Memphis vs Kansas

blueinbama

SWD side of the bracket  

1. 1. SWD side of the bracket

I would actually consider Memphis the "underdog" in this game even though I believe they are actually the more superior team. They play in the weaker conference and there are still a lot of critics around the country who give Memphis absolutely no respect. They are playing this game tonight to prove to the country that they belong.

I saw 2 of the Final 4 teams play earlier in the season (Memphis and Carolina) and I think that Memphis may be the most athletic team as a whole I have ever seen in my life. They were a lot of fun to watch. Hopefully, the Tigers can win so it will help me try to stomach that UNC didn't get it done this year.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't see how kansas is a underdog. I think they'll win by ten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vegas has Memphis as a 2-point favorite with an O/U of 147...I like the over...

Yes Memphis is in a weaker conference but there out of conference schedule is very impressive. In my opinion Kansas wont be able to stop Derrick Rose. They had trouble with Augustine earlier in the year and we all know what Memphis did to Texas.

Self isnt a very good in game adjuster and Calapari just rolls the balls out YMCA style and lets his athletes play. With two coaches like that you have to go with the better talent and I believe Memphis will take this one.

[ QUOTE ]

Self isnt a very good in game adjuster and Calapari just rolls the balls out YMCA style and lets his athletes play. With two coaches like that you have to go with the better talent and I believe Memphis will take this one.

[/ QUOTE ] Not a very good in game adjuster? The Jayhawks won 31 games this year and lost only 3. I would say he had to do a lot of adjusting during the year to be that successful. Self is a very good defensive coach, and in championship games defense usually prevails. I could be wrong, but I think defense, free throws, and turnovers will decide this game, not fast breaks and slam dunks.

I have been saying all season that Kansas is the best team in the nation and tonight they have the oppurtunity to prove me right. I think that Brandon Rush and Mario Chalmers are two of the most underrated players in the nation. Aldrich will have to play as good against Dorsey as he did against Kevin Love for Kansas to get the win. And i think the combination of Rush and Chalmers defending Rose will limit what he will do tonight. Im going to say that Kansas wins it 77-72.

Over the years Self has NEVER been able to come close to the top 5 or 6 coaches in the college game despite having some of the most talented teams and having one of the top 5 "programs" in the country in regards to history, money, etc. Until this season, his Kansas teams have always underachieved when it came to the tournament. It took 5 elite 8's to make it to a final four. Self has shown that he is a great recruiter but his end result has been disappointing more times than not.

He may win tonight, but he should have been this close a couple more times.

On the other hand, Calapari hasnt called a play since he's been in Memphis. Recruit the athletes and let them run. When you have FED EX in your back yard to give the kids "jobs" or at least put them on the payroll to show up or not it definatly turns a high school kids head. Its worked more times than not but I feel a coaches ability is really tested when they reach the elite 8. Coaching can always make a difference but when you get to the final 8, all of them are talented so there has to be an edge somewhere.

If KU can play defense like they did against UNC....they got this one. But, I think Memphis is too athletic and quick. It will be tight. Rose has got to get on his game. First half, his boy from Chicago has got him rattled.

[ QUOTE ]

Over the years Self has NEVER been able to come close to the top 5 or 6 coaches in the college game despite having some of the most talented teams and having one of the top 5 "programs" in the country in regards to history, money, etc. Until this season, his Kansas teams have always underachieved when it came to the tournament. It took 5 elite 8's to make it to a final four. Self has shown that he is a great recruiter but his end result has been disappointing more times than not.

He may win tonight, but he should have been this close a couple more times.

On the other hand, Calapari hasnt called a play since he's been in Memphis. Recruit the athletes and let them run. When you have FED EX in your back yard to give the kids "jobs" or at least put them on the payroll to show up or not it definatly turns a high school kids head. Its worked more times than not but I feel a coaches ability is really tested when they reach the elite 8. Coaching can always make a difference but when you get to the final 8, all of them are talented so there has to be an edge somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ] How many teams would love to have 5 Elite 8's? I'll take it all day long!

Guest JJBrickface

Please someone say they also just saw Calipari going nuts on the sideline after his player got an And 1? lol It was the funniest thing I have ever seen.

I'm sure several teams would like to make 5 Elite 8's but when you are a premier program and you have arguably the best talent in the country you are expected to bring home titles or at least final fours. Elite 8's are nice but some programs expect more.