RichRod to Michicken????

GMan

Rich Rod isn't going anywhere. Some coaches contacted the WVU AD and wanted to put their names in the hat if he did leave; the most surprising name on the list. . . . BUD FOSTER. No kidding.

Yep, but it wasn't Bud that contacted WVU...his agent did...he also put his name in for the Georgia Tech and Arkansas jobs...

Good read here...very reliable...

http://hamptonroads.com/blogs/kyle-tucker

Bud's not leaving. For now.

Hello, Blog Nation. I know some of you are furious (as always) that I’ve stepped away for a couple of weeks to move all my earthly possessions back from Blacksburg to Norfolk and to transition into covering high school wrestling (no, Tech football is not yet a 365-day-a-year gig).

But is there any better way to break back into blogging than to give you the full scoop on defensive Bud Foster and those pesky rumors of his impending departure to South Carolina?

Well, let’s dive right into it then. Foster told Beamer yesterday that he’s not going anywhere. At least not to South Carolina. It’s pretty clear now that there is absolutely no coordinator job anywhere that Foster’s going to take and leave his friend and mentor, Frank Beamer.

But he still burns to be a head coach. And his agent, Bob Lattinville, told me something interesting today. He said that things will get interesting if Rich Rodriguez leaves West Virginia and takes the head gig at Michigan.

“West Virginia is a program Bud is very familiar with,” Lattinville said. “I think they might be interested in him, and I’m sure Bud would have some interest.”

So stay tuned on that front. But as for Foster trading bird logos, from Hokie to Gamecock … not happening. And here’s what he had to say after today’s practice.

*** DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR BUD FOSTER

ON BEING OFFERED SOUTH CAROLINA’S D-COORDINATOR JOB: “I’m staying here. You know, it’s flattering to be offered a position, but I’ve got a great job here and I work for the best head coach in the country. I’m proud of what we’ve accomplished here, but as good as it’s been, I think we can continue to get better. I’m excited about being here and we’re going to move on.”

ON DEFINITELY BEING BACK NEXT YEAR AT TECH: “Yeah, unless somebody comes in here … Michigan or somebody like that calls me. This is home, and it’s been home for 21 years. Like I said, I’m excited about the opportunity to start anew next year. We’re going to lose some outstanding players, so I’ve got my own challenges right here.”

ON HOW FAR THE TALKS GOT: “To be honest, I talked to Coach, it’s been about a week. You get at a point in your career, ‘Do I need to take another job to be a head coach, to spread my roots a little bit.’ I went through a lot of scenarios. And obviously the money was a factor. But at the same time, money’s not everything. The people you work with, the people you work for, and what we have right here … you kind of think the grass is greener on the other side, and it’s pretty green where you have it.”

ON SPURRIER PURSUING HIM: “This is the second time he’s offered me a job. I talked to him today and told him thanks. He said, ‘Bud, I appreciate it. I didn’t think I was going to get you anyway. You don’t need to make a lateral move, but I was going to throw it out there and see.’ I’ve talked to him several times, and I appreciate him considering me. He’s an outstanding football coach in his own right. I told him I was flattered and honored to be offered. Thanks, but no thanks.”

ON OTHER POTENTIAL OFFERS: “I tried to get in on a couple head-coaching jobs. But it didn’t work out. I threw my name in at Georgia Tech. I threw my name in at Arkansas.”

ON WHETHER, AS AN ILLINOIS NATIVE, HE CONSIDERED THE OPENING AT NORTHERN ILLINOIS: “No. Those are rumors. It’s home, but I like competing at the highest level. And that’s what I want to do. I think I’ve got the ability to lead a program at that level. I feel like I don’t need to take a step back to take a step forward. I’ve been doing it too long, and I feel like I’m ready whenever that opportunity comes. Coach Spurrier and I were talking, and I guess it was a heckuva a compliment, he said, ‘If Bo Pelini can get that job, you can get that job.’ I appreciate him saying that.”

ON WHETHER LSU TALKED TO HIM ABOUT ITS D-COORDINATOR VACANCY: “No, no. I wish we would’ve played a little better, maybe they would’ve (laughing). That rumor mill … that stuff is crazy. It’s going to be the death of all of us.”

ON WHETHER SPURRIER TALKED OF MAKING HIM THE HIGHEST-PAID DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR IN THE COUNTRY: “There were some words of that nature. The contract, and we didn’t sit down and talk a whole lot of numbers … but the contract was going to be a nice one. But Coach Beamer and Coach Weaver, they stepped up to the plate yesterday, too. I was really excited about that.”

ON WHETHER THAT MEANS A RAISE IS COMING: “I hope. They’re talking. In today’s day and age, the head coaches are getting paid. And the assistants, our salaries are better than they’ve ever been, but there’s still a big discrepancy. When you start seeing the Jimbo Fishers and some of these guys getting paid what they are, I think it’s fair you get paid your fair-market value. It’s just the nature of the beast. You better get it now, because it may not be here down the road. And I’m not getting any younger. I don’t want to be an old, crusty ball coach. I don’t want to be cussing and dragging my ass out of bed and all that and being unhappy. I want to throw a line out in the water when I get older.”

ON WHETHER TECH CONSIDERED GIVING HIM THE JIMBO FISHER DEAL, PAYING HIM BIG AND NAMING HIM THE HEAD COACH OF THE FUTURE: “Nah. That’d be nice to know. Jimbo’s got the win-win.”

ON THE DUKE OPENING: “I didn’t throw my name in that. I don’t need to be a head coach just to be a head coach.” ON MENTIONING IN THE PAST AVOIDING COACH-KILLERS: “And that is one. Ted Roof did as good a job as anybody can do down there. They’ve got to come to the plate and allow some exemptions for their players and allow for a level playing field. It’s not like you’ve got to recruit dummies. But you’ve got to be able to bring some people in that you can compete with.”

ON THE BEST THREE OR FOUR-YEAR PERIOD OF A DEFENSE AT TECH: “I would agree. The numbers say that. And talent-wise, the way the guys play, I’d say that. We’ve been on a run here. It’s kind of bittersweet … you’re happy for them in one sense. They’re graduating and moving on and you’re excited for what the future holds for them. But, damn, I’ll probably be crying after the Orange Bowl. But that’s what it’s all about. You go through one segment and you get ready to turn it around again. That’s what’s great and what’s unique about college football.”

[ QUOTE ]

if he went would that mean michigan would be running the spread... haha that'll be the day

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, the Big Ten would be crazy....Michigan winning every game....I mean look at what the spread did to OSU when Illinois ran it.

michigan would not be able to run the spread.. sure they could but there would be that transition period of a few years (i'd say 3) probably w/ recruiting the right players and stuff i think, also say richrod did come in he'd have to teach them a new system and michigans o-line was not recruited to run the spread, also michigan doesn't have a mobile QB which i guess to run the spread you don't need one but teams w/ one run it much more effectively (florida,oregon,wvu) and it opens up the playbook so much more, and those years of transition where they would probably have mediocre years just isn't acceptable at michigan.. look at lloyd carr lost to appalachian state first game of the year which was an embarrasment to the program and then had an otherwise good year but lost to ohio state if they had beat osu carr would still be at michigan and we wouldn't even be talking about this

This is a little interesting, I must say. See this article, paragraphs 4-6. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3155414

"Rodriguez, 44, was back in Morgantown on Friday after taking a flight from Ohio, and unwilling to talk about any possible interest in the Michigan job.

"Going to practice. I'm going to practice," he told The Associated Press on Friday, getting into his car after a trip to Toledo.

Rodriguez again refused to discuss Michigan's vacant coaching job on Saturday."

Interesting that he wouldn't just come out and say that the talks fell through, or that he would remain at West Virginia. Interesting how curt he's being with the media. A tell-tale sign that things are going well for Michigan? Hmmm...

[ QUOTE ]

First Beilein goes, now could Rich Rod go too?

**DISCLAIMER** Before anyone jumps on me, this is just an OBSERVATION... It would be rather odd to see the West Virginia basketball coach leave for Michigan and then the next year the football coach is out the door to the Big House.

In my opinion, Rich Rod isn't going anywhere

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you think of Bud Foster going to WVU?

after watching an interview of one of the players after he announced he was leaving, my feelings changed about rod.

IF he was interested in the money only, then the would have left last year, hands down. however, the player they interviewed had nothing but good things to say about coach. he said the only time problems came up was when RR was trying to get somethign better for the players whether it be facilities, weights, training stuff, jerseys, whatever! but he was ALWASY fighting for better stuff for the players and coaching staff and that's a fact.

IMO, i think RR is making a point to WVU's athletic director that this is what happens when you promise him all this new stuff, and you don't follow through. so RR isn't the traitor here..it's the athletic director. RR was just forced into this situation and he's making a statement.

i hope he does well, and i hope WVU get's off the traitor wagon soon because i don't want to be around a bunch of drunk haters the whole time im up there next year...

[ QUOTE ]

after watching an interview of one of the players after he announced he was leaving, my feelings changed about rod.

IF he was interested in the money only, then the would have left last year, hands down. however, the player they interviewed had nothing but good things to say about coach. he said the only time problems came up was when RR was trying to get somethign better for the players whether it be facilities, weights, training stuff, jerseys, whatever! but he was ALWASY fighting for better stuff for the players and coaching staff and that's a fact.

IMO, i think RR is making a point to WVU's athletic director that this is what happens when you promise him all this new stuff, and you don't follow through. so RR isn't the traitor here..it's the athletic director. RR was just forced into this situation and he's making a statement.

i hope he does well, and i hope WVU get's off the traitor wagon soon because i don't want to be around a bunch of drunk haters the whole time im up there next year...

[/ QUOTE ]

the same thing was said in his conference. If he was wanting more money, he would have went to Alabama last year. This all came up from problems with the AD. Rod went to him about getting his assistants better pay and about how there were promised funds coming to the program that werent showing up. Rod got upset, got info on the Michigan job and took it. Do I blame him? no.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the same thing was said in his conference. If he was wanting more money, he would have went to Alabama last year. This all came up from problems with the AD. Rod went to him about getting his assistants better pay and about how there were promised funds coming to the program that werent showing up. Rod got upset, got info on the Michigan job and took it. Do I blame him? no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately you guys don't know the whole situation. You are right that it may not be about just the money. It basically has to do with the money and Coach Rods ego. Even if you dont agree with the AD it doesnt mean you turn your back on your players, school, and state. Rod should be grateful of how folks opened up their wallets to him last year. Oh Yea...one of Rods "excuses" was that they would not give his wife Rita a field pass. BULLSPIT! As you can tell he was really looking for anything to get out.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately you guys don't know the whole situation. You are right that it may not be about just the money. It basically has to do with the money and Coach Rods ego. Even if you dont agree with the AD it doesnt mean you turn your back on your players, school, and state. Rod should be grateful of how folks opened up their wallets to him last year. Oh Yea...one of Rods "excuses" was that they would not give his wife Rita a field pass. BULLSPIT! As you can tell he was really looking for anything to get out.

[/ QUOTE ]

First:

Prestige at Michigan > Prestige at West Virginia

Money at Michigan > Money at West Virginia

Talent Pool of Big Ten > Talent Pool of Big East

Second:

Say that you had a successful private-practicing lawyer in Bluefield, who just so happens to have you as a client. He was successful in his job, making right at $100,000 per year: quite a bit of money. However, a prestigious firm in Richmond offers him $175,000 per year to be a junior partner. In the real world, you'd be more than happy for him, and wish him the best as he pursues his dreams nearly 350 miles away. Although he is doing a disservice to his clientele by moving away, people would generally not be mad: they would find a new lawyer to whom they confide in. Most of you would agree with me on this, right? He's doing what's best for himself his family, albeit not exactly for his clients.

However, when Rodriguez moves to a position with higher prestige, a larger recruiting base, with a fair bit more money, but doing a disservice to HIS clients, West Virginia fans want to lynch him. The man's doing what's best for his career: looking out for #1 and his own, just like my lawyer in the previous example. Wish him the best, place your support in the hands of the new coach, and stop being jealous because a slightly better school offered him a great job. That's life, baby.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First:

Prestige at Michigan > Prestige at West Virginia

Money at Michigan > Money at West Virginia

Talent Pool of Big Ten > Talent Pool of Big East

Second:

Say that you had a successful private-practicing lawyer in Bluefield, who just so happens to have you as a client. He was successful in his job, making right at $100,000 per year: quite a bit of money. However, a prestigious firm in Richmond offers him $175,000 per year to be a junior partner. In the real world, you'd be more than happy for him, and wish him the best as he pursues his dreams nearly 350 miles away. Although he is doing a disservice to his clientele by moving away, people would generally not be mad: they would find a new lawyer to whom they confide in. Most of you would agree with me on this, right? He's doing what's best for himself his family, albeit not exactly for his clients.

However, when Rodriguez moves to a position with higher prestige, a larger recruiting base, with a fair bit more money, but doing a disservice to HIS clients, West Virginia fans want to lynch him. The man's doing what's best for his career: looking out for #1 and his own, just like my lawyer in the previous example. Wish him the best, place your support in the hands of the new coach, and stop being jealous because a slightly better school offered him a great job. That's life, baby.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

Guest JJBrickface

You don't understand you are not a Mountaineer fan! For a former player and state native to leave the state university it really means something. Thats what you dont understand. Its hard for me to explain to you because you dont necessarily understand what it means to be a West Virginian. Its something you may not ever really understand because of that.

[ QUOTE ]

You don't understand you are not a Mountaineer fan! For a former player and state native to leave the state university it really means something. Thats what you dont understand. Its hard for me to explain to you because you dont necessarily understand what it means to be a West Virginian. Its something you may not ever really understand because of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it means that much to be "West Virginian" then why are you repalcing a coach that's a native son and a former player? You had a man that met all criteria and "understood", and now he's in Ann Arbor.

The bottom line for many WVU fans is thirty one years after your football coach left for what is viewed as "greener pastures", the cycle is repeating itself.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it means that much to be "West Virginian" then why are you repalcing a coach that's a native son and a former player? You had a man that met all criteria and "understood", and now he's in Ann Arbor.

The bottom line for many WVU fans is thirty one years after your football coach left for what is viewed as "greener pastures", the cycle is repeating itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Coach Rod forgot where he came from, thats why! He is putting the blame on the WVU athletic department. One of his reasons for leaving was because the AD wouldn't change the policy of charging high school coaches $5. Like Hoppy Kercheval said this morning on wvmetronews, that would be like a wife divorcing the husband for leaving the toilet seat up.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Coach Rod forgot where he came from, thats why! He is putting the blame on the WVU athletic department. One of his reasons for leaving was because the AD wouldn't change the policy of charging high school coaches $5. Like Hoppy Kercheval said this morning on wvmetronews, that would be like a wife divorcing the husband for leaving the toilet seat up.

[/ QUOTE ]

rich is probably saying things he doesnt mean, but yet simply using them as excuses for the real one... he wants to coach a upper tiered program.

he left because he is going to one of the most prestigous football dynasty in the country. he has tons of recruiting power there.

anyone else would have left too, it like being the manager at k-mart then wal-mart calling you up wanting you to be the manager there. its a huge step up, and of course you are gonna take it. coaching an upper tiered program may have been rich rods dream, dont bash him like most wvu fans do, allow him to be on his way and pursue his dreams regardless of what you think are the rumors.

i have to say that wvu fans loved this guy, and why shouldnt they... but now that he is trying to better himself he was the worst coach ever.

rich rod invented the spread, and brought a lot of talent to wvu, and a couple of big east championships. he shouldnt have been thrown out of town...instead waved goodbye to, and given a pat on the back along with a thank you and good luck.

Look i believe WVU will be able to get a nice coach and be alright after Rod leaves . . . The only thing i question is why he left where he is from to go to a school who couldnt beat his on the field . . . If it was for more money i'd understand but they say it's not (but the reason he took this job insteab of Alabama was b/c he was to cheap to by new coats and he already had gold and blue lol) . . . Bottom line they give him three years i could see them winning the NC not that he couldnt have at WVU if he get the right ppl in place but at the end of the day idk if i wouldnt feel like a sell out for doing so but hey thats just my thoughts on the subject . . .

RichRod made a good choice. I dont think he did anything to where he should be shunned upon by WVU fans. He took a glorious opportunity. The athletic director didnt give what was promised, so RichRod got fed up and was in the running for Michigan and took it. It is prestigous there. There is only one Michigan. The recruiting power is tremendous, the perks are great and you have the greatest rivalry in all of college football. Im glad for coach Rod and I wish him success at Michigan. It's a shame how the people who once worshiped him are now despising him for making a good choice and moving on to something greater.

[ QUOTE ]

RichRod made a good choice. I dont think he did anything to where he should be shunned upon by WVU fans. He took a glorious opportunity. The athletic director didnt give what was promised, so RichRod got fed up and was in the running for Michigan and took it. It is prestigous there. There is only one Michigan. The recruiting power is tremendous, the perks are great and you have the greatest rivalry in all of college football. Im glad for coach Rod and I wish him success at Michigan. It's a shame how the people who once worshiped him are now despising him for making a good choice and moving on to something greater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%

Good post.

[ QUOTE ]

Look i believe WVU will be able to get a nice coach and be alright after Rod leaves . . . The only thing i question is why he left where he is from to go to a school who couldnt beat his on the field . . . If it was for more money i'd understand but they say it's not (but the reason he took this job insteab of Alabama was b/c he was to cheap to by new coats and he already had gold and blue lol) . . . Bottom line they give him three years i could see them winning the NC not that he couldnt have at WVU if he get the right ppl in place but at the end of the day idk if i wouldnt feel like a sell out for doing so but hey thats just my thoughts on the subject . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

WVU may have beaten Michigan this year, maybe but not on a consistent, year to year basis. WVU tends to overestimate the value and prestige of its program. Step outside of WV sometime and you'll see that WVU isn't the powerhouse, dream program that their fans like to perceive themselves as being.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WVU may have beaten Michigan this year, maybe but not on a consistent, year to year basis. WVU tends to overestimate the value and prestige of its program. Step outside of WV sometime and you'll see that WVU isn't the powerhouse, dream program that their fans like to perceive themselves as being.

[/ QUOTE ]

B4 this year i would agree that wvu is not that big out of the state but now everyone knows who the r thanks to ESPN and all the Slaton Devine White and Schmit talk around the nation . . . i mean they were one game away fron a NC . . . Michigan is now famous for the appy state lose