Summers County

BHS72

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Bluefield "wins", 70-68. Charleston is going to be a nightmare for the Beavers....

[/ QUOTE ]

Not for long if they play like that. That score doesn't surprise me at ll. James Monroe nearly beat Bluefield twice, and Summers beat JM pretty good late in the year.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Bluefield "wins", 70-68. Charleston is going to be a nightmare for the Beavers....

[/ QUOTE ]

Not for long if they play like that. That score doesn't surprise me at ll. James Monroe nearly beat Bluefield twice, and Summers beat JM pretty good late in the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether you compare the score or not, Bluefield was up 15 with about 4 minutes left and almost lost that game. There is absolutely no reason under the sun that there should be a chance to lose a game in that situation, and I wont even mention the 23 point melt down against Princeton the other week. Bluefield needs to learn how to manage a game quickly, and if they don't then it will be just like Bluefield_Rules said, UGLY....

Fellas, if all the starters were in place tonight, this game would have been under wraps. When you play a game this late in the season with only 3 original starters a win is a WIN!!!!!

Well.........they were definitely out of sync. It was two players vs. one out there.

Don't you think the two guys that haven't been in the lineup might be a lil rusty?

Turq didnt start and once he was in the game didnt really do anything offensively. He played some decent defense but that was it. The starters were Craig Ponder, Marcus Patterson, Tre Baker, Ansel Ponder and Jake Lilly. Tre wasnt doing anything, Marcus was a turnover machine and Jake was just taking up space. The zone was killing Bluefield in the first period as once again, Havens sat on the bench with his head in his hands as confused as ever. Once Deron Reed and Kyle Harris were subbed in, Bluefield really started kicking. Once more, this shows that both of them should be getting more time. Deron probably had 5 steals tonight which lead to easy breakaway points and Kyle played some good defense and had nice passes to compliment Craig and Deron at the other guard positions.

As stated earlier, Bluefield blew a 15 point lead with about 3 minutes to go. They started forcing shots and Summers would rebound and throw it down court for easy buckets. Ansel Ponder and Deron Reed kept Bluefield in the game...simple as that. I'd figure by now that coach Havens woud have noticed that having Deron in more has helped us a lot, but then again I am talking about coach Havens here.

what is it with this particular officiating crew??? Alot of phantom calls. Like they anticipate a call before it happens and then it doesn't, but they blow the whistle anyway. I think they like it when the crowd is screaming down theyre neck. they were a factor in Summers County getting back into the game.

some stupid fouls and poor defense in the last 3 minutes allowed for Summers County to get back in the game. I agree with you to an extent, though. Ansel at one point got smacked around by all 3 defenders of a triple team and nothing was called yet he passed the ball to Craig, the defender barely taps him and the foul was called. Officiating was sketchy tonight, but it was equally sketchy. Like I said, Bluefield's lack of defense and fouling helped Summers leap back into the game.

[ QUOTE ]

some stupid fouls and poor defense in the last 3 minutes allowed for Summers County to get back in the game. I agree with you to an extent, though. Ansel at one point got smacked around by all 3 defenders of a triple team and nothing was called yet he passed the ball to Craig, the defender barely taps him and the foul was called. Officiating was sketchy tonight, but it was equally sketchy. Like I said, Bluefield's lack of defense and fouling helped Summers leap back into the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

bluefield made poor decisions in the final minutes, but the officials were a factor.

Yes they were, but not the only factor.

I have a feeling once Bluefield gets to the tournament, and even though I hate saying this, it just might be an early exit. Once we play a well-coached team, with just even half the talent we have, we will get beat. We, in no doubt, have the talent to do well in Charleston, but the coaching is what puts this into question.

That game is why im refusing to go to charleston. We played like crap, if you let a team that only has 1 good player comeback and tie you after you have a 15 people lead, then you don't deserve to win. And if they play like that up in charleston, they are going to get their asses handed to them, mark my words...

And I have to question this, a SC player was on a breakway nobody near him, and he's going up for an easy layup and makes it late in the game, Jake lilly fouls him. Why would you do that???????? and by the way he missed his free-throw for the 3-point play but SC got the rebound and scored...3 extra points were scored when it didnt have to be so. You foul a guy on an easy layup and look what happens.

[ QUOTE ]

I have a feeling once Bluefield gets to the tournament, and even though I hate saying this, it just might be an early exit. Once we play a well-coached team, with just even half the talent we have, we will get beat. We, in no doubt, have the talent to do well in Charleston, but the coaching is what puts this into question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same story, different year...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Don't you think the two guys that haven't been in the lineup might be a lil rusty?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shaun Brooks does not get rusty...

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on now..........hs kids get rusty.

I would much rather have Gilliard than Havens. At least Gilliard knew what was good for the players and could make adjustments and get his team back into games; Havens cant do that. Seems like we will get a 4 seed, maybe a 4 so that means we'll be playing either one of those seeds we dont get. Hopefully its not Magnolia again. :/

You can blame coaching if you will folks, and it should be blamed to a degree. However, another factor is Bluefield has very few players with a good basketball I.Q. You don't jack up shot after shot with a 15-point lead in the closing minutes and no shotclock. You don't miss two free-throws with a two-point lead in the final seconds and then commit an moronic foul trying to rebound the basketball, giving the other team two free-throws to tie. Basketball is as much mental as it is physical, but there seems to be very little in the way of a mental approach by Bluefield.

Havens should, if he didn't, called a timeout and chewed butt at some point during that comeback at the end. He should have informed his players that anyone taking a bad or ill-advised shot would be replaced immediately. Things such as last night will be good enough to win against teams in the section and region, but it'll get you beaten badly in Charleston.

Gilliard couldn't coach (still can't actually) and Havens has proven he can't coach. Regardless of what a player's basketball IQ is IT IS THE COACHES RESPONSIBILITY to teach, show, tell them what to do. When your up 15 with four to play...YOU DO NOT SHOOT THE BALL, YOU DO NOT FOUL THE OTHER TEAM, YOU RUN THE CLOCK TO END THE GAME ASAP...

HOW FRIGGIN' DIFFICULT IS THAT????

This isn't aimed at just the Bluefield coach either...his team isn't the only one that blew BIG 4th quarter leads this season...

Nice comment by the Summers Co coach:

“I really thought we would be shooting right there at the end,†Payne said. “We got what we wanted, but the official on the baseline didn’t have the nerve to make a call."

...It was a good "NO CALL" IMO

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_066231154.html?keyword=topstory

[ QUOTE ]

Gilliard couldn't coach (still can't actually) and Havens has proven he can't coach. Regardless of what a player's basketball IQ is IT IS THE COACHES RESPONSIBILITY to teach, show, tell them what to do. When your up 15 with four to play...YOU DO NOT SHOOT THE BALL, YOU DO NOT FOUL THE OTHER TEAM, YOU RUN THE CLOCK TO END THE GAME ASAP...

HOW FRIGGIN' DIFFICULT IS THAT????

This isn't aimed at just the Bluefield coach either...his team isn't the only one that blew BIG 4th quarter leads this season...

[/ QUOTE ]

DING...DING...DING!!!! We have a winner!

"It is the coaches responsibility" to teach basketball IQ. Could not have been said more eloquently.