Hokies offense dealt another major blow....

Brandon Dillard is done for the season after rupturing his achilles tendon yesterday. Dillard was by far the brighest star in already weak and inexperienced receiving corp. The passing attack may be non-existent in Blacksburg this season, more so than in previous years.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/breaking/wb/167961

I forsee several true freshmen getting a chance to play as soon as they get to Blacksburg...don't be surprised if a local boy slated for DB gets a shot at WR in August...

Guest JJBrickface

I would imagine that a ruptured achilles hurts like hell. Hope I never have to find out.

[ QUOTE ]

I would imagine that a ruptured achilles hurts like hell. Hope I never have to find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to simulate the pain stick a 12-inch needle in the bottom of your heel and up the back of your leg along the calf.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to simulate the pain stick a 12-inch needle in the bottom of your heel and up the back of your leg along the calf.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you have torn your before? Ouch!

[ QUOTE ]

I forsee several true freshmen getting a chance to play as soon as they get to Blacksburg...don't be surprised if a local boy slated for DB gets a shot at WR in August...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a plan to me--- he can definitely get the job done for the Hokies.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a plan to me--- he can definitely get the job done for the Hokies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish him the best of luck....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, I've had an experience with the achilles. The doctor at Bowman-Gray in Winston Salem told me that the injury was more painful than any break or fracture including compounds. I've never had a break, knock on wood, but I can't imagine one being anymore painful.

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, I've had an experience with the achilles. The doctor at Bowman-Gray in Winston Salem told me that the injury was more painful than any break or fracture including compounds. I've never had a break, knock on wood, but I can't imagine one being anymore painful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering....were you taking antibiotics (Cipro) when this happened? The FDA just came out with a warning about some antibiotics causing tendon tears (black box warning).

All athletes should be extra cautious when taking these antibiotics.

http://www.wftv.com/health/16822221/detail.html

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering....were you taking antibiotics (Cipro) when this happened? The FDA just came out with a warning about some antibiotics causing tendon tears (black box warning).

All athletes should be extra cautious when taking these antibiotics.

http://www.wftv.com/health/16822221/detail.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall...

• 1 month later...

Adding another blow to that already wounded offense........

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/breaking/wb/173577

Virginia Tech receiver Zach Luckett suspended from football team

By Randy King

The biggest question mark for Virginia Tech's football team this fall has become even more difficult to answer 12 days from the Hokies' season opener against East Carolina in Charlotte, N.C.

Redshirt sophomore Zach Luckett, who had been projected to be the Hokies' starting flanker this season, has been suspended indefinitely by head coach Frank Beamer, a source told The Roanoke Times this morning.

Luckett, a 6-foot-3, 217-pound redshirt sophomore from Mays Landing, N.J., was suspended after he was charged with a DUI offense.

Luckett was one of only two wideouts in Tech's ongoing preseason camp who had a caught a pass in his college career. He had two receptions for 18 yards last season, plus caught a key two-point conversion pass in the Hokies' 40-21 romp over Florida State last Nov. 11 in Blacksburg.

Luckett caught one pass for 14 yards in Tech's second preseason scrimmage last Saturday in Lane Stadium.

The loss of Luckett means the Hokies will likely have to start a true freshman at flanker this season. Dyrell Roberts, who has impressed wide receivers coach Kevin Sherman in preseason, was listed No. 2 on the depth chart Sunday on Beamer's Web site. Roberts had three catches for 13 yards and returned a kickoff 55 yards in Saturday's scrimmage.

Another incoming recruit, Xavier Boyce, also could contend for Luckett's starting spot. The 6-3 Boyce was listed third behind Luckett and Roberts on the latest depth chart.

Luckett played in all 14 games last season, mostly on special teams. He led the team with 14 special-team tackles, including 10 on kickoff coverage.

Bassett's Brandon Dillard, who had been expected to man Tech's starting flanker spot this season, was lost for the season when he ruptured his Achilles tendon June 3 during player-organized passing drills on the practice field. Dillard, a junior, is on crutches in a rehabilitation period that's expected to last from four to six months.

Redshirt freshman Danny Coale, who suffered a rare dropped pass in Saturday's scrimmage, remains atop the depth chart at split end. Junior Ike Whitaker, a converted quarterback, is listed behind Coale. Whitaker, whose three career receptions leads Sherman's inexperienced group, was impressive in Saturday's scrimmage, catching four passes for 39 yards.

Luckett's loss also enhances the chances that Tech could play a third freshman wideout -- Jarrett Boykin, who is listed No. 3 behind Coale and Whitaker at split end -- this fall.

he's a biggest loss to the special teams. I've watched the last 2 scrimmages and the 3 freshmen wide receivers are really good. This season will kind of remind me of 2004 with Royal, Harper, Morgan, and Hyman coming in together. Roberts is a little thin, but has a ton of ability and great hands (remember he played RB in high school). Boyce and Boykins are probably the two biggest surprises, and both will see a lot of playing time. Ike Whitaker has moved into the starting role with the suspension of Luckett and he's playing very well also. Really rooting for Ike this year too...the kid has been through a lot and fought his demons to get where he is today.