2008 James Monroe schedule

photoguy

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

from what im hearing, the richlands game will probably work out, talking with another virginia team, and a couple of teams in north carolina. at this point though, i think the games for sure are graham, princeton, oak hill, mt view, james monroe, and scott.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Richlands tries to weasel out of the game at Bluefield this year they'll face a lot of backlash across the region. Many people around the area will lose all respect for them if they pull such a move. However, I told Tom, Beaverball, and several others before they played this year that if Bluefield won down there I seriously doubted Richlands would make the trek to Bluefield in 2008. It's dumbfounding that a program wanting to establish itself as one of the elite in the area is even wavering one bit to uphold their traveling end of an agreement.

I know that they were in talks with a team from Charlotte, which looked promising in the beginning. However, that soured recently when that school ran into trouble fitting such travel into their budget. It wasn't dead totally, but it was looking like a longshot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know which charlotte team it was?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I didn't get a name.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

I see they still have some cream puffs on the schedule...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, after having some teams drop JM this year and knowing the problems Bluefield has had with scheduling, I've come to the opinion that the real creampuffs are those teams that run and hide and won't come out and play!!!! smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I see they still have some cream puffs on the schedule...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, after having some teams drop JM this year and knowing the problems Bluefield has had with scheduling, I've come to the opinion that the real creampuffs are those teams that run and hide and won't come out and play!!!! smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point...never thought of it that way...

Listed below is the tentative James Monroe Football schedule for 2008.

WEEK 1 NARROWS W

WEEK 2 WYANE L

WEEK 3 @ OAK HILL W

WEEK 4 PIKEVIEW W

WEEK 5 @SCOTT W

WEEK 6 @ WYOMING EAST W

WEEK 7 GREENBRIER EAST W

WEEK 8 OPEN W

WEEK 9 MOUNT VIEW W

WEEK 10 BLUEFIELD L

WEEK 11 OPEN W

Lose Second Round Playoffs to BHS

James Monroe would really benefit from dropping Narrows and Pikeview in order to add two more quality opponents. However the latter would be more unlikely considering it's somewhat of a rivalry game. They have really made an effort to improve their schedule and I salute them.

The Narrows game certainly developed into a rivalry - counties a state line apart, lots of Giles County/Monroe County folks working together, etc. - but, unfortunately, in the last few years, Narrows has suffered from a dwindling school population. (Don't know if Narrows and Giles will ever be able to overcome the hurdle and consolidate.) Pikeview - I'm not sure why they're still on the schedule, but in a somewhat reverse situation, they're so bad, everybody's dropping them. It kinda seems if Liberty Raleigh and Shady felt they needed to drop us, Pikeview would certainly have even more reason to do so. Frankly, I guess given the point system and the way things have been lately, JM would be better off to play only 8 games (if you can still be playoff eligible with 8???)

Guest BEAVERTAIL

8 is playoff eligible. pikeview can only give a team 9 points, figuring they wont beat any other teams... that could hurt a team when it comes to the top 4 spots...

They are also almost Class A in WV. I really think they are setting themselves up to drop down in a couple of years...adding a few Class A schools to the schedule and such...

[ QUOTE ]

heard something today that graham may have picked them up

[/ QUOTE ]

As of 3 PM yesterday, they had not. Doug called me and asked to spread the word that Graham needed a game. He had called James Monroe but had not heard back from them.

Would be a great addition to the schedules of both teams...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As of 3 PM yesterday, they had not. Doug called me and asked to spread the word that Graham needed a game. He had called James Monroe but had not heard back from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be a great addition to the JM schedule. Maybe it will work out!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be a great addition to the JM schedule. Maybe it will work out!

[/ QUOTE ]

All James Monroe has to do is say "YES"...

[ QUOTE ]

like Wayne? the team that denied us and took up you guys? the Wayne team that said that Bluefield was "too athletic" and would rather wait til playoffs to play us?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Bluefield is "too athletic"...it's why we played Mount View when few others would...even though its a 4-hour drive on a curvy 2-lane road...we've done 2 home-and-homes with them since 2000. Bluefield is a different animal, especially this past year, but player for player, they aren't MORE athletic than Mount View...perhaps equal.

Wayne doesn't owe Bluefield a thing. Why help Bluefield over James Monroe, or vice-versa? Seems to me we apparently have a better working relationship with James Monroe anyway...plus we're in the Cardinal Conference and play Tolsia and Chesapeake, OH every year...that alone accounts for 9 games.

Again...we don't owe Bluefield anything. Go steal another player from Graham that you really don't need anyway. Perhaps ol' Freddy should have thought about stuff like this before throwing for the endzone up 62-24 with 2 minutes left in the 2004 state championship game...

Do you need any other possible reasons why we aren't playing Bluefield? I don't represent the Wayne athletic department in any manner...but its a game that, already having a trip to Mount View canceled and picking up James Monroe on the road in its place, doesn't really seem to make sense.

You reap what you sow...

I'm happy to be playing James Monroe in 2008

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

like Wayne? the team that denied us and took up you guys? the Wayne team that said that Bluefield was "too athletic" and would rather wait til playoffs to play us?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Bluefield is "too athletic"...it's why we played Mount View when few others would...even though its a 4-hour drive on a curvy 2-lane road...we've done 2 home-and-homes with them since 2000. Bluefield is a different animal, especially this past year, but player for player, they aren't MORE athletic than Mount View...perhaps equal.

Wayne doesn't owe Bluefield a thing. Why help Bluefield over James Monroe, or vice-versa? Seems to me we apparently have a better working relationship with James Monroe anyway...plus we're in the Cardinal Conference and play Tolsia and Chesapeake, OH every year...that alone accounts for 9 games.

Again...we don't owe Bluefield anything. Go steal another player from Graham that you really don't need anyway. Perhaps ol' Freddy should have thought about stuff like this before throwing for the endzone up 62-24 with 2 minutes left in the 2004 state championship game...

Do you need any other possible reasons why we aren't playing Bluefield? I don't represent the Wayne athletic department in any manner...but its a game that, already having a trip to Mount View canceled and picking up James Monroe on the road in its place, doesn't really seem to make sense.

You reap what you sow...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's alright Pioneer. It appears we've picked up Wheeling Central, which will present a better challenge for the Beavers anyway. Safe travels to Linside in 2008.

BTW: I wouldn't comment on taking players from other schools when you've had a number from other schools come into your program with your recent string of success. It's classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.

[ QUOTE ]

Actually, we've had exactly 1 kid come in who has ever started a game for another school over the past 7-8 years.

Our boys are homegrown.

[/ QUOTE ]

As are the vast majority of ours. We've had two to come here a start in the last two years. Cole this past year and Powell the previous year, who transfered in as a freshman. Before that we've had ZERO kids from other schools come here and contribute significantly. But we've lost enough talent to Graham and Princeton over the years to put together an All-State team. The point is, it's easy to make accusations of that nature about any school because the vast majority have had other kids from other schools transfer to their school, especially in the last 10 years or so.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be...much easier game than playing Bluefield...grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Take your pick...chase Bluefield all over the field or man up and get punched in the mouth by James Monroe. Neither is exactly an attractive option...and James Monroe will be pretty good with Robertson and Kiesel still there. Losing those plowboys up front will hurt, but they run a sound system. It's really a pick your poison proposition.

I don't think the word "easy" applies to playing James Monroe...regardless. smile.gif