photoguy

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I'm happy to be playing James Monroe in 2008

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be...much easier game than playing Bluefield...grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Take your pick...chase Bluefield all over the field or man up and get punched in the mouth by James Monroe. Neither is exactly an attractive option...and James Monroe will be pretty good with Robertson and Kiesel still there. Losing those plowboys up front will hurt, but they run a sound system. It's really a pick your poison proposition.

I don't think the word "easy" applies to playing James Monroe...regardless. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think both Bluefield and Wayne got better matchups for themselves. James Monroe will challenge the physical style that Wayne likes to play while Wheeling Central (if they do schedule Bluefield) will challenge the athetic and speed style of Bluefield.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Actually, we've had exactly 1 kid come in who has ever started a game for another school over the past 7-8 years.

Our boys are homegrown.

[/ QUOTE ]

As are the vast majority of ours. We've had two to come here a start in the last two years. Cole this past year and Powell the previous year, who transfered in as a freshman. Before that we've had ZERO kids from other schools come here and contribute significantly. But we've lost enough talent to Graham and Princeton over the years to put together an All-State team. The point is, it's easy to make accusations of that nature about any school because the vast majority have had other kids from other schools transfer to their school, especially in the last 10 years or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean...but your transfers have really been impact, all-state caliber guys. Cole, Davis, Repass, Powell...I understand Davis and Repass were technically transferring home, but I think you understand the point. Ours are told they're "too small" or "too slow" by Spring Valley, but come here and succeed because of good coaching and raw football skills. We lost a real good player to SV before 2003 that would have started at Wayne...considering he was a RB and fumbles were our biggest problem, he could have been the difference between 8-4 and 10-2 that particular year.

And I know how it works...successful programs recruit themselves and kids just show up. We had a guy last year who just showed up from Huntington High. He hadn't started there because he was "too short". Turned into honorable mention at DT...was probably borderline making second-team.

We do get a few kids who come in straight out of middle school...but ironically, most of them are girls bball players (which is really random considering the sporadic success of the program...which is getting better but hasn't won a sectional...ever)..or cheerleaders that aren't interested in competition and are looking for a successful team to cheer for...

Sounds crazy but its true.

You know, that makes sense B_R...match-up wise...but Wayne wasn't a typical Wayne team last year and everyone knew it. I don't mean in quality...it was a good team..but the make-up was different. We were TINY up front. We had a mammoth tackle and a bunch of guys barely tipping 200 lbs...and a 150 lbs guard...with a 150 lbs fullback, a dinged up 175-lb HB, and a 130 lbs wingback. We were like midgets running around last year. Hopefully we can get some bulk on those guys...we have a lot more starters back this coming year than we did last year...especially up front. I think 2 or 3 of our OL were sophomores...and they took their lumps against some of the big, physical teams we played (even like Sissonville, who wasn't that good...but they were physically strong...just couldn't defend the pass).

We got caught in-between...we weren't big enough to be physically dominant, and we weren't fast enough to play basketball on grass.

[ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean...but your transfers have really been impact, all-state caliber guys. Cole, Davis, Repass, Powell...I understand Davis and Repass were technically transferring home, but I think you understand the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well technically, you can consider Cole "home-grown" also because he went to Bluefield all through his elementary school years and moved across the border around, or a little bit before, the time started he middle school...

Bluefield didnt "steal" anyone. Cole came to Bluefield at the end of last school year and started lifting and working with the team on his own. It's not like Bluefield officials went to Graham and begged him to come, or in your case, put him in a potato sack during his biology class, threw him over their shoulders, and ran out of there. We also had a transfer in Levi Beckett last year, who saw maybe 5 snaps the entire season due to injury. The kid didnt leave from Princeton Middle for his own success. He left for a chance at a state championship and got it. If he wanted to continue his own glory he would have stayed at Princeton where he would have started at quarterback as a freshman. Once more, no one went to Princeton Middle and roped up Levi and dragged him out of there kicking and screaming...he came to Bluefield on his own.

Also, as far as not being man-for-man more athletic than Mount View..explain 62-0 this year? We dominated every phase of that game and completely shut down by far their most athletic player in Cordero High. Last year Bluefield was very athletic, as they will be this year with some good skill players coming back and others replacing. Sure, picking up James Monroe is a good game for you all, but when you tell Bluefield that they are "too athletic" to be played in the regular season and that you would rather wait til playoffs seems kinda strange. I guess honesty works though.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

like Wayne? the team that denied us and took up you guys? the Wayne team that said that Bluefield was "too athletic" and would rather wait til playoffs to play us?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Bluefield is "too athletic"...it's why we played Mount View when few others would...even though its a 4-hour drive on a curvy 2-lane road...we've done 2 home-and-homes with them since 2000. Bluefield is a different animal, especially this past year, but player for player, they aren't MORE athletic than Mount View...perhaps equal.

Wayne doesn't owe Bluefield a thing. Why help Bluefield over James Monroe, or vice-versa? Seems to me we apparently have a better working relationship with James Monroe anyway...plus we're in the Cardinal Conference and play Tolsia and Chesapeake, OH every year...that alone accounts for 9 games.

Again...we don't owe Bluefield anything. Go steal another player from Graham that you really don't need anyway. Perhaps ol' Freddy should have thought about stuff like this before throwing for the endzone up 62-24 with 2 minutes left in the 2004 state championship game...

Do you need any other possible reasons why we aren't playing Bluefield? I don't represent the Wayne athletic department in any manner...but its a game that, already having a trip to Mount View canceled and picking up James Monroe on the road in its place, doesn't really seem to make sense.

You reap what you sow...

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep taking the high road in the regular season and you'll find yourself on the receiving end of several more of those 62-24 affairs come playoff time. I'd much rather Bluefield play someone who is going to give them a challenge because it appears to me that Wayne is usually a little overrated in most years anyway.

Again...we don't owe Bluefield anything. Go steal another player from Graham that you really don't need anyway. Perhaps ol' Freddy should have thought about stuff like this before throwing for the endzone up 62-24 with 2 minutes left in the 2004 state championship game...

You reap what you sow...

HAHAHAHA. So in other words you're saying you beat the dog @#@#$ out of us and embarassed us in the state championship, so reap it... we aint playing you all again... If thats the mindset up there, then i wouldn't want to play u anyway. WAAAAAAHHHH

[ QUOTE ]

Where was Bluefield when Wayne only had 9 games in 2001?

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing a 10 game schedule. Come on now, let's not get silly about this. Where was Wayne in 2005, 2006, and 2007 when Bluefield only played nine games, see the point?

[ QUOTE ]

Bluefield didnt "steal" anyone. Cole came to Bluefield at the end of last school year and started lifting and working with the team on his own. It's not like Bluefield officials went to Graham and begged him to come, or in your case, put him in a potato sack during his biology class, threw him over their shoulders, and ran out of there. We also had a transfer in Levi Beckett last year, who saw maybe 5 snaps the entire season due to injury. The kid didnt leave from Princeton Middle for his own success. He left for a chance at a state championship and got it. If he wanted to continue his own glory he would have stayed at Princeton where he would have started at quarterback as a freshman. Once more, no one went to Princeton Middle and roped up Levi and dragged him out of there kicking and screaming...he came to Bluefield on his own.

Also, as far as not being man-for-man more athletic than Mount View..explain 62-0 this year? We dominated every phase of that game and completely shut down by far their most athletic player in Cordero High. Last year Bluefield was very athletic, as they will be this year with some good skill players coming back and others replacing. Sure, picking up James Monroe is a good game for you all, but when you tell Bluefield that they are "too athletic" to be played in the regular season and that you would rather wait til playoffs seems kinda strange. I guess honesty works though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-read my post and if you can comprehend it, perhaps you can try the part of your post regarding Mount View again.

Didn't Mount View beat Bluefield in 2006? Thought so...

[ QUOTE ]

You reap what you sow...

HAHAHAHA. So in other words you're saying you beat the dog @#@#$ out of us and embarassed us in the state championship, so reap it... we aint playing you all again... If thats the mindset up there, then i wouldn't want to play u anyway. WAAAAAAHHHH

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluefield didn't embarass Wayne that night. Wayne embarrassed Wayne. You realize we actually turned the ball over 4 times in which no one from Bluefield touched the guy with the ball? We would have lost to a midget league team that night.

IN OTHER WORDS, you win with class, people help you out. Don't come begging for help when you run up the score on a team that had long since given up. Throwing a TD pass up 62-24 with 2 minutes left against backups....with a senior QB (Repass moved over from WR)...is classless. Period. End of story.

THAT is what you get when you reap what you sow. Wayne's not afraid of Bluefield. But you're the ones begging for games...don't expect programs that you've run scores up on to come to the rescue.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

like Wayne? the team that denied us and took up you guys? the Wayne team that said that Bluefield was "too athletic" and would rather wait til playoffs to play us?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Bluefield is "too athletic"...it's why we played Mount View when few others would...even though its a 4-hour drive on a curvy 2-lane road...we've done 2 home-and-homes with them since 2000. Bluefield is a different animal, especially this past year, but player for player, they aren't MORE athletic than Mount View...perhaps equal.

Wayne doesn't owe Bluefield a thing. Why help Bluefield over James Monroe, or vice-versa? Seems to me we apparently have a better working relationship with James Monroe anyway...plus we're in the Cardinal Conference and play Tolsia and Chesapeake, OH every year...that alone accounts for 9 games.

Do you need any other possible reasons why we aren't playing Bluefield? I don't represent the Wayne athletic department in any manner...but its a game that, already having a trip to Mount View canceled and picking up James Monroe on the road in its place, doesn't really seem to make sense.

You reap what you sow...

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep taking the high road in the regular season and you'll find yourself on the receiving end of several more of those 62-24 affairs come playoff time. I'd much rather Bluefield play someone who is going to give them a challenge because it appears to me that Wayne is usually a little overrated in most years anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wayne's not usually overrated...we're usually thought of as the 2nd or 3rd best team most years (we've only been #1 going into the playoffs once ever). We've been to the semifinals 4 straight years, getting to Wheeling twice, and winning once in that span. That pretty well is where a team thought to be 2nd or 3rd should be, correct?

Mount View beat Bluefield on a horendous call. I for one hate blaming losses on officials, but when a kid from Mount View punts the ball, no one from Bluefield touches it or is within 10 yards of it and Mount View picks it up and its Mount Views ball, that is just stupid. Mount View then scored and took the lead.

Bluefield showed what really was up when 62-0 happened. that is athleticism.

Also id have to say losing 69-24 is pretty embarassing and wasnt only caused by your mistakes. Bluefield tram,pled you, you got annihilated. Accept it. I know youre about to bring up the 05 game where we got killed, but we accepted that and we know that we lost it straight up. Were not gonna say we embarassed ourselves.

Its alright that you got scared and backed out on Bluefield. Believe me, its ok. Youre definitely not the first team to do so and most definitely will not be the last.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

You reap what you sow...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluefield didn't embarass Wayne that night. Wayne embarrassed Wayne. You realize we actually turned the ball over 4 times in which no one from Bluefield touched the guy with the ball? We would have lost to a midget league team that night.

IN OTHER WORDS, you win with class, people help you out. Don't come begging for help when you run up the score on a team that had long since given up. Throwing a TD pass up 62-24 with 2 minutes left against backups....with a senior QB (Repass moved over from WR)...is classless. Period. End of story.

THAT is what you get when you reap what you sow. Wayne's not afraid of Bluefield. But you're the ones begging for games...don't expect programs that you've run scores up on to come to the rescue.

[/ QUOTE ]

If no one is afraid to play Bluefield then why will no one in the state play us. Which is why we are having to try and play Wheeling Central. We cant even get AAA schools to play us. You say it is because we run the score up on people. But is it our fault when the JV team goes in and runs all over their varsity. The players work hard for every second they get on the field so yeah we are going to try and run all over them it is the other teams fault if they dont prepare themselves.

[ QUOTE ]

Mount View beat Bluefield on a horendous call. I for one hate blaming losses on officials, but when a kid from Mount View punts the ball, no one from Bluefield touches it or is within 10 yards of it and Mount View picks it up and its Mount Views ball, that is just stupid. Mount View then scored and took the lead.

Bluefield showed what really was up when 62-0 happened. that is athleticism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Money please zip it. Bluefield lost to Mount View in 2006 b/c they played like crap on special teams. They snapped a punt over the punter's head and gave the ball to Mount View inside the 10-yardline. They then don't bother downing a punt that Mount View picks up and takes to the house for a score. You cannot blame the officials for that loss, so please be quiet and quit using horrible excuses. Bluefield lost b/c they didn't make the plays necessary to win and Mount View did. However, you're correct in that Bluefield certainly returned the favor this past season.

that play with the punt did seal the deal for Mount View. thats what im getting at. Throughout the entire game bluefield has an off night, it was clear. like i said, i hate saying refs caused a game. the refs didnt cause all of that one, BUT, that call on the punt didnt help matters. Thats all im saying. I blame that loss on us, I was there, watching in amazement at how bad we were playing.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be...much easier game than playing Bluefield...grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, ask Mount View about that lmao. 0-53 against James Monroe was alot closer than 0-62 against Bluefield, yeah.

Bluefield on average is a little more athletic than Bluefield, but against both cases, you'll absolutly get blown out the door if you don't come ready to play some ball.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

that play with the punt did seal the deal for Mount View. thats what im getting at. Throughout the entire game bluefield has an off night, it was clear. like i said, i hate saying refs caused a game. the refs didnt cause all of that one, BUT, that call on the punt didnt help matters. Thats all im saying. I blame that loss on us, I was there, watching in amazement at how bad we were playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was the right call. If you really want to down a ball then pick it up, not swat at it. The ball does go back to the place where it was first touched by the kicking team, but for the ball to be considered dead the kicking team must "control" the ball. I was there, the bluefield player went by the ball touched it and went on. he never controlled it. It was a legitimate call.

MV came to play, period. Bluefield didnt.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

You reap what you sow...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange. I guess Bluefield's defense and special teams had nothing to do with how poorly Wayne played that night. If you're going to use the "we beat ourselves" excuse then Wayne should have never realistically been in the title game to begin with. You should accept that fact that you were beaten by the best team in the state that year and had Weir been in the opposite side of the bracket, Wayne wouldn't have even made it to Wheeling to embarass themselves.

My point was never that Bluefield wasn't superior...but they sure as heck weren't, ON average (they certainly were THAT NIGHT though...which is what matters) 45 points better. They were a solid 21-28 points better though.

But it comes back full circle. James Monroe wanted to play too. So if Wayne picks Bluefield over James Monroe, could the JM people say we dodged them? You guys are worked up over nothing. You're going to have another outstanding, exceptional team this fall. The chips will fall where they may.

ANY Bluefield team that enters the playoffs undefeated...is virtually a lock to win the state championship....

AMEN to that. For you to saY YOU BEAT YOURSELVES? HAHHAHAHAHA YOU BEAT YOURSELVES IN a 10 point loss or so then yeah, i would believe it. Dude, you got waxed 69-24...... You probably werent even in the best 5 teams in the state that year. Who did you play in the semis? Shady Spring? haha. If your coaches are using the excuse that we ran the score up on u in that game than your definitely a bunch of wannabes and i would rather play pikeview than you. Grow some balls, play us, or shut up!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

AMEN to that. For you to saY YOU BEAT YOURSELVES? HAHHAHAHAHA YOU BEAT YOURSELVES IN a 10 point loss or so then yeah, i would believe it. Dude, you got waxed 69-24...... You probably werent even in the best 5 teams in the state that year. Who did you play in the semis? Shady Spring? haha. If your coaches are using the excuse that we ran the score up on u in that game than your definitely a bunch of wannabes and i would rather play pikeview than you. Grow some balls, play us, or shut up!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't owe you anything. And my views don't represent the coaching staff. They represent ME.

I never said Bluefield wasn't great. You're a FREAKING MORON if you can't ascertain that. The point was the game got extremely lopsided because of WAYNE's mistakes. 3 shotgun snaps, 3 turnovers, 2 TD's for Bluefield...and you think Wayne's collapse had nothing to do with the final being 69-24?

I didn't say Wayne "beat themselves". I said Wayne "embarassed themselves". Big difference. You need to get over yourself.

And hey, our 8-4 2003 team beat Poca by 2 TD's at Poca...how as your game with the Dots that year? We didn't get to the semifinals that year because of an 8 fumble performance against WESTSIDE. We did the same thing against Westside we did against Bluefield a year later. The difference is, Bluefield was so much better than Westside...we did that against Westside and lost by 8. We did it against Bluefield and lost by 45. So it wasn't unprecidented. You guys were spectacular, and I think the best team regardless of class in the state. I just wish we had played a more sound football game. I'll take a sound 28-point whipping over a circus-like 45-point loss anyday.

And you threw a TD pass with under two minutes...WCHS out of Charleston even brings it up as one of the more classless happenings in Wheeling over the years...Josh Lewis made more than one reference to it this year. It's not just me that feels that way.

And I'll be the very first to admit. In 2005, we threw a TD pass early in the 4th quarter with a 76-42 lead against Liberty-Raleigh. The difference is....they had their starters in...both the QB and WR who connected for the 12th Wayne TD of the night will be back next year...but I would have just assumed ran it in...so I'm not particularly proud of that one moment.

But why do you think we owe you anything at all? We'll play James Monroe...they were the second best team in AA last year and we're going there. It's not like we scheduled Pikeview.