BCS or Playoff

fieldgeneral

Which would you rather watch, BCS bowls or a playoff?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather watch, BCS bowls or a playoff?

• BCS bowls
    • Playoffs

Everybody grips about the current system but think how much attention is played to the ENTIRE college football season. IMO the only team that has a gripe about being left out is one that goes undefeated. You have Texas, USC, Penn State, Alabama, Texas Tech that come to mind all from BCS conferences, and all with one loss. What makes Florida and Oklahoma more deserving of them. I am a huge college football fan and every game really matters becuase if you lose, your chance of a National Championship may be lost with it. Did Duke losing to Michigan in college basketball cost them a shot at the NC. NOOOOOOO! But USC loss did, as did Penn State, and Alabama etc. So UTAH and Boise St. have a gripe, they are undefeated. Nobody else can say that. Do I really think that they are the best two teams in the country. NO, nor do I think BYU was in the 80s when it won the mythical national championship. But my point is that every game matters. You want to complain at the end of the year, go undefeated first! As average as both the Big East and ACC were this year, if one team from those conference went undefeated, I would say that they should be playing for the NC. Just my two cents.

A 16 team playoff and let the other teams go home. With the BCS every game might matter in the regular season but only one matters in the post season... The rest are meaningless. Wit a 16 team playoff every regular season game will still matter just as much because every loss will hurt your chances of making the playoffs.

Everyone makes the arguement of having multiple teams getting a fair shot at the National Championship. The way I see it, all 119 teams in the FBS have just as equal a shot. Schedule quality opponents, go undefeated, and if you do lose, lose early in the season. Every team has the same opportunity as another. Sure, the BCS has it's flaws, but it makes the college season exciting. EVERY GAME matters. Not "Oh, I can lose 2 or 3 games and still have a shot to advance in the playoffs to win the title." No. With the current system, you can't rely on something to help you when you lose. You need perfection, or the closest thing to it.

Why not an 8 team playoff? 16 seems excessive.. plus that will warrant more games which the NCAA would likely never go for or they would subtract a few from the current regular season. Then teams that don't make it to the "playoffs" would just be playing less games and all football records would change as we know them.

8 teams is good.

That is 7 games to decide a champion, and those games can be bowl games. The only problem is, as teams advance they get to go to multiple bowls...which just seems awkward/problematic. But I figure if a bunch of us can sit around and brainstorm plausible ideas, there is indeed some brains in the NCAA that can propose an agreeable solution. Anything but the BCS (Bull Crap System).

You always have to remember that whether there is a 4, 8, or 16 team playoff that the 5th and 6th teams would have a legitimate argument in a 4 team playoff, as would the 9th, 10th, 17th, and 18th teams in their respective playoffs. No matter what the system is there will always be controversy and flaws.

Everyone makes the arguement of having multiple teams getting a fair shot at the National Championship. The way I see it, all 119 teams in the FBS have just as equal a shot. Schedule quality opponents, go undefeated, and if you do lose, lose early in the season. Every team has the same opportunity as another. Sure, the BCS has it's flaws, but it makes the college season exciting. EVERY GAME matters. Not "Oh, I can lose 2 or 3 games and still have a shot to advance in the playoffs to win the title." No. With the current system, you can't rely on something to help you when you lose. You need perfection, or the closest thing to it.

Great Point!

You always have to remember that whether there is a 4, 8, or 16 team playoff that the 5th and 6th teams would have a legitimate argument in a 4 team playoff, as would the 9th, 10th, 17th, and 18th teams in their respective playoffs. No matter what the system is there will always be controversy and flaws.

Exactly. However, a playoff of 4, 8, or 16 teams would lead to a lot less controversy than the current system. Look at the college basketball, there's always several teams that complain about being left out, but in the end that doesn't overshadow the eventual national champion. With that said, however, college football thrives of the controversy of the current system and until that changes nothing else will.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

Exactly. However, a playoff of 4, 8, or 16 teams would lead to a lot controversy than the current system. Look at the college basketball, there's always several teams that complain about being left out, but in the end that doesn't overshadow the eventual national champion. With that said, however, college football thrives of the controversy of the current system and until that changes nothing else will.

There is always a complaint about something. I think the controversy is what makes College Football so exciting. However I still think a playoff would be better.

Every game wouldnt matter there are currently 3 temas in the top 16 with two losses and 3 teams with 3 losses.

Bullcrap. Every game would still matter, and the more losses you suffered, the lower you would be seeded.

Just watch the Division 1AA, 2 and 3 playoffs if you want to see excitment. The higher seed gets home field and every play matters. I could live with a BCS system to determine the 16 or 24 teams to make the field. 24 teams would be my preference because it most closely matches the top 25 rankings, and would allow higher seeded teams a bye in the first round, or the bye could go to the winner of the conference champions in the power conferences (Current BCS conferences)

The playoff would give schools like Boise St., Utah, Ball St., TCU and others a chance to prove themselves head-to-head.

Not only would it be profitable for the NCAA, and the schools, but the excitement it would generate would be off the charts.

Every game wouldnt matter there are currently 3 temas in the top 16 with two losses and 3 teams with 3 losses.

Every game would matter in that only 16 of however many teams there are now would make the postseason.

I honestly don't care about finding a better way to match #1 vs #2. The BCS probably gets that right more often than not. I care about making the postseason exciting, and there is nothing more exciting than "Win or go home"

Everybody grips about the current system but think how much attention is played to the ENTIRE college football season. IMO the only team that has a gripe about being left out is one that goes undefeated. You have Texas, USC, Penn State, Alabama, Texas Tech that come to mind all from BCS conferences, and all with one loss. What makes Florida and Oklahoma more deserving of them. I am a huge college football fan and every game really matters becuase if you lose, your chance of a National Championship may be lost with it. Did Duke losing to Michigan in college basketball cost them a shot at the NC. NOOOOOOO! But USC loss did, as did Penn State, and Alabama etc. So UTAH and Boise St. have a gripe, they are undefeated. Nobody else can say that. Do I really think that they are the best two teams in the country. NO, nor do I think BYU was in the 80s when it won the mythical national championship. But my point is that every game matters. You want to complain at the end of the year, go undefeated first! As average as both the Big East and ACC were this year, if one team from those conference went undefeated, I would say that they should be playing for the NC. Just my two cents.

The only reason duke's playoff hopes aren't down the crapper is because they are duke, they highly rated to begin with and they play 3 times as many games, give or take a few. If Duke loses a few more games like that to unranked teams, then that affects where they are seeded in the playoffs and affects their shot at the title. Do I feel that Utah and Boise are the best? Me niether, but I think they deserve a chance to prove themselves. Some schools will not play Boise, because they are often underrated due to their conference...ask Oklahoma how that went in the Fiesta bowl the last two years with underrated or overlooked teams. I think each conference winner and maybe two wild cards or maybe 4 should get in. Nothing wrong letting the top 10 fight it out. Hell if able to arrange it, I'd love to see the top 16. Two undefeateds playing for the NC is nice but then you get into the argument of these two teams have a crappy schedule. A playoff is the only true way to prove who's got it and who don't.

Every team gets a fair shot at the National Championship, playoff or not.

Tell that to an undefeated Auburn team a few years back. They were undefeated and because two other teams were higher ranked, they a consolation kick in the balls.

How is that different from now? Take bowl games as seeds of a tournament. The more you lose, the lower the seed you get and the less important of a bowl you receive. The more you win, the better chance at becoming a 1 seed and reaching the National Championship. You can look at current scheduling and the modern system as a season long tournament. The more you win, the further you advance.

How is that different from now? Take bowl games as seeds of a tournament. The more you lose, the lower the seed you get and the less important of a bowl you receive. The more you win, the better chance at becoming a 1 seed and reaching the National Championship. You can look at current scheduling and the modern system as a season long tournament. The more you win, the further you advance.

The current system settles nothing when you have multiple teams at the top with identical one, and on rare occasion two, loss records. A playoff/tournament setup is night and day different than the current BCS system and I'm shocked someone would even attempt to compare the two.

I was just saying that when someone presented the argument that every game would matter in the playoff system. Every game matters now. Win 'em all and you're in.

The deal with Auburn in 2004-2005, they started the season ranked 17th while USC and Oklahoma started 1,2. When that happens and both teams go undefeated, why should one team jump another to get into the National Championship? If the case is just because they went undeafeated as well, remember that Boise State and Utah also went undefeated that season.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

For all the people who think a 1 loss will matter with a 16 team playoff, look at it this way.

VT and WVU have decided to play each other. we have a 16 team playoff, and VT is 9-2, WVU undefeated. VT walks into Morgantown, and during the 4th quarter surmount a huge comeback knocking out WVU from an undefeated season in the final seconds. WVU fans are distraught, but then they realize, thier season isnt over! As VT hits the new HC Bud Foster with the gatorade, chants emerge from the stands of Ill see you in the playoffs!

A great win now has gone down the drain.

Or what if VT gets a early lead, and WVU realizing they are in the playoffs, sits their starters. How would that be good for the game.

And the_truth, I am so glad you see how much the regular season matters. I loved the enthusiam in your first post!