New Traffic fines petition!

Lance

[ QUOTE ]

What if you get a speeding ticket and you go to court and it gets thrown out? They usually throw out speeding tickets between 5-7 mph over, so the question is, lets say I get a ticket for doing 60 in a 55 (which is baloney anyway) and it gets thrown out, do I still pay the civil fine?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because you aren't seen as having broken the law if it gets thrown out...

[ QUOTE ]

I drive from Bluefield down 460 past richlands everyday and I can see a huge difference in driving behaviors. I think this will be a good thing because if the insurance companies see the decrease in violations and deaths they may lower rates in VA. Although I did see the worst reck I have ever seen in front of Green acres lanscaping store this morning by a cimaron (sp) Coach this morning. I think he fell asleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you totally with what I'm seeing as well as to the behavior of drivers. People have slowed down some, are using there signals when making lane changes, etc.

Cimarron Coach is the absolute worst...there drivers should be ticketed for impeding traffic...although I hope the person wasn't injured too badly in the wreck...

[ QUOTE ]

I drive from Bluefield down 460 past richlands everyday and I can see a huge difference in driving behaviors. I think this will be a good thing because if the insurance companies see the decrease in violations and deaths they may lower rates in VA. Although I did see the worst reck I have ever seen in front of Green acres lanscaping store this morning by a cimaron (sp) Coach this morning. I think he fell asleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

no what that means is more profit for the ins companies, your rates will never go down due to something like this.

I'm ok with a fine for what the communistwealth thinks is illegal, but not an excessive fine, and not having a criminal record that is the same as someone who shoplifts for window tint...that is just dumb to me...do the crime, pay the fine is cool as long as the fine fits the crime, and in this case, it doesn't.

just my opinion.

And for what its worth, driving on the VA roads is just as bad to me as it was before...it's an idiot convention.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

"And as far as cops pulling more people over now that these laws are in effect...12 days into this and I've yet to see ANY people pulled over on Rt. 460 in VA and I drive from Bluefield to Pounding Mill everyday"

drive to wytheville from bluefield daily and then tell me that isn't the case. In fact if you disagree, go drive to wytheville and speed, not 90 mph, just speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cops have always been thick on I-77 between Bluefield and Wytheville and everytime I have driven it, even before 7/1/07, they are people being pulled over...mostly around the Big Walker Mountain Tunnel and between the tunnel and Wytheville. Nothing new there...

[/ QUOTE ]

2 cruisers at the most, not 4. The state of va. released a statement that stated they were increasing traffic enforcement for the purpose of generating more revenue. These laws go with that as well.

Do the crime pay the fine sounds simple and good, till you consider how many more laws they put on the books onging. Used to be in most states when the seatbelt law when into effect, it wasn't a violation they could pull you over for, it was simply something that could be enforced if people were stopped for something else, now in a lot of states they can pull you over for that. That's simply an example, but the point is they simply aren't going to stop.

I guess I'm being extreme again, but in a free country, people should be concerned when more and more restrictions placed in the books seems to be an increasingly popular theme for government. Of course it's all billed as in the interest of what's best for the public, and safety, or law enforcement, but that's going quite the opposite direction of a free country, that's becoming a people ruled by the government. Submit to your overlords if you want, I won't..

[ QUOTE ]

What if you get a speeding ticket and you go to court and it gets thrown out? They usually throw out speeding tickets between 5-7 mph over, so the question is, lets say I get a ticket for doing 60 in a 55 (which is baloney anyway) and it gets thrown out, do I still pay the civil fine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct me if im wrong, but if you received a ticket for 60 in a 55, it would not be subject to these new fines. Because, it is not a wreckless driving ticket.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i have a huge issue with the law making equipment violations (such as window tint, bald tires, exhaust, ect) as a misdemeanor....however, my main problem is with the VA residents only part of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you have a problem with that? There are laws against those things now. Your car won't pass inspection if you have too dark of window tint, if you don't have a certain amount of tread on your tires, and if your exhaust isn't in compliance with the current standards. Now, if you are driving a vehicle that is breaking these regulations, you can and will be ticketed for it...do the crime, pay the fine...

[/ QUOTE ]

How about this, I'm driving down the road and get ran off the road by another car, and that car continues driving and dosent stop, i run off the road and hit a phone pole. The police comes, I tell him the story, and I still get a wreckless driving ticket. So, you think a $1000 fine fits that crime? Trust me it happens...happened to my fiance, and A similar accident happened to me, when I was the only car involved in an accident, and received a wreckless driving ticket. So, I guess you think we deserve to be charged $1000 for these horrible crimes. Of course the $1000 would be in addition to the regular fines and court fees, and also the isurance increases. But, as long as we learn our leasons it is all worth it...Right G-Man?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i have a huge issue with the law making equipment violations (such as window tint, bald tires, exhaust, ect) as a misdemeanor....however, my main problem is with the VA residents only part of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you have a problem with that? There are laws against those things now. Your car won't pass inspection if you have too dark of window tint, if you don't have a certain amount of tread on your tires, and if your exhaust isn't in compliance with the current standards. Now, if you are driving a vehicle that is breaking these regulations, you can and will be ticketed for it...do the crime, pay the fine...

[/ QUOTE ]

How about this, I'm driving down the road and get ran off the road by another car, and that car continues driving and dosent stop, i run off the road and hit a phone pole. The police comes, I tell him the story, and I still get a wreckless driving ticket. So, you think a $1000 fine fits that crime? Trust me it happens...happened to my fiance, and A similar accident happened to me, when I was the only car involved in an accident, and received a wreckless driving ticket. So, I guess you think we deserve to be charged $1000 for these horrible crimes. Of course the $1000 would be in addition to the regular fines and court fees, and also the isurance increases. But, as long as we learn our leasons it is all worth it...Right G-Man?

[/ QUOTE ]

You would probably get a failure to maintain control of your vehicle ticket instead of a wreckless driving ticket...unless there were witnesses, then you probably wouldn't get a ticket at all...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct me if im wrong, but if you received a ticket for 60 in a 55, it would not be subject to these new fines. Because, it is not a wreckless driving ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading the entire law, that is the way I understand it too...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should probably get a failure to maintain control of your vehicle ticket instead of a wreckless driving ticket...unless there were witnesses, then you probably wouldn't get a ticket at all...had tha happened to me, I would have gone to court...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought there was a civil fine just for a regular speeding ticket too?

On the LPD forum, we wondering about what I said on my last post about if your ticket gets dropped do you still pay the civil fine. My sister got a speeding ticket last year, but it got dropped but I think she still had to pay the court costs, and the new civil fee is like the same thing isn't it?

I can't wait 'til I move to Tennessee thats for sure!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should probably get a failure to maintain control of your vehicle ticket instead of a wreckless driving ticket...unless there were witnesses, then you probably wouldn't get a ticket at all...had tha happened to me, I would have gone to court...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It did happen to me, and thank goodness the judge gave me the option of going to driving school and i did, so he dropped the wreckless driving ticket to improper driving. But, my point was...he didnt have to drop it, and now if this happened, and the judge dosnt drop the ticket then, you are going to be paying alot of money for nothing.

Just so you know ...

traffic fines in Va. go into the state school fund (that didn't change when the lottery started). Va. wanted a way to increase road funds, but knew an increase in the gas tax would raise a roar, so they did this, because civil fines go into the road fund. Now, TWO roars have started - huge fines and it only applies to Va'ians.

I'm not exactly fond of it myself, but the way I see it, it's "optional" - if you don't break the law, you don't have to pay.

And, on the 2 trips I've made on 77 this month (actually, on the half-dozen trips I've made outside the county this month), I've noticed less speeding, fewer left-lane "campers" and more signals being used.