Virginia High

Butkus

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heard they gave it to Mike Locke

Don't think so scooter! Last word out of Bristol is they did not have a coach named as of yesterday. Chris Jones was supposed to be in town for visit. If they do not hire this guy or he turns them down my understanding is that they are going to start their search all over. Someone in Bristol blacked ball Locke and Wright. The other interviewers did not like Marrs. Goin get interesting in Bristol.

sounds to me like some serious problems are about to develop if Jones doesn't take it. It is likely they will not find a good coach if this happens. It makes them look bad because they couldn't get it right the first time.

sounds to me like some serious problems are about to develop if Jones doesn't take it. It is likely they will not find a good coach if this happens. It makes them look bad because they couldn't get it right the first time.

They could have offered the job to Doug Marrs. And they still can.......

Don't think so scooter! Last word out of Bristol is they did not have a coach named as of yesterday. Chris Jones was supposed to be in town for visit. If they do not hire this guy or he turns them down my understanding is that they are going to start their search all over. Someone in Bristol blacked ball Locke and Wright. The other interviewers did not like Marrs. Goin get interesting in Bristol.

rumor on the street is locke. wright would have been a good hire, i think he is a big weight room guy. stretchin & liftin

They could have offered the job to Doug Marrs. And they still can.......

I could be wrong and have been before but what I hear from my source is that the people who did the interviewing thought he was the most arrgont and self centered jerk they had ever talked with. One made the statement that he would not have a part in hiring someone like that for the school.

Again before G-MAN jumps on me this was a quote made to me from someone in Bristol. I personally do not know Coach Marrs. I am only posting something that was told to me. My understanding is that even the AD at VHS has these kinds of thoughts about Coach Marrs. Maybe he is afraid that Coach Marrs would also take his job as AD. Someone said that Coach is Assitant Principal,AD/football coach. Is this true? I dont see how he could make more money in Bristol as Football coach only!

rumor on the street is locke. wright would have been a good hire, i think he is a big weight room guy. stretchin & liftin

If there is any truth in that Bristol School system has no job openings for teachers. Then I could see Coach Locke getting the job since he is already a teacher in their system. But my buddy down there says Mike did not do a good job in his interview and that the admin. says they want to change the culture. They are looking to shake things up. They say that things would not change because of people who have been in system for awhile. That is one thing that hurt Coach Wright was that he had worked at VHS before. They said he had ties to the old system. They want change! Where have we heard that before? Is it working for the rest of us? Hope it works out for the Bristol VHS Bearcats!

Looks like the boys in Bristol has messed things up again. Coach Jones accepts the job on Monday according to sources. Calls on Friday to say dont send the contract to me I am taking another job. Even though I told you I would be your coach and loved your community I am not a man of my word. I am taking the other job now.

All this quoted to me today by a very angry close Bristol brother!! He is furious. Said a mans word means nothing these days. I didnt hear Coach Jones accept. Bristol buddy said he accepted the job on Monday called back on friday to turn them down, this is third hand information from Bristoll, but if he did indeed accepted the job on his word and then backed out on them, I dont care what kind of football guru he is. He certainly is not a man of his word. I know a lot of people in Bristol and you guys have enough of this type in your community. You did not need another one. Better he not come then stay for a year and then run out on you! I hope you find a good coach for your program. Try a young assistant looking to become HC. HC had to get their start somewhere. Take a chance! You sure arent have any success with that proven winner theory!!! I like my buddy but I am getting tired of his tears. He even told me that his orange and black blood was starting to turn to shades of Green and White or maybe a hint of Maroon and White. In the 30 years I have know this guy that is the first that I have heard him mention sending his any of his kids to another school. John Battle or Tn High WOW! The world may really be ending!

Graham fans keep trying to give Doug Marrs to VHS. Maybe you guys can kick in some cash!

Looks like the boys in Bristol has messed things up again. Coach Jones accepts the job on Monday according to sources. Calls on Friday to say dont send the contract to me I am taking another job. Even though I told you I would be your coach and loved your community I am not a man of my word. I am taking the other job now.

All this quoted to me today by a very angry close Bristol brother!! He is furious. Said a mans word means nothing these days. I didnt hear Coach Jones accept. Bristol buddy said he accepted the job on Monday called back on friday to turn them down, this is third hand information from Bristoll, but if he did indeed accepted the job on his word and then backed out on them, I dont care what kind of football guru he is. He certainly is not a man of his word. I know a lot of people in Bristol and you guys have enough of this type in your community. You did not need another one. Better he not come then stay for a year and then run out on you! I hope you find a good coach for your program. Try a young assistant looking to become HC. HC had to get their start somewhere. Take a chance! You sure arent have any success with that proven winner theory!!! I like my buddy but I am getting tired of his tears. He even told me that his orange and black blood was starting to turn to shades of Green and White or maybe a hint of Maroon and White. In the 30 years I have know this guy that is the first that I have heard him mention sending his any of his kids to another school. John Battle or Tn High WOW! The world may really be ending!

Graham fans keep trying to give Doug Marrs to VHS. Maybe you guys can kick in some cash!

Count me in........

I've got one question...

With the way the Bristol School Board handles things, why on God's green earth would ANYONE want to work for them????

Maybe THAT'S the reason you all can't find/keep a coach....

I've got one question...

With the way the Bristol School Board handles things, why on God's green earth would ANYONE want to work for them????

Maybe THAT'S the reason you all can't find/keep a coach....

Change that you to they cant keep someone. I totally agree I have had this same conversation with my buddy. Especially the hiring process. Their whole system is screwed up! Maybe they could send their Super, AD and a teacher who has ties to Bluefield back so they could help out on the home front. Would you like them? And their Principal from Richlands who acts like a kid instead of a leader. A few of the people I know down there would like that. Kinda like some of the people up your way keeps trying to send Marrs down there. I am glad I live in between!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And my kids are not involved in needing a good coach!

Big Orange 1,

Is this the same Paul Wheeler that graduated from VH in the mid 80's?

He coached at VHS in the mid and late '80s. Led VHS to state playoffs in 1988. He has been successful everywhere he has coached. Great coach and a better person. Got more out of his players than anyone I've seen at the HS level.

I could be wrong and have been before but what I hear from my source is that the people who did the interviewing thought he was the most arrgont and self centered jerk they had ever talked with. One made the statement that he would not have a part in hiring someone like that for the school.

Again before G-MAN jumps on me this was a quote made to me from someone in Bristol. I personally do not know Coach Marrs. I am only posting something that was told to me. My understanding is that even the AD at VHS has these kinds of thoughts about Coach Marrs. Maybe he is afraid that Coach Marrs would also take his job as AD. Someone said that Coach is Assitant Principal,AD/football coach. Is this true? I dont see how he could make more money in Bristol as Football coach only!

haha yep that sounds just like him

Why dont the powers to be go after saunders. If they were going to hire Chris Jones they sure would hire Saunders.

The same reasons why no one in Virginia has hired him in the last four years. HIS REPUTATION!!!!

I dont' know the man. But i can tell you what I've heard. He is out of control at times, short temper can snap. He is loud, cursing, yelling, belligerent, obnoxious, rude, and can't stay anywhere longer than 4 years. Like i said i don't know him but this is his reputation.