Pocahontas???

futbolking

[ QUOTE ]

What's the deal with Pocy, are they going to close in two years or what? I'm hearing conflicting information.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it will not close. With the new prison, and the new road scheduled to open by the end of the year, millions of jobs will be created in the Abbs Valley/Pocahontas area. Projected enrollment for Pocahontas by 2015 will be somewhere around 4,000. Tazewell, Graham, and Richlands will all close and be brought into the new Pocahontas High School. In a related note, Mayor Robert"Spot" Steele strikes a new deal for Pocahontas to play all football games at Mitchell Stadium, being quoted Steele said " Now that we are all done wasting that money for Graham to play there we can let a real dynasty play there now." Ok, enough of the sarcasm. Pocy will not close at all. It's just funny that this county doesn't have enough money to build one new school but we can somehow keep a school open with a 150 kids grades 6-12. But they increased the property taxes a bunch this year. Where did that money go? It went somewhere. My tax increase this year alone was 300 dollars.There is something wrong here. Maybe someone smarter than I can figure this out.......

[ QUOTE ]

The way I understand it is no schools will be closed and no new ones will be built. Money will be appropriated to make improvements to the existing buildings instead

[/ QUOTE ]as it should be.

Except I don't think they're doing enough. The money will be spent on the most urgently needed items like bathrooms, HVAC and windows. All they're really doing is transferring the problem of aging schools to future generations.