Lebanon's Harry Stuart Field also getting new playing surface.

shanefive

Lebanon High School as also been at work replaceing the playing surface at Harry Stuart Field. They went to a new type of Bermuda Grass. It was installed about 6 weeks ago by GameDay Inc., the same folks that work on Va. Tech's, the Redskins, and Eagles fields. As I say it has been down about 6 weeks and I beleive if you had to you could play on it today! It feels like carpet, looks like a rough putting green. It's way ahead of schedule and has already been mowed twice. It's going to be real nice come Aug. 24th when Honaker comes to town.

Yeh bermuda is nice when its green and growing unfortunately around here it will be completely brown by the first of October...once the temperatures go under 50 degrees it goes dormant...

VT has bermuda on its field and in order for it to look good on TV after 10/1, they paint it green...not a joke...

[ QUOTE ]

Does VT still dye the grass green? I didn't think they would have to after the heater was installed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they still do. They even went with a more "northern" type of bermuda than the other bermuda they had a couple of years ago hoping it would stay greener, longer...well, it lasts about two weeks longer but still goes dormant and turns brown. As for the heater, it doesn't help and the tray system (with the exception of draining) is a flop but VT won't admit their multi-million dollar mistake to the public. The tray system is so bad that the N.Y. Giants took there's out only a year after putting it in.

You can't keep bermuda grass green in the mountains...

[ QUOTE ]

But it still stays thick and plush even after the first frost and it changes color. Still a much better playing surface than most High Schools have in SWVA.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will turn brown before the first frost...

I agree that you can't keep bermuda green in this climate but I don't think the tray system is a flop. It gives them a flat natural grass surface with unequalled drainage capability. It didn't work out at the Meadowlands because they were moving the trays in and out weekly.

[ QUOTE ]

I agree that you can't keep bermuda green in this climate but I don't think the tray system is a flop. It gives them a flat natural grass surface with unequalled drainage capability. It didn't work out at the Meadowlands because they were moving the trays in and out weekly.

[/ QUOTE ]

But they were designed to be moved in and out...and it didn't work...thus it was a flop...

Once again... Gman knows all!!! A jack of all trades and a master of none!!! The heating system keeps the field green all year long. Honaker got field turf and Lebanon got bermuda, what did Castlewood get? New turf too?

[ QUOTE ]

Once again... Gman knows all!!! A jack of all trades and a master of none!!! The heating system keeps the field green all year long. Honaker got field turf and Lebanon got bermuda, what did Castlewood get? New turf too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, no, it doesn't. I have season tickets three rows from the field and have been on the field on several occassions...LOTS of brown grass...especially where the green paint has worn off...