Vhsl rules

Bulldogs52

What is the deal with the game jersey not being able to have stripes on them anymore?

I never realized that was a rule. Please explain to me. With all the crap they put on helmets now, I am suprised by this ruling, jerseys were never a problem. Not around here anyway.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Its been in the making for some time now, all the manufacturers know this. I think it has to be a side panel in order for it to be allowed. Im pretty sure its a new NFHS rule... correct me if im wrong though.

Well the reason I asked is because, the jersey the Bulldogs wore last year had the white stripe or green stripe depending on home or away games, that ran up the sides of the jersey. When told that Tazewell got new jersey's this year I asked why, because just last year they had got new ones... But I was told that VHSL changed the rules of the jersey's. and I ask this because I noticed from all pics from across VA that all teams have solid color jersey's with the other color being the number.... also I heard that the numbers can not have outline colors around them, for exp. Tazewell wore white jersey's with green numbers. Like I said this is what I have heard, and you can take it for what it is... Also I have noticed that a few teams have done away with a stripe on there helmets as well, Just the logo's. Maybe G-Man or Lance or one of them can fill us in on this if its true...

It is true, if you want to read and learn about the how's and why's, go to vhsl.org and surf football. In there I think there is a "rules powerpoint". It's quite a few slides, but it tells of all the rules changes for this season. Hope that helps ya out some.

Doesn't go into effect until 2010, but apparently a lot of schools are already complying.

Here's the link

http://www.nfhs.org/web/2006/01/changes_made_in_spearing_rule_uniforms_in_high_school_football.aspx

Thank you very much! And like you said a-lot of teams have switched with the ruling. Just wanted to know if there was any truth to it... Also read that any grabbing of the face mask is a 15yd penalty, it's all consider intentional face masking, about time they throw that one out the door.

"Approximately 10 years ago, the NFHS Football Rules Committee began liberalizing the jersey rule by removing basic restrictions on decorations and other limitations," Cashman said. "An unintended consequence of such liberalization has been the often-reported blending of the dark-colored home team jerseys and the light-colored visiting team jerseys, creating confusion on the part of players, officials and spectators. Beginning in 2010, that confusion should be eliminated."

Well the reason I asked is because, the jersey the Bulldogs wore last year had the white stripe or green stripe depending on home or away games, that ran up the sides of the jersey. When told that Tazewell got new jersey's this year I asked why, because just last year they had got new ones... But I was told that VHSL changed the rules of the jersey's. and I ask this because I noticed from all pics from across VA that all teams have solid color jersey's with the other color being the number.... also I heard that the numbers can not have outline colors around them, for exp. Tazewell wore white jersey's with green numbers. Like I said this is what I have heard, and you can take it for what it is... Also I have noticed that a few teams have done away with a stripe on there helmets as well, Just the logo's. Maybe G-Man or Lance or one of them can fill us in on this if its true...

I noticed Tazewell lost the helmet stripe this year. As for striping, that is the only one I have noticed thus far. And I have looked at a lot of helmets this year. The only things I have noticed are new helmet/logo designs for Carroll Co,Marion,Va High,Covington,Hidden Valley, Rockbridge,and Twin Springs.

Gate City had a blue panel on the away jerseys until this season. Their new home jerseys have a black outline around the number though. I've been going to games for over 30 years. I've NEVER been confused as far as uniforms go.

Edited by GC_Quincy