UNC @ DUKE (Round 2)

seth_hill

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Duke being at home will help them alot this time. I think they should go right at Ty Lawson with the ball and take advantage of his ankle still being weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

please do that... I guarantee he will still shut them down, especially paulus. If you took note of what was happening during the BC game, Lawson was guarding Rice in the second half. Rice had 34 points in the first half, including 8 threes in the first half. Second half, Ginyard and Lawson took over guarding him, and Lawson started picking up rice at halfcourt, which made Rice struggle more than ever. Lawson, even though not at full strength, is still faster than most...

when lawson was inserted into the second half, Rice had 38, but Lawson then led the team to a 32-8 run in under 12 minutes, and made Rice miss EVERY 3 point attempt in the second half, and 4-10 during the last 20 minutes.

So go ahead, try and take Lawson to the hole... If Rice cant do it now, there is no way Paulus or Smith will... especially since coach K whines about Nolan's knee being sprained.

UNC by 18.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

UNC has won the last 3 years in the 2nd game of the series... and the last 2 at duke... Duke is not the same Cameron Crazies as once before.

[ QUOTE ]

please do that... I guarantee he will still shut them down, especially paulus. If you took note of what was happening during the BC game, Lawson was guarding Rice in the second half. Rice had 34 points in the first half, including 8 threes in the first half. Second half, Ginyard and Lawson took over guarding him, and Lawson started picking up rice at halfcourt, which made Rice struggle more than ever. Lawson, even though not at full strength, is still faster than most...

[/ QUOTE ]

But this isint BC where you rely on just 1 player to carry your team like what happened on Saturday. This is Duke and anybody they have on the court at anytime can shoot on you.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But this isint BC where you rely on just 1 player to carry your team like what happened on Saturday. This is Duke and anybody they have on the court at anytime can shoot on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, but he was talking about taking it to Lawson, and as I showed, that doesnt work as shown by his defensive performance on saturday.

If dukes gameplan is to go at lawson they may need to make some adjustments.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1 person didn't win that game. Lawson helped tremendously, but Ginyard is the team's best defender and played a huge role in shutting down Rice. As far as scoring, Hansbrough had 25, Green had 18, and Wayne Ellington finished with 20 points, with just 2 of those coming in the 1st half. Carolina played as a TEAM on Saturday and it showed. It is very hard to be successful in Roy's game plan if you don't play as a team. If Saturday is a foretelling of what is come for the rest of the season, then Carolina has a great shot at not only beating Dook, but beating them handily.

This means nothing to Roy and his team, unless they can take care of Florida State tomorrow night. They are playing for an ACC regular season title and they are taking it one game at a time...

You beat us by 11 at Chapel Hill, and that was without ourtop two PGs? UNC by 13....80-67. Also Lawson will contribute 25 points. He might only score 10, but with his speed...it leads to fast breaks and the points tally up quickly!

Lawson still wont be able to move laterally with the same speed and i think that Duke needs to take advantage of that. This game will be like the last one, whoever is hitting the shots is the team that is going to win it.

[ QUOTE ]

Lawson still wont be able to move laterally with the same speed and i think that Duke needs to take advantage of that. This game will be like the last one, whoever is hitting the shots is the team that is going to win it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would put Lawson out there with not one, but two, bum ankles to guard Paulus. Lets be real here, Mr. Teabag had the game of his life in Chapel Hill.

Yes lets everyone make fun of the slow little white boy. Paulus may be slow but he plays with heart and effort and i would rather have that any day. Lawson may be fast but Duke is very athletic and plays well defensively. Honestly im more worried about the psycho down low than the speed of Lawson. Dukes lack of size and experience in the post has scared me all season. But having Zoubek back helps with the rebounding and he has been playing very well recently and had his first career double double. If Henderson can continue to play fast and physical defense in the post i believe Duke will be fine.

I too believe that Carolina has the definite advantage in the post, and I think what will make a huge difference is the fact that they can actively feed the post now. Lawson is back, albeit not full strength, but still can do so, and Quentin Thomas has the necessary experience to do the same now. He was thrown into a tough situation vs. Duke earlier this season and has really come around since then. I think tic for tac, Henderson is really the only one who is on the same level athletically as the UNC starters.

BTW, it's not that Paulus "plays with heart and effort" because we all know where that will get you (just ask Steve Wojohowski). He should put a little more heart and effort into playing the game the right way and staying on his feet instead of flopping everywhere trying to draw a charge or drawing a foul after every shot.

the thing is, everyone is making the points about having Lawson back will make them so much better. Yes, he is a great player, but not having him in the first game doesnt make I believe it was Green and Ellington combined go 2-17 from the floor. I know that those probably arent the exact numbers, but I know im somewhere close. I agree that having Lawson will make a difference, but not THAT big. If other UNC players cant hit shots and waste open opportunities, it will be the same story as what happened in Chapel Hill. Hansbrough will have another great game as Duke really doesnt have any true post player to play D on him. Zoubek is big, yes, but thats it. He's garbage and honestly I dont know how he got into a good basketball program like Duke. I look for Hansbrough to get huge numbers again, Lawson to play well, but like I said earlier, if other players cant hit shots like it was in the first game, it will be the same outcome.

Zoubek is still learning how to use his body. He was out due to injury during most of the off season and couldnt really work out much. I strongly believe that when he is a senior he will be a very good player. He is still only an inexperienced sophmore.

I pick UNC by a slim margin. UNC was down last game, without their point gaurds. I mean they were without #1, #2 and #3 point gaurds. Lawson is back and ready for the fight. Let's Go TarHeels