That Wacky ACC

Hacker

Once again you never know what to expect with an ACC game. Tonight Miami goes to GA Tech and gets waxed. Tech ran wild on them, their starting back sat the whole second half and Nesbitt didn't play from late in the 3rd Quarter.

As a VA Tech fan, I do have a bias, but I would be tickled to see both divisions end up in some sort of insane tie; a five-way tie in the Coastal would be fine with me.

Cecil were you at the game in a NASA headgear?

VT wins out and they win the Coastal Division...

I trust your analysis because i do not keep up with ACC much, however if Miami wins out both have 3 losses in Acc would Miami not win head to Head. or is it because vt beat both NC and GT???? I'm confused.

I trust your analysis because i do not keep up with ACC much, however if Miami wins out both have 3 losses in Acc would Miami not win head to Head. or is it because vt beat both NC and GT???? I'm confused.

Nope. You're right. Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Virginia and Miami all have 3 losses. Virginia Tech holds the advantage right now because of wins over GT and UNC. Should they win out, they will finish 5-3 with wins over Duke and UVA, thus eliminating Virginia from the tie across the top. The only advantage Miami holds is over VT.

The 3 most likely scenarios:

1. Virginia Tech controls their own destiny should they win out. (beat Duke and UVA)

2. UVA also controls their own destiny should they win out. (beat (Clemson and VT)

3. UNC is Coastal division champions with both a Tech and UVA loss. (beat NC State and Duke)

Edited by hokie07

If Miami, and VT both win out, then it would be a three way tie. The first tiebreaker for a three way tie is total head-to-head for all three teams. Well, they all have one win and one lose vs. the other two teams.

>Miami: lost to GT, beat VT

>GT: beat Miami, lost to VT

>VT: Lost to Miami, beat GT

The second tiebreaker is the record of the tied teams within the division.

>Tech: 4-1

>Miami: 3-2

>GT: 2-3

So therefore VT wins the tiebreaker.

If UNC wins out, then there will be a 4 way tie, with similar results. UNC and VT would both have the same record head-to-head vs. the other 3 teams (2-1), while GT and Miami would have the same record (1-2). After a 3+ way tie is reduced to two teams then it goes back to head-to-head, where Tech has the edge with a 20-17 win over UNC. Again, VT wins the tiebreaker

Edited by BigBlueAlum

If Miami, and VT both win out, then it would be a three way tie. The first tiebreaker for a three way tie is total head-to-head for all three teams. Well, they all have one win and one lose vs. the other two teams.

>Miami: lost to GT, beat VT

>GT: beat Miami, lost to VT

>VT: Lost to Miami, beat GT

The second tiebreaker is the record of the tied teams within the division.

>Tech: 4-1

>Miami: 3-2

>GT: 2-3

So therefore VT wins the tiebreaker.

If UNC wins out, then there will be a 4 way tie, with similar results. UNC and VT would both have the same record head-to-head vs. the other 3 teams (2-1), while GT and Miami would have the same record (1-2). The next step would again be the division records where VT would win with its 4-1 record in the division compared to UNC's 3-2 record. Again, VT wins the tiebreaker

Good work, BigBlue. I was misinformed. That's what I get for not doing my homework...

Another interesting note...their will be 9 teams that are bowl eligible in the ACC. Also, if NC state and Duke win out, and UVA loses to Clemson and beats VT, then all 12 teams would be bowl eligible. That would be crazy.

Good work, BigBlue. I was misinformed. That's what I get for not doing my homework...

The only thing that you said that may be wrong is about UVA. Here is what I can gather.

If UVA beats VT then they will be in a three way tie with GT, and Miami. Again the the first tie breaker is the overall head-to-head record. Which would be the same as before, where they all have a 1-1 record vs. the other two teams. The next tie breaker, division record, would leave Miami and UVA tied with a 3-2 divisional record. After the three way tie is reduced to a two way tie then it goes back to head-to-head record, in which Miami would beat UVA (with a 24-17 OT lose).

So in order for UVA to have a chance they must win out, and they need Miami to lose to NC state.

Edited by BigBlueAlum

Clemson has to win two games because they played two championship subdivision team (D1-AA) and only one win against a D1-AA can count towards bowl eligibility so they have to beat uva and south carolina

Clemson has to win two games because they played two championship subdivision team (D1-AA) and only one win against a D1-AA can count towards bowl eligibility so they have to beat uva and south carolina

Ahh. Didn't realize that.

Nope. You're right. Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Virginia and Miami all have 3 losses. Virginia Tech holds the advantage right now because of wins over GT and UNC. Should they win out, they will finish 5-3 with wins over Duke and UVA, thus eliminating Virginia from the tie across the top. The only advantage Miami holds is over VT.

The 3 most likely scenarios:

1. Virginia Tech controls their own destiny should they win out. (beat Duke and UVA)

2. UVA also controls their own destiny should they win out. (beat (Clemson and VT)

3. UNC is Coastal division champions with both a Tech and UVA loss. (beat NC State and Duke)

This is accurate, with one exception. Here's a chart that puts this into pictograph form. Enjoy!

http://www.thesabre.com/message_board/football/fp_331.php

The only thing that you said that may be wrong is about UVA. Here is what I can gather.

If UVA beats VT then they will be in a three way tie with GT, and Miami. Again the the first tie breaker is the overall head-to-head record. Which would be the same as before, where they all have a 1-1 record vs. the other two teams. The next tie breaker, division record, would leave Miami and UVA tied with a 3-2 divisional record. After the three way tie is reduced to a two way tie then it goes back to head-to-head record, in which Miami would beat UVA (with a 24-17 OT lose).

So in order for UVA to have a chance they must win out, and they need Miami to lose to NC state.

One little thing.

UVA can win out (highly unlikely) and needs UNC to win out (pretty likely), and UVA will be assured regardless of the Miami/NCSU result. With a UNC loss, then UVA needs the Miami loss to NCSU and help.

See the chart in my previous post, too.

Edited by UVAObserver

Well, what happens now, I wonder?

GT, MIA, VT all should end up at 5-3 in the conference. Miami will show up and beat NCSU this week, I can't see them playing THAT poorly for two weeks in a row. UVA doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell in beating VT in Blacksburg Saturday. This scenario leaves 3 teams at 5-3, all 1-1 against the other two.

Well, what happens now, I wonder?

GT, MIA, VT all should end up at 5-3 in the conference. Miami will show up and beat NCSU this week, I can't see them playing THAT poorly for two weeks in a row. UVA doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell in beating VT in Blacksburg Saturday. This scenario leaves 3 teams at 5-3, all 1-1 against the other two.

If Tech wins...they are in.

Since they all have the same head-to-head record, it goes to record within the division. Tech is 4-1 in the Coastal Division with a win over UVA, Miami is 3-2, and GT is 2-3...leaving VT as the Coastal Division Champs.

If Tech wins...they are in.

Since they all have the same head-to-head record, it goes to record within the division. Tech is 4-1 in the Coastal Division with a win over UVA, Miami is 3-2, and GT is 2-3...leaving VT as the Coastal Division Champs.

Book your plane tickets and hotel reservations...

I think I better wait and see what happens next week. Anything can happen with this offense.

The thing is, you don't need your offense to win. One defensive TD, and UVA's offense is toast. When Verica throws half his passes at opposing defenders, it's a ticking time bomb. Not only this, I could gameplan better than Mike Groh. I'm as serious as a heart attack when I say it. Someone either has to be on medication or just incredibly stupid to call shotgun formations on 4th-and-1 and call pulling sweeps on 4th-and-3.

VT doesn't lose games like this. Not in their house with their season on the line. It's a mortal, ironclad lock. I'd take VT and any point spread in the single-digits this week. There is a 0.0% chance UVA wins this game. And it's not self-pity, it's just the stone cold truth.

The thing is, you don't need your offense to win. One defensive TD, and UVA's offense is toast. When Verica throws half his passes at opposing defenders, it's a ticking time bomb. Not only this, I could gameplan better than Mike Groh. I'm as serious as a heart attack when I say it. Someone either has to be on medication or just incredibly stupid to call shotgun formations on 4th-and-1 and call pulling sweeps on 4th-and-3.

VT doesn't lose games like this. Not in their house with their season on the line. It's a mortal, ironclad lock. I'd take VT and any point spread in the single-digits this week. There is a 0.0% chance UVA wins this game. And it's not self-pity, it's just the stone cold truth.

What kind of reverse psychology are you trying to pull here buddy? Hahaha.

Because I'm going to do the same thing.

UVA has the ability to keep our defense on the field for too long. We're not that experienced on the defensive side of the ball, and we've shown weakness before when it comes to our endurance. Should be an interesting match up. You gonna get down here, Observer?

What kind of reverse psychology are you trying to pull here buddy? Hahaha.

Because I'm going to do the same thing.

UVA has the ability to keep our defense on the field for too long. We're not that experienced on the defensive side of the ball, and we've shown weakness before when it comes to our endurance. Should be an interesting match up. You gonna get down here, Observer?

Haha, no reverse psychology. I don't believe in it, truth be told. I have absolutely no confidence in UVA's ability to win in Blacksburg. It could not possibly be any lower. 2003 seems like such a distant memory. The ONLY stat that gives me solace is that the last time UVA lost the game before the VT game (1997), UVA won against VT. This is the only statistic I can use in UVA's favor.

I appreciate the thought, but UVA can't keep Tech's defense on the field. If UVA has 1 bad play in an offensive series, the whole unit virtually craps itself. It could be 1st-and-10, 2nd-and-6, whatever. If we have a play go for 1-2 yards or less, we'll see mind-blowingly asinine play calls and execution that rivals that of toddlers. 2nd-and-12? No worries, let's do a delayed handoff. 3rd-and-9? Yeah, a 5-yard out pattern works here. Verica sees Ogletree in double-coverage? No problem, let's just force that baby in there. Dang it, picked off. Again. I'm not kidding you, on Verica's first INT toss, 3 seconds before he threw his pass, I had enough time to shout at my TV twice "DON'T THROW THE SLANT!". Verica threw the slant. Led to the only TD of the game.

And I do hope to be down there. A very good chance of it, just depends on how the contacts work out for me this week. Mosey on over to the UVA section, you'll find me, my friend. I'd go looking for you, but I'd get lost in the Sea of Maroon. ;) I'll let you know this week if I'm able to make it. I'd love to be there, but I dread it.