Summers County

BHS72

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know this has already been discussed...but i was there for the second half...and wow...one of the bald officials...was HORRIBLE!!! he would call fouls that he couldnt even see....there would be 5 or 6 players in front of him and he would call a foul the other refs wouldnt even see...he did this both ways...so at least he was somewhat consistent...and may i say....Ansel's tip slam and then block on the defensive end back to back should have given Bluefield momentum to put the game away...me and the two guys i was there with left with about 2:30 left thinking Bluefield had the game in the bag...im surprised it was that close...i will say this about the Gunnoe kid...he can shoot a pretty nice jump shot....and Ansel's tip slam over 2 of the SC players..NASTY!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Gilliard couldn't coach (still can't actually) and Havens has proven he can't coach. Regardless of what a player's basketball IQ is IT IS THE COACHES RESPONSIBILITY to teach, show, tell them what to do. When your up 15 with four to play...YOU DO NOT SHOOT THE BALL, YOU DO NOT FOUL THE OTHER TEAM, YOU RUN THE CLOCK TO END THE GAME ASAP...

HOW FRIGGIN' DIFFICULT IS THAT????

This isn't aimed at just the Bluefield coach either...his team isn't the only one that blew BIG 4th quarter leads this season...

[/ QUOTE ]

The coach can tell his players, but it's up to them to do it. The coach cannot keep them from shooting or committing stupid fouls. However, the coach can bench their behind when they do it and should have last night if such was warranted. That's why I loved coaches like Barksdale and Gaither, they didn't care who you were they'd bench you in a heartbeat if needed. I can remember each benching star players throughout the years for doing boneheaded things, such as missing a dunk on a breakaway.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Gilliard couldn't coach (still can't actually) and Havens has proven he can't coach. Regardless of what a player's basketball IQ is IT IS THE COACHES RESPONSIBILITY to teach, show, tell them what to do. When your up 15 with four to play...YOU DO NOT SHOOT THE BALL, YOU DO NOT FOUL THE OTHER TEAM, YOU RUN THE CLOCK TO END THE GAME ASAP...

HOW FRIGGIN' DIFFICULT IS THAT????

This isn't aimed at just the Bluefield coach either...his team isn't the only one that blew BIG 4th quarter leads this season...

[/ QUOTE ]

The coach can tell his players, but it's up to them to do it. The coach cannot keep them from shooting or committing stupid fouls. However, the coach can bench their behind when they do it and should have last night if such was warranted. That's why I loved coaches like Barksdale and Gaither, they didn't care who you were they'd bench you in a heartbeat if needed. I can remember each benching star players throughout the years for doing boneheaded things, such as missing a dunk on a breakaway.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a difference in telling players and instilling players. The type of situations that happened last night should have been taught from the very beginning of pratice and worked on during the season. From the looks of things Coach Havens hasn't been working on such things and if he has then the only thing I can say is what RULES says in the fact that alot of players would be riding the pine.

I want to know how Gunnoe got nominated for McDonald's all american, he had to of elected himself. IMO he wasnt even close to being on the level as Ansel.

[ QUOTE ]

I want to know how Gunnoe got nominated for McDonald's all american, he had to of elected himself. IMO he wasnt even close to being on the level as Ansel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gunnoe is an excellent basketball player. I agree that Ansel has the upper hand in athleticism and that plays a huge role, but Gunnoe is a basketball player in all facets of the game. Also, keep in mind that Gunnoe isn't blessed with nearly the weapons that Ansel has on his team and it obviously shows. Summers County is a one man show, and you could only imagine how it would be if you substituted Ansel in his position.

BTW, if John Beilein was still the coach at WVU then you might have seen Gunnoe going to Morgantown and playing at the next level. I know for a fact that Beilein talked seriously to him as a sophomore and wanted him to weigh the options of walking on to his team when it came to decide his future...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The coaches nominate players from their own team and then a panel narrows that list down for each state. Ansel was also named a WV finalist nominee for the McDonald's All-American squad. And Gunnoe is a solid player from what I know. Although, I have heard that he's quite the talker on the court and mouthy with the officials from time to time.

[ QUOTE ]

Although, I have heard that he's quite the talker on the court and mouthy with the officials from time to time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah he definitely is. Every time he thought something was a foul, he would let the refs know instead of getting back on defense. He ran his mouth constantly to the refs and I was only there for the second half.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The coaches nominate players from their own team and then a panel narrows that list down for each state. Ansel was also named a WV finalist nominee for the McDonald's All-American squad. And Gunnoe is a solid player from what I know. Although, I have heard that he's quite the talker on the court and mouthy with the officials from time to time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he finished fifth in the balloting for the best player in WV just recently. He mainly scores when he can take people to the hole, and the athleticism of bluefield limited that. Gunnoe is athletic too, but not dominantly. He may have some better dunks than brooks and ansel from what ive seen officiating his games over the summer. That being said, he does whine a lot. A whole lot.

Gunnoe can be a shooter too, if you watched him warmup, he rarely misses, he made 8-10 midrange/3s in a row a few times, but he takes a while to get his body set and has a slow release. As you could see in the game, when he rushed his shots, he was nowhere close. He has to work on that...

He may be able to hit shots in warmups, but he cant hit anything in games. His strength is backing down weaker players down low, nothing more. He airballed about 4 shots the other night and when it was strictly Ansel playing defense against him, he was shut down; a majority of Gunnoes points came with Turquan Casey and Tre Baker guarding him.

Now Tail, as for Gunnoe having better dunks than Ansel and Brooks, are you serious? C'mon now.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I kid you not... I had his game against Giles I believe and he did a reverse and brought it between his legs and threw it down... Not quite as impressive as Harold Miner when he did it, but still i was quite impressed... here is the video on youtube of harold miner so you can see what im describing, happens about 30 seconds in...