SWD tourney - NEW INFO

VHSLhelper

First, for the old-timers who were expecting it to be today, sorry - it's not.

Due to the recent SWD expansion, the tourney now needs an actual 1st round, instead of just a couple of pig-tails, so they decided it best to go on Saturday (starting at 1:00).

AND I found out a few minutes ago that the location has been CHANGED fom Riverview to the high school.

Directions - Turn right when you pop up to the traffic light. Go about 3 miles on Rt. 83. Cross the bridge after the hospital and go 200 yards. Entrance is arcoss from the flag pole.

officially, no - but there's no reason to start any earlier. First round has, what, 26 matches? With 2 mats, that won't take but about an hour & the semis will prob. start earlier than last year. And those 81 schools don't have to come up on Fri. and camp out on the hill.

[ QUOTE ]

ok,but why have it at the high school instead of riverview? w/ 7 schools represented looks like r-view would be a more likely choice

[/ QUOTE ]

they should have it down there in that hole where the Lynwood once stood...lots of room there now.

[ QUOTE ]

yeah - the hole is gone. I think it's up to street level, now.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah...the good old Lynwood...R.I.P.

...along with the old Tripple H Arcade and various skate rinks of the 80's...back when Grundy was winning state and there were actually people in town besides construction crews.

it's over. Grundy had 11 champs, a couple of runners-up & a 4th. Team score was about 310 to about 190 for Abingdon. Here's most of the results from the finals :

103 Sean VanDyke (Gru-Fr.) p. Cody Wilson (Tz), 1:24

112 Jeremy Hurley (Gru-Fr.) p. Michael Yonts (Mar), :56

119 Derek Anderson (Gru-Jr.) p. Alex Holman (Ab), :48

125 Cody Rife (Gru-Fr.) dec. Luke Allison (Tz), 7-5

130 Ethan Owens (Gru) m.d. Aaron Wilson (Ab), 13-5

135 Jonathan Dotson (Gru) m.d. Evan Simmons (Rich), 11-3

140 Brandon Hankins (Gru) p. Ethan Hodges (Rich), 2:59

145 Kaleb Smith (Gru) WBF Jeran Nichols (Ab)

152 Josh McCowan (Gru) dec. John Cox (Ab), ? 4-2 ?

160 Hunter Cox (Ab) p. Tanner McClanahan (Gru), 2:15 ish

171 Demarco Owens (Gru) p. Nick Grossclose (Mar) :29

189 Zack Mitchell (Ab) dec. Josh Lee (Gru), 9-8

215 Morgan Owens (Gru) dec. Zeb Rhodes (Mar), 7-2

285 Drew McCraw (CC) p. ??

3rd place

285 Justin Fontazier (Mar) p. Alex Edwards (Gru)

best matches - prob. the 215 semis, where the #3 & #5 seeds won, and the finals from 152 on up.

Here is how the wrestling brackets are set for this year...

SWD #1 vs.____________

PD #5

SWD #4 vs.____________

RRD #3

RRD #2 vs.____________

SWD #5

RRD #4 vs.____________

PD #2

PD #1 vs._____________

RRD #5

PD #4 vs._____________

SWD #2

SWD #3 vs.____________

PD #3

SWD #6 vs.____________

RRD #1

is that bracket "concrete" g-man? i was under the impression that there were a total of three scenarios (one of which you listed)and they were to be decided by coaches drawing after the district tourneys. r-ridge and piedmont have yet to wrestle. those scenarios are also to be drawn in a way that the there will be 3 divisions in the weight classes, ie. 103 -130 in one bracket 135 - 160 in another and the upper weights in the third bracket. i may be wrong but that is what is posted on the cavs. wrestling site.

[ QUOTE ]

is that bracket "concrete" g-man? i was under the impression that there were a total of three scenarios (one of which you listed)and they were to be decided by coaches drawing after the district tourneys. r-ridge and piedmont have yet to wrestle. those scenarios are also to be drawn in a way that the there will be 3 divisions in the weight classes, ie. 103 -130 in one bracket 135 - 160 in another and the upper weights in the third bracket. i may be wrong but that is what is posted on the cavs. wrestling site.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the one from the Region IV handbook for when the SWD hosts the tournament.