As a spectator at today's grid-o-rama...

PioneerPA

Just wanted to give a big thank you to all the people who organized and planned the event. I've kept up on here with the work done to Mitchell Stadium and know it looked very nice today....obviously a lot of long hours to get it ready in time, and I appreciate it.

For the Richlands fans, as someone who is intrigued with the process when it comes to offense, it was very easy to see that you guys put in a ton of work on offense. I sat next to Austin Fuller's aunt and she gave me some of the details as to his maturation and scholarship opportunity. Richlands played hard, quick, and clean. Good football team that would be fun to root for (but difficult when you're pulling for the other team). Its obvious it takes a sound mind and a ton of work to run the concepts within their offense.

Graham impressed me with their grit. They were charging ahead whether anyone was there or not. The polar opposite of Richlands. They were painfully simple (and I like that)...they just exerted their will on people. Good football to watch. Defense was strong.

Bluefield was as quick as you'd expect and that turf certainly did nothing to slow them down. I only saw their game with George Wythe, and yes they had some issues in that game, but the athleticism is obvious, and any team forced to play them on turf is going to struggle with them.

All in all, I had a great time. The people were nice and it accomplished what it set out for...challenging scrimmages. Everyone there had something exposed...which is good because at this point, you have time to fix it. And it was some darn good football to watch.

Thanks PA

It was really hot out there early on. But then cooled by a little as the games went on

I really wasnt impressed with bluefield that much. They had a hard time running the ball. And the line didnt look that great at all. Defensivly they looked pretty good from what i saw. Both Eric and Will struggled to throw good passes but i think McClanahan did a better job in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]

As a unbiased spectator. McClanahan (#10?) was the better qb. Will threw too many bad passes. And Ponders hands didnt impress me either. But he does have plenty of speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

In order for Ponder to use his hands he has to have a pass throw relatively close to him, as do all receivers. One pass was throw into the endzone in double coverage and was tipped around before falling incomplete. Another pass was throw very low on a slant and he made a great effort to try and come up with it. A number of the passes thrown his way were telegraphed, giving the defender time to step in front or just badly thrown.

Honestly, I'm worried about Cole at QB. He just might end up being Graham's best player next week.

thats what i thought....my source sucks..i need a new one haha...i just got on here and he said Graham looked awful and Cole played either corner or safety....and then i read all this...

[ QUOTE ]

thats what i thought....my source sucks..i need a new one haha...i just got on here and he said Graham looked awful and Cole played either corner or safety....and then i read all this...

[/ QUOTE ]

From my POV Graham was the most impressive team considering the talk on here and just simply looking at them in warmups. And Cole didn't play defense, and most likely won't the entire season.

[ QUOTE ]

Cole is definatley a stud at QB. He has been to a lot of camps and will continue to get better. He didnt play to his expectations but give him some time and he wont dissapoint. I beleive I heard James Madison is already recruiting him.

[/ QUOTE ]

The kid's biggest problems is that he has no zip on his passes when he does throw the football and everyone in the stadium knows who he's throwing the ball to each time. Those two things together make for a deadly combo for a QB, and not in a positive way. The telegraphing of his passes is correctable in more a short period of time, but I'm not sure the lack of zip on his passes can be corrected in a short period of time. Although, if you correct the telegraphing issue it won't make the lack of zip nearly as noticeable.

I didn't really think about that part. I didnt mean to sound like i was putting him down. Just didnt see him catch as many as i thought he would have. Maybe if he can learn to put some zip behind those passes he will have a helluva year.

[ QUOTE ]

Cole is definatley a stud at QB. He has been to a lot of camps and will continue to get better. He didnt play to his expectations but give him some time and he wont dissapoint. I beleive I heard James Madison is already recruiting him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This message brought to you by one of Will's little brothers...