Signing Day!!!

wvuraiders

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Was there no hot chicks in class today?

Only a few and they sit right behind me and that would be too obvious. lol.

There were so few people there because of the roads and weather we were reviewing old stuff from 101 for those who had not taken it, luckily I brought my laptop. In addition to this I have never been able to fall asleep in class. I just cant get comfortable lol.

I honestly want to thank you for giving me something to do, the time flew by.

Edited by BEAVERTAIL

I call B.S. on this whole book of fandom deal. I'm not saying that I disagree with all of your points, Observer, because if there is any sports fan in the world I hate more than anyone, it's a bandwagon fan. I think that there are some very strong cases that can be brought about to completely disprove Bill Simmons and his work.

Academics, for instance, would be crucial. Some schools out there are extremely competitive and not everyone who applies will be accepted. Hypothetically speaking, Observer, you'll have a baby boy in a few years and you'll groom him to be one of the biggest UVA fans to walk the Earth. Lets say he wants to follow his daddy's footsteps and go to school in Charlottesville, but as he grows up, he doesn't exactly turn out the be a chip off the ol' block, so to speak. He does very well in his classes throughout high school but doesn't perform too well on his college entrance exams, and ultimately gets denied from his top college choice. He then has to "settle" for JMU. Is he supposed to all of the sudden stop being a UVA fan?

Or vthokies4life, how about this one. You grow up in Roanoke (just an example) and are born and bred a Hokie. You come home from school one day as a teenager and your father tells you some big news. He just took a great transfer job in Dallas and you all are moving to Texas next month. So you move to your new school and state, you're the biggest VT fan in Texas, and before you know it, it's time to apply to college. You look at Virginia Tech and you're now considered an out-of-state resident when it comes to applying for admission. Is $30,000.00 a year worth it and/or doable for you and your family? You can go to UT, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, etc. for less than half of that. Are you going to all of a sudden stop cheering for the Hokies and be a Texas fan?

These are just a few scenarios that came to me right off the top of my head, and I'm sure that there are many more. My main point is that whether or not there are direct ties between you and a university doesn't mean you can't wholeheartedly love them. I've personally had many ties to Virginia Tech and although I could probably throw a rock across the Virginia state line, I didn't choose to go there because of the price. I applied, got accepted, and could afford to attend Tech, but I just decided that an extra $100,000+ for a bachelors degree from there, that will in all likelihood just be a stepping stone into another graduate/professional school wasn't worth it to me. I don't attend school there and chances are I'll never attend school there, but I'll guarantee you that I know and care just as much, if not more about that university than almost any other student that goes there does.

And honestly, if I had the opportunity to attend college anywhere in the country it wouldn't be in Blacksburg (that would be #2! ;) ). I would be in Chapel Hill right now as I type this. I didn't even apply to UNC because I knew that I wouldn't get in. I've visited the campus and attended basketball games there many times throughout my life and I don't think there is a more beautiful campus in this country than that one. I hopped on the UNC bandwagon when I figured out what basketball was. I was on the bandwagon when they won the titles in 1993 and 2005, and I was on the bandwagon when they went 8-20 for their first losing season in almost 50 years. As much as the wins and losses in Carolina mean to me, they are very minute when it comes to the actual beauty and tradition of UNC.

So in conclusion, Bill Simmons can question my "fandom" all he wants to because what it all boils down to is he is just another northerner who sold his soul to Boston, and is just a typical fan who has soaked in all the success of the Patriots, Celtics, Red Sox, Bruins, etc., which is completely fine in my opinion. I would just challenge him to find another UNC and/or VT fan to come in and question my "fanhood" so I could prove to them that I know just as much, if not more about what is going on with their own team. This isn't always the case 100% of the time, but most of the time I would rather have 50 true fans who do/don't have direct ties than 100 "fans" who went to school there.

Edit: Also, just because I like both schools doesn't mean that I'm a Virginia Tech football fan and a Carolina basketball fan. I pull for both schools in ALL sports, have attended random sporting events for both universities, and now that they are in the ACC and must face each other regularly, I choose the one who has the most to play for at that current point in the season.

In response to your comments directed toward me:

Yes. If you are going to attend football games every saturday at any given stadium as a student of any given school, the team of the school you attend had better be your no. 1 team. Take me for example. My dad grew up in Alabama and attended Alabama. I was born and raised on Alabama Football. When I got to Tech, what happened? Tech trumps Alabama as my no. 1 team, simply because this is a team consisting of players who are my classmates, friends, and colleagues.

In response to your comments about Bill Simmons:

He has "sold his soul" to Boston as much as any of us have sold our souls to the team we root for. The day Virginia Tech wins a national championship is the day that I will soak in the success of the team for myself. As much yelling as I've done for (and at) this team, as much pain I've felt when losing, I will definitely soak up the moment when we sit on top. And that's all that Simmons is doing.

Yes. If you are going to attend football games every saturday at any given stadium as a student of any given school, the team of the school you attend had better be your no. 1 team. Take me for example. My dad grew up in Alabama and attended Alabama. I was born and raised on Alabama Football. When I got to Tech, what happened? Tech trumps Alabama as my no. 1 team, simply because this is a team consisting of players who are my classmates, friends, and colleagues.

He has "sold his soul" to Boston as much as any of us have sold our souls to the team we root for. The day Virginia Tech wins a national championship is the day that I will soak in the success of the team for myself. As much yelling as I've done for (and at) this team, as much pain I've felt when losing, I will definitely soak up the moment when we sit on top. And that's all that Simmons is doing.

I fully respect your opinion and stance on this subject, so I guess we'll just agree to disagree on this topic. And in response to the Simmons part at the end, I don't think that there is anything wrong in "selling your soul" to a beloved team as he has done, I'm just around the arrogance of Bostonians all the time and it gets a little old. I want you to know that there are fans who both do and do not have ties to your university that go through the exact ups and downs with the team as you do. I know that I will soak up the moment just as much as you will when Tech finally reaches the top too. Go Hokies!

I apologize for not responding to the litany of posts earlier, my fiancee was in town this weekend, and I just couldn't get to a computer in time. But I think this post right here hits the nail on the head. I really couldn't say it any better myself, with regards to fandom or Simmons.

To respond to Hokie07. If my child gets denied from UVA and goes to JMU (which I hope he'd/she'd do anyway if they have an inclination toward liberal arts, but I digress), then I firmly believe that JMU should be their school. In fact, if they're rejected from UVA, that really should add a little more "fuel on the fire" to distance themselves from UVA, one would think. I know if I hadn't received the acceptance letter from UVA the day after I received it from VT, I'd probably be a bigger UVA-hater than anyone on this board. Yes, even you, GMan, LOL. I hope I'm hitting the crux of the debate here, as I don't have the full text of the post right in front of me.

Bandwagoning just looks very suspicious when one school is very good in football, another school is very good in basketball, and neither school is very good in the area the other is very good in. Wanting cake, eating it too, etc.