Signing Day!!!

wvuraiders

Fieldgeneral, my team is LSU. We win games in a real conference. We are one of two teams to win 2 BCS championships, the other being Florida, another SEC school. We also have the #1 recruiting class this year and have been tops in that category in many years past.

And sure, USF and UCONN are competitive teams in their horendous conference, (and though I did fail to mention PSU, which was stupid of me) playing at those evironments I did list would be more appealing than those of the BE.

What I was saying was, just because WVU has had recent success doesn't mean every recruit should come to WVU first and never, ever think of another school; most WVU fans are making it out that way. Like with Redman, a player who had offers from Marshall and Ohio as a junior yet takes an invite to walk-on at a school that has shown very little interest in him though his high school years...and he is a linebacker entering a team with plenty of depth at that position, as said by many here. I didn't know Carter chose WVU over family reasons so I was just listing possible reasons for his choosing such school over the blessed WVU.

As I said, recruits choose one school over another for plenty of reasons.

Congrats on that 3-5 conference record and beating Auburn by 5, Miss. St. by a whopping 10 and the great Gamecocks by 7. Winning 3 by 22 over the conferences not so elite. Auburn is usually a good team and had a decent D this year, however their O was awful. WVU blew them out of the water, LSU squeaked by. I know the BE was down this year so need to start posting our stats, I already know them. I'm just simply proving LSU wasn't all that for you to trash WVU and the BE as you have. Are you trashing UTAH too? They should have the 2009 National Championship if not at least a shot to win it.

Oh and on LSU's championships, 2003 beat Oklahoma 21-14 USC was voted #1 in the AP and last year's was over an overrated ZERO state university. Granted a championship is a championship, but just two reasons why we need a playoff and I'd almost bet that at least one if not both would have not happened.

I had a good chuckle at your expense reading all these previous posts.

A REAL fan is one who is diehard for their team. Someone who doesn't vary in their "favortie." I admire and respect several teams, but you won't catch me with an Oregon avatar, talking about how I am for Florida because I used to hate them but now I know some of the boys really well and want them to do well, or whatever other team is doing well at the time. It's easy to say your team is the best when you claim the champ to be your team. Anyway, maybe it's an age thing, maybe kids today just have to be a winner. I bet your sporting some blue and orange and wearing eye black with "John 3:16" on them now.

A real conference huh? Tell that to the Big XII, ACC, and SEC. Those 3 "great" conferences have fallen victim to the measley Big East WVU teams in the past few years. I'm referring to the bowls games, two of which were BCS games. The Big XII champ and the SEC champ both took one on the chin that year in Big East fashion.

I agree that the level of BE play this past year was down, all teams lost some major firepower on one side of the bowl or both. The Big East is reloading, don't worry. Yes the SEC is the best conference, but I think that the PAC 10 except USC / Oregon and the Big XII is over rated. Save your breath on telling me why they aren't.

As far as recruiting, sure a recruit may want to go play on a field twice in their four year career, but to me I would rather play where I have a shot at making plays in a BCS game, something Minnesota isn't going to play in. Feel free to let me know when they do.

It's not the fact that anyone said everyone wanted to come to WVU and noone said that they should. I think WVURAIDERs was commenting on the great class and that we lost out on only one player because we replaced the loss of Boyd. The fact that you chose to just talk crap is the reason I gave you some reading material.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on that 3-5 conference record and beating Auburn by 5, Miss. St. by a whopping 10 and the great Gamecocks by 7. Winning 3 by 22 over the conferences not so elite.

You are trying to put down a team this year after they have won TWO BCS championship games since 2003 and discredit those championships?????? Dude, stop now.

Edited by bhs7695

I've always liked LSU, since I was around 4 or 5 years old, about the time I started getting really into sports. I've liked Miami since about that same time because they are close to where I grew up and I've had a thing for Oregon because at one point Harrington was my favorite football player and I liked their uniforms. Being colorblind, something really stood out about them haha.

I am not a bandwagon fan. If I were, I would have traded in my Miami smoke for a Gator chomp, but that will never, ever happen...however I do love to watch Tim Tebow. If I were a bandwagon fan, I wouldn't still be rocking my purple LSU hoodie or my yellow LSU shirt, that I've had since the 7th grade (and yes, it still fits). I have ties to Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, and Alabama, so I go for those teams on occasion (more so Wake) but neither of those teams have anything on my fanhood for the Bayou Bengals or The U.

According to Bill Simmons' holy grail of sports fandom books, you're allowed to have exactly 1 favorite D-IA school. Namely, on the chance that Miami-LSU play each other, you'll feel conflicted on who to cheer for. By those same rules, you all but lose the fancard if you play the "I can't lose" game when they both play. Also, by these rules, if you root for a school that's been wildly successful in the past decade, you really need to have had ties to that place.

For example, I have a friend who grew up not 2 blocks from the campus of UCLA. He went to UVA, and thereby traded in his fandom for UVA fandom. That's how it works.

And that's why I give people a very hard time when they cheer for the Hokies in football and then cheer for UNC/Dook in basketball. BIG no-no in the book of fandom.

According to Bill Simmons' holy grail of sports fandom books, you're allowed to have exactly 1 favorite D-IA school. Namely, on the chance that Miami-LSU play each other, you'll feel conflicted on who to cheer for. By those same rules, you all but lose the fancard if you play the "I can't lose" game when they both play. Also, by these rules, if you root for a school that's been wildly successful in the past decade, you really need to have had ties to that place.

For example, I have a friend who grew up not 2 blocks from the campus of UCLA. He went to UVA, and thereby traded in his fandom for UVA fandom. That's how it works.

And that's why I give people a very hard time when they cheer for the Hokies in football and then cheer for UNC/Dook in basketball. BIG no-no in the book of fandom.

When Miami and LSU played each other in the 2006 Chik Fil A bowl, I went for LSU haha

for once

You are trying to put down a team this year after they have won TWO BCS championship games since 2003 and discredit those championships?????? Dude, stop now.

taking out a tiny portion of what I typed. I acknowledged that they won. I like LSU and know they are successful and play in the toughest conference in college football.

I'm just showing take money money take money money, that his trashing of the BE and WVU was as silly as me trying to make sense of saying LSU 's titles were not good enough or whatever. I rooted for LSU to win both of those games and hated to see Saban leave for Miami. I just thought his mouthing was pretty silly along with knocking every team except those that are winning which seems to be his fav at the time.

Yes they had a bad year! I would blame alot of it on the loss of perilloux and other things like the loss of their D coordinator to a HC job. We all have down years except USC LOL. I don't go trashing the SEC when it happens.

When Miami and LSU played each other in the 2006 Chik Fil A bowl, I went for LSU haha

2006 was VT vs. UGA

2005 was the game you speak of.

A true fan knows that or at least looks it up. Just playing.

haha? If the U would have won, you would have been for them too.

I have to agree with UVAOBSERVER here. One team and one team only.

I don't call myself a true fan of any NFL team. I love watching NFL and follow several of my fav. college athletes, but I don't really claim a team. I grew up watching cinci and pitt because they were always on our TV. I followed the cowgirls in jr. high because they were the team and I loved Aikman and Smith along with that OLINE. I loved watching and following Favre. I don't claim I am a true fan of a team, because I am not. At least I admit.

You can't trash the SEC because it is year in and year out the best conference in college football. Anyone can trash the BE because it is awful. Well, not anyone can trash it, because WVU fans seem to think it is just as competitive as anything. Why would you trash the entire SEC when LSU had a bad year? That is just one team in tough situations playing in the most competitive conference.

As for saying my favorite team is the team that wins, I wear my LSU and Miami gear all year long. LSU having a rough year this year and Miami being down the last three, I have yet to steer from them. Funny saying LSU having a rough year; a bad conference record in the SEC nearly wins any other conference, especially the beloved BE. You can definitely blame the poor record of LSU on not having stable quarterback play, losing the D-coordinator, add playing quality competition week in and week out.

You make it out like im trashing the BE because teams had a bad year in it. I bash the Big East all the time...they dont need everyone to lose every game for me to bash it.

2006 was VT vs. UGA

QUOTE]

Excuse me for pressing one number ever-so-slightly to the right of my desired five. And no, I wouldn't have been for Miami had they won. Sure, I would have been happy, but it was hard enough to pick LSU over Miami in that game. If you want, I can give you the phone number to my diehard Cane fan best friend who fought with me that night over who was going to win. Needless to say, after LSU went on a scoring and defensive rampage after the Miami field goal, it wasn't much of a fight between he and I.

Edited by GetMoney55

taking out a tiny portion of what I typed. I acknowledged that they won. I like LSU and know they are successful and play in the toughest conference in college football.

I'm just showing take money money take money money, that his trashing of the BE and WVU was as silly as me trying to make sense of saying LSU 's titles were not good enough or whatever. I rooted for LSU to win both of those games and hated to see Saban leave for Miami. I just thought his mouthing was pretty silly along with knocking every team except those that are winning which seems to be his fav at the time.

Yes they had a bad year! I would blame alot of it on the loss of perilloux and other things like the loss of their D coordinator to a HC job. We all have down years except USC LOL. I don't go trashing the SEC when it happens.

Amazing how you attack one fan's team and then you back track and say how you were pulling for them in this situation or that situation and then talk about how much you admire their coach and you were rooting for them.

IMO, Saban is a dirty coach and a coward. I loved seeing him walk off the field after the Utah loss. He should have stayed in the NFL. He is no better then Bobby Petrino.

I give my girlfriend a hard time over this. She is a VT grad and is die hard for them in anything sports related, but she's also a UNC basketball fan! I told her: "How in the hell is that possible?" Most VT grads I knew hated UNC almost as much as UVA or WVU!

Post of the CENTURY. I am definitely quick to question one's fanhood. And sweet Simmons reference. I always read his stuff and listen to his podcasts.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
I have to agree with UVAOBSERVER here. One team and one team only.

Oh really?

Let's go Heels!

I enjoy watching the Carolina Blue destroy others on the court....

How about those HEELS! Carolina pulled out the win vs. OSU without their floor leader. UNC will be in the final four.

I have grown up watching WVU everything.....I've also grown up watching UNC. I love watching the heels. I loved watching MJ play. I support both.

Unc....ok I like the heels...

Sorry Fieldgeneral/Schmitt, you fell victim to one boring Biology class.

I call B.S. on this whole book of fandom deal. I'm not saying that I disagree with all of your points, Observer, because if there is any sports fan in the world I hate more than anyone, it's a bandwagon fan. I think that there are some very strong cases that can be brought about to completely disprove Bill Simmons and his work.

Academics, for instance, would be crucial. Some schools out there are extremely competitive and not everyone who applies will be accepted. Hypothetically speaking, Observer, you'll have a baby boy in a few years and you'll groom him to be one of the biggest UVA fans to walk the Earth. Lets say he wants to follow his daddy's footsteps and go to school in Charlottesville, but as he grows up, he doesn't exactly turn out the be a chip off the ol' block, so to speak. He does very well in his classes throughout high school but doesn't perform too well on his college entrance exams, and ultimately gets denied from his top college choice. He then has to "settle" for JMU. Is he supposed to all of the sudden stop being a UVA fan?

Or vthokies4life, how about this one. You grow up in Roanoke (just an example) and are born and bred a Hokie. You come home from school one day as a teenager and your father tells you some big news. He just took a great transfer job in Dallas and you all are moving to Texas next month. So you move to your new school and state, you're the biggest VT fan in Texas, and before you know it, it's time to apply to college. You look at Virginia Tech and you're now considered an out-of-state resident when it comes to applying for admission. Is $30,000.00 a year worth it and/or doable for you and your family? You can go to UT, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, etc. for less than half of that. Are you going to all of a sudden stop cheering for the Hokies and be a Texas fan?

These are just a few scenarios that came to me right off the top of my head, and I'm sure that there are many more. My main point is that whether or not there are direct ties between you and a university doesn't mean you can't wholeheartedly love them. I've personally had many ties to Virginia Tech and although I could probably throw a rock across the Virginia state line, I didn't choose to go there because of the price. I applied, got accepted, and could afford to attend Tech, but I just decided that an extra $100,000+ for a bachelors degree from there, that will in all likelihood just be a stepping stone into another graduate/professional school wasn't worth it to me. I don't attend school there and chances are I'll never attend school there, but I'll guarantee you that I know and care just as much, if not more about that university than almost any other student that goes there does.

And honestly, if I had the opportunity to attend college anywhere in the country it wouldn't be in Blacksburg (that would be #2! ;) ). I would be in Chapel Hill right now as I type this. I didn't even apply to UNC because I knew that I wouldn't get in. I've visited the campus and attended basketball games there many times throughout my life and I don't think there is a more beautiful campus in this country than that one. I hopped on the UNC bandwagon when I figured out what basketball was. I was on the bandwagon when they won the titles in 1993 and 2005, and I was on the bandwagon when they went 8-20 for their first losing season in almost 50 years. As much as the wins and losses in Carolina mean to me, they are very minute when it comes to the actual beauty and tradition of UNC.

So in conclusion, Bill Simmons can question my "fandom" all he wants to because what it all boils down to is he is just another northerner who sold his soul to Boston, and is just a typical fan who has soaked in all the success of the Patriots, Celtics, Red Sox, Bruins, etc., which is completely fine in my opinion. I would just challenge him to find another UNC and/or VT fan to come in and question my "fanhood" so I could prove to them that I know just as much, if not more about what is going on with their own team. This isn't always the case 100% of the time, but most of the time I would rather have 50 true fans who do/don't have direct ties than 100 "fans" who went to school there.

Edit: Also, just because I like both schools doesn't mean that I'm a Virginia Tech football fan and a Carolina basketball fan. I pull for both schools in ALL sports, have attended random sporting events for both universities, and now that they are in the ACC and must face each other regularly, I choose the one who has the most to play for at that current point in the season.

Edited by hokie07

Guest JJBrickface

I can't speak for anyone else but I know for me that its WVU all the time, I couldn't imagine rooting for another Division 1 school. Heck, I'd be a fan of the WVU tiddly winks team if they had won.

I can't speak for anyone else but I know for me that its WVU all the time, I couldn't imagine rooting for another Division 1 school. Heck, I'd be a fan of the WVU tiddly winks team if they had won.

I love WVU too... WVU football is by far the best thing to watch live...

I like Duke basketball, but I found out who I liked and had more loyalty to when Duke played WVU last year in the NCAA tourney...and that was WVU

Guest BEAVERTAIL
I call B.S. on this whole book of fandom deal. I'm not saying that I disagree with all of your points, Observer, because if there is any sports fan in the world I hate more than anyone, it's a bandwagon fan. I think that there are some very strong cases that can be brought about to completely disprove Bill Simmons and his work.

Academics, for instance, would be crucial. Some schools out there are extremely competitive and not everyone who applies will be accepted. Hypothetically speaking, Observer, you'll have a baby boy in a few years and you'll groom him to be one of the biggest UVA fans to walk to Earth. Lets say he wants to follow his daddy's footsteps and go to school in Charlottesville, but as he grows up, he doesn't exactly turn out the be a chip off the ol' block, so to speak. He does very well in his classes throughout high school but doesn't perform too well on his college entrance exams, and ultimately gets denied from his top college choice. He then has to "settle" for JMU. Is he supposed to all of the sudden stop being a UVA fan?

Or vthokies4life, how about this one. You grow up in Roanoke (just an example) and are born and bred a Hokie. You come home from school one day as a teenager and your father tells you some big news. He just took a great transfer job in Dallas and you all are moving to Texas next month. So you move to your new school and state, you're the biggest VT fan in Texas, and before you know it, it's time to apply to college. You look at Virginia Tech and you're now considered an out-of-state resident when it comes to applying for admission. Is $30,000.00 a year worth it and/or doable for you and your family? You can go to UT, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, etc. for less than half of that. Are you going to all of a sudden stop cheering for the Hokies and be a Texas fan?

These are just a few scenarios that came to me right off the top of my head, and I'm sure that there are many more. My main point is that whether or not there are direct ties between you and a university doesn't mean you can't wholeheartedly love them. I've personally had many ties to Virginia Tech and although I could probably throw a rock across the Virginia state line, I didn't choose to go there because of the price. I applied, got accepted, and could afford to attend Tech, but I just decided that an extra $100,000+ for a bachelors degree from there, that will in all likelihood just be a stepping stone into another graduate/professional school wasn't worth it to me. I don't attend school there and chances are I'll never attend school there, but I'll guarantee you that I know and care just as much, if not more about that university than almost any other student that goes there does.

And honestly, if I had the opportunity to attend college anywhere in the country it wouldn't be in Blacksburg (that would be #2! ;) ). I would be in Chapel Hill right now as I type this. I didn't even apply to UNC because I knew that I wouldn't get in. I've visited the campus and attended basketball games there many times throughout my life and I don't think there is a more beautiful campus in this country than that one. I hopped on the UNC bandwagon when I figured out what basketball was. I was on the bandwagon when they won the titles in 1993 and 2005, and I was on the bandwagon when they went 8-20 for their first losing season in almost 50 years. As much as the wins and losses in Carolina mean to me, they are very minute when it comes to the actual beauty and tradition of UNC.

So in conclusion, Bill Simmons can question my "fandom" all he wants to because what it all boils down to is he is just another northerner who sold his soul to Boston, and is just a typical fan who has soaked in all the success of the Patriots, Celtics, Red Sox, Bruins, etc., which is completely fine in my opinion. I would just challenge him to find another UNC and/or VT fan to come in and question my "fanhood" so I could prove to them that I know just as much, if not more about what is going on with their own team. This isn't always the case 100% of the time, but most of the time I would rather have 50 true fans who do/don't have direct ties than 100 "fans" who went to school there.

Post of the Day.

Hokie and I are in the same boat, we would love to go to either one of these schools, but finances just wouldnt allow it. Honestly, I never even knew that colleges actually cost that much till I was a senior in HS.

But in the end, Im going to school, living away from home for free and you cant beat that. It was either pay 120,000 bucks to go to VT and secure my fandom, or go to school at Concord and get free food lol. Ill take the free food.

I too like Duke in basketball. I got it from my dad growing up watching college basketball. However, when it came time for Glenn Davis and Tyrus Thomas to play against Duke in the Elite 8 of the 2006 NCAA Tournament, I was without a doubt going for LSU.

And Hokie and Rocks, speaking of that NCAA Tournament, I remember bringing by bracket to school one day in order to prove to the one and only JB Dobbins that I had George Mason and LSU in my final four hahaha

Oh really?

Sorry Fieldgeneral/Schmitt, you fell victim to one boring Biology class.

You have got to be bored to death for 1 a to remember that convo and 2 to go find it. LOL, good research though.

However, I did grow up watching it and I do like to watch them play. I never claimed them to be my team. I'm WVU all the way, however I followed UNC because of my favorite NBA player.....MJ. If I was old enough, it would have been Mr. West, but I never got to see him play.

I'm sure a lot of that convo was last year and I was being ridiculed for being opinionated, which is cool except for the junk that went on. I don't deny being a carolina watcher. I hope they win unless playing WVU. I can also say that I've not followed UNC closely for years now. I'll watch them if they are on, mainly the UNC v DUKE rivalry. It is the best rivalry in basketball. You have to choose sides in that one, it's like the civil war.

I never claimed them as my team ever. At one point in time, WVU was awful and I watched every game that came on woay tv 4 in my bedroom and watched as I played and pretended to be them as a kid. I can say that no matter what, WVU is my team and the BE is my conference....period.

Was there no hot chicks in class today?

2006 was VT vs. UGA

QUOTE]

Excuse me for pressing one number ever-so-slightly to the right of my desired five. And no, I wouldn't have been for Miami had they won. Sure, I would have been happy, but it was hard enough to pick LSU over Miami in that game. If you want, I can give you the phone number to my diehard Cane fan best friend who fought with me that night over who was going to win. Needless to say, after LSU went on a scoring and defensive rampage after the Miami field goal, it wasn't much of a fight between he and I.

LOL you are forgiven...just thought I'd let you know what year it was in case it popped up on LSU Tigeropoly this weekend. j/k.

No need to talk to your buddy ...it's fun to be against a friend in a sporting event.

You can't trash the SEC because it is year in and year out the best conference in college football. Anyone can trash the BE because it is awful. Well, not anyone can trash it, because WVU fans seem to think it is just as competitive as anything. Why would you trash the entire SEC when LSU had a bad year? That is just one team in tough situations playing in the most competitive conference.

As for saying my favorite team is the team that wins, I wear my LSU and Miami gear all year long. LSU having a rough year this year and Miami being down the last three, I have yet to steer from them. Funny saying LSU having a rough year; a bad conference record in the SEC nearly wins any other conference, especially the beloved BE. You can definitely blame the poor record of LSU on not having stable quarterback play, losing the D-coordinator, add playing quality competition week in and week out.

You make it out like im trashing the BE because teams had a bad year in it. I bash the Big East all the time...they dont need everyone to lose every game for me to bash it.

I never denied that the SEC was the best conference in football. They are! I just gave you some thoughts on how great LSU was this season. I'm sure it will change especially with that recruiting class. I'm also sure that the BE will be competitive in and out of conference again next year or soon as they were year before last. The conference can't helped it got raped by the ACC and still the BE came out on top.

Hey money.......who has the best basketball conference? Just curious of your opinion.