Gun guru's...whats the deal?

Lance

Ok...I gotta admit I am lost on this one...

The guy they arrested yesterday with a rifle trying to make a "delivery" to Obama was charged with this:

Sgt. Kimberly Schneider identified the man as Alfred Brock, 64, of Winnfield, Louisiana. She said Brock was charged with possession of an unregistered firearm and unregistered ammunition.

What is unregistered ammunition? I've never heard of this before? Is this one of those BS "add on" type things that they throw in there to get someone an additional 5+ years on a conviction or what?

Man arrested with rifle said he had delivery for Obama

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Police arrested a man near the U.S. Capitol on Tuesday after he drove up to one of the building's barricades with a rifle in his vehicle and told officers that he had a delivery for President Obama, a Senate spokesman said.

A man drove to the Capitol with a rifle and said he had a delivery for President Obama, police said.

A man drove to the Capitol with a rifle and said he had a delivery for President Obama, police said.

Sgt. Kimberly Schneider identified the man as Alfred Brock, 64, of Winnfield, Louisiana. She said Brock was charged with possession of an unregistered firearm and unregistered ammunition.

Brock drove up to the north barricade at the Capitol late Tuesday afternoon, saying he had a delivery for the president, Schneider said.

After further questioning, he admitted he had a rifle in his truck. He was arrested and taken to police headquarters for processing, she said.

A search of his truck turned up several rounds of ammunition, Schneider said. Police also checked the area around the barricade, but found nothing hazardous.

Threats against Obama have led to arrests in previous cases.

In one, federal prosecutors concluded that three people arrested with drugs and weapons in a suburban Denver, Colorado, motel posed a "true threat" to Obama during the Democratic National Convention.

In the second, a Florida man was charged with threatening bodily harm against the then-candidate in August. He has pleaded not guilty.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/10/obama.threat/index.html?section=cnn_latest

I also found this article of a similar event that happened at the Capitol last year. In this instance the man was charged with unregistered ammunition as well.

Maybe you could call the number at the bottom of the article and ask them. lol

Man Arrested With Rifle, Ammunition, Grenade on Capitol Hill

At approximately 10:45 a.m. on September 5, 2008, a man drove up to a U.S. Capitol Police Officer at 2nd & Independence Ave., SE and began to ask the officer for directions. The officer observed a rifle case in the vehicle with a rifle inside of it.

A perimeter was immediately established with several temporary street closures in the immediate area. The subject was arrested and transported to Capitol Police HQ for processing. He was the only person in the vehicle, a Jeep Cherokee.

Officers performed a thorough search of the vehicle that spanned several hours and discovered a rifle, a grenade that was not inert, a pistol, ammunition, magazines with ammunition in them, and several other items of concern to the police.

The area was cleared with negative results at approximately 3:30 p.m., and all streets were re-opened to vehicular & pedestrian traffic.

The following agencies assisted the U.S. Capitol Police in this investigation: ATF, FBI/JTTF, MPD, DC FIRE & EMS, LOC.

Arrested was Christopher Shelton Timmons, 27 years old, charged with CDW – Gun; Unregistered Firearm; Unregistered Ammunition.

If there are any questions about these events or security procedures, you may contact the United States Capitol Police Public Information Office at 202-224-1677.

http://www.uscapitolpolice.gov/pressreleases/2008/pr_09-05-08.php

Ok...I gotta admit I am lost on this one...

The guy they arrested yesterday with a rifle trying to make a "delivery" to Obama was charged with this:

What is unregistered ammunition? I've never heard of this before? Is this one of those BS "add on" type things that they throw in there to get someone an additional 5+ years on a conviction or what?

I am largely unfamiliar with Louisiana's laws regarding unregistered firearms, largely due to a lack of exposure to Louisiana law, than anything else. However, some ammunition does have to be registered, namely grenades, magazines of bullets, high-powered ammunition of a certain powerage, etc. If this guy is getting charged with unregistered ammunition, this guy was packing heat with an intent to do more than just "go hunting".

There is the chance they're just piling on charges based simply on the proximity to Obama. But I think the chances are better than not that this is not the case.

I am largely unfamiliar with Louisiana's laws regarding unregistered firearms, largely due to a lack of exposure to Louisiana law, than anything else. However, some ammunition does have to be registered, namely grenades, magazines of bullets, high-powered ammunition of a certain powerage, etc. If this guy is getting charged with unregistered ammunition, this guy was packing heat with an intent to do more than just "go hunting".

There is the chance they're just piling on charges based simply on the proximity to Obama. But I think the chances are better than not that this is not the case.

What does Louisiana law have to do with it...would it not be under D.C. law?

Here is some information I found about proposed legislation that could require all ammunition be registered upon purchasing, but I haven't found anything that says that this bill has passed in any state.

http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Technology.htm

Bullet Identification Technology: A modern crime fighting tool

Bullet identification technology, known as an ammunition coding technology, has been developed and will provide law enforcement with modern crime fighting tools. Ammunition coding technology assigns a unique code to every round of ammunition manufactured, and by recording sales records, law enforcement personnel will be able to easily trace the ammunition involved in a crime and have an avenue to pursue and solve even the most difficult cases.

The unique code is micro-laser engraved on factory-produced ammunition. This laser engraving is etched on both the projectile and the inside of the cartridge casing.

Each code will be common to a single box of cartridges and unique from all other ammunition sold. The unique ammunition codes will be tracked and records maintained to identify individual ammunition purchases. The ammunition coding technology will provide a method for law enforcement personnel to trace ammunition purchases and link bullets and cartridge cases found at crime scenes to the initial retail ammunition purchaser.

This system will not necessarily prove who pulled the trigger, but it will provide law enforcement with a valuable lead and a starting point to quickly begin their investigations.

The design of the ammunition coding technology laser engraving system will allow law enforcement personnel to identify the bullet code in cases where as little as 20% of the bullet base remains intact after recovery. Since bullets are designed to keep the base solid and in its original configuration, the likelihood of ammunition codes remaining legible after recovery is very high. Law enforcement testing has already shown a 99% success rate in identifying the ammunition code after bullet recovery.

Benefits of Ammunition Coding Technology for Law Enforcement

Does not require any special training or equipment for law enforcement officials.

Micro-laser engraved bullet and cartridge-case code provides timely and efficient identification by simply using a good magnifying glass.

Eliminates subjectivity in identifying the buyer of the round. In many cases a bullet trace can be initiated at the crime scene.

Code is identifiable in cases where as little as 20% of the base of the bullet is recovered.

Implementation of the Ammunition Coding Technology

The implementation of the ammunition coding technology will require legislation to establish an ammunition sale database. In those states that have already developed and implemented bar-coding systems that include driver's licenses and other forms of identification, the integration of a database system to record ammunition sales will be relatively simple and inexpensive to implement.

How will ammunition coding technology work?

A unique ammunition code will be assigned to each box of new ammunition. Most major ammunition manufacturers already use bar-coding for inventory control and management. Ammunition manufacturers will simply include the ammunition code in their current bar coding system. Ammunition retailers will scan the bar code on each box of bullets along with the purchaser's driver's license or state issued ID. The resulting electronic record would be transferred to a secure computer database that would confidentially maintain individual ammunition sales information.

What are the costs to manufacturers?

There are several well known manufacturers currently producing a significant portion of the current commercially available ammunition in the United States. Each ammunition producer would be required to purchase at least one, if not more, laser engraving machines and ammunition material handlers to produce ACS coded ammunition.

There are several manufacturers who can design and build this equipment. Reliable estimates for a complete set of engraving/material handling equipment range from $300,000 to $500,000 each. A licensing fee for each bullet sold would also be required.

However, since approximately 10 billion bullets are sold in the United States alone each year, equipment costs, once amortized over the number of bullets produced and sold are not significant.

What is the impact on retailers and consumers?

Ammunition retailers will also have some minor administrative costs. These costs, like other costs associated with doing business will most likely be passed onto the retailer purchaser.

We estimate that the entire ammunition coding process can be implemented without dramatically increasing the purchase price to the end user while maintaining an effective crime fighting system paid for almost exclusively by user fees.

How many unique codes are available?

There are 91 unique characters on a standard computer keyboard. The ammunition coding technology uses these characters in five, six, or seven columns. Typically, ammunition comes in boxes of either 50 or 20, and all bullets in a box will be coded alike. There are 12 common handgun and assault weapon calibers.

This means that ammunition coding technology can accommodate over 21 quadrillion unique bullet codes. Since it is estimated that there are approximately 10 billion bullets sold annually in the United States , and 20-30 billion bullets sold worldwide annually, the ammunition coding technology has the capacity to keep pace with the current rate of sales for decades to come.

I may have misinterpreted the article. I thought he would be charged in Louisiana. If he were in D.C. at the time of the offense, that'd be fine.

Well, the incident occurred at the U.S. Capitol. I thought you knew something about the law that I didn't (which I would expect), and he would be charged in his home state instead of in D.C., where the crime occurred.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Guys, Im 99% sure you do not have to register ammo. They have been pushing the bill and idea that BBA posted, but it is currently 0 for 18 in states. Pro-gun people everywhere are up in arms over this, and many believe the story was not reported correctly and consider it shotty journalism.

Some people believe that by trying to get a man convicted of it, they can start the process of making it a law. I dont see how that could happen.

I still say with certainty there is no law requiring you to register ammo.

Edited by BEAVERTAIL

Guys, Im 99% sure you do not have to register ammo. They have been pushing the bill and idea that BBA posted, but it is currently 0 for 18 in states. Pro-gun people everywhere are up in arms over this, and many believe the story was not reported correctly and consider it shotty journalism.

Some people believe that by trying to get a man convicted of it, they can start the process of making it a law. I dont see how that could happen.

That's the same thing I am seeing. I haven't found anywhere that the law has passed. However, I'm not sure that it is just shotty journalism...because the same charge is noted in the other article that I posted from September of last year. Unless it was a mistake both times.

Depends on your definition of "ammo".

.38 bullets?-No

12-gauge shells?-No

A magazine of semi-automatic shells?-Yes

Grenades?-Yes

And I say this myself with a high level of certainty. Although the journalism is pretty shotty.

.38 bullets?-No

12-gauge shells?-No

Grenades?-Yes

And I say this myself with a high level of certainty. Although the journalism is pretty shotty.

ok...again i'm not the most gun educated person here...but what exactly is semi-automatic shells? Aren't the guns semi-automatic and the shells are just shells?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

.38 bullets?-No

12-gauge shells?-No

Grenades?-Yes

Why would you have to register semi automatic shells? You dont have to register semi automatic weapons in almost all states (only 3-5 require you to do so)? The assault weapons ban is done and gone.

And you cant buy a magazine of semi-automatic shells, they come in a box. And even at that, every caliber has a semiautomatic weapon available. So lets say i was gonna buy some .223 for a bolt action firearm to go coyote hunting. Well technically that could be considered AR-15 ammo, which is semiautomatic. So basically, if anyone wants to try and register ammo, no matter what kind it will have to be registered. Even my 12 gauge is semiautomatic. It will never happen.

Grenades? Lets get real.

And once again, you DO NOT have to register any ammo. Some ammo is illegal in some states, such as NJ but they dont even have a registration law.

Edited by BEAVERTAIL
Thinking about the crooks who are anti-gun riled me up.

Why would you have to register semi automatic shells? You dont have to register semi automatic weapons in some states? The assault weapons ban is done and gone.

Grenades? Lets get real.

And once again, you DO NOT have to register any ammo. Some ammo is illegal in some states, such as NJ but they dont even have a registration law.

so what are semi auto shells? are these like the AK and AR rounds that are linked or what?

There is this LIBERAL PROPAGATED MYTH that shells shoot harder if shot with a semi automatic, it's the same shells and the gun shoots with the same power if one shot is fired.

Nonetheless, this registered ammo bit is something that the libs, want pushed through congress. Basically this is what Obama wants......

1. All ammo that is currently in existence would have to be removed and used up by a specific date.

2. If you are found with any after that date, it would be classified as Unregistered ammo and you would be locked up or pay a HUUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEE FINE.

3. The registered Ammo would carry serial numbers on the casing and on the box. Every purchase and every bullet could be traced to the person that made the purchase. Therefore, you would be liable if anyone used your shells in a criminal act.

4. This will cause the price of ammo to increase by as much as 500% according to some experts. This is in line with a plan that Obama tried to initiate while he was a senator.

5. If this passes it would lead to a "Cooperation with gun owners" change in Obama in which he would probably lay off for a while. The problem with this however is nobody will be able to purchase ammo so what good would their gun be anyhow.

Amazing how the minds of these liberals work.........

There is this LIBERAL PROPAGATED MYTH that shells shoot harder if shot with a semi automatic, it's the same shells and the gun shoots with the same power if one shot is fired.

Nonetheless, this registered ammo bit is something that the libs, want pushed through congress. Basically this is what Obama wants......

1. All ammo that is currently in existence would have to be removed and used up by a specific date.

2. If you are found with any after that date, it would be classified as Unregistered ammo and you would be locked up or pay a HUUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEE FINE.

3. The registered Ammo would carry serial numbers on the casing and on the box. Every purchase and every bullet could be traced to the person that made the purchase. Therefore, you would be liable if anyone used your shells in a criminal act.

4. This will cause the price of ammo to increase by as much as 500% according to some experts. This is in line with a plan that Obama tried to initiate while he was a senator.

5. If this passes it would lead to a "Cooperation with gun owners" change in Obama in which he would probably lay off for a while. The problem with this however is nobody will be able to purchase ammo so what good would their gun be anyhow.

Amazing how the minds of these liberals work.........

1. Haven't heard about this one.

2. What would be the fine? How big are we talking?

3. If someone steals your registered gun and commits a crime...are you automatically liable?

4. I think these "experts" may be a little biased. 500% to add a laser engraved serial number and to keep a registry? Doubtful.

5. Why would no one be able to buy ammo?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

First off, the plan would come close to increasing ammo prices 300% in some worst case scenarios. A box of 100 .22 rounds would run you 8-10 dollars. Most people say the price of ammo will go up 5-10 cents a round. That could make it 18-20.

Then, you pay for the registration fee. If I were to buy a handgun, any handgun no matter what the price, I would have to pay a $8 fee in VA. So lets just say there is a $5 fee, the price could be 23-25 bucks, a 300% inflation.

Secondly, we are forgetting that many people that shoot a lot, reload their own ammo. This allows for way cheaper rounds and if you are good, better accuracy and customization. I have gotten into reloading simply because I love to shoot, do it to be effective when hunting and in defense, and ammo isnt cheap. But with the bill above, reloading would be outlawed. All of the normal people I shoot with reload. Its the only way to get by in this hobby.

Lastly, how many times have we been through this with the anti-gun crowd? No criminal is gonna by registered ammo. He is gonna steal it or buy it off the black market. People who register guns, and maybe down the road ammo, dont cause crimes. I mentioned this before, but it deserves being said again. NY issued a law that all handguns had to be shot in a ballistic lab and have their ballistics recorded, so all new guns would have the ballistics on record. In the last 7 years, no one has been brought to trial for using a registered gun for a crime in NY. Thousands of guns, no crimes. Registering ammo isnt going to change that statistic among good gun owners.

Edited by BEAVERTAIL

1. Haven't heard about this one.

2. What would be the fine? How big are we talking?

3. If someone steals your registered gun and commits a crime...are you automatically liable?

4. I think these "experts" may be a little biased. 500% to add a laser engraved serial number and to keep a registry? Doubtful.

5. Why would no one be able to buy ammo?

Regarding #1 the numbers vary but the percentage of increase could be huge, Obama proposed a 500 % increase in the price of Ammo while a senator in Illinois. Adding a 5% increase to the price per round, could lead to a significant increase in the price of ammo

2. Don't know about the fine, but it could carry criminal charges

3. Probably will be out a lot of money to prove that you were not negligent, guilty until proven innocent

4. The price increase will be HUGE on ammunition. In addition do you suppose that someone may get the great idea, to file off the engraved numbers? surely nobody would be able to figure that one out...........

5. People would be able to buy ammo, it would just cost so much that the price alone would be a deterrent.

later...........

without starting to many different topics that are sort of related,

"REP. ENGEL URGES PRESIDENT OBAMA TO ENFORCE BUSH 41/CLINTON RESTRICTIONS ON IMPORTED ASSAULT WEAPONS

http://engel.house.gov | Congressman Eliot Engel

REP. ENGEL URGES PRESIDENT OBAMA TO ENFORCE BUSH 41/CLINTON RESTRICTIONS ON IMPORTED ASSAULT WEAPONS

Chairman of the House Western Hemisphere Subcommittee Leads Letter with 53 Members of Congress

Washington, D.C.––Congressman Eliot Engel, Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on the Western Hemisphere, wrote a letter signed by 53 Members of Congress urging President Obama to “return to enforcement of the law banning imports of assault weapons, which was previously enforced during the administrations of Presidents George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton.†The letter was also led by Congressman Michael Castle (R-DE) and Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY).

“The alarming prevalence of imported assault weapons in the US has put our nation’s police officers at risk. Returning to the Bush 41/Clinton enforcement of the ban on imported assault weapons will protect our brave police forces and all people throughout New York and the United States,†said Rep. Engel.

Engel added that returning to enforcement of the imported assault weapons ban is “a no-brainer that would require no legislative action.â€

In recent years, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has quietly abandoned enforcement of the import ban (which was authorized by provisions in the 1968 Gun Control Act and enforced by Presidents George H. W. Bush and Bill Clinton). As a result, the civilian firearms market is flooded with imported, inexpensive military-style assault weapons, primarily from former Eastern bloc countries including Romania, Bulgaria and the former Yugoslavia. Importers are also able to skirt the restrictions by bringing in assault weapons parts and reassembling them with a small number of US-made parts. Assault weapon “parts kits†for assembly by individuals are also being imported. ATF has further weakened the prohibition by placing certain extremely problematic assault rifles on the "curios or relics" list, making certain firearms automatically eligible for importation.

"Our failure to enforce restrictions on imported assault weapons is affecting our bilateral relationship with Mexico," said Rep. Engel. "We must do more to support our friends in Mexico whose drug war is fueled by firearms flowing south from the United States, many of which should never have entered the US in the first place.â€

5,661 people died in Mexico in 2008 alone as a result of drug-related violence. This is more than double the 2007 total of 2,773. Over 90% of firearms confiscated yearly in Mexico orginate in the United States. As Chairman of the House Western Hemisphere Subcommittee, Rep. Engel is a strong supporter of the Merida Initiative – a US-Mexico security partnership announced in late 2007. However, he also believes that the US must fulfill certain domestic obligations under the Merida Initiative, including an enhanced commitment to curb the illegal trafficking of firearms from the US into Mexico.

The full text of the letter and signatories are below:

Dear Mr. President:

We write to urge you to return to enforcement of the ban on imported assault weapons, including those that are fully manufactured abroad as well as those imported as parts, which was previously enforced during the administrations of Presidents George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton. We believe that this issue has important implications for domestic public safety, homeland security, and our bilateral relationship with Mexico.

In the last eight years, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has almost completely abrogated the ban on imported assault rifles. This ban – first established nearly 20 years ago – was authorized by provisions in the 1968 Gun Control Act allowing ATF to prohibit the importation of firearms and ammunition that are not “particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.†The import restriction is independent of the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994, and was not affected by its “sunset†in 2004.

The ban on assault weapon imports was first enforced by the George H.W. Bush Administration in response to growing threats to law enforcement personnel from the increased use of assault weapons by drug traffickers and in mass shootings, like the Stockton schoolyard massacre in 1989. The import restrictions were later strengthened in 1998 by the Clinton Administration to address foreign manufacturers that were evading the ban by making minor cosmetic changes to their weapons. The definition was changed to include any assault rifle with the "ability to accept a detachable large capacity magazine originally designed and produced for a military assault weapon.â€

Unfortunately, in recent years, ATF has quietly abandoned enforcement of the import ban. As a result, the civilian firearms market is flooded with imported, inexpensive military-style assault weapons from primarily former Eastern bloc countries including Romania, Bulgaria and the former Yugoslavia. Importers are also able to skirt the restrictions by bringing in assault weapons parts and reassembling them with a small number of US-made parts. Assault weapon “parts kits†for assembly by individuals are also being imported. ATF has further weakened the prohibition by placing certain extremely problematic assault rifles on the "curios or relics" list, making certain firearms automatically eligible for importation.

The noxious results of reversing long-established policy extend beyond our borders and are directly affecting our foreign policy. Assault weapons are being smuggled in bulk from U.S. border states to Mexico where they are used by narco-traffickers to fuel a drug war that is killing Mexican law enforcement and other officials at alarming rates.

The violence in Mexico has reached crisis proportions. In December, Mexican Attorney General Eduardo Medina Mora reported that the total number of organized crime-related homicides in 2008 had reached 5,700, more than double the previous record of approximately 2,700 set in 2007. The 2008 total includes 944 people killed in November alone, the deadliest month in Mexico’s history, in terms of drug violence. In addition, the Attorney General confirmed that nearly 15 percent of the victims of the violence were members of law enforcement or the military. He also projected that the country’s drug violence has not yet peaked, and is expected to continue during the first few months of 2009. When the Merida Initiative was announced in October 2007, the George W. Bush Administration made a commitment to “intensify efforts†to combat the trafficking of guns from the U.S. into Mexico. A return to the enforcement of the ban on the import of all assault weapons would help us to live up to this commitment.

Not only is the violence in Mexico already spilling over the border into the U.S., but the prevalence of imported assault weapons in the hands of criminals has made “officer survival†a critical issue for many urban law enforcement agencies. The Miami Police Department has reported a steep rise in the number of murders and other crimes committed with assault weapons; a Romanian WASR-10 (AK-type) assault weapon was used to kill two Fairfax, Virginia police officers in 2006; a Romanian WASR-10 assault weapon was used in a mass shooting that left eight dead at a mall in rural Omaha, Nebraska in 2007. The Associated Press conducted an analysis showing that the number of AK variants traced to crime by ATF has increased from 1,140 in 1993 to 8,547 in 2007.

These are just the sort of incidents and statistics that prompted the George H.W. Bush Administration to take action to halt assault weapons imports in 1989, and we believe demonstrate the importance of returning to enforcing the import ban once again.

We ask that you direct ATF to act in accordance with the 1968 Gun Control Act and return to enforcing the ban on the import of all assault weapons, both those that are fully manufactured abroad as well as those imported as parts. By restoring these important restrictions, we will be able to help reduce violence here in the United States, while also sending an important signal to our friends in Mexico. Thank you for your attention to this urgent matter.

Sincerely,

Eliot L. Engel (D-NY)

Michael N. Castle (R-DE)

Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY)

Gregory Meeks (D-NY)

Christopher Smith (R-NJ)

Alcee Hastings (D-FL)

Jerrold Nadler (D-NY)

Nita Lowey (D-NY)

Joseph Crowley (D-NY)

Bob Filner (D-CA)

Barbara Lee (D-CA)

Dennis Kucinich (D-OH)

Ellen Tauscher (D-CA)

Louise Slaughter (D-NY)

Bill Pascrell (D-NJ)

Marcy Kaptur (D-OH)

David Price (D-NC)

Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC)

Edward Markey (D-NA)

Chaka Fattah (D-PA)

Jim Moran (D-VA)

Robert Wexler (D-FL)

Earl Blumenauer (D-OR)

Brad Sherman (D-CA)

Jan Schakowsky (D-IL)

Gary Ackerman (D-NY)

Henry Waxman (D-CA)

Jose Serrano (D-NY)

John Conyers (D-MI)

Nydia Velazquez (D-NY)

Rosa DeLauro (D-CT)

Loretta Sanchez (D-CA)

John Olver (D-MA)

Betty McCollum (D-MN)

Rush Holt (D-NJ)

Linda Sanchez (D-CA)

Albio Sires (D-NJ)

Betty Sutton (D-OH)

Donna Christensen (D-VI)

Raul Grijalva (D-AZ)

Sam Farr (D-CA)

Jim McGovern (D-MA)

Lois Capps (D-CA)

Allyson Schwartz (D-PA)

Patrick Kennedy (D-RI)

Michael McMahon (D-NY)

Donna Edwards (D-MD)

Tim Bishop (D-NY)

Pete Stark (D-CA)

Doris Matsui (D-CA)

Zoe Lofgren (D-CA)

Paul Tonko (D-NY)

Mazie Hirono (D-HI) "

It's the democrats, all but 2 of them, don't forget, they're not out to get your religion or guns.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Why Congress Refused to Renew the Federal “Assault Weapon” Ban

A study of the ban mandated by Congress concluded, “the banned guns were never used in more than a modest fraction of all gun murders” before the ban, and the ban’s 10-round limit on new magazines wasn’t a factor in multiple-victim or multiple-wound crimes.40 A follow-up study found “gunshot injury incidents involving pistols [many of which use magazines that hold more than 10 rounds] were less likely to produce a death than those involving revolvers [which typically hold five or six rounds]” and “the average number of wounds for pistol victims was actually lower than that for revolver victims.”41 Crime reports and felon surveys showed that “assault weapons” were used in only 1-2 percent of violent crimes before the ban; 42 crime victim surveys indicated the figure was 0.25 percent.43 In the 10 years before the ban, murders committed without guns outnumbered those with “assault weapons” by about 37-to-1.44 Also, most crimes committed with such guns could be committed with other guns, and some could be committed without guns.45

Moreover, violent crime, which began decreasing three years before the ban, continued decreasing as the number of firearms, including “assault weapons” and other semi-automatics, increased. This is true whether based upon the Violence Policy Center’s proposition that virtually every semi-automatic rifle and shotgun should be considered an “assault weapon,”46 or its fall-back position, that “assault weapon” should be redefined to include not only multiple-attachment guns banned in 1994, but one-attachment guns made to comply with the ban.47

Between 1991-2006, U.S. total violent crime and murder rates decreased 38 percent and 42 percent, respectively and preliminary reports from the FBI indicate that rates dropped further in 2007.48 Meanwhile, the number of privately-owned firearms has risen by more than 75 million, about one-third of them being semi-automatics, and about 15 percent of semi-automatics being “assault weapons.”49 The number of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds rose by 50 million during the years of the ban alone, according to the ban’s House sponsor.50

Also, the ban’s 10-round limit on new ammunition magazines infringed the right of self-defense. Police officers carry multiple standard-size magazines for good reason—their protection. Other citizens have the same right to protect themselves, and the arbitrary magazine limit potentially put them at a disadvantage against criminals. The limit had other flaws too. Criminals who fire guns fire only three shots on average,51 and those that fire a greater number could defeat a magazine limit by carrying multiple magazines or multiple guns. There was no evidence to justify a limit on magazine size, let alone the arbitrary number of 10 rounds.

One can hope that Congress also objected to the truly un-American tone of the rhetorical question that the Brady Campaign repeated ad nauseum during the ban, believing that it alone shouted down any possible opposition to gun prohibition. The question, “who needs an assault weapon,?”52 was, of course, illegitimate. In America, the burden of proof is not upon those who wish to exercise rights, it is upon those who wish to restrict rights, and there is no evidence that an “assault weapon” ban reduces crime. An irrational bias against guns, mixed with an assumed sense of intellectual, social or cultural superiority to gun owners, may seem to gun control supporters like sufficient grounds to ban firearms, but such notions are insufficient in a democracy.

Excerpt from the NRA website, all claims are supported and noted. Find it here: http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=238

Didn't post a new thread as this article is about "guns"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following is excerpt from link: http://www.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/tennessee_newspaper_publishes_concealed_carry_permit_holder_list/20389/

"The National Rifle Association is up in arms over a Memphis-based newspaper’s decision to publish a list of all handgun carry permit holders in Tennessee. Legally, The Commercial Appeal can publish the data due to the state’s public records laws. However, state legislators are now discussing legislation that would make handgun carry permit information confidential. The legislation would also make publishing the information illegal."