Explain this to your 4 year old

photo

Following the Richlands/Monticello game my family and I were attempting to get on the road to get back home. We were loading our kids and gear in the truck as a Middle aged man and woman walked by our vehicle. They were both wearing Monticello clothing but that was not what I noticed about them first. The woman was singing very loudly (actually screaming it)...."Richlands White Supremacists!!!" Our ever questioning 4 year old looked at us and said "What does that mean?" I have to say my husband attempted to find the lady to ask her to explain it to our child. I was appalled. I would have congratulated any Monticello player, fan or coach after their win as for Saturday they were the better team. However my one and only interaction with someone from their town has soured my view of individuals from their region. As I sat my child down and explained to him that some people think they are better than other people just because of their skin color or something that is different about the other person, I couldn't help but have negative feeling for this woman I had never spoke a word to.

Thank you middle aged, caucasian woman who I am assuming is from somewhere around the Charlottesville area, for bringing racism into my 4 y.o. sons life. I hope this note somehow finds you in hopes you will think before you open your mouth again.

And congratulations to both teams on fine seasons!

On our way back to the car there were several Monticello fans yelling thing at the the top of their lungs. Nothing they said was vulgar or obscene but basically just rubbing it in that they had won...I just said congratulations and kept going.

I had the opportunity to interact with several Monticello folks after the game Saturday. To an individual, they were all very pleasant people. However, I don't assume that all Mustang fans are necessarily like them.

That's the thing about generalizations. They're <u>all</u> stupid and pointless.

[ QUOTE ]

That's the thing about generalizations. They're <u>all</u> stupid and pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

Photo said this:

"However my one and only interaction with someone from their town has soured my view of individuals from their region."

Who's to say that the actions of someone form our town hadn't soured their view of individuals from our region?

Very true...I understand that one persons actions could have made that woman upset with our region as a whole, but two wrongs do not make a right....it gave her no excuse to say those derrogatory comments, and as a result I and my family caught the brunt of someone else's mistakes. But these are things every family must deal with and was used in our family as a teaching tool albeit much too soon for my taste.

You hate to see that happen. Too many people forget that high school events aren't the place to debate these kind of issues, that's not what these games are supposed to be about.

I don't know alot about Monticello fans, but WVU had a similar, and well publicized incident involving UVA in the Tire Bowl a few years back.

If fans from that school are like alot of others, 90% of them are decent people. It's kind of like going to a restaraunt. You'll forget about the 50 good meals you've ate their, but you'll sure remember the one that made you sick. It's like that for people alot of the time too.

on this subject i have to say something. i use to live in blfd va till 2004. after divorce i moved to the stuarts draft area then to harrisonburg. what i have found in this area are very nice people much like those from blfd. friendly yes. but unlike blfd and area which is small and rural it is not the same here. people do not stop and help if needed nor will they let you out while waiting in line to get on the road as much as in blfd. but like in blfd and surrounding area there are those that can and do give the entire area a bad name. i am not making excuses for this person but it is something that we all deal with no matter where we are. she should have kept her comments to herself. and gone on about her business. best thing i can say is those from swva be above those that want to put others down. do not let them bring you down to their level. we are better than that in swva.