WV State Tournament Updates...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Logan beats Weir this morining... here is the recap from matronews...

Third-seed Logan used a strong second half to come from behind and defeat sixth-seeded Weir 66-46 in the first game of the 95th state tournament in Charleston. The Wildcats used a 25-0 run to end the game and claim the victory.

Trailing 31-26 at the beginning of the third quarter, Logan outscored Weir 6-2 in the first 90 seconds, cutting the lead to 33-32 and forcing a Red Riders timeout.

Logan's shooting improved and the Wildcats press began to give Weir trouble late in the third quarter. The Weir lead was cut to a single point, 46-45 and the end of the third.

Logan's Brett Sorrell opened the 4th quarter on fire, hitting two long jumpers, putting the Wildcats in the lead for the first time, 51-46 with 6:33 to play, while Weir went stone cold, failing to score in the entire 4th quarter while Logan put up 21 points.

Both teams quickly adjusted to the Civic Center surroundings scoring a combined 38 points in the opening 8 minutes of play.

Three foul shots by Weir's Shawn Burns with 5:01 left in the second built the Red Riders lead to 29-18. But Logan answered with an 8-0 run to draw close at the half.

Coach Mark Hatcher's Wildcats were lead in scoring by center Jonathon Bevins 2, and Sorrell 13 with Weir's Burns hitting for 14 in a losing effort.

The Wildcats will play the winner of Wyoming East and Grafton in Friday's semifinals.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Wyoming east has won its game, they are up 12 with 25 ticks left...

that sets up a rematch of the 2007 State championship... Logan vs. WE...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Wyoming east has won its game, they are up 12 with 25 ticks left...

that sets up a rematch of the 2007 State championship... Logan vs. WE...

[/ QUOTE ]

Beavertail, their are still games to be playedgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He means that Logan and Wyoming East are playing friday..which is a rematch of last years championship game

Wyoming East game overview

http://www.wvmetronews.com/wvstatetournament/basketball/scorecard.cfm?gameID=27

The second-seed Wyoming East Warriors had two players with 20 plus points as the Warriors beat the seventh-seed Grafton Bearcats 70-58.

Jesse Lesters offense had no problems getting started as the Wyoming East Warriors scored 29 points in the first quarter. Grafton stayed right with the Warriors in scoring ending the first quarter with down 29-21 to Wyoming East.

The scoring slowed down a bit in the second quarter as Wyoming East scored only 11 points in the quarter and took a 40-36 lead into half-time. Cory Willard and Gentry Shrewsbury combined to score 27 of 40 points for the Warriors.

In the third quarter, it looked as if Wyoming East was running away with this one as Grafton was rushing their shots and found themselves down 13 points at the end of the third quarter.

C.T. Johns hit a jumper with 4:33 left in the fourth quarter to put Grafton within 6 points. That was the closest the Bearcats would get to the lead late in the game.

In the second-half Wyoming East limited themselves to only one team foul. In the first-half the Warriors had 12 team fouls.

The leading scorers for Grafton were C.T. Johns with 16 points and 10 points by Damon Waters and Seth Elsey. The leading scorers for Wyoming East were Cory Willard with 23 points and Gentry Shrewsbury with 21.

The Warriors will play the Logan Wildcats at 9:30 AM in Fridays semifinals.

A TSP source is saying that Ravenswood's star player, Dusty Mullins, was suspended from school for 5 days and won't be able to participate in the tournament.

Excellent news for the Beavers should they advance tonight vs. Oak Hill...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

just hit a three too...

can anyone get the audio to work???

[ QUOTE ]

just hit a three too...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL... That figures. I didn't know how true the statement was, if it was true at all. I forgot to post my doubts in that post too, as I was in a hurry while posting that.

[ QUOTE ]

haha I was listening to wv radio on metrownews and it had all the interviews of the coaches..When Coach Havens had his turn he started by saying they were a very well coached team..wtf? who says that when you are the coach

[/ QUOTE ]

He was more than likely talking about Oak Hill, not his own team. Usually, they asked them questions about their opponent first...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

haha I was listening to wv radio on metrownews and it had all the interviews of the coaches..When Coach Havens had his turn he started by saying they were a very well coached team..wtf? who says that when you are the coach

[/ QUOTE ]

He was more than likely talking about Oak Hill, not his own team. Usually, they asked them questions about their opponent first...

[/ QUOTE ]

nah he was talking about ansel and shawn when he said it

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

just hit a three too...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL... That figures. I didn't know how true the statement was, if it was true at all. I forgot to post my doubts in that post too, as I was in a hurry while posting that.

[/ QUOTE ]

dusty mullins has 2 fouls, and keyser is hanging in there, down 8 at half, but cut it to 3 with a minute to go in the half... interesting game to say the least...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Ravenswood has 6 3-pointers in the first half, which is the difference in the game. If they continue hitting those they'll be tough to beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

live by the three die by the three... come on keyser!!!

Guest BEAVERTAIL

the coach from oak hill said "bluefield is smaller than usual, instead of 6'5", 6'6" guys they are 6'1 or 6'2"

Maybe im missing something, but when was the last time we had a legit 6'6" player?

[ QUOTE ]

the coach from oak hill said "bluefield is smaller than usual, instead of 6'5", 6'6" guys they are 6'1 or 6'2"

Maybe im missing something, but when was the last time we had a legit 6'6" player?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I heard that too... About the only legit 6'6" player I remember was Garrett Patterson's brother and that was closer to 10 years ago...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

A #2 vs. #7 upset last year... Could this year be the ultimate #1 vs. #8???

[/ QUOTE ]

doubtful but i'd love to see it

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't be the only one!