SWD tourney - NEW INFO

VHSLhelper

I would say 25-30. It's no lock they will lose this one either. They are wrestling well. A dual isnt a good indication of how a team will perform in a tournament format. Wrestlebacks will be key and Grundy will need as many points from those as possible.

i still dont think they have released the brackets yet. if they announce them before the r-ridge and piedmont are finished it will put swd at a disadvantage. i agree with helper, that is only one of the three brackets they will use but its not announced which pool will use that given bracket

1st, it's been about 25 years - I'll try and dig through my stuff tomorrow and see exactly.

2nd - and this might confuse some, so follow closely - state uses 3 brackets. They don't actually rotate every year, but they are drawn to determine which bracket will be used for lower, middle, and upper weights. So it's possible the 103 matchups will be the same as last year, while the upper & middle have switched.

Now, about districts - I've assumed we'll have 3 brackets, but I'd forgotten that we have some new teams, and it's possible the vote was to use just 1 bracket this year. If I see someone who would know the answer tonight, I'll find out for sure.

[ QUOTE ]

1st, it's been about 25 years - I'll try and dig through my stuff tomorrow and see exactly.

2nd - and this might confuse some, so follow closely - state uses 3 brackets. They don't actually rotate every year, but they are drawn to determine which bracket will be used for lower, middle, and upper weights. So it's possible the 103 matchups will be the same as last year, while the upper & middle have switched.

Now, about districts - I've assumed we'll have 3 brackets, but I'd forgotten that we have a some new teams, and it's possible the vote was to use just 1 bracket this year. If I see someone who would know the answer tonight, I'll find out for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

All I know is the Region IV Handbook has three brackets in it for wrestling...one for when the SWD hosts, one for whent the PD hosts, and one for when the RRD hosts. The one I posted is for when the SWD hosts.

does it actually say hosts? Or does each bracket have a name with no explaination?

What I have is 3 brackets, each named for a district.

The one you posted is the "SWD" bracket.

------

How are they named, you might be asking? Well, the SWD bracket has the SWD champ as the defacto #1 seed, meaning his semi-final opponent will be a runner-up from another district (specifically, the Piedmont).

Briefly, the SWD bracket has our champ PROBABLY facing the RD or PD runner-up in the seims.

The PD bracket has our champ against the RR champ in the semis.

The RR bracket is prob. the worst one for us - our champ faces the RR runner-up in the 2nd round, with the winner facing the PD champ in the semis & the RR champ in the finals.

------

The "PD" bracket

PD 1 - SW 6

PD 3 - SW 3

RR 2 - PD 4

RR 5 - SW 2

RR 1 - SW 5

SW 4 - PD 2

PD 3 - RR 4

PD 5 - SW 1

-------

The "SWD" bracket

SW 1 - PD 5

SW 4 - RR 3

RR 2 - SW 5

RR 4 - PD 2

PD 1 - RR 5

PD 4 - SW 2

SW 3 - PD 3

SW 6 - RR 1

-------

The "RRD" bracket

RR 1 - SW 6

RR 4 - SW 3

PD 4 - SW 2

RR 5 - PD 2

PD 1 - SW 5

PD 3 - RR 3

RR 2 - SW 4

PD 5 - SW 1

---------

One of these brackets will be used for all weights from 103-130, another for 135-160 and the last one for 171-HWT; drawing will be done after all dist. tourneys are complete (Sunday).

(This is done so no one can try and manipulate their bracket.

For example - The top 3 HWT's in the state are from our 3 districts. If they knew that they would be using bracket "SWD" for Regionals, then Dillon would be matched up with Miller in the semis, which is the big point round, assuming they both win their district. But if Dillon wanted to face McCraw in the semis, he might decide to default his district title match.

And, yes, this has happened in the past, which is why we now have to wait.)

I had a few hours to put it together since I didn't have to cover the hoops game, so I thought I'd try to explain it all at once and save time down the road, since we have a new "design", new teams and new fans this year.