VHSL grants Grundy's appeal, denies Battle's

Beamerball

http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/sports.apx.-content-articles-TRI-2008-04-15-0011.html

VHSL grants Grundy appeal, denies John Battle's request

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 - 12:00 AM

by bucky dent

bristol herald courier

Grundy principal Leslie Horne got the good news for which she was hoping.

As for John Battle, it was a different story.

At a meeting in Charlottesville Monday, the Virginia High School League’s Redistricting & Reclassification Committee voted to uphold Grundy’s appeal to stay in the Group AA Southwest District, but denied John Battle’s appeal to return to the Hogoheegee District.

The 13-person committee granted Grundy’s appeal by an 11-1-1 vote on the grounds that the Buchanan County school has a right to "play up," meaning it can play in AA despite having Group A-sized enrollment.

With just 483 students, Grundy is the league’s smallest AA school. It had asked to move into Region D’s Lonesome Pine District, which didn’t want to take them.

Instead, the VHSL assigned it to the Black Diamond District, whose schools are all within an hour of Grundy. But Horne opposed the move.

"I’m all about kids and participation," she said. "I want opportunities to participate for kids and I feel like we have that right now. I know that if the kids are involved, they’re off the streets."

Horne said that if the VHSL had ordered her school into the BDD, the possibility existed that programs would have to be cut, since the BDD doesn’t sponsor as many sports as the SWD.

Horne credited Carroll County principal Robbie Patton, who serves on the R&R Committee, and VHSL executive director Ken Tilley for understanding Grundy’s situation.

"He understands our geographic predicament in filling out a schedule," Horne said of Tilley. "And poor Robbie, it seems like every time he goes to Charlottesville for one of these meetings, he has to deal with Grundy.

"But he does a good job for us with the R&R committee."

Horne said another factor in Grundy’s request to stay in the SWD was fan support – not just from its fans, but from those of other SWD schools, specifically Richlands, which travel to Grundy.

Rumors suggested that SWD principals told Horne at a recent meeting that if Grundy’s appeal was turned down, they would not schedule Grundy in any sport.

Horne said that wasn’t discussed.

As for John Battle, athletic director Larry Cannon holds no grudges against the Hogoheegee District or Region C, which opposed the Trojans’ proposal to return.

The R&R Committee vetoed Battle’s request by a 12-0-1 vote. George Wythe principal Richard Skeens spoke in opposition of the Trojans’ appeal.

"It kind of went pretty much as we expected," Cannon said after driving back from VHSL headquarters. "We felt like our chances were probably slim, but we were hoping things might work out for us."

Cannon said Battle’s primary reason for a move back to Region C was to play in the same district with fellow Washington County schools Holston and Patrick Henry.

The VHSL’s official reason for denying Battle’s appeal was to maintain region and district balance in Regions C and D.

"It’s a tough job for the VHSL to put schools in a way that fits everybody," Cannon said. "There’s always somebody which feels like they were put in the wrong place, but we understand their concerns.

"We’re looking forward to competing in the Clinch Mountain District and Region D. There’s a lot of good things happening in both areas."

Battle was placed into Region D and the newly-formed CMD after participating in the Hogoheegee from 1995-96 until the 2006-07 school year.

The R&R decisions are final until the 2009-10 school year’s conclusion.

Im from Grundy and I think this will be a bad move in the future. I know that the bdd does not offer any wrestling and that is Grundy main sport but we also have football, basketball, baseball, golf and etc. and i think will hurt these sports i mean Richlands and Abington and Carrol Co. has like in the 1000s of kids while just have 480 some. I just dont see how we can compete with these schools.

I thought it was funny in the articel when Mrs. Horne said "I know that if the kids are involved, they’re off the streets." haha we dont even have a street

[ QUOTE ]

I thought it was funny in the articel when Mrs. Horne said "I know that if the kids are involved, they’re off the streets." haha we dont even have a street

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same thing....lol..."What street?".

[ QUOTE ]

Carroll has around 900 students....

[/ QUOTE ]

Enrollment numbers used by the VHSL for the 2009-2011 cycle...

Carroll County 1175

Abingdon 962

Marion Senior 821

Richlands 769

Tazewell 655

Graham 510

Grundy 474

The VHSL doesn't just "make up" these numbers...

Westling had nothing to do with it.

Like Lloyd said in the paper today, dropping to A would mean competing with Gate City, Powell Valley, Va. High, Twin Valley & Rye Cove - just in the regionals. Other than wrestling, I didn't think we were likely to be Region D champs in anything anytime soon - so what's the diff???

And I don't see the SWD dropping to A now, either. I think the move to add Divs in B'ball (and maybe other sports down the road) kills that idea. And now there's actual discussions about going to a 4A or 5A set-up. So I don't see the SWD leaving AA for A.

OH - and we DO have a "Main St." again (as of Monday morning) - but who knows for how long.