Just Curious..............

Catch11

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at Bluefield High School today and saw Tevin Allen and Jerrell Powell, just interested to see if they had actually transferred. Does anyone know??

I've heard yes...

somebody said that they had narrowed their choices to Bluefield and/or Richlands.

I hate seeing these kids transfer HS. They should play where they live. If they live on an area where either is a choice then fine. I know there are several kids who choose other places because of coaches or this or that, but it's getting a little crazy it seems. It seems a bit odd for someone to live in Princeton and go to school an hour away in Richlands or even just across the county. It would make Richlands pretty deadly with all they have coming back with that added speed and athleticism. I'm not sure who is playing QB at Bluefield next year and what all they lost, but I'm sure it would help them as well.

I just like seeing all the different high schools have a decent chance.

Edited by fieldgeneral

I hate seeing these kids transfer HS. They should play where they live. If they live on an area where either is a choice then fine. I know there are several kids who choose other places because of coaches or this or that, but it's getting a little crazy it seems. It seems a bit odd for someone to live in Princeton and go to school an hour away in Richlands or even just across the county.

I just like seeing all the different high schools have a decent chance.

I say that if a kid has the opportunity to leave for a better football program then go for it. Of course both Allen and Powell would have to meet the residential standards in order to transfer to Bluefield, but if they have legal housing available in the BHS district then it should be their choice. Look at Jerrell's brother, Jerome, for instance. When he transferred to Bluefield after his freshman season he played in a total of 10 post-season games and earned a championship ring while doing so. That's essentially a whole season more than he would've seen the field if he had stayed in Princeton. I understand your point, but I don't exactly see where it seems a little crazy. Everyone wants to be a winner and everyone knows that it's just not going to happen in Princeton.

I say that if a kid has the opportunity to leave for a better football program then go for it. Of course both Allen and Powell would have to meet the residential standards in order to transfer to Bluefield, but if they have legal housing available in the BHS district then it should be their choice. Look at Jerrell's brother, Jerome, for instance. When he transferred to Bluefield after his freshman season he played in a total of 10 post-season games and earned a championship ring while doing so. That's essentially a whole season more than he would've seen the field if he had stayed in Princeton. I understand your point, but I don't exactly see where it seems a little crazy. Everyone wants to be a winner and everyone knows that it's just not going to happen in Princeton.

I agree with you about Princeton. I didn't go to school there, but live there and have attended some games. AAA is tough and that conference schedule is killer. AA is a lot less competitive and is usually dominated by a handful of teams or less consistently. Bluefield is a tremendous football team and will be with the coaching that they have. The opponents you play against as well as the individuals you face are generally better than you see in AA and more plentiful.

I agree that players should have a choice with some limitations. You can't recruit per say in HS although some coaches make their best effort lol. It's hard to build a program not knowing what you are going to have. Princeton gets beat up every season and starts out decent and by the end of the season, they are beat down with injuries and what not. I just really think that teams in that conference travel too much, play the toughest teams each week, and in some ways the challenges are good, but the travel and little chance for the "cake" game or whatever early or for homecoming is very little.

I've heard there are going to be a lot more transfer from Princeton then just those 2... I've heard it straight from the players mouth. some won't be an impact this year, but will down the road.

I've heard there are going to be a lot more transfer from Princeton then just those 2... I've heard it straight from the players mouth. some won't be an impact this year, but will down the road.

The word impact is an understatement wouldn't you say?

Who are these two people from princeton, I know Powell is JT's little brother. But what posistion do they play and how did they do last season?

They were both Princeton's "star" players. I haven't followed them closely but I think they lead a very potent rushing attack with both of them and they were called to pretty much carry the whole offense. Both are excellent athletes and should fit in nicely with Bluefield's system. This upcoming football season will be Powell's senior year and Tevin Allen's junior year.

And I'm sure it won't translate into much, but both of them could log some serious minutes on the basketball court next season also. But that's just two more guards on an already small team.

I think Allen has a ton of potential. I said during his freshman season that with the work ethic and right coaching he could make a serious Kennedy Award push by his junior and senior seasons. He's fast, quick, smart, and tough. He has that special ability to find holes and make people miss. He played the majority of last season with an injury and missed several games.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

Welcome to Mercer Co. transfer football....Big numbers can be put up when you play oak hill and mt. view every other week.....congrats to bluefield--enjoy your wins with a princeton backfield--how will jake and patterson like that......i'm sure they will be fine when winning but if something goes wrong lets see what happens--when players start running the asylum and put themselves up to the highest bidder you see what kind of character they have...I haven't been on here for a while and I look forward to all the bluefield banter---maybe coaching has something to do with it--i doubt it--I played for Spadaro when we kicked Blfd. butt every year....kids running the asylum--welcome to Mercer Co./Tazwell Co. football where success is bread by thr transfers that come in--what ever happened to Bluefield winning with their own players?

the problem that i have with tevin leavin princeton for bluefield is that he can really go play for a Division I school. but i def agree and know from experience that playin in the MSAC conference is a killer and AA ball is not as competitive as playin in the MSAC so he would not get as noticed like he would playin AAA ball.

bluefield no doubt will be sick this year but i believe that the thing that could bring this team down is the selfish attitude of powell.

Edited by neva_scarred

Welcome to Mercer Co. transfer football....Big numbers can be put up when you play oak hill and mt. view every other week.....congrats to bluefield--enjoy your wins with a princeton backfield--how will jake and patterson like that......i'm sure they will be fine when winning but if something goes wrong lets see what happens--when players start running the asylum and put themselves up to the highest bidder you see what kind of character they have...I haven't been on here for a while and I look forward to all the bluefield banter---maybe coaching has something to do with it--i doubt it--I played for Spadaro when we kicked Blfd. butt every year....kids running the asylum--welcome to Mercer Co./Tazwell Co. football where success is bread by thr transfers that come in--what ever happened to Bluefield winning with their own players?

Bottom line is this.........good players don't wan't to play for douchebag coaches. And if you are a douchebag coach, and your players are leaving to play elsewhere ,or not playing at all, then maybe you should consider resigning and let someone else do the job. I can think of two right of the top of my head that fall into this category.

Who was a transfer during Bluefields 07 title?

Better to win with transfers who want to win, then Princeton who does nothing at all.

and neverscared, Coach Simon won't let players like that play on his team, who cause trouble. Ask anybody who know's Bluefield football and they will tell you the same

the problem that i have with tevin leavin princeton for bluefield is that he can really go play for a Division I school. but i def agree and know from experience that playin in the MSAC conference is a killer and AA ball is not as competitive as playin in the MSAC so he would not get as noticed like he would playin AAA ball.

bluefield no doubt will be sick this year but i believe that the thing that could bring this team down is the selfish attitude of powell.

that if you play well at Princeton , you have a better shot of playing D1 if you have the tools. AAA and playing in the MSAC is much tougher than any AA would have to offer. Bluefield however, I'm sure would be competitive in AAA. It would be interesting to see.

that if you play well at Princeton , you have a better shot of playing D1 if you have the tools. AAA and playing in the MSAC is much tougher than any AA would have to offer. Bluefield however, I'm sure would be competitive in AAA. It would be interesting to see.

agree, if you came to watch princeton play this year you would know that tevin does have all the tools, just needs to stay healthy tho

agree, if you came to watch princeton play this year you would know that tevin does have all the tools, just needs to stay healthy tho

I've seen him play and I totally agree. I just don't get all this move to Bluefield or Taz co. to play. HS ball only lasts forever in your mind. Wouldn't a chance to play D1 be a better long term goal. I'm not bashing Bluefield, they have a great thing going. I just don't understand why more players aren't going to play at bigger schools or play at all. I've been told a lot of times that it has to with grades and other things. I do know that playing on a larger stage...AAA that you will get noticed more often.

For those that say Bluefield wouldn't succeed in AAA or the MSAC, ask the state champion head coach of South Charleston if they would. He said it himself that Bluefield would be very successful in the MSAC and was the best team they played all of last year....a year when the Beavers didn't make it to the state championship game.

As for Allen and Powell taking spots, I see Allen and Jake Lilly sharing the backfield. I don't see Powell playing much on offense except for maybe as a slot receiver; over the last three seasons I, for one, have been more impressed with his defensive play. Patterson isn't worried about having his spot "taken" at running back, considering he hardly ever ran the ball last season and the letters he receives from schools show interest in him at receiver or defensive back.

Anyway, with the return of Patterson, Lilly, Beckett, and the starting offensive and defensive lines, Bluefield was set for next year regardless. Now, with the addition of Jerrell Powell and all-stater Tevin Allen, the Beavers look even more promising.

For those that say Bluefield wouldn't succeed in AAA or the MSAC, ask the state champion head coach of South Charleston if they would. He said it himself that Bluefield would be very successful in the MSAC and was the best team they played all of last year....a year when the Beavers didn't make it to the state championship game.

As for Allen and Powell taking spots, I see Allen and Jake Lilly sharing the backfield. I don't see Powell playing much on offense except for maybe as a slot receiver; over the last three seasons I, for one, have been more impressed with his defensive play. Patterson isn't worried about having his spot "taken" at running back, considering he hardly ever ran the ball last season and the letters he receives from schools show interest in him at receiver or defensive back.

Anyway, with the return of Patterson, Lilly, Beckett, and the starting offensive and defensive lines, Bluefield was set for next year regardless. Now, with the addition of Jerrell Powell and all-stater Tevin Allen, the Beavers look even more promising.

I think you are downplaying what Bluefield can accomplish with those two. If Beckett can be average, and get the ball to the skill people he has then this might be the best Bluefield team of all time, or the most explosive anyway. The only questions to me were quarterback, and who will replace Beckett at WR. Patterson, Powell,Lilly, and Allen form the best 1-2-3-4 punch since Ahmad,Paco,HT, and Reed Oakes at Graham in the early part of the decade. This team could be very scary..........