AEP Power Rate increase....

Lance

Have not seen any posts on this...but AEP recently hike the rates up somewhere near the moon...my bill is about twice what it was before...i'm paying about $200 a month now at my apartment? go figure...

anyway...here is a website you can go and complain...it's legit.

http://www.aepaction.org

Now, Go have fun and be sure to tell all your friends about it smile.gif

"just increase rates for nothing"

Do you know the price of coal right now?? I dont agree either, but there is a reason. WV got the same increase just not all at once like VA. we are getting a 8% for 3 years.. it sucks.

Don't bother contacting AEP with your complaints. Final approval of the rate increase will be by the State Corporation Commission (SCC) in Richmond.

AEP has the authority to put the rate increase in place while the SCC is considering the request. The SCC may approve all or part of the increase requested. If they approve a lower increase than what AEP asked for, AEP will hve to refund the difference to its customers.

This is usually what happens in VA. From AEP's perspective, it is a no lose deal. They get to use our money and draw interest on it for a period of time, and then give us it back in credits on our accounts. Oh, and they keep the interest they earned on our money. ;(

it is for something, their saleries. These companies raise costs as much as possible, and more than that in these regions, most people were against that powerline, it doesn't even benefit this region, but they were going to build it regardless and they saw to it, despite the public opinion, and now they expect us to pay for it and for them to clean up their environmental problems, ect..

This is greed and nothing but greed, and the power of the big shots over the people, nothing more.

You got the right idea. The suits are only interested in keep the price per share high for the stockholders. This leads to dividends for the shareholders, and bonuses for the suits.

AEP is run by lawyers now, like a lot of corporations. They do not know about their core business, and are some of the most arrogant folks I have ever dealt with.

[ QUOTE ]

These companies that just increase rates for nothing but their gain without any restraint or responsibility should be boycotted as much as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a fantastic idea. Just stop using electricity and you will be able to bring companies like AEP to their knees.

actually...have you guys seen the new light bulbs...they are selling them at wal mart now and wally world is actually supposed to be having a big push towards these over the next year or so...they are flourescent squiggley type bulbs? they last for years and actually pay for themselves over time...you can get a 4 pack for like $8 now or something...i've switched over to them and they do make a difference...I like not having to replace the friggin bulbs all of the time...you guys should check them out if you haven't already...easy way to lower your new high ass power bill $10 or so.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

These companies that just increase rates for nothing but their gain without any restraint or responsibility should be boycotted as much as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a fantastic idea. Just stop using electricity and you will be able to bring companies like AEP to their knees.

[/ QUOTE ]\

if you are building a new house, there are alternatives to making your house as electricity free as possible, solar or wind or water, there are natural sources of power, granted you might be living more like a survivalist but the technology is getting far out there. Other ways are using a lot less, people use carelessly. Christmas decorations skyrocket the useage, ect., there are ways.

What would you tell these people, you can't make it without them, you're dependant on them? Of course they'll raise costs at any rate with that attitude, and people conceed that to these big companies all the time. It's not any different than oil, there are different vehicles to use that would reduce dependancy on oil in a big way if you really preferred to, they are rare % wise but they are more and more readily available and being produced.

Perhpas boycotted isn't the best word for these actions, but then also if the public forces a major complaint against these companies, most people, not a few, that is a form of a boycott.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1 more thought, aep is a supply and demand company, not a company with a product people must patronize by law.

no there is no light difference if you use the same wattage...it tells you on the package that it's like a 60 or 100 watt bulb or whatever...

as for AEP, there is no other choice around here or i'd pay more to have it...i hate them and verizon with a passion.

A few months ago, Lowes was offering this type lightbulbs free with rebate, two 4-pack limit. Rebate form printed at checkout, easy, only cost a stamp and got rebate a couple weeks later.

In some other areas, where power demand is often stretched, the power companies were giving these bulbs to customers free.

yeah...i'll never buy another type of bulb...once you use them you are sold on them...i use them on the outside lights as well as all the inside lights now...have not had to change out the first one in over 6 months.

[ QUOTE ]

There is absolutely no competition in the area, that is the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ironically enough, competition is the problem. AEP rates are among the cheapest in the country. When Virginia opted for deregulation of the electric industry, the General Assembly put us into play on the nationwide teeter-totter. The increases that we're just now seeing have been hitting the West and the Northeast for the past decade or so.

The problem is fairly basic. There are more people in this country and they are all using more energy.

The solution is a bit tougher to chew on.

[ QUOTE ]

1 more thought, aep is a supply and demand company, not a company with a product people must patronize by law.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not precisely true. AEP is a monopoly with a product that most people probably would not choose to live without.

The rising cost of electricity is a complex issue with several facets to it (very similar to health insurance, in fact). Unfortunately for us as consumers, costs will likely escalate for the foreseeable future. The only control we've really got is the extent to which we can economize based on our own lifestyle choices.

Deregulation was such a shining success in VA, that the General Assembly was working on legislation this term to re-regulate the industry. It even had the support of the power companies.

I never did hear if it passed.