Bluefield vs. Princeton

hokie07

Being a good friend of Shaun's, I dont think he would have had it any other way. Going out with a dunk on top of an extremely cocky player...I dont think Shaun could have been happier. It showed as he skipped up and down the court. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Without Shaun's competitivness and leadership, I think Bluefield will have a very hard time beating the winner of James Monroe/Pikeview. He's crucial to BHS' defense and running the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that Shaun not playing is going to hurt Bluefield... But if he keeps doing stupid things and getting techs he is only hurting his team. Like tonight his second tech gave Princeton a lot of momentum, he has to play smarter.

Officiating didn't lose the game for Bluefield. Shooting 12-19 from the foul-line as well as losing their cool in the form of two technicals lost the game for Beaver. With Brooks being ejected last night that makes twice this year that a Bluefield has been ejected from a game with Casey being ejected earlier in the season. The coaching staff must have ZERO control over the team, I mean seriously. The players need to play basketball and keep their mouths shut. I've heard it from several different people and it seems pretty evident, Bluefield lacks discipline. They've become nothing more than another Mount View on the hardwood. And from my standpoint, that's disgusting. If they survive regional play they'll get a taste of solid, fundamental, and disciplined basketball in Charleston and most likely take a thrashing from an elite team.

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, he received two technicals and was ejected. He will be suspended for 3 games. So he wont be available for the sectional game, regional game or first round of states(if we make it there).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's gotta hurt.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, he received two technicals and was ejected. He will be suspended for 3 games. So he wont be available for the sectional game, regional game or first round of states(if we make it there).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's gotta hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its only 2 games... He will be back for States. (If we make it)

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

yes I just remembered that its just a 2 game suspension. It will still hurt us though in sectionals and against Summers in regionals.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it will... More than people imagine. Here is a thought though, when is the last time that 2 players, also starters, got thrown out of 2 different games. I cant think of the last time any one got thrown out, odd that its happened twice this year...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

yes I just remembered that its just a 2 game suspension. It will still hurt us though in sectionals and against Summers in regionals.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it will... More than people imagine. Here is a thought though, when is the last time that 2 players, also starters, got thrown out of 2 different games. I cant think of the last time any one got thrown out, odd that its happened twice this year...

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Can you say lack of discipline?

Technical #2...

[ QUOTE ]

Shawn Brooks dunnked it on somebody and then ran down the court pumping up the crowed with his arms...I don't know if that deserved a Technical in my opinion..

[/ QUOTE ]

yup...the official didnt signal for a double technical though until he got to the scorers table. as he called the tech, I sat in the crowd wondering why we didnt get the ball back after Shaun(Brooks) shot his freethrows from the initial shooitng foul on Minnix. Later after the game I was informed that Shaun Brooks had received a tech along with Minnix and that was why Shaun had to sit after his second (which at that point I thought it was his first) technical. The official didnt do a good job at all of making his call known.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

but, as youve said Tail, both times have been questionable ejections. The fact is, I dont blame the players for showing emotion--it makes up for the lack there of from the coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

your right on that too... both ejections, especially the first, were done too quickly and in somewhat jest IMO. As a ref, you do tend to get caught up in the game and your decisions are effected. Both were still weak, but legitimate.

One of the most embarrassing moments last night was when Ansel Ponder stood at midcourt for 3/4ths of the full timeout in the fourth arguing with the ref. The rest of the team was in the huddle, but there was ansel at half court. that should NEVER happen.

As a coach, you dont want your players arguing with the refs, prone for another technical.

As a player you do not want to seem like you are whining, nor caring more about the calls than the game. I guarantee Ansel would have gotten more good out of the situation if he was in the huddle.

As a ref, I could never see myself arguing with a player at any level for an extended period of time, especially at the end of the games. Most refs wont even talk to the assistant coaches at that time, and they are not obligated to. It does not look professional to be sitting there conversing with a player for 45 seconds. I would have sent him to the huddle immediately.

I have to quit talking about last night, i keep remembering things that pissed me off...lol

ah I feel ya. Ansel was mad that Shaun Minnix didnt get another tech as he made a 3 to tie the game and started jumping around just like Shaun did. he had a good reason to argue, and I agree that he should have been in the huddle rather than spend the majority of time with the official, but was the coach gonna say anything? can you blame Ansel for trying to plead his case? it takes a senior captain to stand up for his team. the coach hasnt done anything all year so someone needed to.