09/19/08 A CHARLOTTE COUNTRY DAY SCHOOL, NC

09/26/08 H OAK HILL

10/03/08 A ROBERT C BYRD

10/11/08 H RICHLANDS, VA

10/17/08 A MT. VIEW

10/23/08 A SCOTT (LAIDLEY FIELD)

10/31/08 A JAMES MONROE

11/07/08 H SOUTH CHARLESTON

That looks like a great schedule for the Beavers. 3 AAA teams in WV, an equivalent of a AAA (around 1,700 students) in North Carolina, and a premier AA school in Virginia. They should be a very battle tested team when playoff time rolls around next season...

I wonder if the 1975 WV State AAA Championship Game at Mitchelle Stadium was the last time BHS played South Charleston. My sister was an underclassman at S.C. that year and she still swears to this day that BHS cheated! lol

I think S.C. played five of the top six teams in AAA in their first six games last season. They beat one of them and I think they lost the rest by less then a TD. Depending on how many players they have coming back, they should be very tough!

I'm very happy with this schedule. In having this difficult of a schedule and say Bluefield goes .500 or just one game above (which I truly dont see happening), the commitee will see this strength of schedule and probably give them the nod on a playoff slot, rather than to a team with a better record.

Should be a great experience this year for Bluefield football. If I remember correctly, RCB returns a lot of players from a team that went 10-0 in the regular season last year. Playing them along with every other well-rounded team will make for what I see another great year in Beaver football.

[ QUOTE ]

well you know what im getting at. There will be more points towards Bluefield's schedule with more losses rather than a team with more wins and a schedule of lesser quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if they win, they don't get style points for losing to tough competition...

The key is they still have to win games to get in the playoffs...

I hope Bluefield can make a great run in defending their AA title next season, but the players that will be called upon to fill the open holes in the roster have to learn quickly and gain as much chemistry as possible in the off season and into the regular season. This is one of the toughest schedules for Bluefield I can remember in a very long time, and depending on pre-season rankings and what all each school has returning next season it will be a challenging year for the Beavers.

This is just my personal scenario as to an idea on what would it would take Bluefield to get into the playoffs. A 6-4 record should insure a spot in the post season and I see 6 games (Graham, Richlands, Charlotte Day School, RC Byrd, James Monroe, and South Charleston) that will be very important. I see Bluefield having to win at least half of those games, pending the outcomes of the other 4, to see the light of the post season.

I'm not demeaning next year's Bluefield team, but it is obvious that they will have some very big holes to fill in their line-up. Their schedule is an extremely tough schedule for any team, much less than a team that is losing a boat load of seniors. If any team can thrive with that schedule it is Bluefield. Should be a great season for the Beavers and I'm looking forward to it!

I agree completely Hokie, a schedule like this for a team that is losing a significant amount of vital seniors is gonna be very, very tough. Four all-state players returning will help though, but as you said, filling in the voids of the likes of Shaun Brooks, Ansel Ponder and Chris and Brandon Harris on the O-line will be extremely tough. Truly, I see Robert C. Byrd as our toughest game. I believe they are returning a good amount of players from last year's playoff team so they should be a top contender in AAA. Charlotte Country Day will be another tough task as they are another AAA school that lost in the second round of their playoffs last year and return a decently recruited quarterback. If Bluefield has their role players play to their potential (Will Cole, Jake Lilly, Marcus Patterson and Cody Wassum), they should be fine. I see us going 8-2. This is a tough schedule and it would be a great acomplishment to escpae it with 2 losses.

[ QUOTE ]

I see us going 8-2. This is a tough schedule and it would be a great acomplishment to escpae it with 2 losses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it would be. Biggest thing looking at that is for them is to get a decent start. Nothing against Graham, Princeton, or Oak Hill, but those are all pretty much must win games. I've seen Bluefield start 0-2 and 1-3 and get in the playoffs, but that would be very tough to pull off.

If they do win 8 games, then Simon is a better coach than I've ever thought he is.

People said the same thing about the 2007 schedule. They said that Bluefield wouldn't, couldn't beat the likes of Richlands and William Campbell. That if Bluefield won more than more than 7 games Simon was a great coach blah, blah, blah. Well I believe that we all know how 2007 ended up. 2008 is a new season, but with the same ol' rhetoric...

Do you guys really believe R C Byrd will be your toughest game?

I can't see it or believe that.

R C Byrd runs up good records against very poor teams from that part of WV.

Then gets their butts dusted in 1st round of the AAA playoffs.

They duck playing Morgantown or University to play Liberty Harrison, Philip Barbour,Lincoln, and Lewis County.

They were the only unbeaten team in AAA 2007, but could only get the 4th seed. Losing in 1st round 52-31.

Very over rated year after year.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you guys really believe R C Byrd will be your toughest game?

I can't see it or believe that.

R C Byrd runs up good records against very poor teams from that part of WV.

Then gets their butts dusted in 1st round of the AAA playoffs.

They duck playing Morgantown or University to play Liberty Harrison, Philip Barbour,Lincoln, and Lewis County.

They were the only unbeaten team in AAA 2007, but could only get the 4th seed. Losing in 1st round 52-31.

Very over rated year after year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed, I thought the same thing when I read that post earlier but got tied up with work before I could post a reply. RCB is not the toughest game on that schedule...

I'm not sure how tough RCB will be this year, but I do know that South Charleston, Richlands, James Monroe, Graham, and I imagine that the school from Charlotte, NC should be pretty decent due considering they are close to 3 times the size of Bluefield. I'm unaware of what they have returning next season but they went 9-3 and lost 14-7 in the NCISAA Semi-finals in 2007.

I'm not measuring anything on a set number of wins that I will predict and see if Fred Simon can match that. In my opinion, an 8-2 season would be excellent for the Beavers due to the fact of what they are losing this year and the holes they will need to replace. The 2006 team had a good amount of all-state performers on the team and got bounced in the playoff quarterfinals. I would predict a 7-3, perhaps even a 6-4 record for Bluefield in the 2008 regular season. If they make the playoffs, and I believe they will, then they will be a very, very dangerous team for the mid to higher seeds to face in the first couple of rounds.

[ QUOTE ]

People said the same thing about the 2007 schedule. They said that Bluefield wouldn't, couldn't beat the likes of Richlands and William Campbell. That if Bluefield won more than more than 7 games Simon was a great coach blah, blah, blah. Well I believe that we all know how 2007 ended up. 2008 is a new season, but with the same ol' rhetoric...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've told alot of people that out of all of the Bluefield State Championship teams that I can actually remember and that is the '75 team on up to 2007 that this was the least talented of them but that Coach Simon did a great job of coaching them up and nearly all the people that I mentioned this to wholeheartedly agree.

the least talented team? The 2007 team had some pretty decent talent, just ask any one of our oponents. I would love to see all the talent these other state championship teams had if this team had the least amount. Not trying to be argumentative...just saying is all.

With all due respect to the 2007 Bluefield team, I think that the 2004 and the 1997 had more talent around them as a whole. Skill player wise, I would put Ponder and Brooks with the top dogs but as a team those 2 were virtually unstoppable. Those are the only teams that I can vividly recall being head and shoulders above the competition. This is in no way an argument because the 2007 undefeated Class AA Champions mean the same thing to me as the other 8 titles do.

[ QUOTE ]

the least talented team? The 2007 team had some pretty decent talent, just ask any one of our oponents. I would love to see all the talent these other state championship teams had if this team had the least amount. Not trying to be argumentative...just saying is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, I wasn't degrading the 2007 team they had alot of talent and probably played as good of team ball as any of the other teams, but you got to remember that six of those state titles were in AAA where the competition was better due to the fact that the population was much higher then it is now. But if it makes you feel better I get to hear it from my parents,relatives,friends,and coworkers about how none of the teams from the 70's,80's 90's and 00's could beat the teams from the 60's...LOL.