If I had a vote in the AP

the_truth

I would vote Utah number 1. They beat Alabama worse than Florida, beat Oregon State which USC couldnt, and are UNDEFEATED. If Va Tech or WVU was in this situation we would say they deserved it. Why not UTAH.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't think they could beat Florida/Oklahoma/Texas/USC. I say this because, yes they did beat Alabama by more than Florida did but lets look at that game:

Fla/Ala

No Harvin, Alabama had the tackle whos name escapes me right now (Smith maybe?)

Utah/Ala

No tackle

But still, Utah could have won the ACC/Big East. Coming from a VT fan.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I think you have to look at the Utah Alabama game like this, Utah had everything to play for to prove themselves, Alabama lost the shot to play for the NC and seemed to be stuck playing a lower opponent in Utah.

I think who wants it more and has more to play for is huge in bowl games, esp the BCS ones.

I think you have to look at the Utah Alabama game like this, Utah had everything to play for to prove themselves, Alabama lost the shot to play for the NC and seemed to be stuck playing a lower opponent in Utah.

I think who wants it more and has more to play for is huge in bowl games, esp the BCS ones.

Wouldn't it be something if the four teams from the Big 12 North that were top ten at some point this season all lost their bowl games?

They are 0-2 so far with Texas having the next chance Monday night.

Wouldn't it be something if the four teams from the Big 12 North that were top ten at some point this season all lost their bowl games?

They are 0-2 so far with Texas having the next chance Monday night.

Big 12 South...but still...would be funny to watch them all lose...

i wonder how good of a game it woulve been if utah played oklahoma or florida.

idk about you but i thought bama was goin to kill utah but they surprised me.

maybe they couldve played in the NC

Well, Florida and Oklahoma are playing for the BCS Nat'l Championship, however, I do think the AP should vote Utah #1. They earned the respect of the nation last night. The problem with Utah and the other west coast teams, other than USC is exposure. The reason everybody thought that Alabama was going to kill them, is because Bama has been on TV every week, high profile coach, huge fan following, tradition, etc. I couldnt name one person on Utahs team, their coaches name, the town in which theyre in or anything. Look at VT, I think a big part of what they have had going on there for the last 10 yrs or so is that they play a couple of times a year on Thursday nights. Everybody watches the Thursday night games. Anyway, Utah as alot to be proud of no matter what the final polls say. Remember Auburn, went through the SEC and the rest of their season undefeated and got 0, so this isnt the first time this has happened. Congrats to the Utes.

I'm so glad these Big 12 South teams are losing. I would hope for Texas to lose, but there's no way im going to root for Ohio State. So go Longhorns...sorta.

Yeah, no way im rooting for the suckeyes either. With Tenn being out of the bowl picture, Ole Miss beating TTU has been the highlight of the bowl season for me.

wouldn't a playoff with the top 8-16 teams settle it all? I mean Utah deserves a shot and had Boise won, they would have too. It was great to see the mighty Tide fall to the underdog. Granted Bama only had 2 starters in their normal positions due to injury or suspensions on the line at some point for the large part of the game, but injuries are part of the game. We could all sit here and debate on whether Utah could beat this team or that and they beat so and so by more than this or that team. It's not an accurate evaluation of a team based on how another team played them. Any team can beat anyone on a given night if certain things happen. It will be a great day when they decide to let the teams decide it on the field instead of by a point system.

I don`t know, the ACC wasn`t too strong this year.

The ACC was down this year. And Utah has been cheated because going undefeated is impressive no matter who you play. Look at UNC in basketball. BC beat them. Anybody can beat anybody at any time. This is just another reason why college football should go to a play-off for 8 or 16 teams. Utah deserves to be atleast #2 if not #1. Congrats Utah.

But playing teams in a major conference week in and week out would present problems for these MWC, WAC, CUSA teams that come out of nowhere to win one big game. Sure, they can go undefeated and beat a good team once a year, but put them in a major BCS conference where they would play good teams every week and I think it would be a different story.

But playing teams in a major conference week in and week out would present problems for these MWC, WAC, CUSA teams that come out of nowhere to win one big game. Sure, they can go undefeated and beat a good team once a year, but put them in a major BCS conference where they would play good teams every week and I think it would be a different story.

Thats very true

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Guys, let me give you another history lesson. Back before the BCS, no one cared even half as much for college football as they do know. Think about it, barring great WVU and VT teams that we may remember, the NFL dominated the 80's and 90's and no one even remembers the great college teams. Why? The BCS wasnt there.

Before you go bashing the BCS, look at what it has given you. Its earlier brother with added viewership lead to an overtime system. Remember that in the 80's and early 90's, when games ended in ties? What did that settle. Thank the Bowl Coalition for fixing that one. Most of you dont even know what that is.

Before 1992, 8 out of the 56 #1 and #2 teams met in the postseason. 14% of the time. No one watched then. College football wasnt exciting. It is now. #1 and #2 have met 100% of the time with the BCS, but now we argue over who is #1 or #2. If we went back to 1991, Id say we would be estatic over the system. We have forgotten where we were before the BCS, and what it has given us.

Every single one of you know Utah couldnt go undefeated in ANY BCS conference this year. They beat a heartbroken, heartless, injured Bama team who had gone undefeated all season and ran into a great team in the SEC championship and lost to UF, and lost the dream of a NC. Playing Utah in the Sugar Bowl was almost a slap in the face. Utah on the other hand had everything to gain from a win, Bama nothing. Thats why Utah won, Im not saying they dont have athletes, but heart has a lot to do with it in any sport.

But you use this as a way to try and get a playoff when you know Utah wouldnt have won out. But why isnt anyone saying, look at Texas, they played a usually horrible BCS team in Ohio State, and probably should have lost. Why isnt anyone saying that the BCS got it right? Oh thats right, because they really did. Texas with a blowout could have won the NC. Instead they proved the BCS right.

Argue all you want. You can say that a 16 team playoff would be great, but the "Toilet/Orange bowl" rule would be in effect. Getmoney called it this, Rules posted an article on it. Sure what a waste to see 3 and 4 loss teams play in a big bowl. What a waste it would also be to see 3 and 4 loss teams play in a playoff. The same rule applies.

Then you have the 8 team playoff, where Utah doesnt even probably get in. Where is your reasoning there? Are you going to take away Conference champions to get Utah in? Then what is the point of conferences? Or you might say let all the undefeateds in. Well we have 6 conference champions, and 3 mid major undefeateds. (it could have been Tulsa, Boise st, Ball st, Utah this year.) Who gets in then? What about the 1 loss Alabama team who was ranked #1 all year and wont get in because they lost 1 game? Thats not fair either.

Look. Life isnt fair. Amazingly though the BCS almost is. And if you say its not, well may I remind you of that little number of 14%. 8 out of 56. The BCS has brought all of you into loving college football. It has given you something great, dont turn around and throw that gift away.

Every game matters.

Edited by BEAVERTAIL

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Utah could have gone undefeated in the ACC and/or the Big East imo. I won't make excuses for their perfect season, they had a good football team and even better coaches.

You probably watched them play one game. Maybe 2. If you say more I would say I know your lying, I looked up the TV schedule. And you can judge that this team would go undefeated?

Ok lets say they did win out in a BCS conference. Alabama would have destroyed them. They would have had a shot at the NC and Bama would have had a reason to play. Bama has a better football team, just not on the 2nd when they had nothing to play for. In the other thread Gman and UVAobserver echoed this as well as Saban.

Im done on this subject. Utah is not the best team in the country we all know this.

Ive spoken my part above, and if you all dont see what you have been given by the BCS, and what you could be missing with still all kinds of controversy, well I dont know what i can do.