Graham-Beaver Game

TonyMontana

A couple of seasons playing in a real state would bring you guys to reality. I'm not saying Bluefield hasn't had quality teams. I just think you would've found the going much more difficult on the VA side. You could kiss most of those championships goodbye. Like most everybody else on here, I could care less about Bluefield's past history and what happened back in the early 20th century. Let's talk recent history. I'd say Graham and Bluefield have played pretty evenly in the recent past. I'm not talking when Bluefield was AAA and Graham was A.

Which bluefield teams would have to surrender their titles and to what va team? The aaa merill gainer teams that were 84 - 6 - 1 under him against top competition in wv and va? The aaa '75 or '84 chamra teams? The '97, 04 or '07 aa teams? Make an argument against any of them if you're going to make a claim like that, if you even know anything about any of them.

I doubt many of the of va posters who didn't know much of anything about bluefield before swvafootball and consider them with bias at that have the faintest idea about how good some of bluefield's teams have been. example 1 of the pulaski county bluefield scores ironically posted in this argument, the 20 - 14 victory for pc in '92, was your state's aaa div 5 or 6 champion needing 8 bluefield turnovers, (2 which directly put 13 of their 20 points on the board) to defeat a quater finalist wv team, at pc to boot. A lot of biased rhetoric being written by some of the va posters.

Edited by buzzsawBeaver

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fellas, don't waste your time trying to be logical and rational with this individual. Just sit back and take it for what it's worth; pure comedy. Bluefield has the respect of the true, knowledgeable football fans around the area. Don't worry about the haters, enjoy their envy...

I'd even promised myself I wouldn't come back and argue sports on the message boards, sports are very trivial, but, it's very tempting to, especially when it's so easy.

Let's be civil and wish every team a good and safe season, seems the swd might actually have lots of competition throught to..

i agree.we can say who we thinks gonna win all week.of course bluefield fans believe beaver will win and graham fans believe the g-men will win.it doesnt matter what any of us think or believe because the better team will win friday night.good luck to all players and stay healthy.

Once again, reaching out and trying to expand the debate in a desperate attempt to strengthen your case. We're talking about Bluefield vs VA and the SWD, not Bluefield's non-SWD teams vs. SWD teams.

Actually Futbolking bring a valid point to the table with the recent Pulaski history and the state of Virginia. No one is doubting that Bluefield would do very well in Region IV, I think they would anyway. But due to the screwed up system we have to compete we play schools in the state playoffs with enrollements in the range of Pulaski's. In 01 we lost to Harrisonburg in the final, and the enrollment this school year for them is 1360. That is commonplace in Virginia. It is fair in West Virginia, you play schools your size. But more than likely you would fare the same fate as the rest of us in the state playoffs. If you don't see the validity in that then you are nuts.

I am so glad that other people on here think that futbolking is ignorant. P.S. was chilhowie beating marion an upset?

For your information, Bluefield is playing Graham this friday, not Marion. I may have a Marion avatar, but I bleed Graham's cardinal red and gold. I went to Graham High School and have supported them for 35 years. I have connections at Marion, that's why I support the school. You all can sit here and insult me or my intelligence all you want and act like I know nothing because I have a Marion Avatar. I have never claimed football greatness for Marion High School. I didn't bring up Bluefield's record against VA schools, Sources did. I merely pointed out that he was wrong about some of his so called facts and have debated him on whether or not Bluefield would be as successful on the Virginia side and apparently that makes me ignorant. It's apparent that anybody with an opposing viewpoint is just ignorant to some of the Bluefield fans on here. It was a Bluefield fan (Sources) who said disrespectful things about the football program at Marion High School. I have given Bluefield respect. I acknowledge they have a good team. I just bring the point (and it's a valid one) that they would not do as well on the Virginia side.

Which bluefield teams would have to surrender their titles and to what va team? The aaa merill gainer teams that were 84 - 6 - 1 under him against top competition in wv and va? The aaa '75 or '84 chamra teams? The '97, 04 or '07 aa teams? Make an argument against any of them if you're going to make a claim like that, if you even know anything about any of them.

I doubt many of the of va posters who didn't know much of anything about bluefield before swvafootball and consider them with bias at that have the faintest idea about how good some of bluefield's teams have been. example 1 of the pulaski county bluefield scores ironically posted in this argument, the 20 - 14 victory for pc in '92, was your state's aaa div 5 or 6 champion needing 8 bluefield turnovers, (2 which directly put 13 of their 20 points on the board) to defeat a quater finalist wv team, at pc to boot. A lot of biased rhetoric being written by some of the va posters.

All I can say is 8-1 over the last 9 games....speaks for itself.

Edited by futbolking

Guest BEAVERTAIL

There is no way to tell if Bluefield would have won more or less titles in VA.

Yes, Pulaski is 8-1 or something like that in the last nine games, i trust that is factual. But you do not know how great or down each team was at that time. In addition, that is only one team. Sometimes one team just has anothers number or matches up well with another. Its sports, and it does happen.

To recap, we will never know who would have won more titles in different location, nor how Bluefield/Pulaski matched up each year, and i doubt it would matter or change anyones minds, as Buzzsaw posted a game he remembered but didnt deter you.

The enrollment argument is overdone, it's used when your teams go down in the playoffs, ignored when they don't.

The fact is graham and richlands have had their share of victories against bigger teams in the playoffs, and the last time graham had a legit contender in '03,,,, it was gretna, a smaller school for the classification that defeated them, who themselves have done well. Graham easily rivaled the bigger harrisonburg team physically, but were simply outcoached in '01.

Sometimes you win sometimes you don't, it's not as if bluefield hasn't ever lost in the title game in wv.

As for pc bluefield, I consider the overall series record, I don't consider only the games that favor bluefield, especially considering that in the last 25 years you mention, pc has played exactly 3 bluefield teams that actually made the playoffs, with a 2 - 1 record against those, and have played without a doubt some of the worst, the '85 '86 teams, around 2 - 8 each, and the 0 - 10 '93 team. It's fair to write that the '87 team was a very good team despite not being in the playoffs, but overall, the simple fact is what pc has not done in the last 25 years is played the better bluefield teams. Not that they avoided them, the on and off 2 or 3 game series they had simply worked out that way for them. If the 2 teams were to have played consistently, particularly the '90s on, bluefield would likely have had much more success record wise.

But with all due respect, pc has had some very formidable teams and was undoubtedly 1 of the bigger challenges bluefield faced on and off, beckley was close though. Infact I really am surprised pc isn't a regular as a legit contender in aa, I thought that when they dropped down to aa from aaa they'd be in the title game often.

The enrollment argument is overdone, it's used when your teams go down in the playoffs, ignored when they don't.

The fact is graham and richlands have had their share of victories against bigger teams in the playoffs, and the last time graham had a legit contender in '03,,,, it was gretna, a smaller school for the classification that defeated them, who themselves have done well. Graham easily rivaled the bigger harrisonburg team physically, but were simply outcoached in '01.

Sometimes you win sometimes you don't, it's not as if bluefield hasn't ever lost in the title game in wv.

As for pc bluefield, I consider the overall series record, I don't consider only the games that favor bluefield, especially considering that in the last 25 years you mention, pc has played exactly 3 bluefield teams that actually made the playoffs, with a 2 - 1 record against those, and have played without a doubt some of the worst, the '85 '86 teams, around 2 - 8 each, and the 0 - 10 '93 team. It's fair to write that the '87 team was a very good team despite not being in the playoffs, but overall, the simple fact is what pc has not done in the last 25 years is played the better bluefield teams. Not that they avoided them, the on and off 2 or 3 game series they had simply worked out that way for them. If the 2 teams were to have played consistently, particularly the '90s on, bluefield would likely have had much more success record wise.

But with all due respect, pc has had some very formidable teams and was undoubtedly 1 of the bigger challenges bluefield faced on and off, beckley was close though. Infact I really am surprised pc isn't a regular as a legit contender in aa, I thought that when they dropped down to aa from aaa they'd be in the title game often.

No the enrollment is not overstated. How did Bluefield fair in AAA from about 89 on? I seem to remember a 1-9 season, and even an 0-10 season one year if I am correct. Did the talent dry up? No. Bluefield has had a great run the last 13 seasons or so, when they were playing in the correct classification. But like I said before, look who you beat in the championship games. Not one of the schools had a bigger enrollment than Bluefield. Now if they played schools the size of the ones that region IV teams have played starting in the state semis then the beavers would be playing some of the largest schools in west virginia. Those same schools the beavers were playing when they were not doing well in AAA before they dropped.

hey futbolking and cpf this is getting boring talking about beavers 9 state championships and this years team only having cole and lilly.why dont you two tell us about all of the allstate players the mighty g -men have this year.

hey futbolking and cpf this is getting boring talking about beavers 9 state championships and this years team only having cole and lilly.why dont you two tell us about all of the allstate players the mighty g -men have this year.

You can't sit at the big boy table and talk until you have at least 5 posts on this board. No go change your diaper newboy........

For your information, Bluefield is playing Graham this friday, not Marion. I may have a Marion avatar, but I bleed Graham's cardinal red and gold. I went to Graham High School and have supported them for 35 years. I have connections at Marion, that's why I support the school. You all can sit here and insult me or my intelligence all you want and act like I know nothing because I have a Marion Avatar. I have never claimed football greatness for Marion High School. I didn't bring up Bluefield's record against VA schools, Sources did. I merely pointed out that he was wrong about some of his so called facts and have debated him on whether or not Bluefield would be as successful on the Virginia side and apparently that makes me ignorant. It's apparent that anybody with an opposing viewpoint is just ignorant to some of the Bluefield fans on here. It was a Bluefield fan (Sources) who said disrespectful things about the football program at Marion High School. I have given Bluefield respect. I acknowledge they have a good team. I just bring the point (and it's a valid one) that they would not do as well on the Virginia side.

Take this how you want it....But you sound like a complete douche

No the enrollment is not overstated. How did Bluefield fair in AAA from about 89 on? I seem to remember a 1-9 season, and even an 0-10 season one year if I am correct. Did the talent dry up? No. Bluefield has had a great run the last 13 seasons or so, when they were playing in the correct classification. But like I said before, look who you beat in the championship games. Not one of the schools had a bigger enrollment than Bluefield. Now if they played schools the size of the ones that region IV teams have played starting in the state semis then the beavers would be playing some of the largest schools in west virginia. Those same schools the beavers were playing when they were not doing well in AAA before they dropped.

They were in aa size playing up from around '90 on, but it wasn't any different from the mid '80s on, they had some strong groups of players, '91 - '92, and some lesser talented groups, '89 - '90.

'92's team was tremendous, among the best in wv and at their best in my opinion they were stronger than any team in wv, but they weren't conistent and could be mistake prone.

'93 was their 0 - 10 season, actually they weren't a bad group of players, but they had 1 of the most difficult schedules bluefield's ever had, they relied basically on 1 very good rb, donnie rozzel, and he was injured for the season in week 4 and things went south on the team from there.

'94 they moved on aa. There's quite a few of their aa teams since that could compete with any aaa team in wv.

There's nothing inconsistent about the caliber of bluefield's teams overall, they have their ups and downs, more ups than downs though.

1 big thing to consider was it was the early '90s when wv went to a 16 team playoff format from an 8 team format, and bluefield's tough scheduling kept some formidable bluefield teams just below 8th and out of the playoffs before then. The 16 team playoff format has complimented bluefield's tough scheduling, the previous 8 team format was a disadvantage to it.

bluefield has also been defeated at least 4 times in wheeling and another in the semis, obviously to good teams. If it were as easy as the bigger school winning all the time as you suggest, the outcome of a lot of past games would have to change. There is a bigger size difference within the classifications in va. without a doubt, but there's enough success from smaller schools in the va classifications that it can't be used as an excuse.

I'd also like to think that if bluefield were in va. they'd play in the proper classification. In va. you have a bigger school in gate city playing in a and graham insisting on playing aa.

I'd be more smpathetic to your argument if graham played in the proper classification. Haven't I read on here more than a few times that graham plays up?

If they were in a, they'd likely had titles in '03 and certainly '01. That would make 5, only 4 less than bluefield.

I'd still simply challenge you to argue against any of bluefield's title teams.

Pulaski County has an overall edge against Bluefield...something like 10-7. (Most of those games were played when Bluefield was AAA. In recent history, PC has owned Bluefield).

And let's talk recent history here....Not when Bluefield was AAA and Graham was A. Let's compare the past 20 years or so (when enrollment numbers were closer) and see where everybody is at. I think you'll find their record around 0.500 against SWD teams.

In fact, Pulaski has won 8 of the last 9 against Bluefield...and here are the scores...

Bluefield, W.Va.

W

Bluefield, W.Va.

W

Bluefield, W.Va.

W

Bluefield, W.Va.

W

Bluefield, W.Va.

W

Bluefield, W.Va.

W

Bluefield, W.Va.

W

Bluefield, W.Va.

L

Bluefield, W.Va.

W 49

*Notice the last time Bluefield won was in 1999 on a touchdown run by Charlie Tynes with less than a minute remaining (At least I think it was Tynes...my memory of that game is a little foggy). Any more questions?

Some folks in Bluefield like to claim that Pulaski is afraid to schedule Bluefield... Why would they be afraid, with a record like this against them in recent years???

This converstation started out about BEAVER-graham game. What the hell does pulaski have to do with it. Let's stay focused on the topic at hand here people. lol

They were in aa size playing up from around '90 on, but it wasn't any different from the mid '80s on, they had some strong groups of players, '91 - '92, and some lesser talented groups, '89 - '90.

'92's team was tremendous, among the best in wv and at their best in my opinion they were stronger than any team in wv, but they weren't conistent and could be mistake prone.

'93 was their 0 - 10 season, actually they weren't a bad group of players, but they had 1 of the most difficult schedules bluefield's ever had, they relied basically on 1 very good rb, donnie rozzel, and he was injured for the season in week 4 and things went south on the team from there.

'94 they moved on aa. There's quite a few of their aa teams since that could compete with any aaa team in wv.

There's nothing inconsistent about the caliber of bluefield's teams overall, they have their ups and downs, more ups than downs though.

1 big thing to consider was it was the early '90s when wv went to a 16 team playoff format from an 8 team format, and bluefield's tough scheduling kept some formidable bluefield teams just below 8th and out of the playoffs before then. The 16 team playoff format has complimented bluefield's tough scheduling, the previous 8 team format was a disadvantage to it.

bluefield has also been defeated at least 4 times in wheeling and another in the semis, obviously to good teams. If it were as easy as the bigger school winning all the time as you suggest, the outcome of a lot of past games would have to change. There is a bigger size difference within the classifications in va. without a doubt, but there's enough success from smaller schools in the va classifications that it can't be used as an excuse.

I'd also like to think that if bluefield were in va. they'd play in the proper classification. In va. you have a bigger school in gate city playing in a and graham insisting on playing aa.

I'd be more smpathetic to your argument if graham played in the proper classification. Haven't I read on here more than a few times that graham plays up?

If they were in a, they'd likely had titles in '03 and certainly '01. That would make 5, only 4 less than bluefield.

I'd still simply challenge you to argue against any of bluefield's title teams.

OK, you asked for it.And this is nothing personal. If Bluefield was a virginia team this whole time..............

Prior to 1970 there was only one classification AAA, the championship was decided by the AP

1959 VA state Champion: Norview of Norfolk

1959 WV state champion: Bluefield

This was Gainer's first year in Bluefield, and even though he had great teams at Big Creek, in my opinion he would not have gotten the votes to win the championship.

1962 VA state champions: Graham of Bluefield

1962 WV state champions: Bluefield

Only time in history both bluefield schools won the state title in their respective states

Head to head: Bluefield won the game, but Graham did not play with their best player Don Danko (or that is what the old timers tell me), probably wouldn't have mattered anyway. Bluefield would have been state champion

1965 VA state champion: Annandale

1965 WV state champion: Bluefield

Bluefield might have gotten the nod over Annandale here

1967 VA state champion: Annandale,Douglass Freeman,Princess Anne-tie

1967 WV state champion: Bluefield

Too many good eastern teams for Bluefield to have gotten the vote on this

While I agree Gainer is the best coach in WV high school history, his record on the Virginia side is not nearly as good. He was at a bigger school and had the added bonus of intergration, and while he did win one state title, 1973 was the apex and never repeated the sucess. Is it because Virginia is a little tougher? Or a lack of drive? Who knows really but it is something to think about.

1975 VA state champions: Hampton Crabbers

1975 WV state champions: Bluefield

No way, not happening. And only a fool would argue it.

1984 VA state champions TC Williams of Alexandria

1984 WV state champions Bluefield

No-see 1975

Here is where it gets tricky......Do we classify Bluefield as AA or A? Prior to about 1990 or so classification numbers in virginia were simple

0-500 A

501-1000 AA

Greater than 1000 AAA

For arguments sake, I will class them as AA, since that is the argument.

1997 VA Div 3 Champions: Gate City

1997 AA WV Champions: Bluefield

Both played an excellent Graham team at Mitchell Stadium, Bluefield won 19-14 in a thriller, Gate City won 26-20 in 3 OT's. Then destroyed Graham in playoffs on way to first state title since 1974. Who was better? I'll call it a push. They were both great.

2004:VA Div 3 Champions: Gretna

2004: WV AA champions: Bluefield

Gretna was riding high in the middle of a 38 game winning streak powering themselves to a second straight undefeated season. They were not challenged all year except for 3 quarters against an excellent Christiansburg team. Bluefield wasn't either, except for those 46 minutes at home versus Weir. They were lucky to win the title as a miracle happened at Mitchell Stadium. Close call here, but I have to give the nod to Gretna.Gretna also defeated a Graham team much worse in 2003 than Bluefield. To boot, Graham played Bluefield without a quarterback basically as Kevin Matthews broke his arm in a scrimmage the week before they played Bluefield. He played against Gretna. The reason I add this is because basically the 2003 and 2004 squads were the same for both clubs.

2007: VA Div 3 Champions: Monticello

2007: WV AA champions: Bluefield

Only one common opponent: Richlands. Bluefield won on the last play of the game at Richlands 16-13. Monticello beat Richlands 36-22 in a game that wasn't nearly that close.

Advantage: Monticello

So in my eyes, and really it means nothing here I will put Bluefield down for 3 state titles,

and very close in 2004. So I will call it three state titles. I would like to challenge anyone who is older than the age of 35 to share your thoughts, and lets leave the beaver flamers( get money/beavertail) out of this because you really don't know anything about this.

OK, you asked for it.And this is nothing personal. If Bluefield was a virginia team this whole time..............

Prior to 1970 there was only one classification AAA, the championship was decided by the AP

1959 VA state Champion: Norview of Norfolk

1959 WV state champion: Bluefield

This was Gainer's first year in Bluefield, and even though he had great teams at Big Creek, in my opinion he would not have gotten the votes to win the championship.

1962 VA state champions: Graham of Bluefield

1962 WV state champions: Bluefield

Only time in history both bluefield schools won the state title in their respective states

Head to head: Bluefield won the game, but Graham did not play with their best player Don Danko (or that is what the old timers tell me), probably wouldn't have mattered anyway. Bluefield would have been state champion

1965 VA state champion: Annandale

1965 WV state champion: Bluefield

Bluefield might have gotten the nod over Annandale here

1967 VA state champion: Annandale,Douglass Freeman,Princess Anne-tie

1967 WV state champion: Bluefield

Too many good eastern teams for Bluefield to have gotten the vote on this

While I agree Gainer is the best coach in WV high school history, his record on the Virginia side is not nearly as good. He was at a bigger school and had the added bonus of intergration, and while he did win one state title, 1973 was the apex and never repeated the sucess. Is it because Virginia is a little tougher? Or a lack of drive? Who knows really but it is something to think about.

1975 VA state champions: Hampton Crabbers

1975 WV state champions: Bluefield

No way, not happening. And only a fool would argue it.

1984 VA state champions TC Williams of Alexandria

1984 WV state champions Bluefield

No-see 1975

Here is where it gets tricky......Do we classify Bluefield as AA or A? Prior to about 1990 or so classification numbers in virginia were simple

0-500 A

501-1000 AA

Greater than 1000 AAA

For arguments sake, I will class them as AA, since that is the argument.

1997 VA Div 3 Champions: Gate City

1997 AA WV Champions: Bluefield

Both played an excellent Graham team at Mitchell Stadium, Bluefield won 19-14 in a thriller, Gate City won 26-20 in 3 OT's. Then destroyed Graham in playoffs on way to first state title since 1974. Who was better? I'll call it a push. They were both great.

2004:VA Div 3 Champions: Gretna

2004: WV AA champions: Bluefield

Gretna was riding high in the middle of a 38 game winning streak powering themselves to a second straight undefeated season. They were not challenged all year except for 3 quarters against an excellent Christiansburg team. Bluefield wasn't either, except for those 46 minutes at home versus Weir. They were lucky to win the title as a miracle happened at Mitchell Stadium. Close call here, but I have to give the nod to Gretna.Gretna also defeated a Graham team much worse in 2003 than Bluefield. To boot, Graham played Bluefield without a quarterback basically as Kevin Matthews broke his arm in a scrimmage the week before they played Bluefield. He played against Gretna. The reason I add this is because basically the 2003 and 2004 squads were the same for both clubs.

2007: VA Div 3 Champions: Monticello

2007: WV AA champions: Bluefield

Only one common opponent: Richlands. Bluefield won on the last play of the game at Richlands 16-13. Monticello beat Richlands 36-22 in a game that wasn't nearly that close.

Advantage: Monticello

So in my eyes, and really it means nothing here I will put Bluefield down for 3 state titles,

and very close in 2004. So I will call it three state titles. I would like to challenge anyone who is older than the age of 35 to share your thoughts, and lets leave the beaver flamers( get money/beavertail) out of this because you really don't know anything about this.

So what evidence did you provide here other than your own personal opinion? None. This is and always will be pure speculation. You can sit here and argue until you turn blue in the face, but it doesn't change the fact that Bluefield has nine state titles. How many times has someone gotten on here and tried to say VA is so much better than WV? Too many to name. It's old, let it go.

So what evidence did you provide here other than your own personal opinion? None. This is and always will be pure speculation. You can sit here and argue until you turn blue in the face, but it doesn't change the fact that Bluefield has nine state titles. How many times has someone gotten on here and tried to say VA is so much better than WV? Too many to name. It's old, let it go.

OK, that is what I figured some of you would say. Doesn't suprise me at all.That is what most people would say when presented with the facts. I would be willing to bet my arm that is an opinion shared by 70 percent of the people who are from schools other than Bluefield High School.

OK, that is what I figured some of you would say. Doesn't suprise me at all.That is what most people would say when presented with the facts. I would be willing to bet my arm that is an opinion shared by 70 percent of the people who are from schools other than Bluefield High School.

Facts what facts? If we were to follow your logic and so called facts we could ASSUME that any team that beat Appy State could also beat Michigan?????????????? What color is the sky in your world?

The fact is graham and richlands have had their share of victories against bigger teams in the playoffs, and the last time graham had a legit contender in '03,,,, it was gretna, a smaller school for the classification that defeated them, who themselves have done well.

Even now with Gretna being Class A, they still have an enrollment of over 650 students, as they did in '03...150 more students than Graham. And yes, they did do well for a couple of years at the Class AA level with Vic Hall at QB and have continued to do well in Class A. But considering they are one of the larger Class A schools now, that is to be expected.

Something for all to note, Gretna, at one time, held the longest losing streak in Virginia at 44 games ('91-'96) when they were one of the smaller schools in a strong Class AA district. That record has since been broken by a Class AA-sized school that continues to play in a AAA district, Thomas Jefferson-Richmond (53 games from '98-'03).

hes got a point.and i agree with him.and i will put my 2 little pennies in here.the 1989 Graham state championship team would beat any bluefield championship team ever.AAA,AA OR AAAAAAAAAAA doesnt matter,they were that good.