Random Talk Thread

seth_hill

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Anybody watching the Dane Cook special on Comedy Central? He is by far my favorite comedian that is alive...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's your favorite dead comedian??

Mitch Hedberg would be my favorite comedian dead or alive... Dane is a close second.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Anybody watching the Dane Cook special on Comedy Central? He is by far my favorite comedian that is alive...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's your favorite dead comedian??

Mitch Hedberg would be my favorite comedian dead or alive... Dane is a close second.

[/ QUOTE ]

You nailed it right on the head! Mitch Hedberg is definitely my favorite dead comedian... I guess I like Dane more because he new stuff that keeps coming out. They both are close to the top in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm going to see Jeff Dunham in Charleston on March 30. That guy is one of the best ventriloquists I have ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I watched his special on Comedy Central the other night. He is an awesome ventriloquist...but I didnt find his material that funny. Another guy I watched the other night was Daniel Tosh, he was great...kinda reminded me of Dane Cook. I also heard a while back that Dane had been accused of stealing others material. Not sure if it was true or not...but either way his delivery is what make him so funny...I love it.

Yeah, I have heard the accusations of Dane stealing jokes too, but I still listen to him. I really like Frank Caliendo, his impersonations sound just like the person he is imitating. Demetri Martin is hilarious also...

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have heard the accusations of Dane stealing jokes too, but I still listen to him. I really like Frank Caliendo, his impersonations sound just like the person he is imitating. Demetri Martin is hilarious also...

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I could care less if he stole it all, I just love the way he tells his jokes. It really isn't so much Dane's material...it is the way he dilivers it. He could do an old Gilbert Gottfried routine and it would still be funny.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just cant see Dane stealing jokes. He's so natural with what he does and has been ever since I started listening to his stuff about 4 years ago. I think he is the funniest person alive.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just cant see Dane stealing jokes. He's so natural with what he does and has been ever since I started listening to his stuff about 4 years ago. I think he is the funniest person alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but like i said I think his originality is more of his style and maybe not his material. Im not saying the he did steal anything, but even if he did it would still seem original because of his style.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they say that Cook stole a couple jokes from Louis C.K. because their live concerts are similar. Wikipedia isn't always the most credible source, but this is what it had to say about it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dane_cook#Plagiarism

After the release of his CD/DVD Retaliation, similarities were noticed between Cook's work and material recorded on Louis C.K.'s 2001 album Live in Houston. The bits in question are Louis C.K.'s "Itchy [censored]", "Guy on a Bike", and "Naming Kids". In 2005, Dane Cook performed and released three similar routines on Retaliation. These are "Itchy [censored]", "Struck by a Vehicle," and "My Son Optimus Prime", respectively.

In 2005, on the message boards of comedy web site A Special Thing, C.K. posted a response to his fans who accused Cook of plagiarizing from him writing "Okay, this kid is stealing from me. And making lots of money. Three bits on one CD." Later, C.K. wrote "Just so you know, guys, I'm not going to do anything about this.... I'm not going to court over a bit called 'Itchy [censored].'" In an interview on the Free Beer & Hot Wings Morning Show in February 2007, C.K. stated that while the jokes are similar, the issue was "overblown" and may stem from a backlash against Cook's popularity. However, C.K. accused Cook of being "bullyish" and litigious towards comedians for having similar material to his despite Cook claiming elsewhere that comedians often have similar material and it is not a big issue to him. C.K. also stated "Too bad the guy [Cook] can't write enough." After much pressure by the hosts for a derogatory statement, C.K. ended the interview by finally adding, "[censored] Dane Cook, he's a cunt."

Comedian Joe Rogan has spoken on many occasions about Cook performing a bit on an episode of Premium Blend that Rogan had developed on I'm Gonna Be Dead Someday (sketch titled "Tigers [censored]"), and claims to have performed the routine earlier in clubs with Cook present.

Less publicized accusations of comedic plagiarism by Cook emerged in September 2006 on Saturday Night Live by Demetri Martin of Daily Show fame. Clips on YouTube show a stand up bit Cook lifted from Martin's These Are Jokes (released September 26, 2006, four days before Cook's SNL appearance), on some trouble buying shoes, where Cook goes as far as using the same incorrect shoe size (size 9) that Martin used.

Rob Sheffield criticized Dane Cook's material in a Rolling Stone article from October 2006, claiming a joke he performed was originally done by Emo Philips.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

BeverTail, your going to senior beach week this year?

You missed out last year!

[/ QUOTE ]

lets not talk about last year... lets talk about how this year im going lol