The days we live in/Julio Jones/AL witness in murder trial

trublue

ajc.com > Sports

Tide football signee Jones witness in murder trial

Associated Press

Published on: 02/20/08

Bay Minette, Ala. — Two weeks after he announced his decision to play football at Alabama on national television, star wide receiver Julio Jones found himself in a new position - that of a key prosecution witness in a capital murder trial.

Wearing a gray hoodie emblazoned with an Oklahoma Sooners' logo, Jones testified Tuesday that he witnessed the gunshot murder of a longtime acquaintance who was identified as a drug dealer. The slaying occurred in Baldwin County not far from Foley High School, where Jones became one of the nation's top football recruits.

Jones, 19, said he and his best friend, 18-year-old Lugene Gibbs, watched from across a street as Labarron McDonald, 27, fatally shot Gibbs' uncle, Marlin Lashane Phipps, 33.

Jones and Gibbs both said they heard three quick shots from a handgun. McDonald then yanked on Phipps' dreadlocks, pointed the barrel closer to his head and fired once more, they said.

At the end of Jones' testimony, prosecutor Michael Pylant asked the player whether he identified McDonald as the gunman because of pressure from his friend's family or from police.

"No, sir," Jones said. "Because I seen him."

On cross-examination, defense lawyer Pascal Bruijn asked Jones whether Gibbs was his best friend. "Is that why he's standing in the door, keeping the cameras from taking your picture?" Bruijn asked Jones.

Pylant objected, and Jones did not have to answer.

During opening statements, Bruijn said McDonald was in Milton, Fla., when the shooting happened on May 12. Bruijn called Phipps a "violent, gang-banging drug dealer" who "made enemies and beat up on people."

Gibbs, also a Foley High athletic standout, and Jones both denied smoking or drinking the day of the killing, but Gibbs said his uncle was a drug dealer.

Jones was a Parade and USA Today All-American, and ESPN carried the announcement of his college decision. Named Alabama's Mr. Football by sports writers, he had 194 career catches for 3,287 yards and 42 touchdowns. He also had three rushing touchdowns and scored twice on kick and fumble returns.

[ QUOTE ]

$5 says Jones and his friend find themselves on the wrong side of a gun after this...sn-itches are b-itches...

[/ QUOTE ]

The newer phrase is sn-itches get st-itches... it is possible too.

The Tide need him so they can finally beat Auburn again.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

$5 says Jones and his friend find themselves on the wrong side of a gun after this...sn-itches are b-itches...

[/ QUOTE ]

The newer phrase is sn-itches get st-itches... it is possible too.

The Tide need him so they can finally beat Auburn again.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Nick, I am your father..."

Tommy%20Tuberville%20telling%20Nick%20Saban%20%28You%20may%20have%20a%20NC%20Nick%20but%20I%20still%20own%20your%20ass%29.jpg

In other words...who's your daddy, Nick???

Guest JJBrickface

I hate the term snitch! There are many crimes going unsolved because this stupid ghetto life says that you can't help the cops out. I commend Jones for doing what he did. Screw all of the pieces of $hit out there who have nothing better to do than sell and use drugs.

[ QUOTE ]

I hate the term snitch! There are many crimes going unsolved because this stupid ghetto life says that you can't help the cops out. I commend Jones for doing what he did. Screw all of the pieces of $hit out there who have nothing better to do than sell and use drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This aired on Bill O'Reilly about a year ago... I know it flamed Beavertail's fire a little bit.

I agree that the people should help find justice in cases like these. But it is the scary truth that Jones is probably going to have a hit out on him now. That is just how things work in the streets.

I am split in this situation. I am loyal to my friends in any and every way possible. I will fight, argue, stand up, lie, anything for my friends. If it were my friend killing someone and I knew it was somewhat justified, I wouldnt snitch on him. Simple as that. However, if it is something that I know for a fact that my friend shouldnt have done and just overall depending on the situation, I might just help the law. My parents both being involved with legal matters(my dad a cop and my mom a paralegal), I know when something is right and something is wrong. Above all, when it comes down to my friends and defending them, I will choose them over anything.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This aired on Bill O'Reilly about a year ago... I know it flamed Beavertail's fire a little bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

your right on that one, he really annoys me in that video, as if he does nothing wrong whatsoever... and never will.

But the point of the matter is that people are witnessing killings everyday in some areas of the country and they are too scared to testify. This act "snitches get stiches" is being enforced everyday through the rap music and unfortunately hurting our legal system as well as citizens.

Anderson Cooper did a great piece on this kind of thing, way more indepth and detailed than Oreilly. It was 2 parts and Cam'ron was in it as well... I suggest people watch it if they can find it. People actually testify, (identity and names are withheld) to seeing numerous murders but not going to the police for fear of getting "stiches". Its a Sad thing.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

I am split in this situation. I am loyal to my friends in any and every way possible. I will fight, argue, stand up, lie, anything for my friends. If it were my friend killing someone and I knew it was somewhat justified, I wouldnt snitch on him. Simple as that. However, if it is something that I know for a fact that my friend shouldnt have done and just overall depending on the situation, I might just help the law. My parents both being involved with legal matters(my dad a cop and my mom a paralegal), I know when something is right and something is wrong. Above all, when it comes down to my friends and defending them, I will choose them over anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

The right thing to do is to tell the the truth 100 percent of the time. If a friend is in that situation then its better off for yourself and that person to be straight up honest. I would never risk going to jail just so a friend might get a way with something because most likely they will get caught.

thats why you are you and I am I. I stand by my friends 100%. I know times when my friends are wrong and at those points I find myself in question of what I should do. However, when it comes down to sticking with my friends and not being a snitch, I do what I can.

[ QUOTE ]

thats why you are you and I am I. I stand by my friends 100%. I know times when my friends are wrong and at those points I find myself in question of what I should do. However, when it comes down to sticking with my friends and not being a snitch, I do what I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is the problem that was originally addressed by JJBrickface. People are more worried about being "loyal" to their friends, than they are about doing the right thing morally and civically. I’m sorry, but if your friend is going to go out and kill somebody, then it is never justifiable by law, and if you know about it and don’t tell, you are just as guilty as he is. Besides, I’m not so sure they are someone that anyone should be hanging around. That’s just my opinion.

I know a guy who beat another person down with a baseball bat before and it was because he was getting jumped. Nearly killed the other kid, but he did it out of self defense as he swung an alluminum bat across the other's nogin. Did I snitch on my friend and feel he was wrong for that? no. I completely supported him in his decision, mainly because I was on my way there with a bat of my own.

I dont hardly worry about retaliation. I worry about being loyal to my friends. I know theyd stand with me in something bad, so id do the same for them.

Guest JJBrickface

There are a lot of ways to show loyalty to your friends without breaking the law.

[ QUOTE ]

I know a guy who beat another person down with a baseball bat before and it was because he was getting jumped. Nearly killed the other kid, but he did it out of self defense as he swung an alluminum bat across the other's nogin. Did I snitch on my friend and feel he was wrong for that? no. I completely supported him in his decision, mainly because I was on my way there with a bat of my own.

I dont hardly worry about retaliation. I worry about being loyal to my friends. I know theyd stand with me in something bad, so id do the same for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was just self defense then why would there even be a reason to "snitch"? The police could be called and it could be fine for you and your friend. If you are hidding nearly killing someone form the police then it is no longer self defense, but attempted murder.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry this is a little old but, If he killed somebody and was justafied to do so in your mind. Why wouldnt you tell the police that it was self-defense. Because think about it, Killing a man can only be justafied if he was trying to kill you...period..

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was just self defense then why would there even be a reason to "snitch"? The police could be called and it could be fine for you and your friend. If you are hidding nearly killing someone form the police then it is no longer self defense, but attempted murder.

[/ QUOTE ]

the reason there was a posibility to snitch was because the cops came to my school the next day wondering about what had happened. the parents of the kid who got his head whacked were wanting to press charges. my friend who did it went to the police after I had talked him into going and saying that he did it and it was out of self defense. I wasnt going anywhere close to them to say that he did it and out of self defense because 9 out of 10 times, they wouldnt believe me. I was very familar with the cops at that point of my life and I know for a fact that what I would have said about the matter wouldnt have held much credibility their way. My friend, however, did go finally and say he did it and gave his story about how he was about to get jumped and just swung wildly.

The cops were wanting someone to snitch it out, to let them know who did it, and I wasnt about to do it. Thats where it came into hand.

Have you ever watched a show on the A&E Channel called "the first 48"?

They always find out who did it, because somebody eventually gets scared that they may go to prison because they had a hand in doing so. So they always say somebody else did it. Then the guy who really did it and the guy who told the Police that guy did it always get the same sentence. It never fails..

btw: thats what I'm going to college for, is to be a forensics investigator, so that kinda stuff is right up my alley.

yeah ive watched that show. the thing is, this happened down his street where there werent any other people. the cops showed up at my school suspecting it was someone from the same school as the hurt kid that did it. they didnt know he and his group of people were about to jump my friend so they thought that someone had just attacked him.

I never got in trouble, and neither did my friend, and neither did the hurt kid or his friends for following my buddy home and attempting to jump him.

Getting back to the "snitching" thing. I think its so stupid that you would not tell on somebody if you knew, reguardless of if they were your friend or not that they had killed somebody. Thats somebodys son/daughter/husband/wife/nephew/ that they'll never get to see again because of somebodys stupidity...

Atleast you could do is turn them in and let them rot in prison, they took somebodys life and so much more than that in some cases and they deserve to be in Prison for the rest of their lives for doing so..

Killing somebody is never the right thing to do, unless it was self-defense...peroid...