New Traffic fines petition!

Lance

http://www.petitiononline.com/va3202/petition.html

please take a second and sign this if you are a VA resident...so far it's getting close to 30,000 signatures...this is in response to the new "$3,000 Civil fines" issue that went in to law in VA on july 1, 2007 which applies to VA residents only.

We have almost 5,000 people here in this forum, it would be cool if everyone who is a VA resident would sign it. It may do absolutly no good, but at least your voice of objection to the unfair laws of this communist state will be heard.

Thanks,

Lance

$3k is the max that does cover DUI...which i don't really mind that because you have no business on the road drunk and behind the wheel of a car....but the law also made several equipment violations misdemeanors now...which that is just crazy...and some are now a felony...which is crazy...i think it included bald tires as well under that.

the big problem is that it's just for VA residents, if you live in another state, you don't pay the extra fines you do for the same offense if you are a VA resident....that's just not fair.

Plus...i don't feel a $1,000 speeding fine for going 71 in a 55 is justified....

That does sound excessive for most offenses. I had a "failure to obey traffic sign" on the way to Lynchburg that cost me $86 and I thought that was too much. And the officer was actually cutting me a break by giving me the lesser charge instead of speeding - the sign I failed to obey was the speed limit sign - I would probably go even higher for DUI though.

the state of va. has stated that they are increasing traffic stops and fines to increase revenue, most towns and states do it but va. is openly admitting it, and their fines exceed reasonable punishment and excessive fines limits by law.

My parents and my sister each recieved tickets last weekened for turning around using 1 of those throughways inbetween highways, only this didn't have a sign that said autorized vehicles only. So i've told them to contest that in court. This was between big walker mountain tunnel and wytheville, where I rarely ever don't see someone pulled over.

3 nights ago I had to go to wytheville in the middle of the night, around 2:30 a.m., 2 state trooper vehicles had 2 vehicles stopped, just before the bland exitgoing down the top of the mountain there.

On the way back within an hour, I saw each of them on the opposite side of the highway, 1/4th mile from each other close to the top of that mountain, each vehicle way off the side of the highway and sitting back in the shadows, unable to be seen if you're going s.

Va is without a doubt hard up for traffic revenue so I'd be careful about speeding, and I'd agree with signing that petition.

this is a way for the largest dui attorneys to make more money, if you read up on it then you seen that Del. Alba proposed this bill, he is a partner in the largest dui and traffic law office in the state

no, its in effect July 1st...but you need to try to get out of that because insurance will be higher...and you may get hit on the back side because there is a scale of points on your DL that is $75 a point for every one over a certian number ( i think it was 6 or 8? don't remember exactly)...so you could have to pay that next year.

Break the law, pay the price. The fines are not actual fines for the offense, they are "civil fines". The only thing I see that VA residents have a right to complain about is the fact that the "civil fines" are only for VA residents...non-residents are not subject to the "civil fines" for breaking the same laws...

[ QUOTE ]

But there are laws against excessive fines and punishments, some of these, such as a 3,000 $ speeding ticket, defy those laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a HUGE misconception...there is no such thing as a "$3000 speeding ticket" under this new law unless there are laws that are broken...such as wreckless driving, DUI, driving on a suspended license, driving without a license, etc., while speeding.

The civil fine for just a plain old speeding ticket up to 20 mph over the posted speed limit (over 20 is an automatic wreckless driving ticket) is a fraction of that, anywhere from about $300-$750 depending on the severity, over a three year period...1/3 up front, and 1/3 each of the next two years after that until the fine is paid in full, due upon re-registration of your automobile.

Lots of folks are blowing this law out of proportion. If you don't break the law, you have nothing to worry about. And, as I said earlier, break the law, pay the price.

Also, in my opinion, these are not excessive fines/punishments as you like to put it. And personally, I've got nothing against you but sometimes you're so darned scared that someone is going to violate you "civil rights" you fail to see the big picture. I'm all for protecting peoples' rights but being extreme in protecting them is just as bad as not protecting them at all...

And as far as cops pulling more people over now that these laws are in effect...12 days into this and I've yet to see ANY people pulled over on Rt. 460 in VA and I drive from Bluefield to Pounding Mill everyday...

Now that I have read the new law, all of the large fines are related to DUI (§ 18.2-266) and wreckless driving offenses...

Here is a link to the new law and list of fees...

http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2007/va-drivertax.pdf

DUI law...

http://216.7.198.222/international/sectiondetail.asp?ID=134&state=Virginia

i have a huge issue with the law making equipment violations (such as window tint, bald tires, exhaust, ect) as a misdemeanor....however, my main problem is with the VA residents only part of it.

I'm not scared of it, I'm on guard for it, and I do take every incident seriously, by themselvs they amount to hardly anything in the big scheme, but walls are built brick by brick, so perhaps it's others who aren't equally extreme who don't see the big scheme for what it is. Or won't until it's to late.

These are extreme and defining times in america, whether people realize it or not. I might be extreme, but at least I live it, and don't simply complain about things. I don't take it personally if people consider me fanatical about america and freedom either, so be it.

"And as far as cops pulling more people over now that these laws are in effect...12 days into this and I've yet to see ANY people pulled over on Rt. 460 in VA and I drive from Bluefield to Pounding Mill everyday"

drive to wytheville from bluefield daily and then tell me that isn't the case. In fact if you disagree, go drive to wytheville and speed, not 90 mph, just speed.

[ QUOTE ]

Now that I have read the new law, all of the large fines are related to DUI (§ 18.2-266) and wreckless driving offenses...

DUI law...

[/ QUOTE ]

And you dont think that a $1000 fine for item number 46.2-856 "PASS TWO VEHICLES ABREAST - MISDEMEANOR" is a little rediculous? I agree that if you obey the laws then you shouldnt have anything to worry about. However, almost everyone has broken on of these laws, not saying it is right, but it happens. I just think a $1000 fine it ludicris!

What if you get a speeding ticket and you go to court and it gets thrown out? They usually throw out speeding tickets between 5-7 mph over, so the question is, lets say I get a ticket for doing 60 in a 55 (which is baloney anyway) and it gets thrown out, do I still pay the civil fine?

I drive from Bluefield down 460 past richlands everyday and I can see a huge difference in driving behaviors. I think this will be a good thing because if the insurance companies see the decrease in violations and deaths they may lower rates in VA. Although I did see the worst reck I have ever seen in front of Green acres lanscaping store this morning by a cimaron (sp) Coach this morning. I think he fell asleep.

[ QUOTE ]

i have a huge issue with the law making equipment violations (such as window tint, bald tires, exhaust, ect) as a misdemeanor....however, my main problem is with the VA residents only part of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you have a problem with that? There are laws against those things now. Your car won't pass inspection if you have too dark of window tint, if you don't have a certain amount of tread on your tires, and if your exhaust isn't in compliance with the current standards. Now, if you are driving a vehicle that is breaking these regulations, you can and will be ticketed for it...do the crime, pay the fine...

[ QUOTE ]

"And as far as cops pulling more people over now that these laws are in effect...12 days into this and I've yet to see ANY people pulled over on Rt. 460 in VA and I drive from Bluefield to Pounding Mill everyday"

drive to wytheville from bluefield daily and then tell me that isn't the case. In fact if you disagree, go drive to wytheville and speed, not 90 mph, just speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cops have always been thick on I-77 between Bluefield and Wytheville and everytime I have driven it, even before 7/1/07, they are people being pulled over...mostly around the Big Walker Mountain Tunnel and between the tunnel and Wytheville. Nothing new there...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

DUI law...

[/ QUOTE ]

And you dont think that a $1000 fine for item number 46.2-856 "PASS TWO VEHICLES ABREAST - MISDEMEANOR" is a little rediculous? I agree that if you obey the laws then you shouldnt have anything to worry about. However, almost everyone has broken on of these laws, not saying it is right, but it happens. I just think a $1000 fine it ludicris!

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than on a six lane, or more, highway, where can you do that legally??? Do you not think that is dangerous??? To pass two cars that are side-by-side (abreast)??? On a two-lane, or four-lane road??? You would have to use the shoulder (or median) of the road in order to do that??? $1000 fine is "ludicris" for putting peoples' lives in danger by doing something that stupid???