SOUTHWEST PREVIEW

zack

GRUNDY GOLDEN WAVE

LAST 4 YEARS 9-2,2-8,1-9,2-8

SEVERE DOWNTURN IN GRUNDY LOW NUMBERS

CARROL COUNTY CAVS LAST YEAR 3-3 4-6

LOST TO BASSETT 41-6,WILLIAM BYRD 42-14,ABINGDON 35-14,RICHLANDS 34-6,AND MARION 27-14 thats giving up 5 touchdowns a game-wont cut it against better teams

TAZEWELL BULLDOGS last year 1-9

3 before that were 8-5,6-5,8-3

gave up tremendous ammount on defense last year-this team will get better-how much will MIKE COMPTON influence this team?some people are better players than coaches-we really dont know what to expect!

ABINGDON FALCONS LAST YEAR 7-3

have the numbers in total students but not for football

15 seniors and 13 juniors-they do return their top running back in coleman.but do they have the numbers to beat the better teams consistently,especially in division 4.still,only lost to richlands by 6,but also lost to honaker and marion-those are the games they must win to make the division 4 playoffs to snare a spot from river ridge teams.

MARION LAST YEAR 7-5 WERE IN EVERY GAME

but they lost to single a chilhowie

almost beat richlands ist time could be a surprise this year!

GRAHAM G MEN LAST 4 YEARS 5-6,9-3,7-5,6-5

graham may not have had one of their better teams but i like their scheduling bluefield and 2 tough river ridge teams which are much bigger than they are early-i think it toughened them up for the stretch run and they made the playoffs.can they overtake richlands?

richlands has good football numbers for a smaller div.3 team

and they will have more upperclassmen to choose from this year.you cannot knock success, the last 4 years they lost to salem in division 4 STATE SEMI 42-28,lost in state final against turner ashby 27-13,won state title against rockbridge 29-28 and lost to monticello in state final 36-22

the only thing that may prepare them better is either scrimmage a team other than deep southwest team or schedule out of southwest -nad that nothing against southwest teams but they are playing some single a teams but that is a small criticism for a program that is extremely successful,especially over last 4 years.

HERE IS MY GUESTIMATE OF SOUTHWEST TEAMS

BLUE TORNADOES

GMEN

SCARLETT HURRIVANE

FALCONS

CAVALIERS

BULLDOGS

GOLDEN WAVE

in 1996 salem beat grundy in a driving rainstorm in tazewell 7-0 as matt anderson scored the winning touchdown

in the state semifinal before beating kelly washington and sherando in state final at now torn down victory stadium in roanoke. kelly washington later starred at TENNESSEE at wide receiver AND NOW FOR THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

http://www.nfl.com/players/kelleywashington/profile?id=WAS400893

HOPE EVERYBODY WILL HAVE SOME FUN WITH THIS TOO EARLY TO BE SERIOUS!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

GRUNDY GOLDEN WAVE

LAST 4 YEARS 9-2,2-8,1-9,2-8

SEVERE DOWNTURN IN GRUNDY LOW NUMBERS

**Fixed Grundy's name.

CARROL COUNTY CAVS LAST YEAR 3-3 4-6

LOST TO BASSETT 41-6,WILLIAM BYRD 42-14,ABINGDON 35-14,RICHLANDS 34-6,AND MARION 27-14 thats giving up 5 touchdowns a game-wont cut it against better teams

TAZEWELL BULLDOGS last year 1-9

3 before that were 8-5,6-5,8-3

gave up tremendous ammount on defense last year-this team will get better-how much will MIKE COMPTON influence this team?some people are better players than coaches-we really dont know what to expect!

***Compton is gone!

ABINGDON FALCONS LAST YEAR 7-3

have the numbers in total students but not for football

15 seniors and 13 juniors-they do return their top running back in coleman.but do they have the numbers to beat the better teams consistently,especially in division 4.still,only lost to richlands by 6,but also lost to honaker and marion-those are the games they must win to make the division 4 playoffs to snare a spot from river ridge teams.

***Had a good team last year, but - still the Whine & Cheese crowd.

MARION LAST YEAR 7-5 WERE IN EVERY GAME

but they lost to single a chilhowie

almost beat richlands ist time could be a surprise this year!

**Better year than usual last year...do they still play 4 and watch 3? Last time I was there the entire home crowd left when the 4th Q started...and it was a close game? wtf?

GRAHAM G MEN LAST 4 YEARS 5-6,9-3,7-5,6-5

graham may not have had one of their better teams but i like their scheduling bluefield and 2 tough river ridge teams which are much bigger than they are early-i think it toughened them up for the stretch run and they made the playoffs.can they overtake richlands?

***Graham always plays tuff...question is how quick can the gel?

richlands has good football numbers for a smaller div.3 team

and they will have more upperclassmen to choose from this year.you cannot knock success, the last 4 years they lost to salem in division 4 STATE SEMI 42-28,lost in state final against turner ashby 27-13,won state title against rockbridge 29-28 and lost to monticello in state final 36-22

the only thing that may prepare them better is either scrimmage a team other than deep southwest team or schedule out of southwest -nad that nothing against southwest teams but they are playing some single a teams but that is a small criticism for a program that is extremely successful,especially over last 4 years.

***Richlands will continue to be the team to beat and although not as strong as previous years, still THE powerhouse in the SWD. If you want to be the man, you gotta beat the man...Graham did it...Richlands still went to State.

HERE IS MY GUESTIMATE OF SOUTHWEST TEAMS

BLUE TORNADOES

GMEN

SCARLETT HURRIVANE

FALCONS

CAVALIERS

BULLDOGS

GOLDEN WAVE

***I think this year is closer in the SWD than people might think.

in 1996 salem beat grundy in a driving rainstorm in tazewell 7-0 as matt anderson scored the winning touchdown

in the state semifinal before beating kelly washington and sherando in state final at now torn down victory stadium in roanoke. kelly washington later starred at TENNESSEE at wide receiver AND NOW FOR THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

http://www.nfl.com/players/kelleywashington/profile?id=WAS400893

***I remember that game like it was yesterday...what a mess.

HOPE EVERYBODY WILL HAVE SOME FUN WITH THIS TOO EARLY TO BE SERIOUS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Those "small single a schools" a point that most people miss when they talk about them is who their coaches are. Look closer my friend they are some of the better coaches you'll find in VA. Any competition with these guys can only make you better. Heck Gate City is bigger than Graham.

Richlands does a good job with their scrimages. Last year--Bassett, Martinsburg, Wayne.

This year looks like Bassett, Rockbridge, RE Lee, and George Wythe.

[ QUOTE ]

Those "small single a schools" a point that most people miss when they talk about them is who their coaches are. Look closer my friend they are some of the better coaches you'll find in VA. Any competition with these guys can only make you better. Heck Gate City is bigger than Graham.

Richlands does a good job with their scrimages. Last year--Bassett, Martinsburg, Wayne.

[/ QUOTE ]

But usually thoes scrimmages at the Grid-o-ram are prepared by someone else.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But usually thoes scrimmages at the Grid-o-ram are prepared by someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

The year before they returned to the Grid-o-rama it was Pulaski and Christensburg. I guess the best measure is how the seasons have turned out.

my point was not to critisize richlands nor southwest football nor the teams that they play because powell valley,gate city are both great programs with traditions but only to argue that there are schools in other areas with more speed and or depth.a scrimmage is a scrimmage.

I'm just a fan. I realize your opinion is geared to what can a team do to get better. I also know that there have been attempts to schedule some of the other teams you talked about with no success. Why don't you name some of these teams if you know they have a interest, you might give somebody some ideals.

Have to feel like Richlands is doing just about everything it can do to max out what talent it has. Trouble is when they or whoever from SW VA gets to thoses finials their playing teams that shouldn't be in the same division. At that point if the other team is maxing out their talent the depth factor decides, most times.

• 1 month later...

**Better year than usual last year...do they still play 4 and watch 3? Last time I was there the entire home crowd left when the 4th Q started...and it was a close game? wtf?

Well some fans do leave early, why I do not know. I myself stay from the beginning to the end no matter what! No matter what the score or what the record. Marion has many fair weather fans.

[ QUOTE ]

Well some fans do leave early, why I do not know. I myself stay from the beginning to the end no matter what! No matter what the score or what the record. Marion has many fair weather fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats just it...the thing that got me is that it was a really close game..it was a good game to watch..4th qtr rolled around and half the people left? Band parents I guess? I dunno...was strange to me.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats just it...the thing that got me is that it was a really close game..it was a good game to watch..4th qtr rolled around and half the people left? Band parents I guess? I dunno...was strange to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was like like all last year. Either peopel were heading out early or they just sat there in the stands like they were lifeless. We had a 24-0 lead at VA High at halftime. The Bearcats came back and made it a 24-21 game and our fans were just sitting there like they did not care. I was pacing back and forth on top of the bleachers with a friend of mine. I guess some people just do not get into like some of us do.

well in my own opinion i think it will go like this.

1.Graham or Richlands

2.one of the above

3.Abingdon

4.Carroll Co.

5.Marion

6.Tazewell

7.Grundy

This is how i see it going.im sure everyone else sees it going differently,this is how i see,but any team could be in any spot.good luck to all swd teams.