Any tips?

I'm sorry I haven't updated this tread more often. But if anyone is interested in the home building process, here are a few updates.

I Posted a few new pictures on my facebook account if anyone would like to see the progress. You do not have to have a facebook account, or be my friend to view the pics. But if anyone wants to add me, than feel free.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=2c19ef8406

For everyone that said I would be over budget and behind schedule (pretty much everyone I talked to about building a house):

-Even after upgrading the shower door ($750), front door ($600), patio door ($100), water heater ($800), siding ($150), and adding cabinets in laundry room ($500) I am still $135 UNDER BUDGET! Thanks to a great deal on cabinets and counter-tops in the kitchen, and a great deal (free) on molding from a friend of mine.

-We are hoping to be in by the end of October, one month ahead of the original date set in the contract.

Just a few notes of interest:

-The rock mason should finish his work today or tomorrow.

-The interior doors, and two back doors were delivered yesterday.

-The patio door didn't fit the hole that was framed, so some alterations are needed.

-The interior doors should be hung Thursday or Friday.

-The backer board for the tile was installed on Sunday, and the tile should be put down the next rainy day that we have.

-The trim work should begin on Monday of next week

-The siding is expected to be here by the end of the week, so installation of it should begin next week.

-The front door will be here next week as well.

BBA to not be overbudget and ahead of schedule.....you hit the lottery. Are you staying there 24/7 "crackin the whip"......if not.....anyone in that area building a house needs to get the name of your contractor :) Congrats!

BBA to not be overbudget and ahead of schedule.....you hit the lottery. Are you staying there 24/7 "crackin the whip"......if not.....anyone in that area building a house needs to get the name of your contractor :) Congrats!

I haven't really had to crack the whip yet. A lot of it has just been the timing. When we started building there was not a lot going, building wise, in the area. It has picked up quite a bit since then. To begin with our contractor was able to devote a lot of time to us directly.

As far as the budget goes, it is really up to us whether we go over or not. When we started the contractor gave us a set price, and said that nothing would change unless we decide to change something. As you can tell we did decide to upgrade a few things, but we were able to save money in other areas by finding better deals, or cutting back on some other things.

I think the down fall of many home builders is that they start building, and they think they need the nicest of everything at that very moment. We realize we will probably be in the house most of our lives, so we will have time to make it just how we want it. There are somethings we decided to do now, because we know they would be a major renovation project down the road, but somethings (i.e. crown molding) can easily be added later down the road with a weekend project. Our contractor has been very helpful as far as guiding us to the things that we should do now, and things that would be ok to wait until later on.

BTW, I would be glad to recommend my contractor to anyone in the area. His name is Travis Hackworth with Twin Enterprises. http://www.twinenterprisebuilders.com

Well something is bound to happen now to throw things out of whack...building a house and being ahead of schedule and under budget is like a no-hitter...you don't talk about it 'til its finished...:D...

• 1 month later...
Well something is bound to happen now to throw things out of whack...building a house and being ahead of schedule and under budget is like a no-hitter...you don't talk about it 'til its finished...:D...

Well, we officially moved in this past weekend.

It only took 117 days from the first full day of work until the final inspection. That is under 4 months, and over 1 month ahead of schedule.

BTW, still about $1000 under budget. Of course that money was as good as gone as soon as my wife got a hold of it for decorating.

I added some pictures of the finished project to my facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=2c19ef8406

Here are a few pictures (The exterior pics of from a few weeks ago, but the inside pics are of the finished product):

100_0825.jpg

100_0832.jpg

100_0836.jpg

100_0840.jpg

Looks great BBA. Really like the "craftsman" look. (Saw all your tile....and don't know if you've already done it or not but, would seal the grout. You will be glad you did.)

How big of a project is it to seal the grout? I can check with the contractor to see if it was done by them, or if it is something I need to do.

So...when's the first "house party"??? We're all invited aren't we???

VERY NICE!!! And congrats on finishing under budget and ahead of schedule! That is truly like hitting the lotto...

Going through the same process, don't expect to close before December 1st however.

Also, congress is debating whether or not to extend the tax incentive, from what I have read, I believe they will. In addition to the tax incentive Senator Dobbs, has proposed increasing it to $15,000, probably will not pass, though.

just thought I would share this with you.........ask your tax man, he might know......

Edited by bucfan64

How big of a project is it to seal the grout? I can check with the contractor to see if it was done by them, or if it is something I need to do.

Usually the contractor doesn't do it.....unless you ask....and will more than likely be an extra charge.

The traffic areas (kitchen floor, laundry floor, bath floor,....also, inside shower if tiled floor and at least half way up.) I don't think you really need to seal your tub surround.

You can do it yourself....we used aqua mix sealer's gold choice....water based, non-toxic....big boxes don't carry it....got it from a tile dealer.

So...when's the first "house party"??? We're all invited aren't we???

VERY NICE!!! And congrats on finishing under budget and ahead of schedule! That is truly like hitting the lotto...

I was thinking the same thing about the house party!! haha

Congrats on your new home!!!!