Upset??????

dodirty2012

Guest BEAVERTAIL
They get it exposed in the NBA though because they don't get those calls.

You cant be serious?

And it was not a foul, and I desperately wanted VT to win. On the game in general, I do not know as I listened on the radio to most of it. ACC officials are the best in the country guys, sorry to rain on your parade. Every game is analyzed from almost 72 camera positions and each official gets rated by the coaches. They also pay the most. And trust me, from watching the other conference officials they truly are.

And trust me, from officiating basketball I have been corrupted to watching the refs more than the actual game, and the ACC is tops. PAC 10 worst.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JJBrickface
You cant be serious?

And it was not a foul, and I desperately wanted VT to win. On the game in general, I do not know as I listened on the radio to most of it. ACC officials are the best in the country guys, sorry to rain on your parade. Every game is analyzed from almost 72 camera positions and each official gets rated by the coaches. They also pay the most. And trust me, from watching the other conference officials they truly are.

And trust me, from officiating basketball I have been corrupted to watching the refs more than the actual game, and the ACC is tops. PAC 10 worst.

I can't really comment on that particular call as I have not seen it on video, however I stand by my statement. WHen a guy like Hansbrough gets to the NBA he will be on the bottom rung of the ladder and wont get away with calls.

In his first two years at VT, Seth Greenberg's teams were 9-2 in games decided by 3 points or less.

In the last four years, his teams are 12-22 in games decided by 3 points or less...

They have no depth. They basically have 3 players. Those guys have to do it all and in the stretch, they're used up and can't hang in the final few minutes with teams with more depth.

I can't really comment on that particular call as I have not seen it on video, however I stand by my statement. WHen a guy like Hansbrough gets to the NBA he will be on the bottom rung of the ladder and wont get away with calls.

Yeah I agree with your statement it happens every year guys like Hansbrough, Jay Williams, J.J. Reddick, Christian Laetner, Eric Montose were all great at UNC and Duke they get to the NBA and the calls start going the other way and they get exposed, first time Hansbrough is standing in the lane and either Lebron, Kobe or Dwight Howard come driving they will not only dunk on him but it is going to be a 3 point play to because he will be the one on the wrong side of all these calls he has been getting

Doug Doughty from the Roanoke Times said yesterday "In a word ACC officiating is pathetic."

98% of the time I have watched a defensive player reach for the ball from an offensive player near the goal from the back side of the offensive player, the defensive player gets whistled for a foul. In the times I've seen Tyler play, he gets away with more contact then Michael Jordan would get away with.

LOL, I stopped reading at Doug Doughty. ;)

But seriously, if you ever see that name on an article, you're wise to drop it. The worst sports reporter in the state of Virginia, IMO. I cannot count the times I've read an article of his and came away with the impression that "this is a waste of space", "I already knew this", or "you'd have to be an idiot to believe this". And he's a UVA graduate...

Edited by UVAObserver

Oh yeah Tech blew their shot in the NCAAs the same they do every year by losing those early out of conference games (Xavier, GA, Seton Hall, Wisconsin by a total of 8 points)and losing to weaker conference games (UVA, Maryland) another problem is they got 4 ranked teams (Duke, Clemson, NC and FSU) twice each but only got one game against GATech and Miami. It just kills me to watch the excitment in some of the other conferences when an underdog gets into the finals wins knowing that the ACC officials will do everything they can to make sure that doesnt happen in our conference

Maryland's a stronger, better team than Tech, so I must disagree with that assertion.

However, I do agree that your AD did an undeniably crappy job when scheduling. Loading up with great teams at the end of the schedule = BAD.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

In the NBA, it is even worse and thats what I was getting at. Dwayne Wade, Chris Paul, Kobe and others get all kinds of calls that they do not deserve.

On another note, Tyler Hansbrough over the course of the year has recieved 3 less free throws a game than last year, and considerably less in ACC play.

Maryland's a stronger, better team than Tech, so I must disagree with that assertion.

However, I do agree that your AD did an undeniably crappy job when scheduling. Loading up with great teams at the end of the schedule = BAD.

The ACC schedules the conference games, not the A.Ds. Each school has to deal with what conference schedule they are handed each season. V.T. had their home game against UVA a week before the students got back which was a total screw up on the part on the ACC. How can you schedule a game between two schools that each other is their biggest rival knowing the students won't be there?

In the NBA, it is even worse and thats what I was getting at. Dwayne Wade, Chris Paul, Kobe and others get all kinds of calls that they do not deserve.

On another note, Tyler Hansbrough over the course of the year has recieved 3 less free throws a game than last year, and considerably less in ACC play.

Uh, Tyler has shot more free throws then anyone else in the history of the NCAA?? How is shooting three less free throws per game from last year relevant?

Go look up over the course of this season how many free throws UNC has made compared to the combined number of free throws their opponents have attempted and tell me what you find out, Tail. I think you will find the numbers a little lopsided in UNC's favor.

Guest JJBrickface

Yeah and thats my point. They don't deserve those calls on that level and guys like Hansbrough dont deserve the calls he gets at his level.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Hope you guys watched the game today, if Tyler gets calls he obviously didnt at the end of this game, neither did UNC.

LOL, I stopped reading at Doug Doughty. ;)

But seriously, if you ever see that name on an article, you're wise to drop it. The worst sports reporter in the state of Virginia, IMO. I cannot count the times I've read an article of his and came away with the impression that "this is a waste of space", "I already knew this", or "you'd have to be an idiot to believe this". And he's a UVA graduate...

He covers UVA athletics for the R.T. and you have had pretty much have the same opinions you post on here about UVA that he writes in his articles. Not to mention, the guy is probably one of the best high school football talent evaluators in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Uh, Tyler has shot more free throws then anyone else in the history of the NCAA?? How is shooting three less free throws per game from last year relevant?

Go look up over the course of this season how many free throws UNC has made compared to the combined number of free throws their opponents have attempted and tell me what you find out, Tail. I think you will find the numbers a little lopsided in UNC's favor.

First off, three less a game is a big deal. Thats 150+ free throws.

How bout the fact that VT has attempted 30 less free throws than UNC throughout the whole season?

Or how Malcolm Delaney has attempted more FT than Hansbrough?

How bout how almost all of the top 10 of the players in the Most Attempted FTs in the NCAA, average upwards of 10 FTs per game and sometimes close to 14. Tyler averages 8.7. Tyler had the advantage of playing 4 years.

Its all irrelevant because Tyler Hansbrough thrives on going to the free throw line, thats how he scores. He tries to get players off their feet and create contact. And he succeeds.

Edited by BEAVERTAIL

They have no depth. They basically have 3 players. Those guys have to do it all and in the stretch, they're used up and can't hang in the final few minutes with teams with more depth.

No, they had "no depth" his first two seasons...starting four freshmen his first year and four sophs his second year. Depth is not the problem, lack of knowing what to do in the clutch is...

You cant be serious?

You lost me at "ACC officials are the best in the country"....

Hope you guys watched the game today, if Tyler gets calls he obviously didnt at the end of this game, neither did UNC.

UNC, 22-29 free throws...FSU, 9-15 free throws...UNC made seven more than FSU attempted...

On the season...

UNC...625-821 free throws

Their opponents...364-523 free throws

It was be nice to the opportunity to score 300 more points than your opponents during the season...

How bout the fact that VT has attempted 30 less free throws than UNC throughout the whole season?

VT has shot 89 less free throws than UNC on the season...but only 115 more than their opponents unlike the nearly 300 more that UNC shot vs. their opponents.

Or how Malcolm Delaney has attempted more FT than Hansbrough?

Wrong again. Counting the 14 that Hansbrough shot today, he has been to the line 243 times compared to 241 for Delaney.

How bout how almost all of the top 10 of the players in the Most Attempted FTs in the NCAA, average upwards of 10 FTs per game and sometimes close to 14. Tyler averages 8.7. Tyler had the advantage of playing 4 years.

How about the fact that he has scored more from the free throw line than ANY player in NCAA history???

Its all irrelevant because Tyler Hansbrough thrives on going to the free throw line, thats how he scores. He tries to get players off their feet and create contact. And he succeeds.

It is relevant because the officials continue to give him ALL the calls and put him on the free throw line. Nine times out of ten, Hansbrough is the one creating the contact and ten times out of ten the other player gets called for the foul. Do you know how many times Hansbrough has fouled out this season??? ONCE. A player who is that physical can not only foul out once if the calls were fair. Hansbrough is the ACC's Golden Child and the officials have been instructed to protect their "Precious"...

Guest JJBrickface

Is it true that today Seth Greenberg said that the Hokies deserve to be in tournament? If it is then he has to be an idiot.

UNC, 22-29 free throws...FSU, 9-15 free throws...UNC made seven more than FSU attempted...

quote]

Yeah, and had you watched the game then you would know that FSU took (and made) a lot of jumpers while Carolina was pounding the ball inside. When one team goes inside significantly more than their opponent they're most likely going to shot more free-throws.

quote]

Yeah, and had you watched the game then you would know that FSU took (and made) a lot of jumpers while Carolina was pounding the ball inside. When one team goes inside significantly more than their opponent they're most likely going to shot more free-throws.

Well then, explain Beavertail's comment about Delaney shooting "more" free throws than Hansbrough...definitely not because Delaney is "pounding the ball inside"...

And yeh, I did watch the game and it was the same old thing...Hansbrough gets the ball, initiates contact, foul called on FSU...

I used to love watching ACC basketball regardless of who was playing. But not so much anymore knowing that whoever is playing UNC or Duke is going to get screwed...

Is it true that today Seth Greenberg said that the Hokies deserve to be in tournament? If it is then he has to be an idiot.

I don't know anything about that but after the game vs. UNC, in his post game interview, a reporter asked him about his team making the field of 64...he replied "I'm not going there. You guys can have some other village idiot give you a good story."

From his other comments, you can tell how he feels about the officiating in the VT-UNC game...

http://www.theacc.com/library/acc-video-iframe-09mbksmall.html?&videoToPlay=http://mfile.akamai.com/8108/wmv/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/acc/08-09/video/m-baskbl/03mar/09mbkg5vt.asx

Guest BEAVERTAIL
You lost me at "ACC officials are the best in the country"....

Hate to rain on your parade, but just like the ACC over the past years have been the premier conference in basketball, they have been the premier basketball conference for officials. The ACC gets the best because they are the best, and they pay the best.

Secondly, I hope you make it this far, and if you have you should know that the best, work almost every conference when you combine them individually. Eades for example the SEC, and most others the Big East and Big 12. Thats the only premier conferences around and the officials often rotate but the ACC retains the best.

However go watch numerous game in any conference, and Ill tell you the officials in the ACC will be better in whole every time.

And just so you know...

Karl Hess, the man who called the jump ball, has 10+ years of NCAA tourney appearances, last years final four that I know of, and chooses the ACC over the BE and Big 10. Almost 1000 games.

Basketball is the hardest sport to officiate hands down. I often find myself questioning calls when im cheering for someone, and unfortunately when I step back and actually watch when I cool down on ESPN Classic, it was officiated well. No game will ever be perfect, but the ACC is the best you will get, including in the NBA.

Hate to rain on your parade, but just like the ACC over the past years have been the premier conference in basketball, they have been the premier basketball conference for officials. The ACC gets the best because they are the best, and they pay the best.

Secondly, I hope you make it this far, and if you have you should know that the best, work almost every conference when you combine them individually. Eades for example the SEC, and most others the Big East and Big 12. Thats the only premier conferences around and the officials often rotate but the ACC retains the best.

However go watch numerous game in any conference, and Ill tell you the officials in the ACC will be better in whole every time.

And just so you know...

Karl Hess, the man who called the jump ball, has 10+ years of NCAA tourney appearances, last years final four that I know of, and chooses the ACC over the BE and Big 10. Almost 1000 games.

Basketball is the hardest sport to officiate hands down. I often find myself questioning calls when im cheering for someone, and unfortunately when I step back and actually watch when I cool down on ESPN Classic, it was officiated well. No game will ever be perfect, but the ACC is the best you will get, including in the NBA.

You lost me when you said Eades.