Bluefield richlands

buzzsawBeaver

No such thing as a 5-yard roughing penalty in HS football....they are all 15 yarders...

Even if the officiating was a two TD difference, as stated in the post above ("you might as well be down 14-0 when you come here.."), Bluefield still wins this game by a TD...

thought there was a 5 yard "running into" penalty? if not richlands has been screwed twice this year by such calls

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I think Gman thought you were talking about roughing the passer since Cole was involved. Gman wasnt at the game last night, unless he was hiding!

3. BillyB, since you obviously had the game winning play calling strategy last night (indicative of your posts on this thread)....I would be down at the RHS coaches' office Monday morning letting them know how they SHOULD have called it. Mance and staff seems like they've done a "fairly" decent coaching job these past few years.

4. Richlands lost last night.......but don't doubt for one minute that the Richlands coaching staff won't take that game and analyze, digest and break down what the team did wrong and be prepared for the next game. That's what a good coaching staff does. Blfd.'s coaching staff didn't hang it up after going 0-3....they kept adjusting, coaching to their players strengths and building confidence.....that's exactly what Richlands did after their poor start at the beginning of the season. Richlands will now focus on the 2 district games to play and take nothing and no team for granted.

no need for me to tell them, once they do their analyzing, digesting and breaking down they will see for themselves that you don't get into a shootout game with an offense and skill players that are better than yours, same mistake we made with monticello last year. you are exactly right, we got back into the playoff picture by playing into our strengths, but at times last night we got away from that. i'm not sure we win if sizemore carries 40 times but it would have been a much closer game.

no need for me to tell them, once they do their analyzing, digesting and breaking down they will see for themselves that you don't get into a shootout game with an offense and skill players that are better than yours, same mistake we made with monticello last year. you are exactly right, we got back into the playoff picture by playing into our strengths, but at times last night we got away from that. i'm not sure we win if sizemore carries 40 times but it would have been a much closer game.

I'm not going to get in a back and forth post w/you.....here's my last one on this thread.

It's always seems to be the case that "someone" in the stands knows EXACTLY what the coaches should have called/implemented for a winning result. If they had ONLY done this .....or if they had ONLY done that; I think you do know that crystal ball reading is not real, reading tea leaves is not real, and being close only counts in horseshoes. I think the one thing we can agree on without baseless assumptions is ....we're both Richlands supporters. Have a good day sir.

I'm not going to get in a back and forth post w/you.....here's my last one on this thread.

It's always seems to be the case that "someone" in the stands knows EXACTLY what the coaches should have called/implemented for a winning result. If they had ONLY done this .....or if they had ONLY done that; I think you do know that crystal ball reading is not real, reading tea leaves is not real, and being close only counts in horseshoes. I think the one thing we can agree on without baseless assumptions is ....we're both Richlands supporters. Have a good day sir.

fair enough, here's my last one based on what i believe to be facts ( which still only makes it my opinion) .

#1 bluefield is vulnerable to the run from tackle to tackle

#2 especially against a veteran qb like coles, a blitz is more effective if he doesn't know it's coming

No such thing as a 5-yard roughing penalty in HS football....they are all 15 yarders...

Even if the officiating was a two TD difference, as stated in the post above ("you might as well be down 14-0 when you come here.."), Bluefield still wins this game by a TD...

"Running into the kicker" is a 5 yard penalty. "Roughing the kicker" is 15 yards.

fair enough, here's my last one based on what i believe to be facts ( which still only makes it my opinion) .

#1 bluefield is vulnerable to the run from tackle to tackle

#2 especially against a veteran qb like coles, a blitz is more effective if he doesn't know it's coming

His name is Cole....no "s"....

We "got back into the playoff picture" last season by finding a running game that hadn't been there up to that point.

Taylor Sizemore carried the ball about 20 times from what I heard (haven't see any stats). He's a two-way starter so do you really want him to carry it 40 times and have him playing less than full speed on defense? If you don't give him a break off the field he'll have to take one on the field.

After the Powell Valley game many people thought Richlands was staring a 3-7 season in the face. Now, five weeks later, they have a shot at 7-3, the SWD title and the playoffs. Question the coaches all you want but they are the best in the business and this season proves it above all others.

we were never out of the playoff picture last year. finding the running game allowed us to make a run to state. yes i would have liked to have seen him run the ball 40 times. 20 times ended up being a butt whoopin. 40 may have been too, i've already said that. yes rhs coaches rank in the elite. but they they are not some form of deity. imo they have and will in the future make mistakes, they are human ...

I am not trying to start anything here other than an intelligent discussion but I think both Bluefield and Richlands have two of the best coaching staffs in the area. The proof of that assumption is fairly evident by the fact that both squads have advanced to the state finals on a very frequent basis in recent years. Now the question I am posing is simple "who has the best coaching staff?" Both obviously are very good and both squads are very talented, and I don't want to hear VA is better than WV bullcrap that we have all heard those arguments and nobody is gonna concede their position on that matter. Head to head competition is the only way to resolve that discussion and that is hard to do with as few games being played across the state lines. I also recognize that Bluefield has won the last two head to head match ups with Richlands but as a Bluefield fan I will have to tip my hat to Richlands in the fact that they were very well prepared and made some excellent adjustments, a tribute to their coaches. Our coaches also had our kids very well prepared and ready to play so just wondering what you guys think about the coaching at these fine programs. Not sure there is a right or wrong answer but I just wanted to start some serious unbiased discussion. I personally think that both schools are fortunate to have the such dedicated and hard working staffs, but just wondering outloud who you guys think has the better staff.

I am not trying to start anything here other than an intelligent discussion but I think both Bluefield and Richlands have two of the best coaching staffs in the area. The proof of that assumption is fairly evident by the fact that both squads have advanced to the state finals on a very frequent basis in recent years. Now the question I am posing is simple "who has the best coaching staff?" Both obviously are very good and both squads are very talented, and I don't want to hear VA is better than WV bullcrap that we have all heard those arguments and nobody is gonna concede their position on that matter. Head to head competition is the only way to resolve that discussion and that is hard to do with as few games being played across the state lines. I also recognize that Bluefield has won the last two head to head match ups with Richlands but as a Bluefield fan I will have to tip my hat to Richlands in the fact that they were very well prepared and made some excellent adjustments, a tribute to their coaches. Our coaches also had our kids very well prepared and ready to play so just wondering what you guys think about the coaching at these fine programs. Not sure there is a right or wrong answer but I just wanted to start some serious unbiased discussion. I personally think that both schools are fortunate to have the such dedicated and hard working staffs, but just wondering outloud who you guys think has the better staff.

I would give the edge to the Beavers coaching staff... But the Blues staff is not far behind them, I just wonder how much longer the staff at Richlands is going to be in tact.

1 thing thats making a difference for bluefield in the bigger scheme is that they're always looking to play the strongest competition possible, consider the season as 10 workouts, you lift with heavier weights you're gonna be a lot stronger as time goes by, that compliments bluefield's talent and coaching, and in my opinion is a difference maker in these types of games and in how far a team goes in the playoffs in any season. Richlands seems to play strong compeition to out of district, as does graham, and the bigger scheme shows these particular schools, as example, among some others, as the more successful progams in this area or particular region. So coaches are responsible for that aspect as well, a sign of a good coach, a strong schedule in my opinion. Not an argument about who's really the best, bluefield or richlands, they each do well for their particular talent level and style, simply an observation.

I would give the edge to the Beavers coaching staff... But the Blues staff is not far behind them, I just wonder how much longer the staff at Richlands is going to be in contact.

1 thing to consider is that coach simon has been at bluefield for going on 23 seasons, or so?, that's a lot of learning and tuning their style.

thats a tough one, with the huge variable being the team speed factor as i believe speed has changed the game. bluefield seems to always be fast and quick. richlands may have a couple quick kids, maybe not, but usually enjoys good size with good athletes. both programs seem to be able to milk the best out of what they are given and that surely means great coaching. hows that for dancing around whos the best?

I wouldn't trade the Bluefield coaching staff for another anywhere in WV or Virginia. As a whole it's amazing how well they work together and are able to squeeze the best of their talent. Fred Simon has made some excellent choices in putting together his coaching staff over the last five to six years. A true sign of how good a coaching staff is can be determined by how much a team improves from the first game until the last, and Bluefield most definitely does that each and every year.

we were never out of the playoff picture last year. finding the running game allowed us to make a run to state. yes i would have liked to have seen him run the ball 40 times. 20 times ended up being a butt whoopin. 40 may have been too, i've already said that. yes rhs coaches rank in the elite. but they they are not some form of deity. imo they have and will in the future make mistakes, they are human ...

Sorry, I saw Monticello and thought you meant "playing to our strengths" last season.

This has never been an offense that gives anyone more than 20-25 carries. Even Caleb Jennings rarely had more than that and I would guess last night was the most Sizemore has had all year. He ended up with 20 for 81 yards. Elswick was 15-25 for 126 yards passing. As a team they ran 40 times for 120 yards which comes to 3.0 yards per carry. Bottom line: We just got beat.

Something I like to do compare every now and then. Look across those coaches standing on the field and try to add up the years experience standing there. Factor in the number of playoff games they been to and talent level they are given each year. Look at all the oppents they have played because a smart coach is matching wits with ever one and gaining knowlege much like a wise chess player. The way I would compare is to think of where the staff is in terms of their life cycle. In those terms I would say Bluefield is a little older but that Richlands has some great things ahead. The beauty of programs like these is that for every year of success seed is planted back in the community of knowing just what it takes to get there. And hopefully one day when the cycle ends some of this seed will be ready to step in.

As far a Bulldog52, he is doing some wishful thinking, but in the wrong direction.

Edited by thundercloud

Sorry, I saw Monticello and thought you meant "playing to our strengths" last season.

This has never been an offense that gives anyone more than 20-25 carries. Even Caleb Jennings rarely had more than that and I would guess last night was the most Sizemore has had all year. He ended up with 20 for 81 yards. Elswick was 15-25 for 126 yards passing. As a team they ran 40 times for 120 yards which comes to 3.0 yards per carry. Bottom line: We just got beat.

thank you. exactly what i am saying. this is not a richlands of the past several years. 05 and 06 we loose the entire o line but return skill players. 07 fuller carries us on his back until we iron out the o-line and find a running back. this year we return the entire o line and loose all skill players other than elswick. so what do we do to "play to our strengths" to get back into playoff contention? we run the qb behind an expierienced line(perfect example of "playing to our strengths"). richlands is in the playoffs. coaches know that. they are "fishing" for for the personell changes that will once again take them deep into the play-offs. 1 2nd team all-district o-lineman didn't play at all due to illness, another played d-line 90% of the time(a position he has played rarely and needs more reps at in practice if they really intend him to play there down the stretch) and we still ran the ball between the tackles behind an inexpierienced junoir and sophmore. we have to have a more consistent passing game and a stronger d to go deeper into the play-offs. elswick threw the ball well when given time and the coaches are "fishing" on d-line. we need our first open date of the year, a sign of good coaching as far as scheduling goes. as we have both our open dates as we head into the play-offs to get everyone healthy. only thing that bothers me is that we basically gave up any chance of a home play-off game in the play-offs, but rhs travels well and the "away" fans are much more into the game, so no big deal. numbers and stats can be made to look how ever you want them to do you really think jennings would not have carried the ball more if it had not been blow-outs?

Edited by billyblue