Virginia Tech vs. New York Yankees

MavsRock

[ QUOTE ]

A lot of people from Tazewell are Mets fans now for obvious reasons

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted from:

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/mets/archives/2008/02/mets_open_with.html#more

Billy Wagner, who debuted by giving up a walk and a hit in one inning, was incensed when Michigan center fielder Kevin Cislo tried to lay down a bunt in the third inning. Luckily for Cislo, the bunt went foul. Wagner said he would have drilled the next hitter if it was fair. ``It’s hot and I’m just trying to work on some pitches, and they’re bunting like it’s the College World Series,’’ Wagner said. ``Go do that against Villanova.’’

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

A lot of people from Tazewell are Mets fans now for obvious reasons

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted from:

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/mets/archives/2008/02/mets_open_with.html#more

Billy Wagner, who debuted by giving up a walk and a hit in one inning, was incensed when Michigan center fielder Kevin Cislo tried to lay down a bunt in the third inning. Luckily for Cislo, the bunt went foul. Wagner said he would have drilled the next hitter if it was fair. ``It’s hot and I’m just trying to work on some pitches, and they’re bunting like it’s the College World Series,’’ Wagner said. ``Go do that against Villanova.’’

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty rediculous of Wagner. Why would he expect them to not try to win the game? What a cry baby.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I have noticed that a lot of people form Buchanan County are Reds fans, and then in Tazewell, Russell, Wise, and Mercer couty there are a lot of Braves fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah its pretty even in Buchanan on Reds/Braves fans and there is also alot of Yankee fans in the county...

[/ QUOTE ]

Blame it on the media. MJD carried the Reds in their hey-dey - Rose, Bench, Morgan, Perez and, as a non-Reds fan once called him, Dave Conception. Then SW VA got WTBS and the Braves picked up steam. And Yankee fans are everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the game yesterday and it was probably the best thing that has happened to Virginia Tech since last April. The Yankees carried themselves with humility, dignity and class and realized that at this point, it's more than baseball. They all interacted with the fans and made the absolute most of the situation they were in. They realized that yesterday wasn't about them, but it was about helping the Virginia Tech community, MY community grow and recover as well as it can. Yesterday changed my perception of the Yankees so much. I've always seen them as pretentious and arrogant, but I couldn't have been further from the truth. They hold themselves to a standard of humility and class, and that's great to see from a professional organization. I'm not going to say that I will pull for them over other teams, but I certainly gained respect for a team willing to come help a community heal. Thanks Yankees.

I've never be able to stand the Yankees. However, after yesterday and they way they handled themsevles I've earned a TON of respect for them. They did everything first class and whether you despise or love them you have to tip your cap to them. Personally, I'm still not a Yankees fan, but I'm no longer a Yankee hater. I might even root for them a time or two this season. It's hard not to root for a team with such classy and humble individuals...

glad to hear it went well...I've always liked the Yankees (too much history to not like them) , Red Sox (I was a Yaz fan) , Braves (Put Murphy in the Hall!) , and the Reds (The Big Red Machine!)...there are a lot of Braves fans around here because back in the day that was about the only team you could watch on TV close to every day, even if they sucked at the time...at least a kid could watch some baseball. Now with the internet and ESPN, you get a little more variety...back then it was the Braves on TBS or the Cubs on WGN...and that was it until Saturday afternoon baseball came on ABC....then you might get the Yankees or the Red Sox if you were lucky.

I hate the Yankees on the field, but what they did at Tech was awesome and very classy. Anyone know where i could get one of those Maroon and Orange Yankee hats? They were pretty sweet.

Good luck on the hats. The ones that Tech wore in the game and the Yanks used in batting practice are almost fully sold out. They only have the huge sizes like 7&7/8 or 8. An off-campus bookstore does have a maroon and orange New Era Yankees hat that is a flexfit and not flat-billed. I think it is also around $7 cheaper. They were available about 2 weeks ago when I was there last but after the game yesterday, Im sure it would be hard to find anything Yankees left in this town anymore