Signing Day!!!

wvuraiders

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious why Carter changed his commitment to Minnesota. I guess he wants to play for a .500 team and start his freshman year insted of competing for a CB slot and competing for a bigeast title and a bowl game.... WOW

and I thought Taige Redman comitted to Ohio, but apparently WVU asked him to walk on or something

thus they offered this kid, said he is die hard mountaineer and works his tale off...nice to sign a couple of wv kids.....hopefully he turns out like another in state product reed williams...who i might have is coming back next year off medical redshirt.

Virginia got their biggest fish in Morgan Moses! I'm happy to keep him in-state (and away from VT).

Here's the list of Virginia's targets/signees:

http://www.thesabre.com/recruiting/signees/2009/

http://virginia.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?school=91

I'm thrilled about getting Moses and Aboushi on the line to compliment one another. Tim Smith is a GREAT WR prospect; hopefully, Ball State's OC knows how to use them. Dominique Wallace is a solid 4* fullback who could make some big inroads for our running game. 5 4* prospects in general, and a recruit ranking of 33 according to Rivals (if I recall correctly).

Of course, I'd like it to be much better. But I won't complain with progress.

Not bashing the Gophers....but seriously why would anyone wanna go to Minnesota over WVU?? I could understand the early playing time issue but WVU will be losing Lankster and if Carter is as good as advertised then he should have no problem fitting right in.....

Maybe the idea of playing indoors appealed to him.....i dont know

Good luck to him..

west virginia runs a 3-5-3 right? maybe he didn't want to play in that? it is possible..

Minn. is growing. A young team that had some success this year, I can definitely see why he wants to go there. Playing against teams like Ohio State, Michigan, and Illinois sell higher to recruits than the likes of Syracuse, UConn, and Rutgers. And maybe he got along better with the coaches or liked the environment better in Minnesota. Who knows...

There are a lot of things that go into a recruit deciding where he wants to go, WVU fans. Don't think that your sudden success will lead to everyone and their moms wanting to come to Morgantown. There are plenty of factors that lead to a recruit making a decision and im sure the notoriously weak defensive secondary of WVU had some influence in his decision.

Not trying to take a jab at Marshall, but why would he want to play for them? Insted of a better school down south?

I'm not sure of his exact reasons for choosing Marshall, but he was quoted in saying that he really liked the rate at which they put players into the next level, noting Byron Leftwich and Chad Pennington as a quarterback. He also visited Huntington this past weekend and had a blast according to reports. But if there is one thing that Mark Snyder has done, it has been his ability to create a sort of a hot bed for Marshall in the southern states, especially Florida. They have a lot of talent out of the Sunshine state and that could've also played a role in Graham's decision.

I think he flew a little under the radar because of the size of his high school at just 3A. Apparently, he really wanted to go to Miami but they were full at his position and wouldn't offer him. He had offers from Marshall, Kansas State, Oregon, and Clemson, but only took official visits to MU, K-State, and Clemson. I'd say that the signing of Tahj Boyd to Clemson had a little bit to do with why he isn't wearing orange right now.

No one has ever questioned Mark Snyder ability to recruit because he has brought in the 3 highest rated recruiting classes in school history the past few seasons, it just isn't translating onto the field. Strong rumor has it that is "9 in '09" meaning that if they can't win 9 games in 2009 then he is gone. Everyone knows he has the talent players to succeed, it's just the case of actually getting them to produce on the field.

how are you guys doing?

I'm a HUGE VT fan but living in the state of GA....... I do pull for the dawgs as a second favorite.

I went the other day and heard Mark Richt speak at the dedication of the Long Forum at Greater ATL Christian. (It's a 3500 stadium seat arena for basketball and other events.) Coach Richt was asked to speak b/c he had 3 former GAC players on his team last year. Caleb King, RB; Brannon Sutherland, FB and Christian Robinson WR, I believe. Christian's dad, Ken Robinson is the head fb coach at GAC and formerly played for the WA Redskins.

The #3 WR in the nation, Marlon Brown from Memphis committed to GA today.....and with A.J. Green lined up on the other side at WR.....GA is gonna have some tandem. GA had already enrolled last month 2 elite 11 QB's..... Murray from FL and Mettenberger from Oconee Co. close to Athens.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See below AJC article on Marlon Brown:

WR Marlon Brown commits to Georgia over Tennessee and Ohio State

By Michael Carvell | Wednesday, February 4, 2009, 04:10 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Georgia ended an 0-for-4 skid as finalists for prospects on signing day when wide receiver Marlon Brown of Memphis committed to the Bulldogs on Wednesday afternoon.

Brown made his announcement at Harding Academy, surrounded by friends wearing the hats of his finalists: Tennessee, Georgia, Ohio State and Mississippi. Brown didn’t waste any time, immediately grabbing the Georgia hat, and putting it on.

“The reason why I chose the Bulldogs … they have a good head coach and they have a good system for receivers to come in and play early … that’s why I picked Georgia,†Brown told ESPNU.

Georgia had missed earlier in the day on safety Jawanza Starling of Tallahasee, Fla., (Southern Cal), Columbus-Carver linebacker Jarvis Jones (Southern Cal), offensive lineman Bobby Massie of Hargrave, Va., (Ole Miss), and Miller Grove wide receiver Stephen Hill (Georgia Tech). Hill was the only of the foursome committed to another school while considering switching to the Bulldogs.

The 6-foot-5, Brown, who is ranked as the nation’s No. 3 wide receiver by ESPN, said he picked Georgia on Monday, and then stuck with the decision.

“[Georgia coach Mark Richt] told me I was going to come in and have the chance to play as a freshman, and I bought into it,†Brown told ESPNU.

There was a tremendous amount of pressure for Brown to stay at home and play for the Volunteers. New Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin had made Brown his No. 1 recruiting priority, flying to Memphis to visit with Brown on the same day he took the job.

“It was extremely hard to tell the Tennessee Vols ‘No’ … it was real hard,â€

Minn. is growing. A young team that had some success this year, I can definitely see why he wants to go there. Playing against teams like Ohio State, Michigan, and Illinois sell higher to recruits than the likes of Syracuse, UConn, and Rutgers. And maybe he got along better with the coaches or liked the environment better in Minnesota. Who knows...

There are a lot of things that go into a recruit deciding where he wants to go, WVU fans. Don't think that your sudden success will lead to everyone and their moms wanting to come to Morgantown. There are plenty of factors that lead to a recruit making a decision and im sure the notoriously weak defensive secondary of WVU had some influence in his decision.

nothing in your explanation justifies him going to minnesota, his family connection and early playing time were his factors. I am glad you are concerned with our recruiting I doubt uncle bill would recruit you, you sound like a person of very little character ( jk)15th in all time wins in college football shows we have had success before this latest run.

glaud flipped a coing at presser literally to pick ru over wvu...we lost on a coin flip....hence Reidman getting scholly!

http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20090204/NEWS01/90204010/1001/RSS

I'm not even mad that he didnt choose us. I'm upset that somebody actually let him flip a coin to see which school he would go to...I mean come on, I'd rather him just outright say he's going to WVU or Rutgers... that seems nuts to me

Speaking of Snook, I'm interested to see what WVU will do with him. Snook stood out to recruiters as both a fullback and linebacker, being recruited heavily for both positions. Scout has him as the #2 fullback and Rivals has him as #34 outside linebacker.

Sorry I didnt see this GetMoney55, Chris Snook will play Fullback for WVU. If you watched a few WVU games this year i'm sure you saw how awful we were on short yardage situations because we simply didnt have a bruiser in the backfield. Snook will step in and basically be our new Owen Schmitt.

I could see what your saying about him playing linebacker, but I don't think he would play LB for the fact we have so much talent coming back next year. Reed Williams who was the Fiesta Bowl MVP last year but had shoulder problems this year only played 2 games I believe, you could see how much better WVU was on defense with him even though he only played 2 games (Marshall, Colorado) He had a interception against Colorado and many tackles against both teams. But when it came down to it, the pain was to much I guess. So he took a medical reshirt and we be a senior next year...

Pat Lazear who saw a lot of playing time this year really stepped up this year in place of R. Williams played excellent in the bowl game against UNC. He's going to be a Junior and i'm sure he's only going to improve after the winter weight lifting and spring drills

Anthony Leonard who played very well at times this year will also see alot of time at the LB place. He's young so i'm thinking he'll be learning from Reed Williams for the most part of this upcoming year and perhaps becoming a starter in the future..

JT Thomas is a heck of a linebacker and will be starting im sure coming August. He played some amazing football this past year and he's only going to be getting better.

Then you have Sophomore backers coming back like Casey Vance, Najae Goode, Ovid Goulbourne who we really havent seen because of the talented backers we've saw at WVU this past year like Thomas, Lazear and Morty Ivy

Our incoming class has these Linebackers coming in, Branko Busick who is suppose to be an outstanding linebacker, and Taige Redman from Keyser.

So after all of that, to answer you question....No, Chris Snook will not be playing linebacker haha

Saw where Matt Muncy is listed as a TE/FB at Wake, little suprised bout the FB part but I think he would be a solid TE.. Did anyone else from the local area sign anywhere?? Im not around SWVA now so I haven't heard..

Guest BEAVERTAIL
nothing in your explanation justifies him going to minnesota, his family connection and early playing time were his factors. I am glad you are concerned with our recruiting I doubt uncle bill would recruit you, you sound like a person of very little character ( jk)15th in all time wins in college football shows we have had success before this latest run.

He actually has a point, and in fact Minnesota is only 40 games behind WVU, and 2 percentage points behind WVU's all time winning percentage of 59%. WVU also has one less double digit win seasons in the last 4 years than accumulated in the 100+ years before.

The 15th in the country stat is somewhat misleading because of the WVU playing more games than many institutions. They are surrounded by Cuse and Colorado, if that shows you anything.

WVU on average runs a 7-5 record according to stats, and with a 10+ win season occuring once every 15 years on average, the recent success has elevated WVU to a new high.

Basically the point of this post is to show WVU is a normal top 25 team, ranking 24th in win percentage. I would consider that successful. However, the past 4 years, more so the past 3 after this one have been very successful. If WVU thinks they are a consistent top 10 team, they are wrong. However, if they consider themselves a consistent Top 20-25 team with seasons above and below that that would be statistically accurate.

For all those who I am sure are wondering, VT is 21.(Which I see is very accurate) Michigan is 1.

Sorry to hijack it, but resume talks of recruits. I found a few pretty cool sites and nice info and wanted to share.

Edited by BEAVERTAIL

If WVU thinks they are a consistent top 10 team, they are wrong

What facts do you have to support that statement?

WVU just got one of the best recruiting classes we've gotten in some time, possibly ever. If we can do what we have done in the past with lesser recruiting classes, I'm very excited to see what they're going to be able to do now.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Ill start with the fact that they have more losing seasons than 9+ wins seasons. They have had nine, 9+ winning seasons since 76, and 9 losing seasons.

After that they only have 2 more 9+ winning seasons.

I said above they average a 7-5 win season, even if they are 8-4, thats still not top 10 quality. And in actuality they are 8.1-4.2 over the last 10 years.

Over 20 years they are 7.5- 4.35 -.15.

This is not top 10 quality.

Over the last 10 years, WVU ranks 22nd in winning percentage. 20 years, 25th. 30 years, 21st. 40 years, 23rd. Anyone seeing a trend?

Edited by BEAVERTAIL

You can use statistics about the past all you want. But that does not change the fact that you can't prove that WVU won't be a top 10 team in the future. Nor can I prove that they will be. Bottom line is, we will just have to wait and see.

Statistics can't show how a team is going to preform next year. If they can, what did statistics show about Texas Tech the past few years?

Edited by bluefieldRocks

Guest BEAVERTAIL
You can use statistics about the past all you want. But that does not change the fact that you can't prove that WVU won't be a top 10 team in the future. Nor can I prove that they will be. Bottom line is, we will just have to wait and see.

Statistics can't show how a team is going to preform next year. If they can, what did statistics show about Texas Tech the past few years?

If you can find where I talked about WVU being good in the future, Ill delete all my posts.

If you read my first post, it was to show that WVU on average is a top 25 team IN THE PAST. Next year or after never came to mind.

And if you think recruits equal success, go ask Notre Dame what they think about that. No one can predict the future, but we can analyze the past. And like Ive been saying all along, WVU is a consistent 20-25 team, with years up and down from that.

You said...

"If WVU thinks they are a top 10 team, they are wrong"

I asked you explain your opinion on that... I have no idea what you're talking about, I thought you were refering to the future of WVU, and them "not being a top 10 team"