Obama sets end to US combat in Iraq by Aug. 2010

total

getting the troops out of Iraq was a big reason why many voted for him... he followed through with his promise

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090227/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_iraq

Obama's shown himself good with his words, but will he actually follow through. So far the two haven't coincided.

And why August 2010? Quick, someone tell me what happens in November 2010...

Guest JJBrickface
uh - senate elections? why would he care about that? he's the President now...

You can't be serious, can you?

well, I guess he would care about a majority in the House and/or Senate... I was just saying that he's not the senator any more and won't be part of that election. I wasn't reading between the lines... and I'm not very good at guessing games either - just ask my wife

Well theres no dout hes sending people over because i signed with the army over christmas break and they have already informed me that i will be serving my first tour in Afganistan. And he is going to keep a couple thousand troops in Iraq until they are for sure Iraqs elections have gone smoothly.

well, I guess he would care about a majority in the House and/or Senate... I was just saying that he's not the senator any more and won't be part of that election. I wasn't reading between the lines... and I'm not very good at guessing games either - just ask my wife

Haha, it's cool.

Both the House and 1/3 of the Senate are reelected every two years.

Bring the troops "home" (AKA ship them to Afghanistan) = Obamania = House/Senate gains.

Call me cynical, but that's the ONLY reason I believe he's doing this. I really do.

Haha, it's cool.

Bring the troops "home" (AKA ship them to Afghanistan) = Obamania = House/Senate gains.

Call me cynical, but that's the ONLY reason I believe he's doing this. I really do.

cant wait to wave that white towel to get some presure off his terrorist buddies

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I honestly think more liberals are upset about this than conservatives...

Haha, it's cool.

I disagree, this has been the expectations for years, reducing troops in iraq and then shifting focus elsewhere that is..

I'll have to agree to disagree. Why not December 2009? Why not March 2010? Too close to election time to be a coincidence.

I guess the bigger point I was making was this is not the presidents plan, it's a plan the military has had for years, they had a basic time line since last year, they were handing over power to the iraqis in certain provinces since '07,. The date by a few months isn't really something that makes much of a difference, I don't really consider it relevant to the elections myself.

cant wait to wave that white towel to get some presure off his terrorist buddies

you must be right because everyone knows president obama is cool with all the terrorists. they go way back, don't they?

getting the troops out of Iraq was a big reason why many voted for him... he followed through with his promise

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090227/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_iraq

Yep, he sure followed through. Find out the facts before you start glorifying the man with the Messiah complex.

Barack Obama will be leaving 50,000 troops in Iraq. The majority of Dems are not satisfied with this move and many object to it, he IS pulling the troops out, but he is leaving 50,000 behind.

When he campaigned many people were under the impression that "pull out of Iraq," meant remove all troops, IT Does not mean they will all be coming home.

If President Bush had said he was going to pull them out and then leave 50,000 behind, the Media would be crucifying the man right now for not telling the whole truth. Obama realizes that in order to do it right, he must leave some behind, that it is impossible to completely remove all troops. He is now part of the SYSTEM, the troops aren't going anywhere, anytime soon!

Yep, he sure followed through. Find out the facts before you start glorifying the man with the Messiah complex.

Barack Obama will be leaving 50,000 troops in Iraq. The majority of Dems are not satisfied with this move and many object to it, he IS pulling the troops out, but he is leaving 50,000 behind.

When he campaigned many people were under the impression that "pull out of Iraq," meant remove all troops, IT Does not mean they will all be coming home.

If President Bush had said he was going to pull them out and then leave 50,000 behind, the Media would be crucifying the man right now for not telling the whole truth. Obama realizes that in order to do it right, he must leave some behind, that it is impossible to completely remove all troops. He is now part of the SYSTEM, the troops aren't going anywhere, anytime soon!

Anyone who voted for Obama based on the fact that he'd pull all the troops out of Iraq needs to either become well-versed in common sense or get over the Obamania. If it's any indicator of how long at least some troops will be there, don't we have 12K troops stationed on the Korean Peninsula today? That was almost 60 years ago.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

What he said. A lot of Democrats are up in arms over this.

What makes this entire situation so pathetic. Is that the uninformed, ignorant Obama supporters who opposed the war, will take this and make an argument that Obama kept his promise to pull them out, and argue that he's a man of his word! All the while not understanding the facts about the pull out............

This kind of crap kills me, however, it is this very type of person that helped get the man elected. Don't get me wrong, I didn't care much for McCain either, in fact I believe that both parties are corrupt to the core and a NEW ALTERNATIVE IS NEEDED IN WASHINGTON.

http://www.restoretherepublic.com

What makes this entire situation so pathetic. Is that the uninformed, ignorant Obama supporters who opposed the war, will take this and make an argument that Obama kept his promise to pull them out, and argue that he's a man of his word! All the while not understanding the facts about the pull out............

This kind of crap kills me, however, it is this very type of person that helped get the man elected. Don't get me wrong, I didn't care much for McCain either, in fact I believe that both parties are corrupt to the core and a NEW ALTERNATIVE IS NEEDED IN WASHINGTON.

http://www.restoretherepublic.com

i agree with you completely and what is sad is these obama lovers are gonna be hooping and hallaing until they realize that their son or daughter dosent get to come home that he or she was lucky enough to go straight into afganastan wow what a present from our wonderful president (not)