Tom Petty was amazing!!!!! (SUPERBOWL)

bluefieldRocks

I got a good english lesson for yall. This is a great oxymoron example: a rap artist. Yes, I know that some rappers aren't as bad as others, but I just do not like the music. I am a fan of metal and I know it can be very influential to children these days and that is not good. But, I do believe that it does take more musical talent to play metal than it does rap. I am a big musician, as some of you may know, and the "mainstream" rap takes so little talent that it kills me. Honestly, in my own opinion, bluegrass is the toughest form of music to perform. You have to be able to sing well and play very challenging instruments.

I just hate to see rappers make so much money, when people such as myself that play real music, get no recognition from 95% of the public.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what you may not know though..is most of the rappers write their own stuff...the beats are usually done with them and the producers working together and they put in just as much time and effort as the rest of the music community...including metal bands...and in my opinion its not that hard to just scream into the microphone like most of the heavier metal artists do...i know that it takes talent to play guitar and all...and im amazed at some of the guitarists for metal bands...but then they starting screaming and it just ruins the beauty of the guitar parts...thats not all metal..just the heavier stuff

I do not play guitar and never plan to... I am talking about us "true" musicians that play classical music. I am a percussion major at Concord University and I do not play in a band, but I play instruments that probably 80-95% of the "rich" and "well-known" musicians have never seen.

I know that most rappers write their own stuff and that has become very evident, because everytime I hear a rap "song" I hear that same beat (or a very close variation) over and over again. Also, rappers will put any word into a "song" to make it rhyme...no matter if it makes sense or not. I think many of us on this board are capable of doing that same thing.

I've never understood arguments about music. You have to take each GENRE for what it is, different. There is no way that you can say a face-melting solo by Slash is any better or worse than, say, the intro to the album "Be" by Common. But as I said earlier, I like everything. On my ipod right now I have the album 15 by Buckcherry, Future sex/Love sounds by Timberlake, 2 Tim McGraw albums, a Miles Davis album as well as albums by Guns 'n Roses, Common, and Kanye.

I've also never understand how people can argue music in absolutes. People, it's not morals or absolute right or wrong we're talking about here, it's music. Some people's tastes differ from others.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Speaking of music

Big n Rich is not country music, I dont care how much they think they are. They're not!

George Jones, Hank Jr., Charlie Pride

thats country, todays country music sucks!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hank Jr. is just like many of the new artists today such as Montgomery gentry and such, they both combine a bit of southern rock and country.

As for Big and Rich, some of their new music is country such as "lost in this Moment" and "holy water". Yes they do branch off of country music, but it is innovation, but it still has a place in country music.

But artists like Tim Mcgraw, Toby keith, Kenny chesney, Brad Paisley are keeping the country roots in the ground. sure they may dabble in some other sorts of music, but they mainly stay true to country form. And lets not forget the greats of Allen jackson and George straight are still recording... Along with new female artists such as Kellie Pickler and Taylor swift adding to the country scene.

i love country for what it is right now, even though i may hate the some of the songs like Tim Mcgraw "suspicions"

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

Country music....is dead...

They may as well think of a new word for it...because it's not country music anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say that why? Because it sounds different? Because it is marketed different? Take just about any music genre and compare the way it sounds now from the way it sounded 10 to 15 to 20 years ago. I guarantee it sounds different. Things change with time, style, fashion, music, movies....thats the way it is.

take old school rap. it sounded COMPLETELY different from what rap is today. Old school rappers featured lyrics about stuff people actually cared about and now more rappers are bragging about rims, their hoes, and how hood they are. Old school rap focused more on the lyrics, not mainly the beats that are laid down which most rappers focus on now. I love what Wayne is doing for the business. He is putting more emphasis into his lyrics with freestyling other artists' stuff, writing stuff for other people and just making songs like its nothing. In my opinion, the most down gangsta rapper out there is Lil Scrappy. Scrap has been known to put out the truth of what hood life is, what it has been, and adds his southern flare to it. Sure it is very vulgar, but I find he and Lil Wayne to be the best lyricists out there.

Rappers like Soulja Boy and Chammilionaire are ones who give good rappers the bad names. Soulja is ridiculous. I understand having comedy music is good and all but not when you take it seriously and consider yourself a legit hip hop artist. He makes up a dance, cops beats, writes terrible lyrics and the idiots who dont understand true music get him money. The kid is 17 years old and I would venture to say he gets more dough than Lupe Fiasco who can lay down rhymes and beats like its nobody's business. Chammilionaire is another rapper I cant stand. All he does is brag when he raps. Rap about something with meaning cause the real rappers that are making it big for the right reasons just laugh in their faces.

Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, Big and Rich are mostly just pop music with a little twang mixed in. If you want real country music you have to look pretty hard. Most of the time you can only find Southern Rock with a little country mix. To any country fans out there, i suggest you take a listen to Drive-By Truckers for your country fix.

[ QUOTE ]

Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, Big and Rich are mostly just pop music with a little twang mixed in. If you want real country music you have to look pretty hard. Most of the time you can only find Southern Rock with a little country mix. To any country fans out there, i suggest you take a listen to Drive-By Truckers for your country fix.

[/ QUOTE ]ima be in va beach on july 17th for kenny chesney gary allan and big n rich..pretty pumped haha

Guest JJBrickface

I got to see Brad Paisley in concert in Morgantown a few years back. He has a really good show, so you should enjoy that. I am going to see George Strait in Charleston next weekend!

[ QUOTE ]

I love the Truckers. They rock too hard to be called country. I would love to see them live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of that, the Bonnaroo lineup was just announced last night. I'm definitely headed down to Manchester TN to see Pearl Jam, Metallica, The Allman Brothers Band, Ben Folds, OAR, Willie Nelson, Pat Greene, Phil Lesh, B.B. King, Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Robert Plant & Allison Krauss, and THE TRUCKERS BABY!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I love the Truckers. They rock too hard to be called country. I would love to see them live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of that, the Bonnaroo lineup was just announced last night. I'm definitely headed down to Manchester TN to see Pearl Jam, Metallica, The Allman Brothers Band, Ben Folds, OAR, Willie Nelson, Pat Greene, Phil Lesh, B.B. King, Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Robert Plant & Allison Krauss, and THE TRUCKERS BABY!

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW. What a line up. I may have to head down there too.