy, who qualified for the NAIA national wrestling tournament this season with King College.

"P.J. was here for this match and he’s a big inspiration," said Puriefoy, who has over 100 career wins "I train with my brother often at King, and he always tells me to get my head right and click it on. I could have wrestled better, but I’ll take any win I can get."

Devon Puriefoy is ranked third in his weight class among Group AA wrestlers. He hopes to follow his brother and wrestle at King next season.

"I was a match away from placing at state last year. It’s time for me to get on that podium," Puriefoy said.

Puriefoy shared Highlands wrestler of the year honors with Virginia High’s Brandon Castle.

Five VHS wrestlers qualified for state, including Castle.

VHS junior Chase Owens was involved in one of the day’s most exciting matches at 189 pounds. After falling behind 6-4 late in the third period, Owens used a commanding head and arm bar move to record a 9-6 victory over Josh Lee of Grundy. Lee was ranked third in the state earlier this season.

"I was a little worried, but I’ve been wrestling a long time and I knew that I could pull something out," said Owens, who also executed a Granby roll on Lee. "I had saving that head and arm bar move."

It was the first regional title for Owens, who is considering a venture into pro wrestling after high school.

"I take the sport serious and I’m always trying to learn new things," Owens said.

Castle, who hopes to wrestle at Carson Newman, entered the day with a resume featuring four district and two regional titles along with a school-record 140 wins. He posted a 2-0 decision in the 119-pound final over Grundy’s Ethan Owens.

"That was a chess match," said the 5-foot-6 Castle. "I was hungry for this tournament, but Owens is a very strong kid with good moves on top.

"Next week begins a whole new season, and I’m prepared as I can be. I’ve had a great time at Virginia High. We were able to put together a full lineup this season and we’ve all done well.

Castle finished fourth in the state last year, but each of those wrestlers have graduated.

"We were just a couple minutes away from qualifying six for state, but I’m really glad to have five," VHS coach Ed Cressel said.

The good news for Southwest Virginia fans began at the 112-pound class as Tazewell freshman Luke Allison posted an 8-7 decision. For Allison, it was another step in a wrestling journey which began in the third grade.

"I really didn’t expect all this, but I’ve worked hard for years with the Tazewell wrestling club and my coaches have really helped," Allison said. "My key today was just determination."

Allison has a record of 32-5, with only one of those losses coming at 112 pounds. Multi-sport standout Eric McDaniel won the other regional title for Tazewell, with a fall in 3:36 over Abingdon’s Zac Mitchell.

The difference makers for Grundy were individual champs Jonathan Dotson (125), Jarrett Landis (135) and Jerami Bartley at 160 pounds.

"We were kind of nervous after Friday, but we were also excited with all the guys we had going to the semifinals," Bartley said. "We’re used to fans rooting against us and teams getting motivated to wrestle us.

" We’re having a good year, though, and a lot of our freshmen have stepped up."

Bartley stopped Martinsville’s Ricky Flood by a 4-3 margin in a wild four-overtime match. The deciding move for Bartley came on a Kamikaze roll which included a forward kick and roll.

"I actually learned that move from a former University of Iowa wrestling during a summer camp in Ohio," Bartley said. "You have to always keep working for more in this sport."

Congratulations ~ Good Luck at State!

Tazewell: 7th place overall

Luke Allison - 112 lb. Champion

Eric McDaniel - 171 lb.Champion - 102 Career Wins

Shane Wilson - 125 lb. 2nd place

Cody Wilson - 103 lb. 3rd place

David Bowling - Hwt 4th place

Tyler Crouse - 119 lb. 6th place

Richlands:

Evan Simmons - 2nd place

Ethan Hodges - 2nd place

i was very impressed with ricky flood. everyone knew going in that he was a good wrestler. after losing a heartbreaker to bartley (that could have gone either way) he showed a lot of character in the way he handled the officials decision. many would have thrown a fit, argued, cursed, and thrown their headgear. his attitude impressed me and many others more than anything. good luck to him at state and the rest of his future

[ QUOTE ]

i was very impressed with ricky flood. everyone knew going in that he was a good wrestler. after losing a heartbreaker to bartley (that could have gone either way) he showed a lot of character in the way he handled the officials decision. many would have thrown a fit, argued, cursed, and thrown their headgear. his attitude impressed me and many others more than anything. good luck to him at state and the rest of his future

[/ QUOTE ]

uh he did throw his headgear......lol....but he did show alot of class by not taken any further than that.....that was one of the best matches of the tournament.....congrats Bartley......

it was a great match... and at least he had the integrity and respect to stay on the blocks long enough for the press to get pictures. some SWD coaches should teach their athletes to be more respectable.. shaking hands with other coaches, throwing headgear etc. should not be tolerated. winning isn't everything and it's not the only thing that makes a great athlete. college coaches look for more than just the winner.. who wants a disrespectful athlete on their team. other teams don't "hate" you because you win, they don't "respect" you because of the attitude the team displays.

[ QUOTE ]

cool, i think its just not working out for us tho.. i mean 25 straight Swd and region IV championships...somethings not working haha..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, you guys really suck at this sport! LOL

Congrats on the 25-year run...that is truly amazing!!!

[ QUOTE ]

What place did Grundy's QB get?

145 weight class I think, I didn't see him listed as winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

He got 2nd........he was beat by carter......another great match.....and like i said all year if u take the peidmont district wrestlers out of the first period u can score at will......

I am not known as being much of a wrestling fan but I was there for most of the Region IV tournament both Friday and Saturday, and I must say that all the SWD teams were extremely talented - especially the Grundy wrestlers. And, although I was hoping that a few more of the Bulldogs would qualify for state, I was impressed by the talent and the desire shown by all the wrestlers there. GO REGION IV!

Like to give thanks to Martinsvillie's group of people who ran one of the best, quickest, and finest regional tournaments....the only down fall was the idiot in the stands during Bartleys and Floods match..but that problem was dealt with quickly..but all in all great Job....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

What place did Grundy's QB get?

145 weight class I think, I didn't see him listed as winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

He got 2nd........he was beat by carter......another great match.....and like i said all year if u take the peidmont district wrestlers out of the first period u can score at will......

[/ QUOTE ]

If u can score at will why didnt he win? Go Dawgs