Signing Day!!!

wvuraiders

Guest BEAVERTAIL
You said...

"If WVU thinks they are a top 10 team, they are wrong"

I asked you explain your opinion on that... I have no idea what you're talking about, I thought you were refering to the future of WVU, and them "not being a top 10 team"

First of all dont change my words. Look in the red.

Basically the point of this post is to show WVU is a normal top 25 team, ranking 24th in win percentage. I would consider that successful. However, the past 4 years, more so the past 3 after this one have been very successful. If WVU thinks they are a consistent top 10 team, they are wrong. However, if they consider themselves a consistent Top 20-25 team with seasons above and below that that would be statistically accurate.

Sorry to hijack it, but resume talks of recruits. I found a few pretty cool sites and nice info and wanted to share.

And my whole post consisted of discussing the past of WVU football, stemming from the whole recruit argument from Getmoney and some WVU fans. I said consistent, because of the past years, thats how you measure consistency, year in year out. Even in the last 4 years, WVU averages a 11.1 ranking.

With the recruits and the Big East Conference, WVU looks to be a contender for sure in the future. Looks. But no one can predict the future, and in this case I never tried to like you claim. Just trying to give a background of the successes of WVU football, and where they fit in the college football world.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody is trying to change your words, My first reply to you I even quoted what you said. I think you are getting flustered over nothing to be honest. So now that we've got that out of the way.

Going back to your statement, once again... you said "If WVU thinks they are a consistent top 10 team, they are wrong". I'm glad you gave us all a history lesson on WVU athletics and how they have preformed in the past. But to try and say that they won't be a CONSISTENT top 10 team in the future, How can you state you didnt try to foreshadow a little bit? unless I'm reading this on the wrong end, and you are saying that WVU WAS NOT a consistent top 10 team. Or as I took it, you were saying that WVU will not be a consistent top 10 team in the future.

Minn. is growing. A young team that had some success this year, I can definitely see why he wants to go there. Playing against teams like Ohio State, Michigan, and Illinois sell higher to recruits than the likes of Syracuse, UConn, and Rutgers. And maybe he got along better with the coaches or liked the environment better in Minnesota. Who knows...

There are a lot of things that go into a recruit deciding where he wants to go, WVU fans. Don't think that your sudden success will lead to everyone and their moms wanting to come to Morgantown. There are plenty of factors that lead to a recruit making a decision and im sure the notoriously weak defensive secondary of WVU had some influence in his decision.

OSU, MICH, AND ILLINOIS HUH. I would probably have used PSU if I was talking of the BT. Syracuse is a history rich program going in a new direction hopefully. UCONN is doing well, did better than UM and ILL this past year and Rutgers is coming off losing one of their best players in Rice and now losing a QB this year. Still you left out USF who is a good program that is very competitive.

It's amazing how you turn into the recruiting coordinator of the world especially when it's against WVU and the BE. Who is your team?

I don't think anyone said that everyone and their mom wanted to come to WVU. Your being silly. The sudden success will actually bring in many recruits. You know playing in bowl games and winning them does help. Geno Smith came because of our recent success and our recent success of Pat White. Our defense has been really good the past couple years and we have a great D coordinator. So his recent success with the D is bringing in a higher level of recruits.

WVU has been having success with those unwanted or lowly ranked athletes, so the expectations are higher with these 4 / 5 star athletes.

Michael Carter chose Minnnesota for family ties. Minnesota isn't in the running to win the Big Ten or even for a chance at the Rose Bowl anytime soon. Sure they could prove me wrong, but I like my chances. He didn't chose them for their recent success or anything like that. He would have some competition at WVU at the corner spot, but could have possibly started at one of the corner spots.

If the "notoriously" weak secondary of WVU was a factor, then maybe that would lead me to think I had a shot to impact / start for a BCS school that is usually up for the conference bid for a BCS bowl game. They gave up 197 ypg passing. Florida 179, Oklahoma 251, Minnesota 240. It looks like this past year our "weak" secondary really put him off.

Sure, maybe he liked the atmosphere better or maybe even the coaches better who knows, but I doubt it was for their success or WVU's lack thereof.

NOONE said everyone wanted to come there, get a grip dude.

Edited by fieldgeneral

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Nobody is trying to change your words, My first reply to you I even quoted what you said. I think you are getting flustered over nothing to be honest. So now that we've got that out of the way.

Going back to your statement, once again... you said "If WVU thinks they are a consistent top 10 team, they are wrong". I'm glad you gave us all a history lesson on WVU athletics and how they have preformed in the past. But to try and say that they won't be a CONSISTENT top 10 team in the future, How can you state you didnt try to foreshadow a little bit? unless I'm reading this on the wrong end, and you are saying that WVU WAS NOT a consistent top 10 team. Or as I took it, you were saying that WVU will not be a consistent top 10 team in the future.

I am not getting flustered. Changing one word such as consistent changes everything. Honestly, you are arguing nothing and it is rediculous.

WVU is not a consistent top 10 team right now based on the past. Dont you get what I am saying? Why are you getting so touchy and trying to make it seem as if I am trying to predict the future?

Ill say this once more. In regards to the past WVU teams, from the beginning to end, they are not a consistent top 10 team. If you look at the last 10, 20, 30, 40, etc you will find them falling in the 20-25 range every time, if not on the lower end around 30.

Quit trying to say im looking into the future, I am not here. Once again, if you can find where I said WVU, will or wont be anything in the future let me know. Cause its not in there. Heck, Ive used past tense pretty much the whole time here. I dont know how to be any more clearer.

I'm not getting touchy. I'm trying to figure out what you were saying and what you ment bye your statements. It could have been taken many different ways

It could have ment that WVU was not a consistent top 10 team in the past, or it could have ment WVU will not be a consistent top 10 team in the future. But now that I know you were talking about the past, the topic is dead.

No worries my friend, just trying to figure out what you ment.

And on that note, I need a dip

Edited by bluefieldRocks

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I don't think anyone said that everyone and their mom wanted to come to WVU. Your being silly. The sudden success will actually bring in many recruits. You know playing in bowl games and winning them does help.

But, there are many other factors in bringing in recruits, and one of those is tradition. While I agree WVU is seeing better recruits (I have to go on what you are saying, I never follow recruiting except formerly UNC basketball) and a lot of that is from sudden success. But what I am trying to relay with my talks with Rocks is that WVU doesnt have that top 10 tradition such as Penn St., Florida, Bama, Oklahoma, Texas, Notre Dame, LSU, Ohio State, and even Michigan.

Sure WVU has sudden success and an average top 25 team, but they cant compete with the tradition of the schools listed above. They have more pull. And yes, every kid is different, and wants different things.

WVU wont truly become a consistent top 10 team for years to come, and that probably consists of winning a championship and more years like the 2005-07 years, which seem to be an anomaly compared to the past.

Once again, Im not trying to argue whether or not WVU is good or bad, just giving some common ground. And everything Ive posted has been from what I have tried to keep as a unbiased perspective. If it helps, VT is in a very similar situation.

But, there are many other factors in bringing in recruits, and one of those is tradition. While I agree WVU is seeing better recruits (I have to go on what you are saying, I never follow recruiting except formerly UNC basketball) and a lot of that is from sudden success. But what I am trying to relay with my talks with Rocks is that WVU doesnt have that top 10 tradition such as Penn St., Florida, Bama, Oklahoma, Texas, Notre Dame, LSU, Ohio State, and even Michigan.

Sure WVU has sudden success and an average top 25 team, but they cant compete with the tradition of the schools listed above. They have more pull. And yes, every kid is different, and wants different things.

WVU wont truly become a consistent top 10 team for years to come, and that probably consists of winning a championship and more years like the 2005-07 years, which seem to be an anomaly compared to the past.

Once again, Im not trying to argue whether or not WVU is good or bad, just giving some common ground. And everything Ive posted has been from what I have tried to keep as a unbiased perspective. If it helps, VT is in a very similar situation.

I agree with you, I am just saying that money's comment about eveyone and their mother wanting to come to wvu is just silly. There are tons of reasons why a recruit decides to go here or there. I wish them all luck, but his argument was weak at best.

Our defense has been really good the past couple years and we have a great D coordinator. So his recent success with the D is bringing in a higher level of recruits.

I don't know if I would call them "very good." Most of the teams they played against were ranked in the 80's or lower in total offense over the last two years.

Guest JJBrickface
There was a spurt this past season where our Defense didnt give up any second half points in like 4 games in a row... But I wouldnt call our D very good either.

I don't think our D has been legit since 05 when Lorello was a senior

I disagree, I think the 07 defense was better than 05's.

btw, what are you dipping?

Fieldgeneral, my team is LSU. We win games in a real conference. We are one of two teams to win 2 BCS championships, the other being Florida, another SEC school. We also have the #1 recruiting class this year and have been tops in that category in many years past.

And sure, USF and UCONN are competitive teams in their horendous conference, (and though I did fail to mention PSU, which was stupid of me) playing at those evironments I did list would be more appealing than those of the BE.

What I was saying was, just because WVU has had recent success doesn't mean every recruit should come to WVU first and never, ever think of another school; most WVU fans are making it out that way. Like with Redman, a player who had offers from Marshall and Ohio as a junior yet takes an invite to walk-on at a school that has shown very little interest in him though his high school years...and he is a linebacker entering a team with plenty of depth at that position, as said by many here. I didn't know Carter chose WVU over family reasons so I was just listing possible reasons for his choosing such school over the blessed WVU.

As I said, recruits choose one school over another for plenty of reasons.

Fieldgeneral, my team is LSU. We win games in a real conference. We are one of two teams to win 2 BCS championships, the other being Florida, another SEC school. We also have the #1 recruiting class this year and have been tops in that category in many years past.

And sure, USF and UCONN are competitive teams in their horendous conference, (and though I did fail to mention PSU, which was stupid of me) playing at those evironments I did list would be more appealing than those of the BE.

What I was saying was, just because WVU has had recent success doesn't mean every recruit should come to WVU first and never, ever think of another school; most WVU fans are making it out that way. Like with Redman, a player who had offers from Marshall and Ohio as a junior yet takes an invite to walk-on at a school that has shown very little interest in him though his high school years...and he is a linebacker entering a team with plenty of depth at that position, as said by many here. I didn't know Carter chose WVU over family reasons so I was just listing possible reasons for his choosing such school over the blessed WVU.

As I said, recruits choose one school over another for plenty of reasons.

I thought you were a Pac 10 fan? Didn't you have an Oregon logo for an avatar in the not to distant past?

Saw where Matt Muncy is listed as a TE/FB at Wake, little suprised bout the FB part but I think he would be a solid TE.. Did anyone else from the local area sign anywhere?? Im not around SWVA now so I haven't heard..

The 6'9" kid from Craig County signed with Marshall today. He is the first ever D1A signee from Craig County for football.

You wouldn't be bandwagoning, would you?

Especially considering we live 1000 miles from LA.

whoever wins the national championship is who I am going to like this year...by the way I am no longer a raider fan I switched to the steelers. just makes more sense it will make my life easier...ok not really

He actually has a point, and in fact Minnesota is only 40 games behind WVU, and 2 percentage points behind WVU's all time winning percentage of 59%. WVU also has one less double digit win seasons in the last 4 years than accumulated in the 100+ years before.

The 15th in the country stat is somewhat misleading because of the WVU playing more games than many institutions. They are surrounded by Cuse and Colorado, if that shows you anything.

WVU on average runs a 7-5 record according to stats, and with a 10+ win season occuring once every 15 years on average, the recent success has elevated WVU to a new high.

Basically the point of this post is to show WVU is a normal top 25 team, ranking 24th in win percentage. I would consider that successful. However, the past 4 years, more so the past 3 after this one have been very successful. If WVU thinks they are a consistent top 10 team, they are wrong. However, if they consider themselves a consistent Top 20-25 team with seasons above and below that that would be statistically accurate.

For all those who I am sure are wondering, VT is 21.(Which I see is very accurate) Michigan is 1.

Sorry to hijack it, but resume talks of recruits. I found a few pretty cool sites and nice info and wanted to share.

but syracuse has tradition, while you were growing up it has just faltered, I understand why you are fans of certain teams because they are good while you are growing up or parents/family are influences on you. I am a life long fan of the eers i have seen the good, the bad , and the ugly. Teams like syracuse are going through the ugly, but they have some outstanding tradition, even though I dislike them.

I've always liked LSU, since I was around 4 or 5 years old, about the time I started getting really into sports. I've liked Miami since about that same time because they are close to where I grew up and I've had a thing for Oregon because at one point Harrington was my favorite football player and I liked their uniforms. Being colorblind, something really stood out about them haha.

I am not a bandwagon fan. If I were, I would have traded in my Miami smoke for a Gator chomp, but that will never, ever happen...however I do love to watch Tim Tebow. If I were a bandwagon fan, I wouldn't still be rocking my purple LSU hoodie or my yellow LSU shirt, that I've had since the 7th grade (and yes, it still fits). I have ties to Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, and Alabama, so I go for those teams on occasion (more so Wake) but neither of those teams have anything on my fanhood for the Bayou Bengals or The U.