BREAKING NEWS!!! Bluefield is in trouble!

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Guest BEAVERTAIL

The assistant coaches for Bluefield High school have been named and it couldn't be any worse for bluefield fans. I hope Havens does not listen to them at all.

A "stat boy" from princeton High school and former baseball coach at bluefield has been named one assistant coach. David Hubbard is a horrible coach. Yes, he coached me for 3 years and knew nothing about baseball, and never had any passion for the game and often seemed to not care. We had a regional game last year and had a whole week to prepare and we practiced once maybe twice on a field. after the season he quit and took an assistant job at Princeton. He was not liked by his players.

The other is Tonya East, the now former coach at bluefield middle school. Her basketball knowledge is nil. She has never had any experience at the high school level.

This is really bad for BLuefield Basketball. I know we were all hoping for Gaither and Willie Ellison to help out, but i would have been satisfied if they didnt and we got some decent coaches. the_truth would have even been fine with me especially know that i know who got the job.

I have some faith in Havens, but the other 2 not so much.

Havens, i hope you have some basketball knowledge to counteract what they lack.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Lenny wilkins has the most losses in NBA history. And phil, well phil just has good players, and nowadays what coaching is done in the nba. if you said deam smith, john wooden, and bobby knight it would be a decent statement.

so sorry that I want to see bluefield win and have decent coaches.

Well I see that you all are off my case for a while anyways. I think that the 3rd assistant coach (The position that Tony Webster resigned) will be hired soon. You probably wont be thrilled with who gets it either.

I thought Gaither would have been a perfect fit. He knows the community and school. He would have been a real asset to the program. I don't know much about the hubbard guy. East was a player in HS, but has not hs coaching experience. I was surprised that she was awarded the job. Will the_truth be the next assistant or will it be one of the Havens' sons?

[ QUOTE ]

Truly i think it will be hard for havens to have a bad year with all of the talent bluefield has.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if the talent doesn't have faith in the coach...

You can't have a fit over the new coach....none of the players can either. If you don't respect him and try your hardest.....it will be a failure. And believe or not...Bluefield could go 0-100 and he would still be your coach. It's not Duke U.

[ QUOTE ]

You can't have a fit over the new coach....none of the players can either. If you don't respect him and try your hardest.....it will be a failure. And believe or not...Bluefield could go 0-100 and he would still be your coach. It's not Duke U.

[/ QUOTE ]

And Havens isn't Coach K either...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if he loses that much he would quit. remember, he contemplated not taking the job...

Just some thoughts for you guys to ponder. Right or wrong coaches are judged by their record wins and losses. On another topic I think Beavertail scolded Mav fan or somebody for talking trash about the Bluefield football team talking crap. He said that that person didnt know what they were talking about. AMEN. If you didnt go to Duke, havent heard the man speak or anything, how do you really know what kind of coach, Coach K is. Could he be a great recruiter with exceptional players and a great assistant? If you havent played for Coach Havens then how do you really know what kind of coach he is? It is simple, you judge the coach on wins and losses. Beavertail is judging Coach Hubbard and Coach East based on his experiences with them. At least he has something to judge them on. Didnt Bluefield have a horrible (0-10 or 1-9) season a few years back. Did Coach Simon forget everything he knew for a year or was his talent just down. It would be a great world if people would not criticize other people unjustly. Now I must get to my class before I offend GMAN.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Hubbard? that worthless piece of crap deserves to be sent to prison!

I hate him with a passion and Beavertail and GMan know why!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

i know buddy. the guy doesnt know what it means to be a "team". He doesnt understand what it means to be a part of bluefield high either...

As long as the beaver players want to play basketball, coach havens will have them in winning form. I have no doubt in my mind that he can and will win with Bluefield. He will have Ansel all over the place. Ponder will be the man this year. Brooks will be high flying and throwing it down. Is Hammond back or did he graduate? Hell he has more talent than he has ever had on a guys team. He will do better than Ernie. He will beat Princeton and Graham and so on. It's a new world for him at AA, but he will do just fine. Don't worry about the assistants. They are just jumping on the coat tails. It is the Head coach that makes the difference, not the assistants. The assistants will learn from him.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

As long as the beaver players want to play basketball, coach havens will have them in winning form. I have no doubt in my mind that he can and will win with Bluefield. He will have Ansel all over the place. Ponder will be the man this year. Brooks will be high flying and throwing it down. Is Hammond back or did he graduate? Hell he has more talent than he has ever had on a guys team. He will do better than Ernie. He will beat Princeton and Graham and so on. It's a new world for him at AA, but he will do just fine. Don't worry about the assistants. They are just jumping on the coat tails. It is the Head coach that makes the difference, not the assistants. The assistants will learn from him.

[/ QUOTE ]

well i hope we can measure havens success in state championships won, not how many times we make it to charloeston. Im not saying that havens should win one this year, but somewhere downthe line i believe he should. I hope your right about the assistants, actually i hope havens could get rid of them. he should be able to pick them anyways...

and yes Hammond did graduate, he is playing ball at Bridgewater College.

I agree on the fact that he should be able to pick his assistants. I know he has connections with East because she played at MHS a few years back on some state tournament teams. State Championships will come with the talent. I don't know what type of young talent he has, but if they don't like him they might defect to Princeton or Graham if they can swing it.

Look, Moore was a class act.....but not the best player to touch the hardwood. Brooks was not a team player. The stormin morman was just a big body and kyle hammond was a good OPEN perimeter player. Ponder in my opinion wasn't used properly. They should have went past round one, but not champs. If the talent is there, they will adapt and play well in the coaches system. Eric McClanahan is a damn good bball player and for some reason did not play and not lost his QB job. You should talk him into playing.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Look, Moore was a class act.....but not the best player to touch the hardwood. Brooks was not a team player. The stormin morman was just a big body and kyle hammond was a good OPEN perimeter player. Ponder in my opinion wasn't used properly. They should have went past round one, but not champs. If the talent is there, they will adapt and play well in the coaches system. Eric McClanahan is a damn good bball player and for some reason did not play and not lost his QB job. You should talk him into playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok field general you know some info about bluefield basketball... but once again i have to disagree with you.

Hammond became a good inside/outside player. he took it to the hoop strongly a few times a game, and carried the team in the loss in charleston. The stormin mormon, (i coined that name, and yes i know it wasnt the original) was a defensive stopper. I believe he averaged around 3 blocks a game. Brooks was given the green light to shoot when open by Gilliard and he did. Why gilliard thought he could shoot ill never know...And as for ponder, i thought he was used pretty well. he was the second highest scorer on the team and led the team in rebounds. If your referring to using him in the press i understand where you are coming from. And as for moore, no he wasnt the best player to step on the hardcourt, but i believe he was the best in AA.

The beavs should have made it to the state championship game, to face a cocky Wyoming East team.