#1 MLB draftee Beckham quit playing BB for a period

trublue

[ QUOTE ]

I think I saw that he got a $6.15 Mil. signing bonus for signing with the Rays. That is insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

To go with his $400/week Rookie League salary...

I read a story from the 2006 or 2005 draft where a kid from Palm Beach Gardens High School, Florida, pitcher Chris Volstad, was drafted by the Florida Marlins, got a 2-3 Mil signing bonus, and his minor league placement was ten minutes away from his house. Pretty nice setup for these guys right out of high school, eh?

It is pretty common for MLB teams to start their young draft choices at the lower levels to ease them into the professional game. The top picks usually never stay down in the rookie leagues for long it is just used as a transition phase from high school to the pro level. The Orioles' top pick came to Bluefield a few seasons ago because he was signed right out of high school. He didn't stay in Bluefield for the whole season...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

You would think that the number one pick in the draft would be put in a higher classification than rookie league

[/ QUOTE ]

Every High school kid goes to rookie league... its almost a rule...

Yes practically every high school player drafted starts in rookie league or A ball. Most of the time, college draft picks go into AA right away, but high schoolers are, I'd say, 99% of the time started out in rookie league. If you notice, most players that play in the Appy League are high school draft picks.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The Devil Rays overall #1 a few years, Josh Hamilton I believe, ago played in Princeton his first year.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is now with the Rangers and doing pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty well? He's on track to win the triple crown (Batting average, RBIs, Home Runs). Also, he's coming off of huge alcohol and drug addiction problems. Great story.

Actually, Milton Bradley, Hamilton's teamate, has better numbers. He himself has become much more calm and disciplined after struggling his entire career with anger management. However, no one is talking about Bradley; everyone focuses on Hamilton. Now I love Josh Hamilton; his recovery, his career, his season this year, everything. But the way that everyone is forgetting how Milton Bradley is performing really makes me mad.

haha I was waiting for that to come. I figure if the media starts to blow up Bradley as they've done Hamilton, it could work out two ways. He could become more popular and board games could reach an all-time high in sales. You never know.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Milton Bradley is having a great year, but it isnt anything new. The last couple of years he has always been in the top OPS standings except he is always injured. I wouldnt be surprised if he got hyped up and got hurt the next day. Bradley is a good player but his injuries limit his starpower...

[ QUOTE ]

do any of you guys go to the Princeton games on a regular basis?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would we when we have our own team in Bluefield??? Did you forget, or not know, about the Baby Birds??? Bluefield has the longest running organizational tie of any many league team with its major league affiliate...Bluefield has been a farm club for Baltimore for over 50 years...

http://bluefield.orioles.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t517

yeah...I know about the O's...I'm just wondering if anyone is a regular at the Princeton games...the O's don't have the #1 draft pick...lol. I've got a friend in FL at a site I trade some cards on that is a Rays fan and he's wanting a ball signed by this kid so just figured I would see if anyone here goes...they come to Bristol in July and I guess I could go then myself and try, but it's a long way off and he might be somewhere else by then...who knows...in the minors things can happen fast.

I've been to a couple of games up there a few years ago and wouldn't mind going back. Wanted to go to the opener, but had a fusebox problem and was trying to get someone to come down and fix the dern thing.

We missed cow bell night. Wed. is bandana night.

They don't go to Bristol until 8/14.

Got to see Beckham last night. Good size kid with room to get bigger. He walked past me wearing just casual clothes and was with a coach. He brought his glove in to to the game and was gonna change and go throw some, but wasnt gonna play yesterday. I think he starts play with Princeton this week.