The crap continues to hit the fan at Princeton High...

I know this wont do any good but i will try to go over this....the situation at princeton high school is sad because of all the talk and false rumors that get started..i realize that these message boards are open to any jerk with an opinion and everyone wants to bad mouth someone.......but the problems that exist now are a small percent of the population brought on by a few people. I am at princeton high school everyday and i see black kids and white kids getting along and hanging out together and being friends.......and yes, anytime you have different races there will be times of problems....but often these problems get all blown out of proportion like this one has.....sadly we all live in the most racially charged country in the world and we are the most predjudice....and i have never understood this , because we all came from somewhere else at some point...........i think that these small time news reporters from local tv should be accountable for their reporting because they are looking for a big story and taking the word of a few and holding it to be true and reliable information.......but they are not held liable for lies and bizzare stories and untruths......but these local news hounds dont care....they want to be part of some late breaking story and they dont care about the innocent lives and friendships that are severely damaged by these reports.......predjudice acts happen everyday and will always happen....it is a sad part of life in america......every high school is going to have a fight from time to time....every high school is going to have name calling and disrespectful moments toward people who do not deserve it.......but not everyone should be blammed and be punished for the acts a very select few.......princeton high school is no different that any other high school...........so keep that in mind when the trash is thrown and all these unreliable sources are quoted and passed along.......again....i realize that everyone loves to come in here and bash people...but this situation that exists now deserves to be treated with respect and accountability ...because the accusations and stories go far beyond some trash talkin to a coach or team.......show some respect for the innocent the people who cannot control the media and the troublemakers.

[ QUOTE ]

but the problems that exist now are a small percent of the population brought on by a few people.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right... But it has obviously snowballed into something bigger. Could it be due to a lack of control?? Sure, everywhere has it's problems but those who are causing the problems are sought after and taken correct disciplinary actions are taken.

[ QUOTE ]

and yes, anytime you have different races there will be times of problems....but often these problems get all blown out of proportion like this one has.....sadly we all live in the most racially charged country in the world and we are the most predjudice....

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't ever think racism can ever be blown "blown out of proportion" and it is a serious matter. Bluefield has many more black students than Princeton does and I know that in my days of high school and knowing people who are still involved with BHS that there is rarely, if ever, a fight, discrepancy, etc. that stems from race. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say that racism is not a problem at PSHS, but it is also widely known that Princeton does have a white supremacy gang.

[ QUOTE ]

i think that these small time news reporters from local tv should be accountable for their reporting because they are looking for a big story and taking the word of a few and holding it to be true and reliable information.......but they are not held liable for lies and bizzare stories and untruths......

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many things in the United States Constitution that protect your reputation. Harming a person's (or institution, in this case) good name or reputation through the publication of false statements is known as libel and/or slander. If that is the case, then you by all means have the right to contest such statements, if they are indeed false.

[ QUOTE ]

show some respect for the innocent the people who cannot control the media and the troublemakers.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a very big issue right there. Every parent in the country wants to send their child to a place that is the safest and most enriched learning environment possible. It is the administration's job to control the students and provide the best learning environment with their students. I can assure you that the few students at Princeton High School haven't changed their ways and just decided to rebel against authority, it is a change in how problems are handled at the top. I wonder why none of this stuff happened when Todd Browning was the principal there???

ok.again...without getting into a big thing on this...because that is what i am trying not to be a part of, it only fuels the fire..........i am more concerned about innocent kids who suffer because of this junk.............you say.......it is a fact there is a white supremecy gang........there is no such thing at princeton......it does not exist..........you can call them rednecks or white trash or whatever who try to get through the day with a rebel flag belt buckle or t-shirt......but there is no such thing, there are some white kids who make remarks that are not needed and vice versa..........and as far as administration........i am sure several matters could have been handled better and i know todd and i like him.........i am sure every principal at any school would have done things different on different issues...........its all part of working with kids....but did the administration at princeton hs have any say on who gets a microphone stuck in their face or any control over a report in the telegraph or wvva.......on who was talking or who was responsible enough for telling facts.....no........i know that i spent the day watching kids be upset and talking to them and parents about how this is a situation that is not fair to the majority of the good people who go to school everyday...they dont deserve it and hopefully most people will come to realize this..

[ QUOTE ]

I know this wont do any good but i will try to go over this....the situation at princeton high school is sad because of all the talk and false rumors that get started..i realize that these message boards are open to any jerk with an opinion and everyone wants to bad mouth someone.......but the problems that exist now are a small percent of the population brought on by a few people. I am at princeton high school everyday and i see black kids and white kids getting along and hanging out together and being friends.......and yes, anytime you have different races there will be times of problems....but often these problems get all blown out of proportion like this one has.....sadly we all live in the most racially charged country in the world and we are the most predjudice....and i have never understood this , because we all came from somewhere else at some point...........i think that these small time news reporters from local tv should be accountable for their reporting because they are looking for a big story and taking the word of a few and holding it to be true and reliable information.......but they are not held liable for lies and bizzare stories and untruths......but these local news hounds dont care....they want to be part of some late breaking story and they dont care about the innocent lives and friendships that are severely damaged by these reports.......predjudice acts happen everyday and will always happen....it is a sad part of life in america......every high school is going to have a fight from time to time....every high school is going to have name calling and disrespectful moments toward people who do not deserve it.......but not everyone should be blammed and be punished for the acts a very select few.......princeton high school is no different that any other high school...........so keep that in mind when the trash is thrown and all these unreliable sources are quoted and passed along.......again....i realize that everyone loves to come in here and bash people...but this situation that exists now deserves to be treated with respect and accountability ...because the accusations and stories go far beyond some trash talkin to a coach or team.......show some respect for the innocent the people who cannot control the media and the troublemakers.

ok.again...without getting into a big thing on this...because that is what i am trying not to be a part of, it only fuels the fire..........i am more concerned about innocent kids who suffer because of this junk.............you say.......it is a fact there is a white supremecy gang........there is no such thing at princeton......it does not exist..........you can call them rednecks or white trash or whatever who try to get through the day with a rebel flag belt buckle or t-shirt......but there is no such thing, there are some white kids who make remarks that are not needed and vice versa..........and as far as administration........i am sure several matters could have been handled better and i know todd and i like him.........i am sure every principal at any school would have done things different on different issues...........its all part of working with kids....but did the administration at princeton hs have any say on who gets a microphone stuck in their face or any control over a report in the telegraph or wvva.......on who was talking or who was responsible enough for telling facts.....no........i know that i spent the day watching kids be upset and talking to them and parents about how this is a situation that is not fair to the majority of the good people who go to school everyday...they dont deserve it and hopefully most people will come to realize this..

[/ QUOTE ]

Dr. Akers??? Is that you???? Keep denying that there are problems at Princeton...when someone gets hurt, you will be the one who has to live with yourself...

dr. akers.....haha..........dr. akers wouldnt be on a sports web site......hahaha.....( now that was funny) ......but i am done .....i was hoping that previous posts would be taken seriously and at least put to rest some of the rediculous rummors that pop up that effect innocent kids.

[ QUOTE ]

dr. akers.....haha..........dr. akers wouldnt be on a sports web site......hahaha.....( now that was funny) ......but i am done .....i was hoping that this post would be taken seriously and at least put to rest some of the rediculous rummors that pop up that effect innocent kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

What needs to be taken seriously are the problems at Princeton...and the lack of effort to rectify the situation...

Here's more mud, roll with me baby...

[ QUOTE ]

http://www.wvva.com/News/index.php?ID=21727

Gun Threat, Protest, and Discussions at PSHS

Parents complaining about racism at Princeton Senior High School voiced their concerns without saying a word on Monday morning.

Across the street from the school, a group of parents held a peaceful demonstration.

The parents held signs saying, "stop racism," and "protect our kids."

There were even signs calling for a new administration.

Shortly after the protest began, students began spreading text message rumors that a White Supremacist gang member was bringing a gun to school.

Parents say over the last few months, racial tension has been high.

Several students have been disciplined for their roles in recent physical altercations.

Princeton Senior High School representatives say, so far they have not been able to prove that any of the recent fights were racially motivated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Denial is not a river in Egypt...

I watched the TV coverage last night, and would love to know who the woman in the cream colored suit was. She sure did sound like Cleopatra (Queen of Denial). Sure, racial and ethnic problems exist all over the world, but to use that as an excuse to explain away the problem is not productive.

What is productive is to take the problem on and work to make it better. It sure sounded like Mercer Co. administrators are taking the "ostrich" approach. What problem, we don't see anything here in the sand.

I would love to know who the student was on WVVA, he showed great poise and sense.

http://www.bdtonline.com/local/local_story_077201521.html

Officials vow solutions to accusations of racism

By GREG JORDAN

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

PRINCETON — Picketers protested alleged racism and harassment Monday at Princeton Senior High School as parents took their children out of class in the wake of bomb threat and gun rumors.

About half a dozen or more picketers at a time stood along the Stafford Drive sidewalk across from the school to call attention to problems they said their children had been experiencing.

The group’s representative, Sean Harris, 35, of Princeton said problems pertaining to several students had been ongoing since September 2007.

“There’s a white gang, white supremacists who call themselves the C.W.B., and they’re targeting the weaker Africian-American kids at Princeton Senior High,” said Harris. “On Thursday it was brought to my attention that one of the gang members made a racist comment to my little girl who’s at the school. On Friday she was hit on the shoulder with a blunt object and nothing’s been done about it.”

Harris said he believes only a few students were actually involved in harassment.

“The bottom line is this is a racial problem. It’s not the whole school. It’s 10 or 15 of them, and what has been a problem is becoming a disruption for all of them, and it’s not right,” he said. “If nothing is resolved today we will definitely be here tomorrow.”

Officers with the Princeton Police Department and West Virginia State Police were at PSHS as a precaution after rumors started circulating about bomb threats and threats concerning guns. Students and their parents were lined up outside the school’s central office by noon to check out for the day.

Chief W.T. Harman of the Princeton Police said that his department had not received any threats against the school, adding he had received calls from departments in other counties about shootings which never actually took place.

“There was no credible threat as far as I know,” he said. “There was no formal threat, no call. It’s just a rumor that escalated into nothing.”

Specially trained dogs with the State Police searched the building, said Assistant Superintendent Don White.

“None of these rumors have been substantiated. Dogs and crews with the West Virginia State Police were here and they found absolutely nothing,” White said.

Harris said that threats to bring guns to the school were posted on the Internet on the popular website MySpace. Word about bomb threats and gun threats spread quickly over cell phones and text messages.

Mercer County Board of Education President Greg Prudich said action will be taken if the threats’ source was found.

“One of the things we let kids know is that if it can be traced, it will be dealt with. We can’t tolerate racism, we can’t tolerate violence, we can’t tolerate bomb threats,” Prudich said. “When we discover who sent it, they’d better get an attorney.”

Approximately 184 students were left in class at the end of the school day, Prudich said. A exact number of students who were absent for other reasons such as illness was not available.

Principal Dr. Stephen Akers said the alleged incidents had not been ignored and were being investigated. Prudich, who visited PSHS Monday, agreed that the allegations were being addressed and involved only a small number of students.

“If it is about race and we know about it, there are going to be actions taken,” Prudich said.

“We’re in solution seeking mode, we’re talking to community leaders and we’re going to be taking whatever efforts we can in order to try and resolve the issues,” Prudich said. “In talking to people, the consensus is that it is not a schoolwide problem. I think we’re talking about a handful of students; 10, 12, maybe six, maybe eight.”

Solutions include guiding students in question to peer mediation and appropriate adults to resolve differences, Prudich said.

“We will try to reach a solution that benefits everyone and makes kids feel safe,” he said.

[ QUOTE ]

I watched the TV coverage last night, and would love to know who the woman in the cream colored suit was. She sure did sound like Cleopatra (Queen of Denial). Sure, racial and ethnic problems exist all over the world, but to use that as an excuse to explain away the problem is not productive.

What is productive is to take the problem on and work to make it better. It sure sounded like Mercer Co. administrators are taking the "ostrich" approach. What problem, we don't see anything here in the sand.

I would love to know who the student was on WVVA, he showed great poise and sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

For everyone to watch...

http://www.wvva.com/Video/pshs%20live.wmv

In all fairness towards what is happening at Princeton, a friend of mine talked to one of his black friends who is a student at Princeton Senior and he said that a lot of this is "black people blowing things out of proportion." I know that there are problems there at the school but I completely agree that some stuff being said (the rumors and such) are just that, rumors.

The fact is, the administration at Princeton Senior arent doing anything about it. This problem first arose towards the beginning of the school year and there is no reason for it still to be lingering. Oak Hill High School had the same problem earlier in the school year, only the problems that were arising werent rumors, but fact. However, the Oak Hill administrators and community took control over this matter in bringing in police, metal detectors in the school, and extra security overall. I remember many of the football players, mainly the black ones, were very concerned about their away game at Oak Hill because of how the problem was at its climax during that week. The Oak Hill administration stepped up to the plate and did their job and now the problem is extenguished, yet the Princeton administration hasnt done anything. Seems they'd learn their lesson and by example.

I just got the opportunity to watch that video and wow. The white woman who tries to make reasoning for this as being an adolecent problem that happens everywhere with everyone at this age and that its not a racial problem...what an idiot. I believe there are thousands upon thousands of high schools in this country that dont have racial problems.

They are going about this entirely wrong. You cannot deny a problem. Address it, approach it, and dont let it escalate into what it is now or even further into something truly terrible. Denying this will most definitely not make things any better.

I am a student at Bluefield High School. We have about equally, give or take, the same number of white and black students, also we have one of the top 3 populations of black students among high schools in the state. Yes, there are fights at school and those are the "adolecent problems that happen everywhere", but none of these are racially stirred. Everyone gets along with everyone; black, white, red, yellow, orange, purple...everyone. Now granted there are always those select few of people that have their interior racial tension but they keep it to themselves and nothing has happened. There is the possibility of it happening, I understand that, but in no way can I see it being handled any worse than the administration at PSHS are handling theirs.