[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

hopefully no where near twin vally because that place is in a big hole

[/ QUOTE ]

so is Graham.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahahahaha yea right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, any town around here can be called a "hole" by anyone that lives in a bigger place. There are many bigger places, and also many places that are even bigger "holes", so dont bash someone elses home when yours isn't much better. Graham dosnt even exsist, and believe me Bluefield, VA is far from being a metropolitan area. Just because it has a few fast food resturants dosn't make it any less of a "hole" than Castlewood or Grundy.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

yea but bluefield is growing

[/ QUOTE ]

And so is Grundy....They are getting a Wal-Mart, that will honestly prompt a lot of growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha well we've had a walmart, sams club, Lowes, MALL, we even have a few strip clubs around here, what about yall? lol

What will be considered as "Southwest Virginia", I mean how far will the players come from? Out to Wytheville or on further (or closer)?

Someone on the LPD board asked if there was going to be a girls game too?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

yea but bluefield is growing

[/ QUOTE ]

And so is Grundy....They are getting a Wal-Mart, that will honestly prompt a lot of growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha wernt you guys supposed to get a Wal-Mart 10 years ago?

You're post says the game is next Saturday, but the BDT says it's tonight????

Published: March 16, 2007 10:52 pm print this story email this story comment on this story

BDD players highlight All-Star Game

By LLOYD COMBS

for the Daily Telegraph

CASTLEWOOD, Va.  The first annual Southwest Virginia Boys Basketball All-Star Game will be played this evening at 6 p.m. at Castlewood High School.

Seniors from across the area were invited to participate and 19 players who were nominated by their high school coaches were invited to play in tonight's contest.

The list includes Grundy's Jimmy Ashby, the Southwest District Player of the Year, and Twin Valley's Matthew Baldwin, the Black Diamond District Player of the Year.

Also invited were Council's Justin Boyd, Hurley's Eric May and Honaker's Taylor Wolfe, along with the last two Region D Players of the Year, Adam Hood of Rye Cove and Mark Dockery of Twin Springs.

Castlewood coach Aaron Williams and St. Paul coach Patrick Damron organized the event to give area players one more opportunity to showcase their skills in front of college scouts. Each player will receive a SWVA All-Star t-shirt. There will also be a dunk contest and a three-point shootout.

The other players invited to participate include Adam Kiser (Appalachia); Drew Justice and Brad McReynolds (Castlewood); Adam Kiser (Ervinton); Jay Coleman (John I. Burton); Matthew Dotson (J.J. Kelly); Chad Skaggs and Bobby Stafford (Lee); Dustin Fleming (Pound); John Franklin (Rye Cove); Nathan Evans and Brandon Phillips (St. Paul); and Mark Dockery (Twin Springs).

The BDT was wrong on the date, the game is tonight as first posted by bucfan. They left off a couple of players too in their list....

BY TIM HAYES

Bristol Herald Courier

Castlewood senior Drew Justice would like to play basketball in college. He will get another chance to impress some college scouts tonight.

The inaugural Southwest Virginia boys’ basketball All-Star game is set for tonight at Castlewood High School. The event will also feature a slam dunk contest and 3-point shootout, while the game is scheduled to tip-off at 6 p.m.

"I heard there will be some college scouts there, so hopefully a bunch of us can play well and get recruited," Justice said. "I would like to go somewhere and play."

Players invited include Justice, Adam Hood (Rye Cove), Mark Dockery (Twin Springs), Matthew Baldwin (Twin Valley), Thomas Larimer (Chilhowie), C.J. Tillie (Virginia High), Grundy’s Jimmy Ashby and many more of the area’s top seniors.

Twin Valley’s Brian Moore and Castlewood’s Aaron Williams will serve as the coaches. Several college scouts were also invited to attend.

"It will be cool to play with some of those players," Justice said. "Instead of playing against some of those guys, I’ll get to play on the same team. There will be some good players on the floor."

The event was the brainchild of St. Paul coach Patrick Damron.

"This is something that I’ve talked about for a couple of years and I think our area needs something like this," Damron said. "I’ve talked to some of my fellow coaches, particularly this year.

"We wanted to get these kids the exposure and recognition they deserve. Overall, it will be a good experience and we basically want to promote basketball in this area."

The game gained approval from the Virginia High School League and Virginia High School Coaches Association. Damron hopes the event becomes an area tradition.

"We have different ideas of what we might want to do in the future," Damron said. "This is the first annual game and something that we want to continue every year."

For Justice, it will be the first game he’s played since a 49-44 loss to James River on March 3 in the state quarterfinals. Justice averaged 13.5 points and 7.1 rebounds per game for the Blue Devils, who were ranked first in the state for most of the season.

But an injury to junior point guard Patrick Fisher hampered Castlewood down the stretch.

"In the middle of the season I was expecting to go to a state championship," Justice said. "I think if Patrick would have been healthy, we could have gone all the way. I’m not saying it’s Patrick’s fault, but when your point guard goes down, it changes a lot of things."

The slam dunk contest is also on Justice’s agenda for tonight. He threw down several jams this year against Cumberland District opponents, but isn’t sure what he’ll break out for the contest.

"I’m going to try to win it," Justice said. "But I’m not going to do anything crazy like jump over a table or anything."

BY TIM HAYES

Bristol Herald Courier

CASTLEWOOD – Thomas Larimer said his main objective on Saturday afternoon was to have some fun. The Chilhowie High School senior delivered.

Larimer won the slam dunk contest and also scored a game-high 20 points in leading the Blue team to a 95-62 victory over the White squad at the inaugural Southwest Virginia boys’ basketball All-Star game at Castlewood High School.

Larimer led six players in double figures as the Blue team, coached by Castlewood’s Aaron Williams, cruised to the victory.

"I just wanted to have fun and go out and play with some of the top athletes from the area," Larimer said. "It was great to play with all these guys, instead of playing against them."

Larimer scored 14 points in the first half as the Blue team opened up a 21-point lead. He also won the slam dunk contest at halftime, relying on several creative jams.

"I always just goof around in practice, throwing it off the wall and stuff," Larimer said. "Everybody always said you can’t use that in the game, but I got to use it today in the dunk contest."

Larimer also experienced a first when he went up against teammate Keith Fenner. Fenner, a senior point guard for the Warriors, scored four points and started at point guard for the White squad.

"I’ve loved playing with Keith," Larimer said. "I thought they would put us on the same team."

While not paired with his usual point guard, Larimer did benefit from teaming with Lee High’s Bobby Stafford. Many of Larimer’s points came via dishes from Stafford, who finished with 17 points and nine assists in earning MVP honors.

"He was pretty quick," Larimer said. "He could get the ball to us and shoot the ball as well. He was pretty good and did a real good job."

While many players were looking for their shots in Saturday’s game, Stafford was a steadying influence.

"I just wanted to let the game come to me and not force anything and get everybody else involved," Stafford said. "Since I was coming in as the point guard, I wanted to get everybody else involved in the game and see what they could do."

Chad Skaggs, Stafford’s Lee teammate, added 16 points. Castlewood’s Drew Justice (12 points), Pound’s Dustin Fleming (11 points) and St. Paul’s Nathan Evans (11 points) also scored in double-digits for the winning team.

"Skaggs and I have played together for six years," Stafford said. "It helped having him out there. We know where each other is going to be."

St. Paul’s Brandon Phillips led the White team with 14 points, while Matthew Baldwin finished with 10 points. Rye Cove’s Adam Hood won the 3-point shootout.

For the 6-foot-5 Larimer, Saturday’s game was another big moment in a memorable season. He averaged 17.4 points and 9.2 rebounds per game en route to being named Hogoheegee District player of the year and leading Chilhowie to the semifinals of the Region C tournament.

He plans to take his game to Old Dominion Athletic Conference member Eastern Mennonite next season.