Upset??????

dodirty2012

Guest BEAVERTAIL
VT has shot 89 less free throws than UNC on the season...but only 115 more than their opponents unlike the nearly 300 more that UNC shot vs. their opponents.

Wrong again. Counting the 14 that Hansbrough shot today, he has been to the line 243 times compared to 241 for Delaney.

How about the fact that he has scored more from the free throw line than ANY player in NCAA history???

It is relevant because the officials continue to give him ALL the calls and put him on the free throw line. Nine times out of ten, Hansbrough is the one creating the contact and ten times out of ten the other player gets called for the foul. Do you know how many times Hansbrough has fouled out this season??? ONCE. A player who is that physical can not only foul out once if the calls were fair. Hansbrough is the ACC's Golden Child and the officials have been instructed to protect their "Precious"...

Wrong.

Tyler Hansbrough has shot 229 FTs BEFORE todays game, when we started this fiasco. You added the extra FTs from todays game. Same with the first stat with game by game, it was AFTER todays game...

Why does UNC get more FTs? Well for one when you win games, close games, you get fouled at the end. VT hasnt been able to do that.

If he got all the calls, why didnt he get the last one from the game today???

Its funny that you mention he scored the most from the charity stripe than anyone else... cause he also shot 300 more FTs than Tyler has now in 32 less games. The other guys TH passed, played 3 years.

And if he is their golden child, why does he average the same in conference FTAPG, as the out of conference?

Why hasnt he fouled out? Well, duh. He doesnt even play anyone even close to resembling a scorer in the paint. Roy isnt dumb. He has Deon and Davis to do that. And yes he is physical, but not on the defensive end at all. He has a WHOPPING 12 blocks on the entire year... wow. Tyler isnt dumb either, if he picks up a few he backs off.

Edited by BEAVERTAIL

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEAVERTAIL
You lost me when you said Eades.

Oh you mean one of the most worked officials in the country, has worked the UNC Duke game, the ACC championship, numerous playoff games, and call me crazy will have a Final Four soon.

Look, im not a worshiper of Eades like most official's in the area are but I will say he is one of the best in the country. Look guys, on some games he makes me mad too, but he is the best at what he does. We all get mad when a team we are cheering for is losing.

And in your case Rabidbeaver, you hate him cause you grew up with him and played against him.

And Gman and BHS1976, you should love him. He gives TH less free throws than anyone from what I have seen. But you know what, that may very well be bias.

Oh you mean one of the most worked officials in the country, has worked the UNC Duke game, the ACC championship, numerous playoff games, and call me crazy will have a Final Four soon.

Look, im not a worshiper of Eades like most official's in the area are but I will say he is one of the best in the country. Look guys, on some games he makes me mad too, but he is the best at what he does. We all get mad when a team we are cheering for is losing.

And in your case Rabidbeaver, you hate him cause you grew up with him and played against him.

And Gman and BHS1976, you should love him. He gives TH less free throws than anyone from what I have seen. But you know what, that may very well be bias.

I don't hate him...actually him and I get along pretty well and have played with him on the same team in the North-South all-star game and in some other basketball tournaments after our college careers were over, but a lot of people outside of the officials fraternity think that Coach K has Eades in his back pocket...this possibly started when Eades and his crew were SUSPENDED by the ACC for at least a game when Sheldon Williams took a deliberate swing at a Florida State player and when Eades went to break up a possible fight Eades did not hesitate to throw out the player from Florida State without doing anthing to Williams.

He covers UVA athletics for the R.T. and you have had pretty much have the same opinions you post on here about UVA that he writes in his articles. Not to mention, the guy is probably one of the best high school football talent evaluators in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

I know good and well that Doughty covers UVA athletics for the Roanoke Times. I've read more than enough of him over the history of my UVA fandom. Enough to where I pick up an article not to read about happenings in UVA athletics, but to see how whacked up his perspective is.

Hence my point that most everything he writes falls into the categories of:

1. "I already knew that, there's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back",

2. "This article was pointless", OR

3. "Did a 3rd-grader write this? It sure seems like it, because it's completely ludicrous".

Also, talent evaluator /= good sportswriter.

Doughty is a terrible sportswriter now, and he gets worse by the year. He's actually WORSE than he was when he wrote for the Cavalier Daily way, way back when. I've actually looked up some old copies of his work, and was amazed that he was actually a decent writer in college.

And a good 90% of the UVA fanbase agrees with me on this one.

Edited by UVAObserver

The ACC schedules the conference games, not the A.Ds. Each school has to deal with what conference schedule they are handed each season. V.T. had their home game against UVA a week before the students got back which was a total screw up on the part on the ACC. How can you schedule a game between two schools that each other is their biggest rival knowing the students won't be there?

Then I stand corrected on that, thanks.

It still stands that it's an incredibly poor scheduling job.

UNC, 22-29 free throws...FSU, 9-15 free throws...UNC made seven more than FSU attempted...

On the season...

UNC...625-821 free throws

Their opponents...364-523 free throws

It was be nice to the opportunity to score 300 more points than your opponents during the season...

Still getting a taste of it, aren't you, Hokies?

Get ready, for there's lots more where this came from.

Since 2005, since all the teams have called the ACC home, only 3 of the 12 teams have shot more FTs than their opponents.

1. Duke

2. UNC

3. Maryland

And if I remember my sources correctly, Maryland's only about +60 or so.

Reputation earns the calls. It shouldn't, but it sure-as-daylight does.

You lost me when you said Eades.

Agreed! Eades is one of the worst...

As far as officiating college basketball, the Big East has the best overall officials. They don't play "homer" to any one or two teams in the Conference, they call games as fairly as humanly possible, and best of all, they are CONSISTENT with their calls.

Still getting a taste of it, aren't you, Hokies?

Get ready, for there's lots more where this came from.

Since 2005, since all the teams have called the ACC home, only 3 of the 12 teams have shot more FTs than their opponents.

1. Duke

2. UNC

3. Maryland

And if I remember my sources correctly, Maryland's only about +60 or so.

Reputation earns the calls. It shouldn't, but it sure-as-daylight does.

Excellent numbers! Thank you for helping prove my point!

Then I stand corrected on that, thanks.

It still stands that it's an incredibly poor scheduling job.

Once again, a BIG thanks goes out to the ACC who loves to protect the "golden boys"...UNC & Duke...

but a lot of people outside of the officials fraternity think that coach k has eades in his back pocket...this possibly started when eades and his crew were suspended by the acc for at least a game when sheldon williams took a deliberate swing at a florida state player and when eades went to break up a possible fight eades did not hesitate to throw out the player from florida state without doing anthing to williams.

bam!!!!

I'll agree that basketball is the hardest sport to call, but Eades is still a joke of an official. He was in high school and he is also a good example of "it pays to know people" like Rod Thorn.

In a final word about Tyler, two years ago in Blacksburg I witnessed with my own eyes that guy get away with physically being on Jamon Gordon's back going for a rebound off a missed free throw and not get called. He was practically sitting on Gordon and never anything close to a call was going to be made when it was clear as day. He pretty much "piggy backed" Jamon.

I get sick and tired of watching the biased calls whenever Duke and UNC are playing anyone. The most recent two games in Blacksburg were a good example of that. In the Duke game, V.T. was whistled for seven OFFENSIVE FOULS!!! Come on! I've never seen that many offensive fouls called on any one team in a game! In the UNC game, I witnessed right in front of me Davis and Hansbrough get away with pushing off going for rebounds. Hell, there was a call that went against Malcom Delaney going for a rebound when Danny Green comes crashing into Malcolm's back like a wrestler jumping off the top rope and guess who the call goes against?? That's right, Malcolm.

Guest JJBrickface

GMAN,

I have to agree and disagree with you about the Big East officials. I think you are right that they don't really protect anyone team, which is great. However some of the calls they "miss" at times are unbelievable. Jay Bilas even went after them the other night at their inconsistency. The Big East has two veteran officials in Tim Higgins and Jim Burr, they are two of the most inconsistent officials out there. Some of the younger refs in the league aren't bad but they have to follow those two guys leads. There was one play the other night against Pitt when DaJuan Blair dipped his shoulder and plowed into a WVU defender knocking him over. Burr was directly in front to see it and called nothing. Bilas already fed up said that Burr needs to stop acting like a scarecrow and blow the whiste.

GMAN,

I have to agree and disagree with you about the Big East officials. I think you are right that they don't really protect anyone team, which is great. However some of the calls they "miss" at times are unbelievable. Jay Bilas even went after them the other night at their inconsistency. The Big East has two veteran officials in Tim Higgins and Jim Burr, they are two of the most inconsistent officials out there. Some of the younger refs in the league aren't bad but they have to follow those two guys leads. There was one play the other night against Pitt when DaJuan Blair dipped his shoulder and plowed into a WVU defender knocking him over. Burr was directly in front to see it and called nothing. Bilas already fed up said that Burr needs to stop acting like a scarecrow and blow the whiste.

I guess I can say the Big East officials are the best because I have an unbiased opinion when it comes to Big East teams. However, one thing I have noticed and like about the Big East officials is they let the players determine the outcome of the game. They don't "take control" over the outcome of any game like the ACC officials do with UNC and Duke. Granted, all officials will miss calls from time to time but ACC officials seem to "miss" calls more often than not.

BTW...Jay Bilas...Duke homer...he's used to getting calls go his way...enough said...

http://www.dukeupdate.com/Alumni/jay_bilas.htm

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I am not a homer, it is just I do not think the higher ups in the ACC decide who wins games or protects another.

The only way you can convince me that one team gets more calls than another on a consistent basis is because of coaching. And arguably the 3 teams you listed have the best coaches for getting into officials heads.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
but a lot of people outside of the officials fraternity think that Coach K has Eades in his back pocket...this possibly started when Eades and his crew were SUSPENDED by the ACC for at least a game when Sheldon Williams took a deliberate swing at a Florida State player and when Eades went to break up a possible fight Eades did not hesitate to throw out the player from Florida State without doing anthing to Williams.

At least get the story straight.

Eades gave BOTH players Ts, and it happened to be the FSU player's, Johnson, 5th foul.

He did not eject either, and both received the same punishment. None of us knows what was said between the 2.

In addition, Duke lost 2 of the next 3 games Eades officiated.

I am not a homer, it is just I do not think the higher ups in the ACC decide who wins games or protects another.

You have a lot to learn...you don't know how the "Good Ole Boy" network operates in the ACC...

At least get the story straight.

Eades gave BOTH players Ts, and it happened to be the FSU player's, Johnson, 5th foul.

He did not eject either, and both received the same punishment. None of us knows what was said between the 2.

In addition, Duke lost 2 of the next 3 games Eades officiated.

Well if it was just that simple then why did Eades and his crew get suspended by the ACC?...Him and his crew must have done something to warrant that kind of punishment, because conferences just don't give out suspensions for no reason at all because it will give the perception that your conference officials are incompetent.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/06/AR2006020601525.html

League Suspends Duke-Florida State Game Officials

By Mark Schlabach

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, February 7, 2006; Page E06

The ACC suspended three game officials yesterday for making an incorrect call in the second half of No. 2 Duke's 97-96 overtime victory over Florida State on Saturday at Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, N.C. Edward Corbett, Raymond Natili and Mike Eades were suspended from working their next game, ACC men's basketball officials coordinator John Clougherty said in a statement released by the conference.

With about 9 1/2 minutes to play in the second half, Florida State forward Alexander Johnson fouled Duke's Shelden Williams as he drove to the basket. Williams fell, and Johnson was assessed an intentional foul, his fourth personal foul. Television replays showed Williams then jumped up and charged with his right shoulder and forearm lowered into Johnson, who backed away. The players were each given a technical foul, resulting in Johnson's disqualification for five fouls.

In the brief statement, Clougherty said Johnson's technical foul "should not have been assessed. Because of this incorrect assessment and handling of the dead ball technical foul situation, the officials that worked the contest will each be suspended for their next game."

The technical foul was Williams's fourth foul, but he played the rest of the game, making the winning free throws with 3.3 seconds left in overtime. The senior all-American finished with 27 points and 13 rebounds. Duke made 31 of 43 foul-shot attempts in the game; Florida State made 10 of 11.

When asked for his reaction during a teleconference with reporters yesterday, Florida State Coach Leonard Hamilton said, "I think I will let the ACC's action speak for itself."

The Seminoles (13-6, 4-5) are contending for an at-large spot in the NCAA tournament, and a victory over the Blue Devils would have greatly helped their standing.

There was questionable officiating in the Blue Devils' games last week. In the final seconds of Duke's 83-81 victory at Boston College last Wednesday night, the officials working that game -- Gary Maxwell, Reggie Greenwood and Duke Edsall -- were criticized for not assessing a foul to Williams when he blocked Tyrese Rice's attempted layup with about seven seconds left. The Blue Devils attempted 37 free throws in that game; the Eagles shot 13.

Some ACC coaches have long suggested the Blue Devils often get the benefit of doubt from officials and always seem to get the critical calls. Duke, which tonight plays North Carolina at Smith Center in Chapel Hill, is 21-1 overall and 9-0 in the ACC, two games ahead of N.C. State in the conference standings.

"I wondered if Duke would start getting all the calls once they started contending for a number one seed in the NCAA tournament," said one ACC coach, who requested anonymity for fear of discipline from the league.

Another ACC coach said the league's actions against the officials might change the way Duke's games are officiated.

"Everybody left who plays Duke is going to get a fair chance now because it's never been under more scrutiny," the ACC coach said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/06/AR2006020601525.html

League Suspends Duke-Florida State Game Officials

By Mark Schlabach

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, February 7, 2006; Page E06

The ACC suspended three game officials yesterday for making an incorrect call in the second half of No. 2 Duke's 97-96 overtime victory over Florida State on Saturday at Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, N.C. Edward Corbett, Raymond Natili and Mike Eades were suspended from working their next game, ACC men's basketball officials coordinator John Clougherty said in a statement released by the conference.

With about 9 1/2 minutes to play in the second half, Florida State forward Alexander Johnson fouled Duke's Shelden Williams as he drove to the basket. Williams fell, and Johnson was assessed an intentional foul, his fourth personal foul. Television replays showed Williams then jumped up and charged with his right shoulder and forearm lowered into Johnson, who backed away. The players were each given a technical foul, resulting in Johnson's disqualification for five fouls.

In the brief statement, Clougherty said Johnson's technical foul "should not have been assessed. Because of this incorrect assessment and handling of the dead ball technical foul situation, the officials that worked the contest will each be suspended for their next game."

The technical foul was Williams's fourth foul, but he played the rest of the game, making the winning free throws with 3.3 seconds left in overtime. The senior all-American finished with 27 points and 13 rebounds. Duke made 31 of 43 foul-shot attempts in the game; Florida State made 10 of 11.

When asked for his reaction during a teleconference with reporters yesterday, Florida State Coach Leonard Hamilton said, "I think I will let the ACC's action speak for itself."

The Seminoles (13-6, 4-5) are contending for an at-large spot in the NCAA tournament, and a victory over the Blue Devils would have greatly helped their standing.

There was questionable officiating in the Blue Devils' games last week. In the final seconds of Duke's 83-81 victory at Boston College last Wednesday night, the officials working that game -- Gary Maxwell, Reggie Greenwood and Duke Edsall -- were criticized for not assessing a foul to Williams when he blocked Tyrese Rice's attempted layup with about seven seconds left. The Blue Devils attempted 37 free throws in that game; the Eagles shot 13.

Some ACC coaches have long suggested the Blue Devils often get the benefit of doubt from officials and always seem to get the critical calls. Duke, which tonight plays North Carolina at Smith Center in Chapel Hill, is 21-1 overall and 9-0 in the ACC, two games ahead of N.C. State in the conference standings.

"I wondered if Duke would start getting all the calls once they started contending for a number one seed in the NCAA tournament," said one ACC coach, who requested anonymity for fear of discipline from the league.

Another ACC coach said the league's actions against the officials might change the way Duke's games are officiated.

"Everybody left who plays Duke is going to get a fair chance now because it's never been under more scrutiny," the ACC coach said.

Great find hokie07...like I said earlier, outside of the officials fraternity and dook fans the perception is Coach K has refs in his back pocket.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Great find hokie07...like I said earlier, outside of the officials fraternity and dook fans the perception is Coach K has refs in his back pocket.

Im just glad that myself and Mr. Schablach agreed almost exactly with the events that transpired.

And trust me, when you give T's, you become full of adrenaline and your world gets a little fuzzy. You guys have no idea. Eades probably did make a mistake. I kind of feel like I missed out by not giving a few out this year lol...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

For all those who believe the ACC has the worst officials, PLEASE watch the SEC championship highlights on ESPN. PLEASE. When it gets on youtube, ill post it on here. I promise it is youtube worthy.

Im just glad that myself and Mr. Schablach agreed almost exactly with the events that transpired.

And trust me, when you give T's, you become full of adrenaline and your world gets a little fuzzy. You guys have no idea. Eades probably did make a mistake. I kind of feel like I missed out by not giving a few out this year lol...

I feel ya...sometimes I wish that coaches would recieve more T's then they get.

If you think the ACC Men's officiating is bad, just watch a women's game.

I sat in Greensboro in 2005 and watched UNC get away with felonious assault when UVA was up by 17 with 18 minutes to go in the ACC Semifinals. I saw Jocelyn Logan-Friend get tomahawked by UNC's center, and not get the call; while on the opposite end, she was called with a hand-check. Not impossible to guess who won that game.

Oh, did I mention that was in Greensboro. And that we were playing UNC.